Mahindra XUV500 150 49.18%
Toyota Fortuner 155 50.82%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:57   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

Rexton mt is 22 on road here in Delhi. We (mohit n me) did checked it out, but the last bench was useless, atleast we were able to sit in last row of fortuner and xuv. In Rexton its pretty much useless. Also, when we are looking at spending 22 on Rexton, the fortuner at 26 isn't far away and seems like a good buy from that point.
That is exactly what I said, if you have the money go for fortuner. As far as last bench is considered, IMO innova is best, rest all give a makeshift arrangement. But how many times would you use it to ferry people is the question you guys should answer.
Old 23rd September 2013, 00:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Doc, Toyota is way more arrogant than M&M, in most areas across the country. Let me know if you need any help with M&M at the NCR, it will be done. Try the Pajero Sport, it is a far better vehicle than the Fortuner in terms of ride quality, interior quality, refinement and performance.
reading all threads. Has the auto Pajero been launched? Am particular about AT.

Last edited by Wheeliej : 23rd September 2013 at 00:13.
Old 23rd September 2013, 00:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
reading all threads. Has the auto Pajero been launched? Am particular about AT.
No, no at pajero so far.
Old 23rd September 2013, 05:27   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing all your opinions on the thread guys. From the last 2 pages I feel that there is more or less one general consensus that if you can afford 25L then go for the Fortuner over the XUV and I have more or less decided to go with that too. The TDs were not possible yesterday. I would certainly take a longish TD of both the vehicles still before putting down my money. Have driven the Fortuner once in the city traffic for a fairly good distance and it brought a smile that time but then again I am smitten by the Fortuner.

Also will certainly take a good look at the Pajero sport. Till now it didn't figure out on the list but if it turns out be as good as being claimed then who knows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
As far as last bench is considered, IMO innova is best, rest all give a makeshift arrangement. But how many times would you use it to ferry people is the question you guys should answer.
Rexton is a very handsome car if you are willing to put that much money on the brand ( basically Mahindra). The recent price hikes have made it slightly non attractive though with the RX7 AT costing 25L OTR Delhi. Thats seriously close to the tried and tested SUVs of our market.
In my case more than anything it was the last row of the Rexton that was the deal breaker. It is non existent and is more like a seat kept on the floor of the boot without any space too accommodate the legs of the passenger. Only option is to sit cross legged or let only kids be there. I needed a 7 seater.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2013 at 14:39. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another! Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:47   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Fortuner

Mod Note : Public Poll Added

Between the two, my pick would be the XUV500.

The Fortuner is way too bumpy. The XUV's ride & handling are noticeably superior (monocoque vs ladder on frame construction). Fact is, it'll run rings around the Fortuner. The XUV500 is also fast, has superior equipment levels and is a whopping 10 lakhs cheaper.

Going by ownership threads, the newer lot of XUVs have their niggles sorted out. While some bugs & issues will always remain in a Mahindra vehicle, they're smaller in nature & not going to leave you stranded by the road.

Invest the 10 lakh differential and you've effectively used the XUV500 for free (i.e. income on a million rupees will equal the depreciation suffered in say, 5 years).

If I were to buy a Fortuner today, it would only be via the pre-owned route. Now that makes a whole lot of sense. Considering its durability, a well-maintained example should easily last you 2 - 3 lakh kms.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2013 at 14:49.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:18   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I were to buy a Fortuner today, it would only be via the pre-owned route. Now that makes a whole lot of sense. Considering its durability, a well-maintained example should easily last you 2 - 3 lakh kms.
I totally agree with that. Infact we have always bought most of our cars pre-owned only. But its proving to be extremely difficult to find a relatively less run Fortuner, priced normally. Most of the examples are priced atrociously.
And yes the VFM positioning of the XUV is what is causing all the doubt in the first place.
Old 23rd September 2013, 18:23   #37
BHPian

Voted for XUV5OO:
- The price (The difference of Rs. 1 million would give you 4.5 lakh rupees of FD interest in 5 years)
- You have no intention for off-roading. So naturally a better ride and handling package would make better sense.
- I think equipment wise XUV would have an edge.

However, a serious look at Pajero Sport is a must...
Old 23rd September 2013, 18:44   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Voted for XUV5OO:
- The price (The difference of Rs. 1 million would give you 4.5 lakh rupees of FD interest in 5 years)
- You have no intention for off-roading. So naturally a better ride and handling package would make better sense.
- I think equipment wise XUV would have an edge.

However, a serious look at Pajero Sport is a must...
Why do you advocate the Pajero sport? The price difference is even bigger between the Pajero and the XUV. Equipment wise too there is nothing much that the Pajero offers. And ride quality is going to be similar to the Fortuner and much inferior to the XUV.

The poll above might not give a fair result in this case. Before voting one needs to know that choose assuming that you have 25L Rs for your next SUV which you are going to keep for 5+ years.
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why do you advocate the Pajero sport? The price difference is even bigger between the Pajero and the XUV. Equipment wise too there is nothing much that the Pajero offers. And ride quality is going to be similar to the Fortuner and much inferior to the XUV.

The poll above might not give a fair result in this case. Before voting one needs to know that choose assuming that you have 25L Rs for your next SUV which you are going to keep for 5+ years.
If I am not wrong, you get a 4X4 Pajero Sport almost at the price of Fortuner 4X2. I have seen some of the youtube reviews that rate Pajero much better in ride and handling than the Fortuner. So I was just suggesting that if you haven't taken a test drive of a Pajero Sport, its a good idea to take one. Who knows if it is THE ONE for you?!

Now regardless of that, my vote still goes for XUV5OO for the other reasons stated in my previous post - even if the poll had Pajero Sport as an option. So don't worry, my vote would not give any unfair result.
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
If I am not wrong, you get a 4X4 Pajero Sport almost at the price of Fortuner 4X2.
Pajero sport is more expensive than the Fortuner! + You don't get the same peace of mind that you get when you buy a product with the T Badge.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 7241
Size:  48.4 KB

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 23rd September 2013 at 19:32.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me get this right.

1. You do have 25L to spend on an SUV
2. You do like the Fortuner.
3. You like the Fortuner a lot.
4. You don't like visiting the service center too often.
5. I assume that getting interest on the differential of 10 lacs is not your primary concern.
6. You do want to live with the SUV you buy for the next 5 years, not question your purchasing decision every time you see a Fortuner across the road, definitely not for the next 5 years.
7. What's that we've heard way too often in this forum, in some cases its heart over head.

You have the money to buy the SUV you've loved for so long, go buy it man!

Also, the Fortuner ride isn't that bad that one can't travel in it at all, its no Storme/XUV 5OO ride quality but its more than manageable.

PS: I would rather compare the Tata Storme/Aria with XUV 5OO but that may just be me.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:06   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Pajero Sport prices came down a few months after launch, when it became a CKD. The ride quality and handling are far superior to the Fortuner. You have owned a Mitsubishi before so you would be familiar with the brand. Don't knock it off the list without a good TD. Also the Pajero is a known brand in India, so resale will not be bad at all.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:16   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Pajero Sport prices came down a few months after launch, when it became a CKD. The ride quality and handling are far superior to the Fortuner. You have owned a Mitsubishi before so you would be familiar with the brand. Don't knock it off the list without a good TD. Also the Pajero is a known brand in India, so resale will not be bad at all.
The current prices are much higher than the fortuner, as mentioned in one of the post above. Its some 23.7L ex showroom, almost a cool 1.5L costlier than the Fortuner. Ofcourse the Fortuner is only 4x2 for the variant I am quoting the price for. The 4x4 variant would be priced almost same as the Pajero.

Coming to the brand, the Lancer till date puts a smile on my face. The looks, the drive, the steering, the road grip, handling, features ( considering it was a 2002 model), everything is just amazing. That is one of the reasons that it still figures in my garage as the only petrol sedan left and that too in its 11th year now. But the experience with Mitsubishi dealer here was quite bad. Again might be a one off case.
Bottomline is I am so smitten by the fortuner that if I make myself to pay 25L then I would probably get it. Right now I am trying to find a pre-owned Fortuner in Delhi. Have let the word out and hoping that a good piece turns out somewhere.

Last edited by drmohitg : 23rd September 2013 at 20:18.
Old 23rd September 2013, 21:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

I know suggestions like these aren't very welcome once one has decided what's on his list, but:

The XUV500 has all it's issues and is still not a complete product, doesn't excel in much either. I would replace that option with the Safari Storme

The Fortuner simply offers very low levels of safety (forget kit) and so for me, reliability and brand image can only go so far; certainly not compensate for the high asking price and the medieval machine on offer. I would instead urge you to consider the Pajero Sport. Remember that it is still a no-nonsense Japanese product which will obviously be reliable.

Most importantly, I for one detest the thought of buying an SUV if one has no off-roading intents or purposes for it. They pollute more, are a nuisance to other motorists with their tall stance, offer less ride comfort, compromised stability and are just worse for the earth and everyone else in it. Soft-roaders therefore, just leave me flabbergasted cause they don't even have the capability to go off-road when needed. I know the Fortuner is a potent off-roader, and so is the XUV to some extent. But if you have no plans on taking them off the tarmac, might I urge you to wait for the 7 seater version of the B-class or something of that sort?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd September 2013 at 21:34.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

Go for the XUV500 or a pre-owned Fortuner.

Given your usage, a comfy softroader makes more sense. And IMO a non-4x4 Fortuner is not worth it - where will you put it to the task, where its strengths will come out? Are you willing to pay so much just for the looks?

Regarding preowned: 50-60K is nothing for a Fortuner. As GTO said, it would have covered 20% of its life.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks