Team-BHP - Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/183773-tata-hexa-vs-xuv500-vs-innova-crysta-vs-others-19.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosfactor (Post 5420212)
In my experience with people having motion sickness, it's usually not the vehicle in itself - it is the driver.

Agreed! My son had the problem when he was younger. The sickness subsided after I took easy on the curves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirubakaran_G (Post 5420199)
We shortlisted Hexa XTA and Innova Crysta 2.8 ZX AT from the pre-worshipped route.

What would be your monthly or yearly running?
Related question, how much are you willing to spend monthly on EMI and fuel?

10 years is really long term. If you are looking at high running, buying a 5 year old vehicle may not work unless you know the car and the owner in-and-out.

Given your budget, have you evaluated Ertiga, XL6 and Carens already?

PS: I guess we might know some common people :D

Quote:

Dear Esteemed BHPians,
I'm an avid reader of this forum, and felt privileged of getting a membership.

We are in a dilemma of picking up our next vehicle. Kindly guide us in this regard.

Need:
1. Must be reliable, fuss free, sorted mechanicals and electricals. Also, we would like to keep it atleast for 10 years.
2. Must be a six seater. Can seat 4 adults + 2 kids comfortably.
3. Only AT. I'm a degenerative disc disease patient.
4. Settled ride, vehicle will be ridden 95% of time in well paved roads. So, the vehicle must be rock solid in its ride.
5. No lateral movement, my wife has motion sickness. In our previous vehicle marazzo, she used to vomit while being seated in the last row. So, second and third rows must have minimum to zero vertical movement in its application.
6. Budget: ~14lakhs.
7. Must be safe.

We shortlisted Hexa XTA and Innova Crysta 2.8 ZX AT from the pre-worshipped route.

While we shall get a five year old Hexa for around 13lakhs, the same age Crysta would cost around 16lakhs. Save or spend?

Other suggestions are also welcome. Guide us fellow people. Thank you.

Between an Innova Crysta and Tata Hexa, I would definitely suggest you go for the Crysta with reasons mentioned below:

1. Must be reliable, fuss free, sorted mechanicals and electricals. Also, we would like to keep it atleast for 10 years: Toyotas are the most reliable cars you can get, they are built to last and fuss free overall.

2. Must be a six seater. Can seat 4 adults + 2 kids comfortably: Nothing beats the Innova when it comes to moving people around.

3. Only AT. I'm a degenerative disc disease patient: Innova AT is a good option.

4. Settled ride, vehicle will be ridden 95% of time in well paved roads. So, the vehicle must be rock solid in its ride: Innova is rock solid

5. No lateral movement, my wife has motion sickness. In our previous vehicle marazzo, she used to vomit while being seated in the last row. So, second and third rows must have minimum to zero vertical movement in its application: Get a test drive of both these vehicles before you decide.

6. Budget: ~14lakhs: Innova's tend to hold on to their value for much longer and depreciate rather slowly, so getting a newer model under 14 lakhs would be an issue.

7. Must be safe: Innova is a safe, tried and tested vehicle.

To conclude, the Innova would be the better pick and a much better option in the long run, the additional 2 lakhs would be money well spent in my opinion.

Quote:

No lateral movement, my wife has motion sickness. In our previous vehicle marazzo, she used to vomit while being seated in the last row. So, second and third rows must have minimum to zero vertical movement in its application.

Personally feel nauseous in Innova Crysta in the last row. I know options like XL6 and Carens probably don't meet the safety criteria you mentioned but I feel less nauseous in their third rows. (Don't have much idea about Hexa other than the fact that a person in my society told me that third row is significantly worse than first row).

Quote:

We are in a dilemma of picking up our next vehicle. Kindly guide us in this regard.

Need:
4. Settled ride, vehicle will be ridden 95% of time in well paved roads. So, the vehicle must be rock solid in its ride.
5. No lateral movement, my wife has motion sickness. In our previous vehicle marazzo, she used to vomit while being seated in the last row. So, second and third rows must have minimum to zero vertical movement in its application.

This right there settles it in favour of the big Tata. Hexa’s ride quality is much better than Crysta’s. This difference gets exemplified in the third row, where the Innova gets positively choppy but Hexa remains composed.

Innova third row is well known for making people nauseous. No such issues with Hexa.

Quote:

Need:
1. Must be reliable, fuss free, sorted mechanicals and electricals. Also, we would like to keep it atleast for 10 years.
2. Must be a six seater. Can seat 4 adults + 2 kids comfortably.
3. Only AT. I'm a degenerative disc disease patient.
6. Budget: ~14lakhs.
7. Must be safe.

For your needs of 10 yrs reliable, fuss free ownership and seating capacity of 4 adults + 2 kids the answer is Innova Crysta.

Tata Hexa has a much superior ride quality no doubt, but the durability will not match to Toyota. More importantly Hexa is not in production, spares supply has already slowed. So 10 yrs ownership of Tata Hexa from today may not be hassle free, you will have to be prepared for downtimes when in need of critical spares.

Your other options would be Ertiga or XL6 with the new 6 speed AT. But kids would grow sooner and the last row may not be sufficiently spacious over next 10 yrs.

If you are ok with a manual transmission, the previous gen Innova had a better ride quality than the Crysta.

[quote]
Quote:

Originally Posted by narayans80 (Post 5420216)
Agreed! My son had the problem when he was younger. The sickness subsided after I took easy on the curves.

Thanks sir for your valuable suggestion. I'm also learning to drive easy around bends thereby reducing the side-to-side movement. But the problem is, my wife complains of constant bounciness (vertical movement) in our erstwhile Marazzo, even in the smooth and straight National Highways. As far as she is concerned, the car must have reduced/zero lateral movement in the second and third rows in NH.

Quote:

What would be your monthly or yearly running?
Related question, how much are you willing to spend monthly on EMI and fuel?
Yearly run would be around 12-15K Kilometers.

Quote:

10 years is really long term. If you are looking at high running, buying a 5 year old vehicle may not work unless you know the car and the owner in-and-out.

Given your budget, have you evaluated Ertiga, XL6 and Carens already?

PS: I guess we might know some common people :D
In Ertiga and XL6, the ride quality in the third row is never settled especially with full house. In contrast, the Carens is compliant, but 3 Star GNCAP rating let us down. Also, DCT GB can't complement such an MPV in long term. Diesel+TC combo is out of our budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 5420248)
This right there settles it in favour of the big Tata. Hexa’s ride quality is much better than Crysta’s. This difference gets exemplified in the third row, where the Innova gets positively choppy but Hexa remains composed.

Innova third row is well known for making people nauseous. No such issues with Hexa.

Will surely check Hexa, sir!
Having read various threads of our fellow members, we are worrying about the long term reliability of Hexa.
We are gonna primarily use it for long trips in full house mode; yearly run would be around 12-15K kilometers. And we would like to keep it for atleast 10 years. Can the Hexa do it for us?
Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbie98 (Post 5420280)
For your needs of 10 yrs reliable, fuss free ownership and seating capacity of 4 adults + 2 kids the answer is Innova Crysta.

Thanks for your valuable inputs sir!

Quote:

Tata Hexa has a much superior ride quality no doubt, but the durability will not match to Toyota. More importantly Hexa is not in production, spares supply has already slowed. So 10 yrs ownership of Tata Hexa from today may not be hassle free, you will have to be prepared for downtimes when in need of critical spares.
We are afraid of such scenarios!

[quote]
Quote:

Your other options would be Ertiga or XL6 with the new 6 speed AT. But kids would grow sooner and the last row may not be sufficiently spacious over next 10 yrs.
Yes they are growing faster!

Quote:

If you are ok with a manual transmission, the previous gen Innova had a better ride quality than the Crysta.
I'm a lover of manual transmission, but due to the disc issues, it has become close to impossible to use my left leg.

Thank you.

Without a doubt you should buy a Toyota Innova. The Hexa was a fantastic product, but you will not enjoy the interruptions due to the bad service and parts management at TML.

I honestly do not think TML products deserve to sell at the prices they list at. A Toyota will last you much longer because the company actually cares about its own reputation and the customer’s opinion. With TML, the company actually does not want you to bother them, hence you’ll feel like you are doing them a favor by buying their vehicle.

This opinion is based on what we have observed after 5 years of Hexa and Nano ownership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by One (Post 5420244)
Personally feel nauseous in Innova Crysta in the last row. I know options like XL6 and Carens probably don't meet the safety criteria you mentioned but I feel less nauseous in their third rows. (Don't have much idea about Hexa other than the fact that a person in my society told me that third row is significantly worse than first row).

Thanks for your observation sir.
Yes, Carens has one of the best third row, no side-to-side movement and next to nil vertical movement, but it was not under our radar due to the points I mentioned earlier.
But XL6 is the other way around, the rear suspension feels too springy; tossing the last benchers vertically. But there is no side-to-side movement.
Is the nausea you reported is due to side-to-side movement or vertical movement?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nissan1180 (Post 5420322)
Without a doubt you should buy a Toyota Innova. The Hexa was a fantastic product, but you will not enjoy the interruptions due to the bad service and parts management at TML.

Thanks for your inputs. I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. And you increase my fear of owning a Hexa even more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nissan1180 (Post 5420322)

I honestly do not think TML products deserve to sell at the prices they list at. A Toyota will last you much longer because the company actually cares about its own reputation and the customer’s opinion. With TML, the company actually does not want you to bother them, hence you’ll feel like you are doing them a favor by buying their vehicle.

This opinion is based on what we have observed after 5 years of Hexa and Nano ownership.

I agree to this 100%.

We have a Nano since 2015 and the service experience was great only in 2015 to 2017, post that its a downhill experience. In 2020 one of the wheel bolt was slipping was identified as thread damage and was suggested hub replacement. Waited for 6+ months for the part, multiple follow ups, even checked the Tata authorized spare parts shop at Bangalore - only one answer Nano is not in production so part not available. Finally ended up welding a stud bolt to the hub and using a nut.

Had the experience of 2018 Hexa (50k old) for 4 months. In the 4 months / 6000 km of usage there were multiple issues, a major one being - Oil Pump failure. The spare part was luckily available with one of the other dealers, so had to go there. Else they said a downtime of 3-6 weeks. The service center guys were not surprised at oil pump failure at 52k kms, they infact said that they had replaced for another vehicle just few weeks back and they also mentioned common issues with exhaust cracking, TVD (torsional vibration damper).

Tata motors makes comfortable cars, safe cars - no doubts at all.
But the reliability, durability, service and spares are no match to even Mahindras. Japanese are leagues ahead in this. This is purely from my personal experience owning Marutis, Mahindras, Tatas and Toyota.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirubakaran_G (Post 5420385)
But XL6 is the other way around, the rear suspension feels too springy; tossing the last benchers vertically. But there is no side-to-side movement.
Is the nausea you reported is due to side-to-side movement or vertical movement?

Can't recollect XL6 being too springy keeping in mind that my expectations from last row are anyways low. But it was definitely better than Crysta (which is also extremely sensitive to tyre pressures more than XL6).

On your query around direction of movement, with general nausea I think I am prone more to other factors than movement (Whenever I travel in hills, I don't get nausea if the ACs are off)

1. Seat material: If rexine/ PU, composite leather etc. I find that worse than fabric. So Crysta GX feels more comfortable than the ZX model.

2. Somehow the ac vents in diesel vehicles cause me more issues than petrol ones. For example, even n second row, if I keep second row ac vents off my face in a Toyota, it is fine else I feel skittish within minutes.

3. The open space in the middle of captain seats in second row help me more than a bench seat in 2nd row in terms of keeping nausea controlled. In fact in the Carens, even in bench version, the middle seat backrest drops completely to open up the view for third row folks.

To summarise, for me it is not movement as much as the other factors mentioned and I have seen this to be applicable with my family members as well.

On your search of a car, I too would love everyone to be comfortable across all three rows in my car but unfortunately there's no safe and comfortable option that I have experienced in cars upto ₹50 lakhs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirubakaran_G (Post 5420385)
But XL6 is the other way around, the rear suspension feels too springy; tossing the last benchers vertically.

XL6 suspension is on the stiff side. So unless you are taking taller speed breakers (by virtue of gradient) tad bit faster, you should not see tossing around. I see this behavior on other stiffer suspension cars I owned/own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayans80 (Post 5420753)
XL6 suspension is on the stiff side. So unless you are taking taller speed breakers (by virtue of gradient) tad bit faster, you should not see tossing around. I see this behavior on other stiffer suspension cars I owned/own.

Thanks Narayans80.
I accept that it was the case with ill-paved roads.
The problem lies in constant lumpiness aka mild vertical movement felt in the third row of XL6 under full load even in the well paved National Highways.