Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 07:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti: Vitara Brezza vs S-Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunthead View Post

Many are suggesting the 1.6 S-Cross. Then I start to venture into 110PS Duster category. Does anyone feel the Duster might be a better choice if I extend the budget?

Thanks.
Unless you need AWD, forget the Duster. The S-Cross handles and rides well.

The S-Cross is a superior product and is backed by Maruti's service network.

If you're tight on budget, you could pick up the Delta version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Vitara Brezza has two advantages over the S-Cross:

Looks (although that is subjective)
Brezza looks more stunning compared to anything else in it's price range. Maruti designers have done a terrific job.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 26th April 2016 at 07:35.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 08:07   #17
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest the S-Cross, probably in the top end 1.6 variant. It got a classy European styling, decent build, and will age well compared to the Brezza. IMO the pizzazz of the Brezza is largely due to the Evoque mimicking dual paint job, otherwise it looks very ordinary. I would say S-Cross indeed is the best from Suzuki so far in India (excluding the niche models like Grand Vitara and Kizashi).
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 09:32   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I would suggest the S-Cross, probably in the top end 1.6 variant. It got a classy European styling, decent build, and will age well compared to the Brezza. IMO the pizzazz of the Brezza is largely due to the Evoque mimicking dual paint job, otherwise it looks very ordinary. I would say S-Cross indeed is the best from Suzuki so far in India (excluding the niche models like Grand Vitara and Kizashi).
Yes I agree. Understated is the word for the S Cross.
The Brezza in keeping with our louder tastes in India, has lots of bling and chrome. Saying that, while the dual tone paint job is evocative of the Evoque and does look ok, I personally prefer the plain jane anonymous looks of the other versions such as the one test driven by TBHP. The Brezza is a nice family vehicle and has lots to recommend it, being extremely VFM etc.

But it doesn't have the other things that the S Cross has, which are listed in various posts and which, to me, carry a far greater priority.

In a nutshell, if you want to go "Mass" and stay with the herd, go and buy a Brezza. If you want to be "different" and give vent to your more "discerning" self, then, eyes-closed, go and buy the 1.6 320Nm S CROSS Alpha. Nothing less will do!

(There was an S Cross 1.6 this morning in blue, which overtook us near the Agara lake in HSR while I was in an Uber, getting to office and it literally left us standing, because the lights changed and there was a clear stretch ahead for it. I saw the 1.6 badging clearly on its tail. This makes me more than ever impressed with this vehicle. Personally I love the Silver and Grey versions for their understated anonymity.)

P.S. Forget the Duster for now. That thing is quite overpriced, considering that it is touted everywhere in the world as the World's Cheapest SUV and all that. Especially now when it is quite dated when viewed in comparison with all the other vehicles on offer. It is a commonplace sight around and is not as unique as the S Cross. Yes, its suspension is fantastic and so is its ground clearance and general toughness, but its interiors and features are too basic and it is not really worth what it is priced at, on road in Bangalore. I really like the Duster in some ways though - notably its suspension.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th April 2016 at 09:43.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 11:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Am just wondering whether you might not be interested in the Ertiga. A more practical vehicle than the s-cross or brezza but far more common on the roads but no possibility of 4x4 if needed. It is however the most car like handling of the three
pganapathy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 11:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

After a similar confusion, I had finalized on the s-cross. My current ride is a ritz and it has aged well in 5 yrs and with more milage than I prefer. The better build s-cross should age better than all the current maruti offerings and it should hopefully last longer in a better nick.

I have selected the 1.3 zeta for its VFM offering. I do can afford the 1.6, but I simply cannot justify spending 3 lakhs extra for that. I would rather get a scorpio or another ladder on chassis SUV for that kind of money. I am in my early thirties and single, so when in the late thirties and with extended family, when I am planning for another change, I am hoping that the 7 seater SUV market would have matured better. This is an additional reason on why I did not go for an SUV now.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 12:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Go and be a bit mad. Don't worry, I'll keep you company as Im slightly mad too. I bought a Yeti almost 5 years ago and everyday I have a BIG smile while I get into it and drive it!

(There was an S Cross 1.6 this morning in blue, which overtook us near the Agara lake in HSR while I was in an Uber, getting to office and it literally left us standing, because the lights changed and there was a clear stretch ahead for it. I saw the 1.6 badging clearly on its tail. This makes me more than ever impressed with this vehicle. Personally I love the Silver and Grey versions for their understated anonymity.)
Thanks for your offer. I am a big fan the Yeti too. I have bored numerous number of folks at home talking at length how awesome that car is. Current gen yeti is exorbitantly priced. Wish I can drive it some day.
And what are you doing traveling in an Uber and not driving the Yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi
And Duster is definitely dated, and looks and interiors are not up to the price level, my take..
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free
Less waiting times and we already know waiting for brezza is running into 6 months.
More possibility of getting discounts on s-cross specially during upcoming monsoon season.
I agree about the waiting times. Never knew about the monsoon discounts. Which month does this usually happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy
Am just wondering whether you might not be interested in the Ertiga.
Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure I want a 7 seater. The trips would mostly consist of my wife, kid and myself. Occasionally 1-2 extra adults might join in.

It is great to see everyone advocating in favour of the S-Cross. The suggestions here are definitely going to help me decide. Thanks. More importantly I shared this thread with my wife who was in awe of how good the Brezza looked. She responded with a very dejected "Hmmm". She knows she is losing the battle.

Also the Duster is definitely off my list. Mainly due to the pricing while being dated. Awesome ride quality though. Might take a EcoSport TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I have selected the 1.3 zeta for its VFM offering. I do can afford the 1.6, but I simply cannot justify spending 3 lakhs extra for that.
Excellent point. I am on the same train of thought.

On a different note I was wondering- what if Maruti decided to sell Baleno through their regular dealership chain. And introduced S-Cross(more competitively priced as compared to now) and Brezza(with great build, fit and finish like the S-cross) through Nexa. Also Brezza not in the sub-compact form but >4m compact SUV category. Maruti could have blown Creta away. S-Cross with a lesser price tag than Brezza also would sell well. Nexa sales would have been phenomenal. Baleno sales also would have stayed excellent. There by both Nexa and regular dealers going home super happy.

Note to Admin: Please edit/remove as appropriate

Last edited by jaunthead : 26th April 2016 at 12:41. Reason: Merging back to back posts
jaunthead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 12:44   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GTO The EMI difference with 20-25% downpayment for 5 years is roughly 4.5K.
4.5k is worth the hundreds of smiles you'll get every month .

Quote:
Many are suggesting the 1.6 S-Cross. Then I start to venture into 110PS Duster category. Does anyone feel the Duster might be a better choice if I extend the budget?
The Duster is awesome if:

- You need AWD
- Ride quality is your topmost priority (frequently on bad roads, weak back etc.).

If not, S-Cross 1.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Brezza looks more stunning compared to anything else in it's price range.
I'd disagree. To my eyes, the EcoSport is better looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Am just wondering whether you might not be interested in the Ertiga. It is however the most car like handling of the three
No ways. The S-Cross is more car-like than the Ertiga, although the Ertiga is also competent (it's not top heavy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
After a similar confusion, I had finalized on the s-cross.
I have selected the 1.3 zeta for its VFM offering. I do can afford the 1.6, but I simply cannot justify spending 3 lakhs extra for that.
What 3 lakhs, buddy? Prices have been revised downward since a while. Though it's still a hefty premium for an engine that's a little bigger, this is the best 1.4 - 1.5 lakhs you'll spend. An U-G-L-Y car, but beautiful engine .

Maruti: Vitara Brezza vs S-Cross-capture.png
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 14:18   #23
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2016 at 13:34.
csnanjappa is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th April 2016, 14:33   #24
BHPian

Not sure if govigov from Bangalore. But if he is then probably he is right about the 3 lac difference, but only based on the on-road price.

1.3 Zeta on-road Bangalore- 11.8 lacs(approx)
1.6 Zeta on-road Bangalore- 14.5 lacs(approx)

Difference of 2.7 lacs roughly.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2016 at 13:34. Reason: Quoted post deleted
jaunthead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 14:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

S-cross 1.3 Zeta price in Kochi as per carwale is 11,09,657 (This matches my dealer quote)

S-cross 1.6 Alpha in Kochi as per carwale is 14,40,849.

A difference of 3.3 lakhs. The difference may be due to the sub 10 lakh price for the s-cross 1.3 zeta at 9,86,158.

If at a different location, in India, if the price difference is lesser, then certainly, the decision may have changed.
govigov is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 15:07   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Old animals like us once in a while are comfort seeking - lie back in an Uber and let someone else take the traffic stress!

Actually I was heading to a meeting where parking is a pain!

Once your wife sits in the "Exclusive" S Cross, everything will change. Brezza is for the masses. S Cross is for the discerning buyer. Tell her that. It is true.

Brezza in India was always intended to blow away the competition in the "Mass" segment. Maruti has played a perfect card with the Brezza - many potential price-conscious buyers of a Quasi-SUV, who favour an SUV's space and looks and "presence" etc - even people who might have potentially wanted to go the Duster, Creta way, would now be re-setting their sights on the Brezza for sure.

However, these consumers would not go towards the S Cross because the S Cross is a niche product meant for a slightly more "evolved" consumer.

Quote:
Thanks for your offer. I am a big fan the Yeti too. I have bored numerous number of folks at home talking at length how awesome that car is. Current gen yeti is exorbitantly priced. Wish I can drive it some day.
And what are you doing traveling in an Uber and not driving the Yeti.

t is great to see everyone advocating in favour of the S-Cross. The suggestions here are definitely going to help me decide. Thanks. More importantly I shared this thread with my wife who was in awe of how good the Brezza looked. She responded with a very dejected "Hmmm". She knows she is losing the battle.

On a different note I was wondering- what if Maruti decided to sell Baleno through their regular dealership chain. And introduced S-Cross(more competitively priced as compared to now) and Brezza(with great build, fit and finish like the S-cross) through Nexa. Also Brezza not in the sub-compact form but >4m compact SUV category. Maruti could have blown Creta away. S-Cross with a lesser price tag than Brezza also would sell well. Nexa sales would have been phenomenal. Baleno sales also would have stayed excellent. There by both Nexa and regular dealers going home super happy.

Note to Admin: Please edit/remove as appropriate
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 16:05   #27
BHPian

Okay !

There's an overwhelming and unanimous judgement passed by all the Bhpians including the Mods, DBhpians, Sr.Bhpians, Bhpians & Newbies in favour of the SCross 1.6 and there remains nothing of any sort of unambiguity.

Yet, I further emphasize the uniqueness of the SCross 1.6 - the Best VFM car the current Indian Market has to offer.

1. The best Engine with sufficient power under the hood that races to glory coupled to the Superior quality build and premium feel which emulate the European cars, that are sorely missed in all the Mass marketed Maruti Products.

2. It has the Maruti Brand to back it up [that could possibly prevent all the nightmares , likely to be faced while owning a European/American Car when the Service, Reliability Issues seep into the situations]

To put it short, S-Cross offers what car enthusiasts of India always dreamt of - A decently built car with a gem of an engine and sufficient backup of the service network.

And one may deem the looks of the S-Cross bland, if not ugly, but, personally, I feel the tastes of the public shall evolve to like the S-Cross gradually - like an AR Rahman's Song, listening to it, again and again, will enchant your brain.

Nothing can go wrong with a Premium Maruti.

While Brezza might be sold in phenomenal numbers, it nowhere comes near the S-Cross in any field.

Last edited by poised2drive : 26th April 2016 at 16:08.
poised2drive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 16:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is Weird.

If you are going for 1.3 engine, my suggestion is to go for Brezza. It is slightly more peppy. It looks better as well.
S-Cross with 1.3 does not do justice to anybody (Both car & driver).

If you are going for 1.6, It is the S-cross hands down due to the sheer performance of the 1.6.

Do not buy a car for it's heavier doors and body panels. Rather buy a car for how it drives!
I made a mistake of buying the polo primarily due to this stupid reason alone, and repent to this day, due to it's under-powered nature when going flat out.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 26th April 2016 at 16:51. Reason: punctuation marks added
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 17:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
My suggestion is Weird.

If you are going for 1.3 engine, my suggestion is to go for Brezza. It is slightly more peppy. It looks better as well.
S-Cross with 1.3 does not do justice to anybody (Both car & driver).

If you are going for 1.6, It is the S-cross hands down due to the sheer performance of the 1.6.
I think you have a point here. But why do you think the Brezza is peppier? The kerb weight of the two vehicles are similar.
jaunthead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 17:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if govigov from Bangalore. But if he is then probably he is right about the 3 lac difference, but only based on the on-road price.

1.3 Zeta on-road Bangalore- 11.8 lacs(approx)
1.6 Zeta on-road Bangalore- 14.5 lacs(approx)

Difference of 2.7 lacs roughly.
Hey jaunthead,

I know you are constrained on the budget, but wanted to put my thoughts on this.
One of my friend was in a very similar situation and after lot of research and visits to different showrooms, I suggested him XUV W4 which came to 14.5 OTR Bangalore.
He too was a purist and didn't mind in losing features like keyless entry, Auto this and Auto that. And believe me, I literally see him smiling when he's driving.
My take is definitely s-cross 1.3 or XUV.

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2016 at 13:36. Reason: Typo
chaith.turbo is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks