Team-BHP - Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/183773-tata-hexa-vs-xuv500-vs-innova-crysta-vs-others-10.html)

Going by buzz , XUV engine might soon get more horses - 170 . But Mahindra might play it's cards in a way that the updated engine would be in top variants . I think they did similar with MHawk engine in Scorpio. So Hexa seems safer bet between two. My two cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_mechengg (Post 4294092)
Dont even think of Xuv if your criteria is ride comfort. " Small Audio" is totally functional and the best in the segment and above it. Try listening to Harman in hexa and ones in BMW and merc.

The points mentioned against hexa like coin holders and what not cab be bought aftermarket at peanuts price. But the basics in which Hexa really excels cant be fitted as an aftermarket.

Choice is yours :thumbs up

Absolutely agree with you. Issues like "place to keep a mobile" should not be a deciding factor while buying a car. Like you said, accessories for such things can be bought at peanuts price.

Also, the head unit may be small, but it delivers good output. And again, I personally feel that while features like Auto Android, Navigation etc are good to have, they should not be the deciding factor while buying a car. Its things like how good the car is for driving where you intend to drive it, overall quality / reliability and ride quality etc that should determine your choice while buying a car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 4294098)
My vote goes to the Hexa. The XUV is getting a bit long in the tooth, plus it's too ubiquitous, methinks.

The Hexa's fundamentals are quite sorted, plus at least I haven't read of any deal breaking issues in the Hexa thread yet.

Cheers,
Vikram

I agree that Hexa's fundamentals are quite sorted.

So my advice is that if you like the Hexa, dont bother about small issues and just go ahead.

Cheers

As per many reviews the Hexa outperforms the XUV when it comes to off roading, anybody who would like to shed more light in this area?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejinair (Post 4306731)
As per many reviews the Hexa outperforms the XUV when it comes to off roading, anybody who would like to shed more light in this area?

I have a friend who owned a XUV and says Hexa outperforms Xuv in all aspects. Be it ride quality or handling or space or quality. Offroading package on Hexa is also quite good with terrain control system. You can explore it online.

So I am guessing, the only advantage the XUV has over Hexa would be the hardly used Sunroof, AT and slightly better driving experience. My vote goes for Hexa.. Lets see what Mahindra comes up with the new XUV.

Honestly I wish Toyota comes up with something like Hexa in that price range. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_mechengg (Post 4306774)
I have a friend who owned a XUV and says Hexa outperforms Xuv in all aspects. Be it ride quality or handling or space or quality. Offroading package on Hexa is also quite good with terrain control system. You can explore it online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejinair (Post 4306778)
So I am guessing, the only advantage the XUV has over Hexa would be the hardly used Sunroof, AT and slightly better driving experience. My vote goes for Hexa.. Lets see what Mahindra comes up with the new XUV.

Honestly I wish Toyota comes up with something like Hexa in that price range. :)

Am afraid it's just the sunroof, which can also be installed on the Hexa mind you, but with poor finish as it's not factory fit.

AT and better driving experience? You need to take a TD of both! Hexa offers excellent drive quality and it's got a TOD auto gearbox. The best auto box and ride quality which gives even cars a segment higher a run for their money!

AT since Hexa doesnt come in AT with 4x4 which the XUV does. Since 4x4 is a preference for me, It would have been great to have AT with 4x4 on the Hexa

Also I read it somewhere that XUV beats the Hexa 0 to 60 and 0 to 100.. I would wait for a few more months to get better long term reviews.

Yes I am going to try both this weekend. But to be honest Hexa does look like a much better package overall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi7013 (Post 4306792)
Am afraid it's just the sunroof, which can also be installed on the Hexa mind you, but with poor finish as it's not factory fit.

AT and better driving experience? You need to take a TD of both! Hexa offers excellent drive quality and it's got a TOD auto gearbox. The best auto box and ride quality which gives even cars a segment higher a run for their money!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejinair (Post 4306805)
Also I read it somewhere that XUV beats the Hexa 0 to 60 and 0 to 100.. I would wait for a few more months to get better long term reviews.

With the new ECU updates on the Hexa, someone has to re-check the 0 to 60 and 100 timings that it takes. Cause the turbo lag has significantly reduced and that i believe would impact the time for acceleration too.
Do make sure the TD car has the update!

We bought our XUV W6 AT 2 months back. We did an extensive comparison between the Creta, XUV and hexa as they fell within our budget of 16.5L on road. The compass and Crysta were out of budget.
Comparison between the Xuv and hexa based on the following parameters.
Looks:
The Xuv looked more SUVish but the side profile was a bit quirky. The hexa looked good as well but had too much of the Van look, plus to my dad it looked like the Aria.

Ride quality.
Definitely the hexa wins here. Very comfortable over all types of roads even with the 19 inch wheels though there was some stiffness over sharp potholes.
The Xuv was more bouncy over slight undulating on the road but it wasn't a deal breaker.

Handling:
Taking corners felt better in the Xuv than the hexa. I felt the hexa had a tad more body roll on the bends.

Interior design and quality
:
Hexa has really good quality interiors but that small touch screen really looks out of place. The Xuv buttons feel cheap to use but the big touch screen plus the waterfall dash design looks better.Plastic quality was not good on the Xuv.

Space and features.
Feature wise, the tata is really bad. We had the budget for the XMA model but lack of power folding mirrors, alloy wheels, ESP etc was too big a negative to look over. The Xuv scores over the tata big time.
The Xuv has the better second row but the third row plus Boot space belong to the hexa.

Engine and gearbox:
The Xuv felt faster than the hexa in most situations. The nvh felt the same for both. The sports mode on the hexa was an advantage but it still dint make it faster than the Xuv. Both gearbox were good but they both don't seem to like upshifting from 1-2-3 gear range, this was felt a bit more in the Xuv. The Xuv is more fuel efficient than the hexa.

Price/ dealership/after sales experience:
The Hexa xma was about 30k cheaper than the W6 AT of the Xuv when we bought the Xuv( August 2017), didn't seem like much of a difference due to a lot of features that were missing in the hexa. But the biggest negative, atleast for my dad was the Tata after sales reputation in Goa. It still today hasn't improved. Mahindra has a much better reputation of the two here.My dad had a bad experience with his old indigo and seeing very marginal improvement in the service was not confident inspiring for him. Hence the decision in favor of the Xuv.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo1o1 (Post 4306858)
We bought our XUV W6 AT 2 months back. We did an extensive comparison between the Creta, XUV and hexa as they fell within our budget of 16.5L on road.

Would be great to hear your thoughts on Creta vs. XUV

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr (Post 4306887)
Would be great to hear your thoughts on Creta vs. XUV

Will try and keep it brief.
Comparison between the Xuv and Creta based on the following parameters.
Looks:
Though technically both are crossover, the larger Xuv looks more imposing though some of the cheetah inspired stuff looks ugly. The Creta has got a beautiful side and rear profile but I was not a fan of the front look. It all boils down to personal tastes.

Ride quality.
The Creta has a more car like ride, very comfortable over bumps. The Xuv though being a monocoque, behaves little like a ladder on chassis with leaf springs. Is a bit more bouncy over bumps at low speeds. Though at higher speeds it's quite comfortable.

Handling:
Taking corners was a tie for me. Both took corners decently,but the Xuv was slightly better. Really won't be a big difference so both win here.

Interior design and quality
:
Now when it comes to interior design, I'm in two minds. The Creta looks very similar to it's cheaper siblings, carries the same interior style of the i20. The Xuv is more unique and I kind of prefer it over the Hyundai. Though I prefer Hyundai's instrument cluster over the Xuv.
When it comes to quality, the Hyundai wins hand down. Mahindra really needs to do something about this.

Space and features.
Space Wise the Xuv wins hands down. I really find it difficult to see how 3 adults can fit comfortably on the rear seat of the Creta. Leg room is decent but the width seems narrow. Thin teens can fit but I tried by personally checking with me,my dad and the sales assistant, we couldn't fit comfortably behind.
The Xuv is the king here, you could squeeze 4 teens behind if needed,plus the last row is good enough for adults with shorter legs.
Features wise both have almost the same however the Xuv comes with ESP which Hyundai doesn't ( SX+ AT) and the Creta has push button start over the Xuv, though I feel ESP is more important of the two.

Engine and gearbox:
Both cars felt fast to drive. The Creta has the quieter engine while the Xuv is slightly noiser at higher revs. I felt the push back feeling was better in the Xuv. The Creta is slightly linear. Both also have very competent Auto boxes. Really didn't feel much difference but the Hyundai was slightly better at upshifts from 1-2-3 but down shifts were slower.the opposite was true in the Xuv. Overall I felt the Creta to be the faster car but only slightly.

Price/ dealership/after sales experience:
The Creta SX+ ex-showroom Goa was just 24k cheaper than the Xuv W6 AT. Since we didn't have parking space constraints and dad was not too mileage conscious , the Xuv was a no brainier. Some people do have a higher perception of the Hyundai over the Mahindra Brand but for us this wasn't the case. Also The service center is on par with Hyundai so it wasn't a big negative like the Tata Service.

Overall, for our needs the Xuv was the best.
Sorry for the long post,I promised to keep it brief but I couldn't help myselfstupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo1o1 (Post 4306858)

Congrats!

Which Tata dealer did you contact? Auto industries suck big time though another dealer from Bicholim (shortly opening Mapusa branch) is quite responsive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay380 (Post 4308204)
Congrats!

Which Tata dealer did you contact? Auto industries suck big time though another dealer from Bicholim (shortly opening Mapusa branch) is quite responsive.

Auto industries nuvem.:D
Both the South Goan ones suck, heard about slightly better experience in the North Goan one. I guess tata turnaround magic is yet to reach auto industries:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo1o1 (Post 4308497)
Auto industries nuvem.:D
Both the South Goan ones suck, heard about slightly better experience in the North Goan one. I guess tata turnaround magic is yet to reach auto industries:Frustrati

From what I hear, their days are numbered. Tata didn't give them Nexon.

A very good morning fellow BHPians,

As I slithered out of my python like lethargy and took test drives of automatic top versions of Hexa as well as XUV500 this weekend, I couldn’t stop myself from sharing the experience with You all.

I know, this comparison has already been beaten to death umpteen number of times with different sticks, but nonetheless, here goes my one hit as well :deadhorse

Hexa
The first to arrive was Tata Hexa XTA in Tungsten Silver colour. Mr Samarth from Sri Durga Tata Dwarka NCR was a very prompt, courteous and knowledgeable member of Team Tata. He was immaculately dressed, eloquent and very well versed with Hexa. Full points to Tata. (I’m a ten year old customer of Tata with 60k on my Indica Xeta, so I don’t expect anything much from Tata dealers; but then the advantage of being a pessimist is that you are always pleasantly surprised).

The moment You enter Hexa’s cabin, You feel like You’ve arrived in Scadanavian Winters. I mean You know that You’re in the best place in the world but yet it’s so sullen. Fit, finish and quality is top notch, but in the name of premium look, Tata has gone overboard with Black. Come on guys, it’s depressing. Even Audis and BMWs throw some colours. What stopped tata from using two shades of leather on dashboard? Why didn’t they use a red stitching on seats? Believe me, the quality of seats on Hexa is as good as or even better than those of Jeep Compass, but even then Hexa’s seats don’t stand out. Tata has lost a big opportunity here to make the cabin lively.

The key of a 20 lakh vehicle is like that of my Indica Xeta, no smart key, no keyless entry, no engine start stop!! Did Tata put all these efforts in developing Hexa to just be the underdog? I fail to understand really. XUV500 goes overboard and Tata Hexa deliberately goes ‘underboard’ (if there’s such a word, Moderators please pardon me for taking the english grammar also for a test drive today).

Ok, so there’s no electric adjustment for Driver’s seat, what’s the logic behind that no one knows. I have stopped trying to look for logic with them post ten years with my Xeta. Once You huff and puff and adjust Your seat a beautifully crafted steering wheel greets You. It is solid, chunky, leather clad and a joy to behold. It befits a vehicle of this size. The Automatic gear lever too exudes premium quality, You put it in reverse and the Hexa moves gracefully back. I didn’t find the steering to be heavy at all and easily did a Y back turn and came on the main road.

Once I accelerated the vehicle, I moved ahead without any jerk or nervousness. I would like to put graceful in bold because that is how I felt Hexa behaved always. Once I reached the speed of 50 kmph, I deliberately breaked suddenly and it stopped without any nose dive or shudder. I didn’t miss the ESP. Now I floored the accelerator and to my joy, this beast accelerated like a running rhinoceros and I overtook two trucks on the highway in a matter of seconds. I really felt exhilarated as I didn’t expect a 2.2 ton vehicle to have this much mojo.

The second row seats, surprisingly, are less on leg room. There’s a minor drive train bump in the middle but then Hexa is a rear wheel drive whilst XUV500 is a front wheel one, so One shouldn’t complain I guess. However, the second row seats tilt as well as slide. Slide for second row is missing in XUV500. Seats are comfy and would hold the occupants well over long drives.

What surprises You is the actually usable third row of Hexa. It is good enough to seat three kids or two adults comfortably. Cushioning on third row seats is also very good and what’s good is that these are fully developed seats, not some afterthought.

With all three rows up, Hexa still has usable boot space and it can easily accommodate two mid size suitcases and a big duffel bag.

So seating wise Hexa is good. Ride quality wise Hexa is magical. I don’t know how Tata has managed it, the suspension just glides over bumps. The cabin of Hexa remains so pliant that You feel that the road tax paid by You has been utilized well by the Roads and Tpt Ministry.

Build quality of Hexa is robust. However, what will make Hexa flop in the Indian market is as follows:-
(a) a very premium and very depressing cabin.
(b) no gimmicks. Give me atleast keyless entry for God’s sake Tata.
(c) the couldn’t care less attitude of Tata dealers. Tata, either You go the Maruti Nexa way or Your ‘Taxi Driver Entertaining’ dealers will take your business down the drain.

I am still missing the look of the leather stiched upper glove box of Hexa with HEXA embossing.. sigh..

Now, we will shift our gaze to the next stallion, the

XUV500
XUV500 arrived majestically in her grey colour, the W10 Automatic Fwd Wheel Drive variant. The cabin is bright, the beige coloured leather seats are very good, but nowhere near to Hexa’s though.

XUV500 pampers You from the word Go. Keyless entry, autofold out ORVMs, electric 8 way adjust driver’s seat. The car tells the Driver that You are my God and I am here to serve You. Everyone has a board hanging around his neck that says “Make Me feel Important” and XUV500 does that and more.

The top dash is black in colour, plastic is cheap and to add insult to injury Mahindra has given it a tacky texture. Cheap is the word to describe it. Storage spaces are a plenty, twin glove boxes, below arm rest, around the Auto Gear Lever, on top of central dash. You will never find yourself lacking a place to put something. The gear lever and steering wheels look good. Again, nowhere in comparison to Hexa’s.

The driver seat offers amazing support, adjusts exactly as per your desire and requirements. The car is more nimble in her movements compared to Hexa but Hexa was graceful, XUV500 is not, XUV500 is eager, not graceful. The auto gear change in Hexa was almost intuitive. I drive with pedal to floor style (my favourite sticker for my car’s rear bumper is Got BHP! :OT) and Hexa smoothly shifted gears. It felt as if I was driving a CVT. XUV500 on the other hand holds the revs for two seconds too long. I think it caters for any uphill situation without even me pressing Hill Hold control.

Compared to Hexa, ride quality of XUV500 is bumpy. The difference is as stark as between the ride quality of old Hyundai Santro and Honda City. I drove over the same bumps at the same speed as I drove the Hexa, hence I can confidently say that XUV500 tosses You around much more. Acceleration of the vehicle is good but it never feels as solidly attached to road as Hexa did. It doesn’t exude a lot of confidence at a speed of 100 and above.

The second row of XUV500 pampers you with lot of leg space and knee room. Second row tilts but doesn’t slide. Third row is passable, good for kids or short drive for adults. There’s no boot space with third row up. You can keep your shaving kit and a toothpaste there though (just exaggerating, but only a very small bag can fit with all 3 rows up).

Now, XUV500 is that kid which although not very intelligent, gets better marks in class impression. I will tell You why:-
(a) it pampers the driver.
(b) it is much more sporty and beefy to look at.
(c) has a lively cabin.
(d) has all gadgets and gizmos.

Conclusion

So, as per my opinion, XUV500 will continue to rule the roost in mid level SUVs for some time. Mahindra needs to upgrade the music system and get Apple Car Play soon to stay ahead.

Hexa, although the kid with the better IQ, will lag behind as it doesn’t know how to impress the teacher. If Tata doesn’t get electric seat adjust, smart key entry and a livelier cabin soon in Hexa, I am sure Hexa is gonna go down the drain like Aria.

Regards fellow BHPians, thanks for tolerating me. stupid: