Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Toyota Fortuner 173 29.73%
Ford Endeavour 378 64.95%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 3 0.52%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 24 4.12%
Hyundai Santa Fe 4 0.69%
Voters: 582. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2017, 01:59   #61
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Now in a big confusion. My head says TFort 4*2 or 4*4 (more inclined towards 4*2). My heart clearly longs for the Endy 3.2 despite the AT which I hate to the core.

Any suggestions?
I will suggest Endeavour over Fortuner not only because I own it but purely on the VFM factor.
You can easily compare them and apart from the resale value Fortuner stands no where.
Sunroof might not be of any use in hot weather but apart from that it makes interiors more lively. If you have kids they will surely love it. I usually keep the shade open and my 1.5 yr old kid enjoy the panoramic view while on rear seat.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 16:56   #62
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I have always been a great fan of the Toyota Fortuner and have always dreamt of owning one. With the 2017 launch, i thought i would wait for a couple of years and buy a 2 year driven Fortuner since the owner would take the initial depreciation hit. However, the 4*2 AT is priced on the higher side, i am not really sure due to budget constraints whether i will be in a position to own the new-gen Fortuner. At the same time, i came across a 2014 Fortuner with 65k on the odo in a pristine condition demanding around 20L. I have a budget of 22L. The downer is that its a 4-speed AT. Does it make sense for me to wait for few more years and buy the current gen Fortuner at a lower price ? or should i buy the previous gen Fortuner since the price of a used new gen Fortuner would definitely not come down to what my budget is.
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 08:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Hi Folks,

Does it make sense for me to wait for few more years and buy the current gen Fortuner at a lower price ? or should i buy the previous gen Fortuner since the price of a used new gen Fortuner would definitely not come down to what my budget is.

Hi,
Please avoid the 4-speed auto box at any cost. It surely is a big downer.

Regarding old vs new, if you don't mind the lack of creature comfort features or safety features like curtain and knee airbags, vsc etc then you can go for the old model.
Old 25th December 2017, 16:46   #64
BHPian

Well voted in favour of the fortuner, I bought it few months back after exchanging my decade old fortuner.
I agree it is pricey, agree it lacks on features and agree that toyota is charging a premium on accessories but still if you see the brand perception wise, resale value wise and the service costs wise, Fortuner wins hands down.
Sales numbers do show this.
No disrespect for Endeavour which will be my second choice but still fortuner rules this segment.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 18:57   #65
BHPian

After contemplating over a lot of cars to replace my 2010 Fortuner.
I have today bought a new Fortuner 4x4 AT.

Thanks for your help
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 10:05   #66
BHPian

After owning a 2 2 endeavour for almost an year, we are now considering another endeavour but 3.2 this time. We checked out the fortuner but it isn't 3ven close and there is no third option when it comes to butch SUVs.
Old 12th January 2018, 13:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terroris View Post
After owning a 2 2 endeavour for almost an year, we are now considering another endeavour but 3.2 this time. We checked out the fortuner but it isn't 3ven close and there is no third option when it comes to butch SUVs.
Which variant of 2.2 do you have? And any particular reasons for going for 3.2 over the 2.2?
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 14:52   #68

Hi all, I am in a big dilemma and need your guidance and advice. I was looking to buy an SUV in the ~25 lakh range with these objectives:

- value for money.
- awesome feel behind the wheel. you should want to love to drive it.
- usage will be around 12-15k kms/year.
- SUV driving experience. the height, the feeling etc. not necessarily 4*4 driving capacity. (bec i already have a good sedan and hatchback so only SUV this one.)

After research (thanks to all detailed reviews, reports etc. on t-bhp) and test drives finally short-listed:

1. Fortuner. Love the car; all checkboxes marked except money. my pick was the 4*2 MT 2.8L. On road ~33L
2. Crysta. love everything about the car expect it is a MUV and i felt not something you would want to drive to work everyday. but has all the right ingredeints to be seriously considered. confused which one is better 2.8L AT (26L) or 2.4L MT (24L). loved the feel of MT but AT is a better, more refined engine?
3. Compass. powerful, sleek, premium and modern looking diesel machine. 25L was the top end 4*2. seating was low and also read/heard some bad experiences from people about leakages, faulty parts etc.
4. MUX. 4*2 AT (27.5L) only automatic available and also old school average interiors and bit noisy engine. wasn't very impressed with their service too so ASS could be a factor later on but looks big value for money.

Ford endeavour (no manual avaialble) for the price of 4*2 AT (39L) is not an option i preferred and hence not on the list. Eagerly awaiting your responses and advises. thanks.
Old 13th January 2018, 16:08   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitj View Post
Ford endeavour (no manual avaialble) for the price of 4*2 AT (39L) is not an option i preferred and hence not on the list. Eagerly awaiting your responses and advises. thanks.
I think there is some confusion here. You can get Endeavour 2.2 AT in 31L and 35L for trend and titanium variants respectively. 3.2 AT titanium is the top model and is only available in 4*4 disguise. If you are fine with the 2.2 engine you can opt for 2.2 titanium which now comes with panoramic sunroof and few other added features.
If you do not want to stretch much then why not try Tata Hexa 4*2 or 4*4 it is surely more value for money.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 05:53   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Which variant of 2.2 do you have? And any particular reasons for going for 3.2 over the 2.2?
We have the titanium spec. The reason to avoiding the 2.2 is that it's not exciting enough to drive. Adequate is the word but the drive is surely not as engaging as one would like. The 3.2 has that kick in the back feel which the 2.2 lacks. IMHO 2.2 is suited for chauffeurs and 3.2 for self drivers.
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 13:20   #71
BHPian

Choosing a family car - need help!

Well, it has been a wonderful 10 years (touchwood) with our Skoda Octavia L&K and we are now thinking of moving on to a new car. However, requirements, expectations from a new car have changed with the times. Our experience with the Octavia has literally spoilt us when it comes to the dynamics, ride, handling to be expected from a car. Hence, I would like to get help from fellow BHPians.

My basic requirements from the new car as follows:
1. Has to be a family car capable of moving 5 adults and 1 child in comfort and safety.
2. A good boot is required, as we just love the Octavia for the humongous boot. An overhead carrier will also be installed in case of seven seaters.
3. We love the firm ride of the Octavia, and hence have no problems with a stiff suspension setup as well.
4. SUV/MPV/MUV is preferred, as this will most probably be the last car that my dad will enjoy driving over considerable distances, and he wants a high seating position and no problems with ground clearance, as it is a big worry with the older gen Octavia.
5. It will be a self-driven vehicle, hence has to have the fun-to-drive quotient.
6. A manual is very much the first preference, as we both (me and my dad) love manuals. However, a good auto-box can be considered as well.
7. The car has to have some degree of luxury as well. Budget can be stretched upto 35 Lacs.
8. Most importantly, we will keep the car for a good 8-10 years, hence has to be well-built and reliable. Also, it will be more of a highway machine as we already have a Nano for the city requirements.
9. We were fortunate enough to not have experienced any untoward service experience with our Octavia, but service costs and reliability also are of importance.
10. 4X4 is not a must-have, but is preferred. Order of preference for it is proper 4X4 with low range>AWD.

Now that I have listed the basic requirements (I hope that I have listed them clearly, but not in a specific order of preference), here is the list of vehicles that we have already taken a look at:

1. Isuzu MUX- pleasantly surprised with the vehicle. Has the size and space for sure, but I feel that the gearbox is a big letdown. It has the advantage of a fantastic 4X4 system and pricing as well, but with rumors of a facelift being launched soon, and the not so great gearbox, I am not really sure about it.
2. Isuzu V-cross- Very good choice as a lifestyle vehicle, but somehow the refinement leaves a lot to be desired after the cabin experience of the Octavia. Hence, not really taking this as a serious contender.
3. Toyota Fortuner - We were unable to get a TD of the manual and the dealer has promised to arrange a vehicle, but I have my doubts if he will. I haven't heard from him since the last 7 days. Now planning to contact the other Toyota dealers in Pune. It has most of the things that we are looking for, but the 4X4 is overshooting the budget by a good 4 lacs! Still, it is a serious contender atleast for me. Wife and dad not too keen about it due to the image associated with it in Western MH.
4. Volkswagen Tiguan- Amazing car. Slick shifting DSG (I have my reservations about its reliability though). Dealership is offering some discounts without me even opening that topic. Hence, I hope that some substantial discounts can be availed. But the seating capacity is an issue for this. Also, I am not sure about VW service experiences, since they seem too similar to Skoda dealer experiences.

Still, we are planning to check out the following vehicles:
1. Tata Hexa - for its amazing ride and space.
2. Toyota Innova- Good family vehicle.
3. Volvo XC 40 - Bit of a long shot. Has the same seating capacity issue.Only if we get some extreme discounts can we really consider it seriously.

Any other recommendations are more than welcome. If the expectations that I have listed down are too optimistic (I know that I cannot get all of them in 1 vehicle) please do not hesitate to share your views over the same

Also, please let me know what you think regarding waiting for 5-7 more months for new launches that might happen, as we are open to that as well!
Old 18th August 2018, 23:33   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Choosing a family car - need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSolEn View Post
My basic requirements from the new car as follows
Go ahead and test-drive the Ford Endeavour 3.2 & Skoda Kodiaq. Both of them are the segment best. One is a brute SUV, the other a sophisticated Crossover. You can't go wrong with either. Test-drive both, read our official reviews and choose based on whichever you like more.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 03:16   #73
Senior - BHPian

If you are okay with a 2WD, I'd pick the Innova Crysta 2.8. There are not too many cars with a comfortable second row. I'm not sure any of the crossovers might be able to satisfy your need for space. The Innova should be better to drive than the bulky Isuzus, Fortuner and Endeavour.

If 4WD is an absolute must, I'm sure the 3.2 L Ford Endeavour is better than the Fortuner. Nothing wrong with the latter, but the former is slightly better.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 09:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

The Ford endeavour is definitely the better one and value for money vehicle. The features and ride comfort are far better than Fortuner.
What you are paying for Fortuner and Toyota cars like Innova is a big premium, at least a few lakhs more. The service costs are very low but you have already paid a premium in the start. In case of Endeavour it is competitively priced and the services are very cheap for the beast. Please see online costs for service. Abroad where the market is different, the Endeavour or Everest is far more expensive than Fortuner and is compared to Land cruiser.
Ford India has also gone ahead with quality service and are very strict with their service centres. The Endeavour definitely wins the battle here.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 10:46   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSolEn View Post
My basic requirements from the new car as follows:
1. Has to be a family car capable of moving 5 adults and 1 child in comfort and safety.
4. SUV/MPV/MUV is preferred, as this will most probably be the last car that my dad will enjoy driving over considerable distances, and he wants a high seating position and no problems with ground clearance, as it is a big worry with the older gen Octavia.
5. It will be a self-driven vehicle, hence has to have the fun-to-drive quotient.
6. A manual is very much the first preference, as we both (me and my dad) love manuals. However, a good auto-box can be considered as well.
7. The car has to have some degree of luxury as well. Budget can be stretched upto 35 Lacs.
8. Most importantly, we will keep the car for a good 8-10 years, hence has to be well-built and reliable. Also, it will be more of a highway machine as we already have a Nano for the city requirements.

Also, please let me know what you think regarding waiting for 5-7 more months for new launches that might happen, as we are open to that as well!
You have listed a lot of requirements

I feel your best bet will be to stick with the likes of Kodiaq or VW Tiguan rather then Fortuner or Endeavour. Innova is a very comfortable, best choice if you are being chauffered mostly.

However, if you can wait as you have mentioned, the Honda CRV can be the one that should tick most of the boxes in my opinion.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th August 2018 at 10:49.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks