Team-BHP - Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/183773-tata-hexa-vs-xuv500-vs-innova-crysta-vs-others-6.html)

Voted for Safari 4X4 version, as it s a proper SUV though not cutting edge. Despite having lesser features and a spartan interior design which is more function over form i feel it has achieved some success in its current avatar.

It keeps pace with fast SUV's like XUV on highways and on hills/ghats it really rules, it s neither not too long and heavy like the Hexa nor it bounces it s occupants on twists like the XUV.

To quote an example one Safari Storme and one XUV automatic made a trip together to Spiti Valley from Pune. On straight highways XUV sprinted a lot and safari could not out perform but kept pace but on hills the Safari was the King. The XUV Auto owner experienced severe clutch burning smell which forced him to stop at a certain height.

Safari Storme was selected by Army for replacing their ageing Gypsies which is a testament for their durability and offshore prowess.

Finally
1. Poor mans Luxury MUV - Crysta
2. Looks - XUV 500
3. SUV/MUV Practicality - Hexa
4. VFM SUV - Safari Storme All Day (My Vote)

Hi my 2 cents..

I have voted for other (Ford Endeavor 4x2 2.20 AT). Why am I taking a higher category vs the ones on the vote, the reason to vote for Endeavour is due to the exorbitant pricing of the Crysta. A Crysta 2.8AT vx comes to almost INR 26-27 lakhs on road in Mumbai. The Endeavor base model 2.20 AT is ~28 lakhs which is precariously close.

To my mind the base version of the Endeavor ticks almost all boxes that one desires on this thread.

Now coming to the modelwise views.

1. Crysta - No. Why? Price. There is no way I am paying 26 lakhs for a people mover. I have driven the 2.8AT and to my mind the engine has been tuned with long term ownership and highway cruising in mind. Despite being a 177bhp I did not find the engine to be a drivers delight. Interiors are fabulous and family is gonna love it. But the driver in me would get bored with the dull driving in a year or 2 max

2. XUV - Having driven cross-country in my 2014 XUV W8 extensively I can say it connects with my driver heart like no vehicle has in my 300k+kms of driving. Zippy, reliable and aggressive, an absolute drivers car. Handles like a sedan, solid handling and albeit unimpressive, but reliable braking. Has never let me down (despite being a 2wd). But a big downer is the terrible suspension, the smallest of undulations are filtered into the cabin. So much so that the family has refused to take >300 kms journey in the car with me. This one aspect has ensured I will not buy the XUV again. Hence, no.

3. Hexa - I havent personally been in the car but I still need to find a single person who has a single negative to say about the Hexa. Everyone who has been inside it loved it. Zippy enough, and a good AT with gizmos. Has little left to be desired. Personally speaking, I also know of more Tata owners liking their vehicles than not. Yes, service quality is the worst of the lot and resale is non existent. I am more concerned at how the vehicle will age. Will it be graceful like the Innova or will it become a clattery unreliable mass (Think of the old indicas/vistas). My gutfeel is it will be somewhere in the middle and I may be stranded for lack of good service support. Hence, no for now.

Tata owners, any thoughts from you on my view about Tata would help, as I am looking to upgrade from my XUV in the next year or so and looking at the Hexa very seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriramr9 (Post 4140769)
The XUV Auto owner experienced severe clutch burning smell which forced him to stop at a certain height.

Was it a manual or an automatic? The automatic comes with a torque converter and there shouldn't be any clutch burning, AFAIK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4141245)
Was it a manual or an automatic? The automatic comes with a torque converter and there shouldn't be any clutch burning, AFAIK.

Sorry to have mentioned "Clutch" burning smell. To be precise it was burning smell associated to constant driving on the ghats section inching in traffic. I am not for sure know exactly Slush box converter works, but this vehicle was an Automatic and Storme was a Manual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriramr9 (Post 4141401)
Sorry to have mentioned "Clutch" burning smell. To be precise it was burning smell associated to constant driving on the ghats section inching in traffic. I am not for sure know exactly Slush box converter works, but this vehicle was an Automatic and Storme was a Manual.

A manual, an AMT or even a dry clutch DSG may give out burning smell if caught in traffic while climbing a ghat.
A Torque converter AT does'nt have a clutchplate to scrape on its flywheel, so getting a burnt clutch smell is out of question.
If your friend was inching in traffic using brakes to control the vehicle, smell of burnt brake pads is possible.

Rahul

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriramr9 (Post 4141401)

Could have been a case of driving with the hand brakes pulled up. Just a possibility.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahul Rao (Post 4141588)
A Torque converter AT does'nt have a clutchplate
Rahul

That's not completely true. Torque converter gearboxes have multiple clutches inside them. Although not at the interface of the gearbox and engine. ( flywheel)

You spend most of the time on the Inside of the car. The Hexa interiors are the best quality among this lot.

I have experienced the Aria MT 4X4 for 2.5 yrs and loved it. The Hexa 4X4 MT just takes this further with 6 speed gears and greater power. I do find the driver seat to be a bit short on space though.

The Stability on rough roads and curves both are an important criteria in it's favour.

If you are prepared to give the Acc a bit of a shove then Hexa will reward both in city and highway drives more the XUV.

Have driven all but the Innova a fair bit.

Biggest regret for the Hexa is the absence of AT in 4X4 mode.

So it is Hexa first for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 4142832)
You spend most of the time on the Inside of the car. The Hexa interiors are the best quality among this lot.

I have experienced the Aria MT 4X4 for 2.5 yrs and loved it. The Hexa 4X4 MT just takes this further with 6 speed gears and greater power. I do find the driver seat to be a bit short on space though.

The Stability on rough roads and curves both are an important criteria in it's favour.

If you are prepared to give the Acc a bit of a shove then Hexa will reward both in city and highway drives more the XUV.

Have driven all but the Innova a fair bit.

Biggest regret for the Hexa is the absence of AT in 4X4 mode.

So it is Hexa first for me.

I am sold on the Hexa too. The interiors and the captain seats are a big thumbs up. As a TATA owner, I have had good ownership and service experience and so the badge is not a worry.
I feel the Hexa ticks all the right boxes for me for what Im looking for. It could very well be the one car solution for me, comfortable ride for the family and ability to go places without much fuss.

I hear lot of good things about autobox and that the AT is the choice transmission to plonk money on over the MT. But I miss the AT 4x4 version sorely. Even if they do introduce one at a later date, the auto variants don't seem to have ESP, Hill Descent and Traction Control.That would be a miss on the absolute top variant.

Any rumours on when its expected?

I asked HEXA chat and the reasons given were:

We create differentiation amongst our variants, so that they appeal to various segments of customers. Most of our city dwelling customers are looking for convenience and safety which are both available in the automatic transmission variants.

Yes, the ESP is not present in the AT but the Hexa has been tested for the safety measures and there are no complaints.

You and your co passengers are completely safe inside the vehicle.

On asking if theres a plan for 4x4AT,

Currently there are no such updates, but we will let you know when Tata Motors plan to launch Hexa in the AT 4X4 wheel drive

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4138474)
Now, with the Hexa & XUV500 both, the Automatic variants are very competitive. I'll pick their AT variant over the MT any day. Within the ATs, the Hexa is sadly unavailable with an AWD,

I also wish the AT AWD was available in Hexa.

Just curious, if the Hexa did come with a AT AWD, then would your choice change?

In opinion polls like these, I normally vote for the car I would put my money on.

Among these there are two cars that I would actually think of buying. Will get to it, but let me explain what I would be looking for in this segment if I were in the market.

I already own a Punto and am very happy with it. So which ever car I buy, the Punto stays. It might be relegated to do inside city runs and all highway outings will be taken care by the new car. Occasionally when I want to have fun on the twisties, Punto will have me on the driving seat.

With that established, it means the primary requirement for me would be a comfortable and spacious long distance tourer. I am not an off roader so really do not know if I need AWD. Ease of driving takes a back seat with respect to comfort and highway manners. These cars are well over a million bucks so they might as well feel so.

Now among the listed cars, first one to be struck out will be Scorpio. Too crude for my liking. Does not seem to have any finesse, plus it is cramped for its size.

Innova Crysta may be the rock star with legendary Toyota name, but despite the rewamp, it is too boring for me. Also it is the most expensive one out there. Out it goes.

XUV has a lot going for it. But its too flashy for my tastes. I simply can't get my mind to spend big ones and get those mustaches. Looks play very important part in my decision making and if I don't like the looks of it, I simply can't get myself to spend more than 1.5 Million bucks on a car.

That leaves us with Storme and Hexa. These are the two cars in the segment that I would actually think of buying.

Safari has always had a special place in my heart despite all its short comings. Storme is the best safari till date so it definitely has a strong pull. But viewed alongside the Hexa, it does not make much sense for me to be buying one. The Hexa is so impressive that it makes me let go my fanboyism towards Safari. stupid:

It has all I am looking for if I am buying a car in this segment. It looks good, is spacious, has a wonderful ride and has great quality inside out. It may be a refurbished Aria, but even that is a car I really like.

I am pretty sure that if I were to buy a car in this segment across body types, it would be the Tata Hexa. Hence voted for the same.

Just received the new Hexa XTA. So having TDed and researched them all, that was my choice and ergo my vote too. No contest for me given the goodies, the ride and the pricetag. Oh and yes, it lives up to the hype!

However good the Hexa is, but when one of the options reads as Innova then that is what I am going to choose. Enough has been documented and said about its strengths and weaknesses and I cannot add more. With the new improved engines, transmission options and feature list, it becomes a no brainer for me.

The sad state is that everybody votes for a Tata car, but who buys one.

Most of them end up with Innova and second comes the XUV 500. This is more evident in the world outside Teambhp!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rki2007 (Post 4157133)
The sad state is that everybody votes for a Tata car, but who buys one.
!

This was exactly my thought. Comparing our tbhp survey to real world sales will give us an idea how 'representative' the tbhp demographic is to the actual car buying public.

However much success we wish for Tata, I don't see them garnering 50% share of the tbhp MPV market, let alone the Indian MPV market.