Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Toyota Fortuner 173 29.73%
Ford Endeavour 378 64.95%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 3 0.52%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 24 4.12%
Hyundai Santa Fe 4 0.69%
Voters: 582. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2017, 16:30   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner vs the competition

Again mind v/s heart game here. Heart is for Endeavor, bur mind for TFort. I like the looks of both Endy and TFort. For that matter, even Pajero and Santa Fe.

When plonking such massive sums, I will go with proven factors, rather than fringe features.

Panoramic Sunroof : Love this, but must have? NO
Rain sensing wipers: I am least bothered. I prefer to operate wipers on my own.
Rear Fog lamps: If there is good enough light to reverse, I'm good.
Auto dimming IRVM: Nice to have. Anyways on highway drives, I switch to dim permanently.
lumbar adjustment: Nice to have, can easily live without this. Not sure when age will demand this
Front parking sensors: Should be nice, but not essential with the bonnet visible
Headlamp washer: Doesn't matter.
Good Quality Reverse Camera: Would love this, but shouldn't be hard to fit an after market one
Good Quality Paint finish: Hmm... If it looks great, and will be rust free, I have no issue. I'm sure Toyota will be of top quality from that perspective. I'm not too worried about microscopic detail like orange peel effect. Sure, it looks ugly, but not a deal breaker for me.
Hydraulic strut on bonnet: This will be missed, but hopefully the number of times the bonnet will need to be opened by me should be far too few.
samm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 16:45   #32
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Fortuner. I bought a Fortuner after having owned an previous generation Endeavour.

Ford is a great car to own, but the constant niggles, mediocre service capabilities dents the "peace of mind" expected after investing over 3.5 Million INR. This is especially when one cares about the car and wants it in pristine condition at all times.

The bigger shock comes when you want to sell the car. The resale of Endeavour was so bad, that you feel humiliated for owning the car and maintaining the car in pristine condition. I hope the new Endeavour changes this poor track record.

Plus, Toyota SUVs are known to outlast the owner. IMO, if both the cars are abused similarly, the Toyota is more capable to come out unscratched.
MAS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 00:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIBS View Post
I guess, what people vote for won't really matter. With readiness to buy a new SUV at 30 lacs, most would end up buying Fortuner only. Need for a high resale value (a highly dominating cultural thought process, which weighs even more due to family's dependence on single (in most of the cases, if not all) source of income) , long term reliability and the Toyota badge will overshadow every missing element in the Fortuner. Even I too like Endeavour more. But that is more of a desire than practicality. Yeah, if I have more than enough money and don't know how to spend, OR, if I am single for ever, then an Endeavour for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Voted for the Fortuner. I bought a Fortuner after having owned an previous generation Endeavour.

Ford is a great car to own, but the constant niggles, mediocre service capabilities dents the "peace of mind" expected after investing over 3.5 Million INR. This is especially when one cares about the car and wants it in pristine condition at all times.

The bigger shock comes when you want to sell the car. The resale of Endeavour was so bad, that you feel humiliated for owning the car and maintaining the car in pristine condition. I hope the new Endeavour changes this poor track record.

Plus, Toyota SUVs are known to outlast the owner. IMO, if both the cars are abused similarly, the Toyota is more capable to come out unscratched.

Exactly my thoughts.
People may vote for the Endeavour but will buy the Fortuner. Numbers speak.

Imagine you have saved your hard earned money to buy a 39 lakh car, will you invest it on a Ford or a Toyota?

I can never dare/imagine to give it to Ford, not that it is a bad company, I've had the Ecosport for over 3 years now and had very good ownership experience.

One more major clincher is that Ford offers on 3 years warranty whereas Toyota offers 7 years

Last edited by ecosport rules : 11th February 2017 at 01:11.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 08:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

One more major clincher is that Ford offers on 3 years warranty whereas Toyota offers 7 years

I think before the end of 3 years you can extend the Ford warranty for an additional year. You can do this for 2 additional years total. So you get a total of 5 years warranty.

I hope Ford would just give that 5 years straight up front in the near future.
Old 11th February 2017, 13:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcarsm View Post
I think before the end of 3 years you can extend the Ford warranty for an additional year. You can do this for 2 additional years total. So you get a total of 5 years warranty. .
Are you sure?
I have checked with Mody Ford they were not sure if the warranty on existing vehicles can be extended.

I am facing a similar issue with my Ecosport now, I have a 2+2 years warranty currently.
When I asked about the 5th year extention, they bluntly denied it and clarified that 2+3 years is only available for newer Ecosports.

I just hope they don't make the same mistake with the Endeavour
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 14:14   #36
BHPian

Yes, service centers are few and far between and there's all the other yadda yadda about a "dying brand" and all that BUT it has (engine, road manners, handling) more character and feel than any other here - the Mitsubishi Pajero!
Old 11th February 2017, 18:12   #37
BHPian

This is my take on the SUVs in the contest:

Sante Fe: Not a real SUV compared the others here. More of a crossover. So really didnt consider it.

Pajero Sport: Test drove it a couple of years back and really liked the way it drove. But I felt the interiors were a bit cramped and dated. Plus news of the new Ford Endeavour to be launched had already started trickling in.

Toyota Fortuner: Although it had been around for a while, somehow it never appealed to me. I felt it was overpriced and the engines, atleast on paper, didnt seem worth it either. I must admit I have never driven one. But that is because I never really felt like it.
Not really interested in the New Fortuner either.

Chevrolet Trailblazer:Test drove it in Kochi last year. Although it was a short drive, it felt really nice to drive. The engine is a gem. The fact that the new Endeavour was being launched soon and the lack of 4x4 told me to hold on.

Ford Endeavour:I have been following it right from its launch in Australia. I was hooked to the car and kept reading each and every review and comparo that was available on the net. The car was tugging at my heart from thousands of miles away. My only wish was that when Ford launches it in India, it should retain the same engines and at least most of the features that were available abroad within a price bracket that I could afford.

And that is exactly what Ford did. I felt it was a genuine effort from them. It had everything I wanted and I went weak in my knees when I saw it for the first time in the showroom. Booked it the next day.

Voted for the Endeavour.

Last edited by SCORPION : 11th February 2017 at 18:23.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 00:06   #38
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Cross-posting from the Endeavour thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4144170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Here's the list of all problems being faced/reported by owners in Austraila, I have copied from

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...8&postcount=12

We can surely co-relate many with similar problems here.

1.Faulty Crank position sensor - random engine shutdown or hard starting.

2. Rear engine oil seal leak.

3. Water leak on sunroof and random places(doors and panels.)

4. Rear door rubber seal falling off.

5. Misaligned rear spoiler and doors and crack on body seams.

6. CEL due to failed EGR valve.

7. Random advance track or powertrain error.

8. Bubbles(can lead to rust) on paint on doors and tailgate edges and seems.

9. Transmission jerk from 5th gear going to 6th gear.

10. Loose or broken oil cooler hose.

11. Random sync 2 error for S2 users.

12. Skipping wiper blade.

13. 10min oil drain rule is still applicable.

14. Auto levelling HL issue.

15. Squealing brakes due to cracked brake pads and damaged pistons.

16. Broken driver power seat.

17. Rough idle(bounces from 700-800rpm) on 3.2 engine while a/c is off.

18. Whistles/wind noise at speed over 120kph. Some reports as low as 70kph.

19. 20" oem good year tire weak sidewall.

20. Moist in windshield especially during humid cold weather due to leaking air in dashboard vent.

21. Vibration in accel pedal.

22. Leak in rear pinion oil seal

23. Leak in transmission oil seal(going rear axle.)

24. Cracked-in-half belt idler pulley.

25. Peeled off propeller shaft sticker rubbing in body causing noise.

26. Broken Flexible exhaust pipe.

27. Loose nut on one of the A/C line connections.

28. Low oil level/improperly filed fluid. A case in ours completely killed the tranny is less than 200kms.
I could relate to some of the niggles in my previous generation Endy. I was worried about these long list of "niggles" and steered clear of the Blue Oval. Exactly the reasons which prompted me to book the Fortuner and own one.
MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 22:01   #39
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Are you sure?

I have checked with Mody Ford they were not sure if the warranty on existing vehicles can be extended.

I had this info given to me from 2 different dealers in Bangalore. Both said up to 5 years possible. I think I should check up with Ford directly now that you raised a point with Ecosport experience.

Last edited by Czarcarsm : 12th February 2017 at 22:03.
Czarcarsm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 09:41   #40
BHPian

Please accept my apologies for back to back posts. This posting is as per my promise in the previous post to contact Ford to clarify on Endy extended warranty.
I called up Ford India today. The customer care executive at the other end initially mentioned that "Yes you can extend Endy warranty upto 5 yrs provided the total kms projected at the end of 5yrs is less than 1 lac kms."
So I decided to dig more into it. At that point she consulted with another senior person and came back with the below statement
"Ford currently does not provide warranty on Endy beyond 3 yrs. That is 2 yrs from factory and 1 yr additional purchase"
I pointed out that competition is offering higher extended warranty and Ford should offer upto 5 yrs extended. She has taken it as a feedback. But not sure how high it will go.
So it turns out that what the Ford dealers told me was incorrect

Last edited by Czarcarsm : 13th February 2017 at 09:43.
Czarcarsm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 15:41   #41
BHPian

This is my framework for evaluating all these capable vehicles:
  • An SUV needs to be able to go anywhere. Has to be 4x4, and has to be manual. I am going to trust this vehicle in some very extreme situations - and I need to be able to relate to the vehicle fully, without an auto box doing the translations in between.
  • I buy a TV for its great picture and sound. I do not buy it for the fact that it can also chill water! Similarly, while lots of bells and whistles are great - but the heart of the SUV needs to be 'bare' and with less electronics - which can withstand the SUV rough usage.

Based on these two criteria, I continue to like Pajero Sport. Toyota has taken its own sweet time correcting all the handling and brake related feedback in the Fortuner. True - they have introduced the 2017 version sooner than others - but then, they are only correcting things that the Pajero Sport has already sorted out in its previous versions. Fortuner sells like crazy - but it you take away the 4x2 MT, AT versions and only look at 4x4 MT - the numbers are very different. And the Fortuner costs a chunky ~15% higher!

Endy: capable product, but too new in the SUV market. Apart from comments and experience of a 3.2L engine not packing enough grunt - the electronics as well as the SUV itself are yet to stand the test of time. And lineage and track record are the biggest points in an SUV.

Again, purely my views - different from the popular views going by the poll results. Thanks for reading! :-)
anshuman_v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 18:53   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

It would be nearer reality if we talked ON ROAD prices in the most expensive state in India, namely KA.
Not this "mealy mouthed" car magazine approach using the base price of the vehicles in question.
Frankly, to me, NONE of the choices shown here are truly worth what the Indian public is forced to pay for them, simply because of a lack of alternatives. Each of these vehicles are significantly cheaper even in our neighbouring countries. It is only here that they get away with such horrible un called for and undeserved Premium pricing! This is Profiteering to the Core and I won't consider paying such prices to buy the above vehicles.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 19:46   #43
BHPian

I've not driven any of these vehicles. But by going through various reviews/video reviews I’ve concluded the following

1. Toyota Fortuner: Very Reliable, New Kid, Cheap to maintain, Good Resale value
2. Ford Endeavour: Lots of reliabilities issues has been posted recently
3. Chevrolet Trailblazer: No 4x4, so out of contention
4. Pajero Sport: Getting too old
5. Hyundai Santa FE: Not as capable as Ford/Fortuner

Hence I've voted for Fortuner
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 21:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It would be nearer reality if we talked ON ROAD prices in the most expensive state in India, namely KA.
Not this "mealy mouthed" car magazine approach using the base price of the vehicles in question.
Frankly, to me, NONE of the choices shown here are truly worth what the Indian public is forced to pay for them, simply because of a lack of alternatives. Each of these vehicles are significantly cheaper even in our neighbouring countries. It is only here that they get away with such horrible un called for and undeserved Premium pricing! This is Profiteering to the Core and I won't consider paying such prices to buy the above vehicles.
Just wanted to share this information after seeing this post. The Price of Ford Endeavour a.k.a Everest Titanium in Australian is A$ 76,705 (INR 39L), In Malaysia for RM 255,888 ( INR 39L), In thailand for tbh 1599000 (INR 30L), In Philippines for P1,899,000 (INR 25L). So I wont see how we India are paying 'horrible, un called for and underserved pricing). It costed us Rs 36L (approximately) On Road Telangana and am assuming in KA it might be around 40L. What you are saying is absolutely true for the German Trio but not for the SUV in these markets, Just my opinion

Just to clarify, I have prices from the Ford websites in respective countries and have not accounted for further taxation (registration, local taxes..etc)
harsha.muvva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 21:46   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What you are saying is absolutely true for the German Trio but not for the SUV in these markets
FORD has priced Endeavour aka Everest very competitively in India. Everywhere else Fortuner is considerably cheaper than FORD unlike India.

But I will agree with
Quote:
NONE of the choices shown here are truly worth what the Indian public is forced to pay for them, simply because of a lack of alternatives
Have a look at what Toyota offers in Canada - check loadings on the Limited variant. At around 50,000 CAD it translates to about 25 Lac, even if we add 45 % towards Excise & Sales tax, one will realise how much Toyota makes up here. This has surely to do with limited competition. Things will change gradually once we start having more models. I hope Isuzu can dent a lot of Toyota sales if they are able to price new MU7 around 20 lac or so.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehi...erview-gallery
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks