Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which SUV / MUV would you choose?
Tata Hexa 468 54.04%
Mahindra XUV500 173 19.98%
Toyota Innova Crysta 171 19.75%
Mahindra Scorpio 8 0.92%
Tata Safari Storme 24 2.77%
Other (please specify) 22 2.54%
Voters: 866. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th September 2018, 14:48   #226

I've been surveying the Indian market for past 8-10 months for my new acquisition in the MUV/SUV segment with a budget of upto 20+/-2L.

The usual suspects were Crysta/XUV/HEXA & Compass/Creta/Duster.

Having decided that my needs were being addressed by the bigger, more spacious trio, I focused on them.

Apart from doing basic technical research online (thanks largely to TBHP fraternity and to some extent to various other websites and individuals) I proceeded to do physical research at the showrooms and out on test drives in as much varying terrain as available, and also seeking opinions of owners amongst friends and customers coming for service at the respective centers.

This is what it all boiled down to:

Brand value- Toyota>Mahindra/TATA

Resale- Crysta>XUV>TATA(HEXA resale is unpredictable as yet)

Features- XUV>HEXA/>Crysta

Price- Crysta>>>Hexa/>XUV

Ride quality- HEXA>Crysta>XUV

Drivability City- (MT) -XUV>Crysta>HEXA

Drivability City -(AT) XUV/Crysta/>HEXA

Drivability highway- Crysta/HEXA >XUV

Rough roads- HEXA >Crysta>XUV

Butch factor- Looks- XUV>HEXA>Crysta

Butch factor - drive- HEXA >XUV>Crysta

Ingress/Egress for average height/built person- Crysta/XUV >HEXA

Ingress/Egress for tall height/big built person- HEXA >XUV >Crysta

Seating position (commanding)- HEXA >XUV>Crysta

Seating position (relaxed)- Crysta>XUV >HEXA

Product Reliability-
Toyota >TATA/>Mahindra

Service reliability Toyota/>TATA>Mahindra

Cabin Ambience- Crysta>HEXA >XUV

Cabin classiness- HEXA >Crysta >XUV

Upholstery and finish -HEXA >Crysta >XUV

Niggles- XUV>TATA (HEXA is still young but scores well so far)>Crysta

Lots of other nick-nacks that were compared but were not too significant.

I have had previous ownership experience of last generation Innova, and TATA Safari/Indica and presently owned TATA Nano and Manza when I embarked on this hunt.

I have experienced the rapid progress that TATA has made in product quality, especially the plastics and components. Ride quality has always been high, and build - they always build them like tanks (except the Nano)

Mahindra somehow has not addressed the components quality and niggles have been their Achilles heel. Friends and customers at service Centre betrayed similar sentiments.

So XUV was quickly out of contention. And the battle was between The tried and tested Crysta with a solid brand and the Newbie HEXA with great critical and user reviews (so far).

What finally tilted the balance in favor of HEXA XTA:

1. PRICE: huge gap. Shall make up for the loss (if any) of resale in the long run especially if u factor in the interest. Unless HEXA tanks in durability scale as it ages. (Fingers crossed)

Moreover, all diesel vehicles, especially big ones, are going to take a hit 10yrs from now in resale market due to increasingly stringent rules and restrictions across the country and more so in Metro areas and surrounding districts.

2. Ride quality: overall I rated HEXA above Crysta.

3. Ingress/Egress/ride position: At 6'4" tall and weighing in excess of 100kgs, this was the most important factor for me individually. Getting into Crysta was an exercise. Dip the seat all the way down>>get in>>raise the seat all the way up. Repeat while egressing. Very annoying.

4. Auto gear shift is really smooth. Kills the disadvantage of the rubbery/cumbersome MT of HEXA compared to Crysta.

The only thing left is to add the foot-boards for kids and elderly to climb.

I have done only 1000km but am enjoying it thus far.

I surely hope my long term reviews shall be better or equal to all my peers here.

Get Up-Take Off-Fly High
Chief@006 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 01:16   #227

Smile Re: Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief@006 View Post
I have done only 1000km but am enjoying it thus far.

I surely hope my long term reviews shall be better or equal to all my peers here.

Get Up-Take Off-Fly High

A 3000Km trip coming up. I am confident that I shall be able to give a positive feedback enroute or at the end of the trip. Let's see how it goes.
Chief@006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 13:15   #228
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others

Quote:
A 3000Km trip coming up. I am confident that I shall be able to give a positive feedback enroute or at the end of the trip. Let's see how it goes.
Chief it will be good if you can test ride Mahindra Marazzo also and compare. Your perspective would be invaluable for bhpians in the market for a 7 seater MUV/SUV in this price range.
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 00:35   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Chief it will be good if you can test ride Mahindra Marazzo also and compare. Your perspective would be invaluable for bhpians in the market for a 7 seater MUV/SUV in this price range.
I shall update you soon with a first-up review of Marazzo vs Ertiga and also pit it against the Upcoming New Ertiga.
Let me get my upcoming 3000Km road test of my new acquisition out of the way first.

Thursday is Firstday.
Chief@006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 10:23   #230
BHPian

Quote:
I shall update you soon with a first-up review of Marazzo vs Ertiga and also pit it against the Upcoming New Ertiga.
Let me get my upcoming 3000Km road test of my new acquisition out of the way first.

Thursday is Firstday.
Still waiting. It has been around a month now
kbishwa is online now   Reply With Quote