Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV?
Mahindra XUV500 150 49.18%
Toyota Fortuner 155 50.82%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2013, 14:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Its almost decided, it'll be fortuner. He wants to make a purchase directly from heart unlike last purchase of his.
Old 22nd September 2013, 14:37   #17
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner

One point in favor of XUV is, A monocoque crossover with 3 rows exactly fits your requirement compare to a body on frame SUV, and since you are not very keen on Captiva and Santa Fe, XUV remains only contender.

Please get a detailed test drive which includes highway run also for Toyota Fortuner, to experience its handling and more importantly how It fits with your driving style.

Last edited by Vishal.R : 22nd September 2013 at 14:39.
Old 22nd September 2013, 16:01   #18
BHPian

I test drove the fortuner yesterday on Nice Road. Felt the Ride was too stiff and bumpy and there too much body roll. Brakes didn't feel right either. The heart says fortuner, but the head says no..... Felt that long drives would leave me too fatigued. Want a diesel 7seater SUV but might end up with a sedan again. The high stance doesn't lead to a comfortable drive.
Wheeliej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 17:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
Brakes didn't feel right either.
What was the year of make of the fortuner ?the older ones did have a spongy brake feeling.I have driven the 2013 model the brakes did feel better than the older ones.
Old 22nd September 2013, 17:06   #20
BHPian

Greetings,
Well first of all I have been in this dilemma twice. We were sold on toyotas right from the Qualis times. I remember at one time we had 3 of them. The innova came it took time to get used to and by the end of 2005 we had 2 of them and got rid of the Qualis's Both the vehicles ran great and we were very happy. Then the fortuner came and because of the wonderful toyota experience it was an obvious choice.
Coming from a family which loves their cars we have/had the Pajero Glx and a Montero. Whenever I had to drive out of the city I chose the mitsubhishi. In 2012 I went ahead with the fortuner because the pajero sport hadnt come. I have to say I was certainly disappointed but the fact that it was a toyota I was happy. I had a crash and the experience that followed was horrifying be it repair or service. The quality of service IMHO has certainly gone down. Once a dealer gave me a service appointment of 14 days later. We complaint of mitsubhishi not having spares just give them a 2-3 day prior appointment there is no way they won't have the spare. Finally last month I picked up the sport and boy I ll tell you one thing. It's amazing it's nothing like the older pajero the only thing that's great is the 4X4 but you won't be needing it the same cannot be said about the fortuner and innova. Innova is an extremely comfortable car and I was disappointed because I expected more from the fortuner. Only thing I got was road presence ( initially ) and ground clearance. Apart from that the captain seats on the innova are great compared to the Fortuners rear seats . Seat comfort, exclusivity ( comparatively ), ride, engine noise and everything is much better on the pajero. It produces 178 compared to a 170 bhp while it's a 2500 cc and the fort is a 3000 cc. Figures I am not a 100 percent sure but the engine is certainly quieter and has more grunt.
Mitsubhishi is not shutting shop. They plan on launching the pajero sport automatic , outlander diesel and a high end Montero . A company launching 3 vehicles won't be shutting shop for certain.
Fortuner is a good vehicle because it's a toyota and some people are happy with it. Try the pajero if you don't like it go ahead with the fortuner .
Regards
Imran
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 18:04   #21
BHPian

some of OP's initial cost would be offset by the better resale value of the Fortuner 5 years later. In this calculation, one should also factor in the interest lost for the extra 10L that you spend on the Fortuner.

Costs aside, there is no comparison between a Toyota and a Mahindra vehicle.
Old 22nd September 2013, 18:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
some of OP's initial cost would be offset by the better resale value of the Fortuner 5 years later. In this calculation, one should also factor in the interest lost for the extra 10L that you spend on the Fortuner.

Costs aside, there is no comparison between a Toyota and a Mahindra vehicle.
Exactly, today when we met we were discussing the same thing, that extra 10l we spend now on xuv over fortuner, will come back, when he sells the car, say 5 yrs down the line.

If galaxy moti nagar had the td fortuner, today the decision would have been finalized. Nor the xuv guy came, even after committing, nor the galaxy arranged a td vehicle, even after requesting them 2 days before hand. I was not at all satisfied with galaxy, they are not at all, interested in selling the fortuner.
Old 22nd September 2013, 19:03   #23
Team-BHP Support

Mohit as much as I find the Fortuner overpriced, if you are prepared to spend that much pick it up over the XUV. I would say the Pajero is a better buy, but you seem to be against it.

The XUV still has niggles, and I didn't like the build quality at all. Also it'll still take a few years for M&M to match Toyota in the quality of interiors.

Why not think about the A/T? If you are already spending that much, spend a bit more and get some convenience too. I'm sure it will last more than 5 years, might as well get some help in traffic.

Also since its mainly going to be on road, maybe switching the tyres to something more comfortable like Michelins will help with the ride quality to some extent.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 19:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran Ahmad Ali View Post
Greetings,
Well first of all I have been in this dilemma twice. We were sold on toyotas right from the Qualis times. I remember at one time we had 3 of them. The
Mitsubhishi is not shutting shop. They plan on launching the pajero sport automatic , outlander diesel and a high end Montero . A company launching 3 vehicles won't be shutting shop for certain.
Fortuner is a good vehicle because it's a toyota and some people are happy with it. Try the pajero if you don't like it go ahead with the fortuner .
Regards
Imran
Hello

WRT your comment about Pajero Sport AT - Is this information in the public domain? Or have you gathered this during your interaction with the company or it's dealers?

Regards
Old 22nd September 2013, 21:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
What was the year of make of the fortuner ?the older ones did have a spongy brake feeling.I have driven the 2013 model the brakes did feel better than the older ones.
Hi, it was the 2012 one, since the sales exec specifically said it was a 4 speed auto while the 2013 one was a 5 speed auto.
Old 22nd September 2013, 22:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Mohit, TD both the vehicles, but remember, Fortuner is not known for good ride quality. I believe after ride quality of Innova, you will not be happy with ride quality of Fortuner. Only when the road is really non existent, does Fortuner come into its own, else it does not ride as well as Innova or XUV ( or even Safari ).

Moreover, check for refinement also, mainly engine noise. Innova is very famous for a noisy engine and so is Fortuner. Even after spending quarter of a crore INR on Fortuner, the engine remains noisy. XUV has less engine noise filtering into cabin which goes a long way in enhancing comfort on long drives ( coupled with better ride ). Its not that Fortuner does not roll, it does but relatively less compared to Rexton. XUV has slightly less roll than Fortuner ( from my experience ).

TD XUV and even Pajero Sport along with Fortuner. Fortuner is obviously the decision of heart rather than head due to noisy engine and not-so-settled ride.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 22nd September 2013 at 22:22.
Old 22nd September 2013, 22:46   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Same with Mahindra. After duly confirming with the SA to get the TD vehicle to my place, cancelling all other plans, he still didn't show up.
Doc, Toyota is way more arrogant than M&M, in most areas across the country.

Let me know if you need any help with M&M at the NCR, it will be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
I test drove the fortuner yesterday on Nice Road. Felt the Ride was too stiff and bumpy and there too much body roll. Brakes didn't feel right either.
Try the Pajero Sport, it is a far better vehicle than the Fortuner in terms of ride quality, interior quality, refinement and performance.

Last edited by n.devdath : 22nd September 2013 at 22:50.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Hello WRT your comment about Pajero Sport AT - Is this information in the public domain? Or have you gathered this during your interaction with the company or it's dealers? Regards
It's not public news as of now. They're gathering feedback of the features that the AT should come with. I am more of a MT person so went ahead with the same . Next year mitsubhishi will launch these vehicles and have their basic emphasis on only SUVs .
Regards
Imran
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:34   #29
BHPian

You seem inclined towards the fortuner for the obvious reasons you have mentioned. And I do agree with all of them and would pick fortuner out of the two if you are ok with the price.
But a question arises in my mind, why aren't you considering rexton? It comes from m&m which you are considering, is relatively better built and reliable than xuv. Tried and tested (in other markets), looks better, offers AT also with awd. Has 3 rows, is also body on frame like fortuner. Had taken a test drive, and I came impressed. Above all saves you money for the polo gt!
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
You seem inclined towards the fortuner for the obvious reasons you have mentioned. And I do agree with all of them and would pick fortuner out of the two if you are ok with the price.
But a question arises in my mind, why aren't you considering rexton? It comes from m&m which you are considering, is relatively better built and reliable than xuv. Tried and tested (in other markets), looks better, offers AT also with awd. Has 3 rows, is also body on frame like fortuner. Had taken a test drive, and I came impressed. Above all saves you money for the polo gt!
Rexton mt is 22 on road here in Delhi. We (mohit n me) did checked it out, but the last bench was useless, atleast we were able to sit in last row of fortuner and xuv. In Rexton its pretty much useless. Also, when we are looking at spending 22 on Rexton, the fortuner at 26 isn't far away and seems like a good buy from that point.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks