Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2016, 20:28   #61
BHPian

Re: Maruti: Vitara Brezza vs S-Cross

By all means, go for the S-Cross. Right now, S-Cross represents a mouth watering deal. Just remember the fact that they are selling the vehicle 2 - 3 lakhs lower than the original price. This means you will be getting a lot more quality compared with the similarly priced Ciaz. Don't even think about Brezza. It is a mediocre, run of the mill Maruti. And don't worry about the second hand market. The better build and overall quality will make you keep the vehicle for a lot longer than 5 years. But please buy the product before they introduce a face-lift of the vehicle. What I have observed with Maruti vechicles is that, with each facelift, they get a couple of features found in modern cars while the build quality gets dramatically reduced. And if you can, go for the 1.6 variant. More power = effortless long distance drives.
karuvally is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 20:56   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuvally View Post
By all means, go for the S-Cross. Right now, S-Cross represents a mouth watering deal. Just remember the fact that they are selling the vehicle 2 - 3 lakhs lower than the original price. This means you will be getting a lot more quality compared with the similarly priced Ciaz. Don't even think about Brezza. It is a mediocre, run of the mill Maruti. And don't worry about the second hand market. The better build and overall quality will make you keep the vehicle for a lot longer than 5 years. But please buy the product before they introduce a face-lift of the vehicle. What I have observed with Maruti vechicles is that, with each facelift, they get a couple of features found in modern cars while the build quality gets dramatically reduced. And if you can, go for the 1.6 variant. More power = effortless long distance drives.
Very well put indeed.
Think on it. The First Gen Swift was a superb little thing. Worthy of its name. Almost the same as the International version except it didn't have all the same safety kit. But the Build quality was very similar and its alloys were classy indeed - I know because I spent time looking at the 1.6 Swift 3 Door version as sold in the UK around the time it was launched here.

The second gen Swift onwards, sorry to say they lost the plot completely. Too much Bling and "Designed for the Masses in India" type stuff crept in.

Even today, if in the market for second hand hatchback cars, frankly it is worth finding and buying a well kept First Gen Swift ZXi as compared to all the next generations of the same car.

The S Cross is in a very similar state in its lifecycle right now. Buy it quickly before they create some dunderhead type facelift while trying to enhance its "mass appeal"!

And buy the 1.6 - thats the only variant that is really worth while. With its 4 Discs, 320NM Torque, 118 BHP and all the rest of it including the Airbags and good upholstery and so on, it is really a good car to consider. And yes, it IS a keeper. You won't want to chuck it after 5 years. You'll tend to keep it longer because it is a solid vehicle.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th April 2016 at 21:00.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 21:38   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post
S-Cross 1.3 Zeta
Brezza Zdi+
I believe I might be in a similar situation when I change my car next! If it's only between these 2 cars, S-Cross wins.

If you can stretch your budget by 3-4k per month, upgrade to the DDIS320. It's a small price to pay for the enjoyment of the drive. Plus since you mentioned your driving would be a lot on the highway, the 1.6 makes all the more sense. I had driven it once on the Mumbai-Pune expressway and believe me when I say that the car is simply AWESOME and makes you feel wrapped in a cocoon when you are going faaast. In fact, I would put it slightly better than my 4th gen petrol City in terms of ride.

Also, have you checked out EcoSport? You could also check out BR-V next month since you were open to the Honda Jazz. If interior quality is like my City, it's a big no, else might be a decent option. I expect it to be priced slightly higher than the City.

Good luck in your search and do keep us updated!
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 01:37   #64
BHPian

Late to the party, eh?

Just to add in a couple of thoughts, please don't go for the Breeza as rightly pointed out by many others. But sure, if you venture into the S-Cross 1.6 territory, you will get confused between the array of choices.

Honda City VX: Don't go for it. Overpriced, cheaply built, with a host of niggles. A member had sold his 4th Gen City due to these reasons. (No offence to existing/prospective owners)

Renault Duster 110: Fantastic engine, great ride, but VERY cheaply built. And this is coming from a Duster 110 ex-owner. The plastics started rattling at 15k kms, and the car never felt worth all that money. If you do end up buying one, do not step inside a friend's S-Cross/Creta.

XUV500 W6: Actually a great buy if you could extend your budget a bit. With the new set of features from the W8, it's more value for money than ever before.

S-Cross 1.6: The ultimate buy. With a heftier price tag, you're buying a permanent grin for the next few years. Great product, good engineering, nice build quality. What more can one ask for? Looks, well, are clearly subjective. Do take a test drive and you'll never want to come out of that car.

Cheers!
mohaks19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 04:46   #65
BANNED

One thing for those considering the S Cross.
Frankly, the XUV and others cannot come close in build quality, drivability and overall fit/ finish. The S Cross is just the right size for city use as a daily driver.
When parked next to the Yeti, the two are almost of the same size.
Just perfect for a small family and their luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaks19 View Post
Late to the party, eh?

Just to add in a couple of thoughts, please don't go for the Breeza as rightly pointed out by many others. But sure, if you venture into the S-Cross 1.6 territory, you will get confused between the array of choices.

Honda City VX: Don't go for it. Overpriced, cheaply built, with a host of niggles. A member had sold his 4th Gen City due to these reasons. (No offence to existing/prospective owners)

Renault Duster 110: Fantastic engine, great ride, but VERY cheaply built. And this is coming from a Duster 110 ex-owner. The plastics started rattling at 15k kms, and the car never felt worth all that money. If you do end up buying one, do not step inside a friend's S-Cross/Creta.

XUV500 W6: Actually a great buy if you could extend your budget a bit. With the new set of features from the W8, it's more value for money than ever before.

S-Cross 1.6: The ultimate buy. With a heftier price tag, you're buying a permanent grin for the next few years. Great product, good engineering, nice build quality. What more can one ask for? Looks, well, are clearly subjective. Do take a test drive and you'll never want to come out of that car.

Cheers!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 08:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Very well put indeed.
Think on it. The First Gen Swift was a superb little thing.... The second gen Swift onwards, sorry to say they lost the plot completely. Too much Bling and "Designed for the Masses in India" type stuff crept in.
Hi shankar, I think what karuvally is really referring to is how Maruti cars of past have lost their quality over the same generation itself. Meaning, a 2005 Swift felt much better than a 2007 Swift put together.

This happens due to pressure of profitability on each model. Things which are inconspicuous go missing from the car altogether or lose their quality over a period of time. For example: S Cross got this lovely plastic cover running the whole length of its under body and there is a good chance it gets dropped if not already. Similarly, the second generation Swift lost the air deflector under the bumper after a few years.

And the second generation Swift was not all bling. For one thing, the improvement in quality (especially the interiors) was substantial. First hand experience, as we had both cars in the garage one after the other. Even the infamous rattle was missing from the second generation. And it rides better and steers better than the older car too.

Coming back to the topic of this thread, its the multi talented S-Cross hands down over the Vitara. It really a no brainier.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 08:55   #67
BANNED

Yes I agree and that's exactly what I also sought to state - that Maruti's typically launch a great product and slowly over time, as localisation and profitability pressure and mass engineering and other things start happening, they lose their sheen with every subsequent "facelift"...

and Yes, there is nothing close to the S Cross at its price point today. Much better to buy this than the Brezza for sure, provided one has sufficiently evolved 'taste', the budget to indulge it and the passion for the relatively unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
OT:

Hi shankar, I think what karuvally is really referring to is how Maruti cars of past have lost their quality over the same generation itself. Meaning, a 2005 Swift felt much better than a 2007 Swift put together.

This happens due to pressure of profitability on each model. Things which are inconspicuous go missing from the car altogether or lose their quality over a period of time. For example: S Cross got this lovely plastic cover running the whole length of its under body and there is a good chance it gets dropped if not already. Similarly, the second generation Swift lost the air deflector under the bumper after a few years.

And the second generation Swift was not all bling. For one thing, the improvement in quality (especially the interiors) was substantial. First hand experience, as we had both cars in the garage one after the other. Even the infamous rattle was missing from the second generation. And it rides better and steers better than the older car too.

Coming back to the topic of this thread, its the multi talented S-Cross hands down over the Vitara. It really a no brainier.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 09:19   #68
BHPian

Like everyone has said apart from the looks, the SCross wins hand down - its not even a competition.
But before going for 1.6, I would recommend a longish test drive in city traffic. I found the turbo lag to be so bad that I dropped the car completely. If you are driving majorly in city, the 1.3 might make more sense.
Also have you considered the TUV300? Do take a test ride before making any decisions.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 10:05   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Vitara Brezza ZDI Plus to S cross 1.3 Zeta and finally S cross 1.6 Alpha

Brezza ZDI + and S cross 1.3 Zeta are priced almost same. I took test drive of both cars. Mechanically, I found S cross more superior and ended up booking 1.3 Zeta. I always wanted 1.6 and couldn't convince my dad. Finally he agreed after 2 weeks, booking changed to 1.6 . I can't wait for the torque king on roads now.

I will list down the positives of each car and compare.

Brezza 1.3
1.Better road presence than S cross
2.Performance marginally better than 1.3 S cross

S Cross 1.3
1.Better build quality and >4m in length
2.Superior ride and handling-more mature compared to Brezza
3.All 4 disc brakes with better stopping distance
4.Additional features like Bixenon projectors, telescopic steering
5.More leg room and better seats with adequate under thigh support
6.Clutch and gearshifts slightly better than 1.6

S cross 1.6
1 to 5 : Same as 1.3
6.Most important factor-320 nm torque. I don't think there is any other 1.6 diesel engine which produces 320nm

P.S : 1.6 Alpha costs around 3 lakhs more than 1.3 Zeta which I had booked initially. But I seriously did not mind paying additional 5k EMI for the pure joy & happiness in 1.6.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 28th April 2016 at 10:10.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:00   #70
BHPian

"3) Duster- Loved the car. Buy beyond my budget if I want to opt for the 110PS variant. 85PS might be underpowered for the highway. But if I had the money 110 Rxz AWD would have been my definite choice."

I have driven my Duster 85 BHP for about 20K kms now, of which about 12K on highways. I have never experienced a lack of power either in acceleration or till the speed of 120-30 kmph. So, if that is the only reason for you to omit Duster, you may re-consider.

Happy hunting for a drive, and happy driving.
itinerant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:24   #71
BHPian

Scross 1.6 is Beast on highways and not dull to drive in city as most of the people say. turbo lag is there but easily manageable. High speed stability on highways is just awesome.Maruti just need better looking alloys to increase the sells of Scross
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti: Vitara Brezza vs S-Cross-cameringo_20160301_10102101.jpeg  

sahiltodankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:25   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
Scross 1.6 is Beast on highways and not dull to drive in city as most of the people say. turbo lag is there but easily manageable. High speed stability on highways is just awesome.Maruti just need better looking alloys to increase the sells of Scross
I think turbo lag is more psychological in 1.6. Turbo kick is so prominent that makes you feel increased turbo lag before 1800 rpm
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:27   #73
BHPian

I am a proud owner of a Duster AWD and believe me, it is one beautiful vehicle. The interiors and the ergonomics are nothing great to talk about, but the engine and the transmission are superb. I bought it in early December 2015 and have covered 11500 km so far through highways, rough roads and some tough roads. It has handled beautifully and I just love the power available even in 6th gear. Overtaking on the highways is a breeze because there is some torque available even when driving at 120km in 6th gear.

I had a Swift Dzire VXI earlier and used it to the limit especially in Spiti valley of Himachal and managed to break all the engine suspension bolts driving from Chandratal lake to Rohtang Pass. I itch to return to Spiti valley in the Duster.

In summary, if you can stretch your budget, go for the Duster AWD. It is a fantastic vehicle, but do tolerate the mediocre interiors and seats and the dashboard layout. The ground clearance is phenomenal at 210mm and the underside has decent protection. The vehicle dismisses bad roads and you hardly feel the potholes and unevenness of the roads.

The Dzire was very comfortable on the highways; did Ahmedabad to Chandigarh non stop several times and was not very tired at the end of the 20 hour drive. The Duster is not far behind in driving comfort, but not as good as a Dzire.

All the best in your choice of a decent vehicle for your drives.

Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 15:18   #74
BHPian

When it comes to buying car (similar to deciding on spouse), it is difficult to do a rational decision.

Three years back when I was looking for upgrade my tiny old Spark, I started doing 'structured decision making' with excel-sheet and what not. After compiling features, price and taking road test, I compared pros and cons. But all that went for toss when I took road test of Polo GT, though rationally it did not make any sense.

I scrapped all my comparative excel sheets and suddenly became so creative with my finances to pay that 9+ L.

I am not saying you look at GT. But buy a car that you really like without any compromise. You will eventually get over that 3 Lakh difference.
radek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 15:54   #75
BHPian

Suggestion - Drive the 85 Bhp variants of Duster/Terrano and see if the power delivery is sufficient for you. I can tell you that up to 120/130 km/h, the power delivery is entirely satisfactory. it's only beyond 130 Km/h that you start feeling the lack of power.

The interiors are mediocre but 85 Bhp variants are not priced that high either.

Now since the OP talked about Kerala roads/western ghats, You need a car with minimal turbolag on winding roads/crowded roads and the 85 variant really scores here.
vishnurp99 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks