Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2016, 20:02   #76
BHPian

Re: Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I wrote to MSIL regarding the availability of the GV in India, just for the heck of it Here is the response I got:

Thankfully, and surprisingly, they did not advise me to consider the Brezza instead!

Cheers...
Hah. I do remember looking at the monthly sales threads on the Team BHP, the last GV was sold in September 2015.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3823826.

The (new) Vitara looks pretty much a big hatchback. Even the people who bought the GV in India earlier wouldn't want to buy the Vitara. End of an era, I guess.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 14th December 2016 at 20:03.
Old 14th December 2016, 20:38   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
The (new) Vitara looks pretty much a big hatchback. Even the people who bought the GV in India earlier wouldn't want to buy the Vitara. End of an era, I guess.
Not true. I am a 9 year long GV owner, and I sat inside the new Vitara in Tokyo Motor show last year. I really liked it, and would readily consider it.

Does it look like a big hatchback to you? There is guy standing next to it, for size reference.

Used Grand Vitara - 2.0L or 2.4L?-pa280759.jpg
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 21:47   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Does it look like a big hatchback to you?
Apologies, I guess I should have said not just looks as in appearance, but overall expectations from a SUV. It has drifted too far into the crossover territory than before. I subconsciously tend to associate crossovers with "big hatchbacks".

- The size has reduced ~10% on every dimension.

- The GC has been dropped to 185mm, as opposed to 200mm of the stock GV. Some folks used to lift the suspension and/or add bigger tyres for better GC than 200.

- 215/55/R17 tyres. Those sidewalls won't be enough.

- No 4L, but rather the All-Grip system. I am not too familiar with how agile it is.

Most importantly, I could find and order simple, cheap third party upgrades on eBay like a lift kit, and snorkel if I feel the need for one in the future. It's not a "proper" offroader obviously, but still very much good enough for the kind I tend to enjoy. I somehow doubt those kind of upgrade options will ever be made for the Vitara.

If one leaves the off-road aspects aside, I think it's still a decent crossover. But then so are Creta or Brezza.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 14th December 2016 at 21:55.
Old 20th December 2016, 17:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Am on the lookout for a well maintained pre-owned GV - preferably a 2.4 lit MT. Please let me know if you come across any.

Thanks in advance...
Old 20th December 2016, 18:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not true. I am a 9 year long GV owner, and I sat inside the new Vitara in Tokyo Motor show last year. I really liked it, and would readily consider it.

Does it look like a big hatchback to you? There is guy standing next to it, for size reference.

Attachment 1584970
It's a completely different breed compared to the Grand Vitara. They sell both the vehicles in the Middle Eastern Suzuki showrooms.

I got a Filipina friend to buy this and an Indian friend to get the GV. I have driven this Vitara for about 350 kms. It had a 1.6 petrol and a 6 speed gearbox. The GV has a 4 speed, 2.4 L engine with body on frame chassis and proper offroad 4x4.

This one is absolutely targeted at the ladies while the GV is more masculine, if I may say that.

This Vitara, in my opinion, is a jumped up hatchback/crossover indeed. I like the fine engineering and the smooth driving experience. But, this doesn't excite me and can never be the "rough and tough", macho 4x4 that the Grand Vitara is.
nitrous is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 11:46   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Am on the lookout for a well maintained pre-owned GV - preferably a 2.4 lit MT. Please let me know if you come across any.
These are so, so hard to find. I eventually gave up when I was hunting for a GV. Even right now and I didn't see other sites, OLX has just one legitimate listing of the 2.4L across India!

Are you looking for a 4x4 in addition to your Gypsy?
Old 21st December 2016, 12:02   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks in advance...
Have you checked this one in our classified? The 2.4L sold very few, it is near impossible to find one in the market. But 2L is good enough for most of us.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 22:38   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Are you looking for a 4x4 in addition to your Gypsy?
I am looking for a 4WD tourer to replace my ageing Safari and given my low usage, was not too keen on a new / diesel one. Say petrol / used 4WD SUV and only GV comes to mind.

Quote:
Have you checked this one in our classified?
I did but am not too keen on the AT. Moreover, it is DL registered - would prefer a KA one, given the hassles with re-registration, road tax payment, et al.

Last edited by cool_dube : 23rd December 2016 at 22:51.
Old 8th March 2017, 15:13   #84
BHPian

Hi

I own a Camry 2007 Auto and a Scorpio 2003 2WD (Non-Crde, Chain Drive) which will complete 15yrs in 2018. I have done 6-7 trips to Kashmir - Leh Spiti etc in the Scorpio and the last one was in 2016. It's done about 1.5l kms and is in perfect condition. I am just worried that next year it will complete 15 yrs and will no longer be street-worthy here.

A friend of mine has a White Grand Vitara 2007 (CBU) done about 87000km.
He's a rich guy and his father used the Vitara till a few years back as he loved jeeps. After that it is a standby car in their factory and so not kept well. They are first owners. I always told him in the last many years that if he ever sells the car I will have the first right of refusal. Last week he told me that they are finally selling it.

He told me that the Car needs work. I took a test drive and took the car to my mechanics. It needs the following things :
1. Power Steering pump is leaking (They have done some jugaar) Needs to be fixed.
2. Needs new tyres
3. Clutch overall is needed.
4. My friend told me that some oilseal had leaked and it costed about 12K so they did some jugaar.
4. Bumpers need to be repaired and basic bodywork with full body paint.
Apart from this there may be other expenses too in suspension etc.
The engine and the AC are good. 4WD engages properly.

I was thinking that if I get this car I can probable replace my Scorpio next year. I would like to get the GV back to perfect condition and use it for my trips to the mountains for the next 5-7 yrs.

Now since he is a very close friend, he told me everything. I asked him for the price and he told me that dealers are offering him about 2.25 lacs. Before seeing the car, I thought it would not need much work so I told him that my mechanics were telling me it should be worth 2L . He was fine giving it to me for 2L. He's even offered me that I can exchange my scorpio with this for a few weeks and then decide if I want it.

My mechanics and I discussed and we have figured that to get it into mint condition we wold need to spend around 1.5 lacs. Keeping that in mind even 2L seems steep to us.

BTW I would love a 4WD for the kind of places I drive to. Also I was thinking for this kind of money you can barely get a Gypsy and this is much better.

What do you guys advice on this.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 8th March 2017 at 15:20.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 15:46   #85
Team-BHP Support

You would be stealing it at 2L, you can't buy 15 years old Jeeps for 2L. Please pay your extremely generous friend 2L and take it from him.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 15:58   #86
BHPian

If you dont buy it, can you please let me know. I am super interested in having a look and picking it up.
Old 8th March 2017, 16:05   #87
Senior - BHPian

The GV looks very much like a blown up Vitara Brezza. That would not go down well with buyers, I think.
Old 8th March 2017, 16:54   #88
BHPian

Quote:
You would be stealing it at 2L, you can't buy 15 years old Jeeps for 2L. Please pay your extremely generous friend 2L and take it from him.
Thanks man, this one line has given me confidence to go for it. I know I will have to work hard on it to get it back to it's proper good condition. Also I will be after all of you Grand Vitara experts for helping me get it back to it's old glory. I will surely need help to source spares etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
If you dont buy it, can you please let me know. I am super interested in having a look and picking it up.
Akshay I have almost done the deal for it now. I will surely update you about this if there is a change in my plans.

I hope to get the GV in a few days, and I will post some pictures here.
Old 8th March 2017, 17:07   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
I hope to get the GV in a few days, and I will post some pictures here.
Sorry for the late reply but if you have not finalized would ask you to hold on, take a look at better ones available in market there are many. Most importantly walk upto a large dealership and request for price of major parts you are looking at replacing for this GV. Then do the math and final call.

The condition you mentioned this one should not be touched unless you have good budget to build. Painting itself will take 70-80k keep that in mind.

Would rather pick up one at 4-5 lakhs, there are quiet a few in DL.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 17:52   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sorry for the late reply but if you have not finalized would ask you to hold on, take a look at better ones available in market there are many. Most importantly walk upto a large dealership and request for price of major parts you are looking at replacing for this GV. Then do the math and final call.

The condition you mentioned this one should not be touched unless you have good budget to build. Painting itself will take 70-80k keep that in mind.

Would rather pick up one at 4-5 lakhs, there are quiet a few in DL.
Thanks Jaggu,
It is still not closed, I will do more detailed research before finally getting it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks