Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Tata Harrier 315 56.55%
Hyundai Creta 45 8.08%
Kia Seltos 107 19.21%
MG Hector 5 0.90%
Mahindra XUV500 10 1.80%
Jeep Compass 67 12.03%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 1.44%
Voters: 557. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2020, 10:20   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
I'd happily jump to the Innova ZX. Deal breaker for many I know is the lack of row seats. Anyone know if the ZX can be made available with a row seat, instead of the capt seats in Row2?
What are your thoughts on petrol ZX AT version? There's almost a different of 2.5 lacs (on-road) as compared to the Diesel variant. Regarding your second point, the dealer told me that some people use a temporary seat in between the 2 captain seats in the 2nd row for short drives, he mentioned that it doesn't come with a full back support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
As mentioned before, the City should fulfil your criteria very well, with the added bonus of the reliable Honda drivetrain. If you want something more spacious, get the Civic.

You haven’t said why (or did I miss it?) you have restricted yourself to SUV/MUV/Crossovers, does it have to be one of them? If yes, remember that they are priced (and taxed) higher than the equivalent sedan/hatch version, so it’s you who’ll have to bear the brunt of the cost.

Since you keep your cars for 10yrs +, I fully recommend you stick to Toyota or Honda because they make the most reliable vehicles compared to others. If it has to be a tall vehicle, get the Innova/CRV and buy used if the new car price is out of your reach. (Follow the tbhp used car checklist guidelines & get it thoroughly checked by your FNG/service centre)
I did try comparing the prices of sedans (Octavia, Civic, Corolla) with the proper sized SUVs like Harrier but the price seemed very similar to me. Don't think City/Rapid/Verna are comparable to the tall vehicles. Everywhere I have read people complaining about the low ground clearance of City and not so great highway manners. A tall vehicle (SUV/MUV/Crossover) always behaves better on uneven roads, and in some cases on the highways as compared to sedans. That's the primary reason for not very seriously considering sedans. I will lookout for a used CRV as well or everyone's favorite Endy.
Old 30th September 2020, 18:32   #107
BHPian

Voted for the Harrier!

It is simply the best looking and the one with the best road presence. The 2.0 version has everything sorted out with features to match the competition. It is also a good size bigger than some of the competitors and the one with better road manners too. Irrespective of the votes, the sales charts do suggest an exact opposite. Seltos and Creta continue to burn the charts while the Harrier struggles to keep up.

Last edited by Pashin : 30th September 2020 at 18:33. Reason: missed point
Old 30th September 2020, 19:01   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hunt for an automatic SUV/MUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags.singh View Post
1. Has to be automatic
2. Safety, safety, safety
3. Has to be much more spacious
4. Solid build quality
5. Good ride quality
6. Not too bothered about gizmos/bling features etc
7. Want to restrict my budget to 25 lacs
Although I had voted for the Harrier in earlier cases, this time it will be the Tuscon. Reason = It is a great car!
The Harrier is a Tata after all and with reports of issues even in the 2020 version by BHPian greyhound82, You'll be better off in a Tuscon. It's backed by a reliable manufacturer and being a CKD(?) is backed by the solid build quality. The Tuscon also gets 6 airbags + ABS + VSM + EBD + ESC + ISOFIX throughout the range which will tick off the criteria of safety even in the base variants. Although you might have to stretch your budget by 5L for the diesel and 7L for the petrol, I believe it's absolutely worth it.
However, if you are satisfied with Skoda A.S.S and or are willing to manage with it, the Karoq is a great option too!

Last edited by akash_v12 : 30th September 2020 at 19:05. Reason: Prices fixed :)
Old 30th September 2020, 23:37   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd voted for the Creta but they say the only vote that matters is the one you from your wallet! So...

We were looking for a car in the 15-20L segment to replace our ageing Swift, which was primarily driven by my wife. My own 2011 Vento AT is no spring chicken either, but it made sense to get rid of the older car.

This thread was a godsend because any car we buy now would have to be an automatic: my left knee just refuses to take the strain anymore except maybe on Sunday mornings!

The story so far...
Ideally I would migrate to a proper SUV in the Ford Endeavour or Toyota Fortuner mode and I did test drive a 1-year old specimen of the former up for sale in Pune some months ago. But the asking price of 32L still felt too steep for a car that had done 21,000 km already so head won over heart and I let it go. A visit to the Toyota showroom to check out the Fortuner 4x2 AT had the salesman trying to convince my wife that the Crysta AT was perhaps more saheb's style...leading me to hurriedly usher her out on some pretext lest he succeed in his efforts! The G AT at 21.x L on road in Pune was well within my budget but somehow I didn't want to be driving around town in a minivan- no offence to Crysta owners, it's a personal choice.

That left us with the options listed in this thread: Seltos, Creta, Harrier and Hector. The latter was eliminated first- buying anything so obviously Chinese in 2020 seemed like a dumb idea.

Tata Harrier AT:
I like the Harrier and were I buying it primarily for myself, would have gone for it in a heartbeat. The 2L Fiat engine making 170 horses, the Land Rover platform, the Hyundai AT gearbox all made it a decent proposition...and man...those looks! I think the Harrier looks great in white with those chocolate leather interiors, though some don't. Was warned by many about the niggles of owning a Tata but I may still have gone with it, despite it landing about 3L more expensive than the other two contenders Creta and Seltos.

Called Bafna Motors for a test drive and they very graciously offered me a 4 pm slot that Saturday. Called up half an hour before to confirm I was on my way and was told that the showroom was full and I should come some other time. Off-putting, but I appreciated their honesty and stayed away. The next day we happened to be driving past and decided to chance our luck. The SA told us that the car had been available for a TD the previous day but had now moved on to another dealership. Sharing a 20L test drive car among dealerships seems like a stupid idea but let's not get into that, because apparently everyone does it these days. They were good enough to give us an interior tour and a price list before we left, with a promise that the car would be sent to our place for a TD on a weekday when the demand was lighter.

That alas never happened. Forget a TD, they never even called back to enquire whether I was going to book. I treated it like the proverbial coin toss where you don't see Heads or Tails, just what you were wishing for... and out went the Harrier from contention.

Seltos vs Creta
I'll be honest here...for a long time the Creta was ahead by more than a nose...it was ahead by a whole panoramic sunroof! On paper it was a no contest: who wouldn't want that view in the back seat driving in the ghats towards Goa? Or to gaze at the starry sky when parked outside at night?

We took 2 test drives each of both vehicles, back to back, and realised more and more that the seemingly puffy features of the Seltos- 360 degree camera, front parking sensors, HUD- actually started making sense once you started using them. The best application of the 360 deg camera is IMO the blind spot turn view, which flashes the rear left or right camera view on the dashboard automatically when you switch the respective turn indicator on. In the Creta, you can just as easily switch on the reverse camera and get a similar view but the sheer utility of it in the Seltos makes you want it! Also my wife loved the front parking view with the camera and guiding lines.

To make matters worse for the Creta, we took the first test drive at noon when the sun was sizzling outside and the cabin interior heated up like a greenhouse! We gave it the benefit of the doubt that time, and returned with kids in tow- ah! the allure of that sunroof- but they didn't seem as impressed by it as we expected them to be. Did a final TD of the Seltos- at night to test the headlights- and the kids declared they loved it and the baby sunroof on the Kia was fine as well.

Not that it mattered in the end but the sales experience at Kia (Crystal Auto Baner) was significantly superior to that at Hyundai (Kundan Motors, Bavdhan). The SAs were more knowledgeable, didn't oversell and incredibly responsive to requests for test drives. They even came home at 10 minutes notice to complete the booking formalities and made us a fair offer on the Swift exchange which we ended up accepting.

I would still rate all the cars we considered very highly- there doesn't seem to be a dealbreaker feature among the top end AT variants at least- and would request anyone shopping in this segment to properly TD each car with family before making a choice. I feel most bad about the MG Hector- we didn't even end up taking a TD because it would just not translate into a sale.

Last edited by noopster : 30th September 2020 at 23:41.
noopster is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 15:17   #110
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags.singh View Post
Not Considered
  • XUV - Current model is very old and have grown tired of seeing it and a new model is expected to be launched in the next year. So no point buying a soon to be discontinued model. Always hated the boot space in the XUV, you can either use the 7 seats or 5 seats with the boot space.
The new XUV should be out in the first quarter next year. Can you wait till then or planning to finalize in 2020.

Source: https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...160895531.html
Quote:
Speaking to analysts in February 2020, Dr. Goenka was quoted saying that the launch of the new-generation Mahindra XUV500 “will happen in the fourth quarter of the next financial year, that means (the) first quarter of 2021 calendar year (January-March 2021)."
Old 1st October 2020, 18:51   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Although I had voted for the Harrier in earlier cases, this time it will be the Tuscon. Reason = It is a great car!
The Harrier is a Tata after all and with reports of issues even in the 2020 version by BHPian greyhound82, You'll be better off in a Tuscon

Although you might have to stretch your budget by 5L for the diesel and 7L for the petrol, I believe it's absolutely worth it.
However, if you are satisfied with Skoda A.S.S and or are willing to manage with it, the Karoq is a great option too!
You mean 7L for diesel and 5L for petrol? Yet to take a TD of the Tucson, so waiting for that before taking a decision. Unfortunately only the diesel variant is available for TD, have you driven the petrol variant? Also, how soon do you think the new version of Tucson will hit the Indian shores? Yet to get a TD of Karoq as well, maybe one day the dealership will bless us with the TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
[/list]The new XUV should be out in the first quarter next year. Can you wait till then or planning to finalize in 2020.
The requirement is becoming more and more urgent now so I doubt will be able to wait till Q1 of next year. Also, there's always a chance that the launch date may slip.
Old 6th October 2020, 17:05   #112

Hi All

Is this poll closed?
How do I vote?
After so much research, I have finally booked Seltos HTX D MT.
After going through this thread , I see Harrier is highly rated.

In fact I did not consider it in my list(Poor resale value for TATA stable,besides NVH & ASS)

So, I considered Creta, CITY 5G, besides Seltos which I finally opted and waiting for delivery. Somehow, look swayed my decision though my brain was saying Creta .(My wife felt easy ingress/egress in Seltos compared to Creta & Kids also liked Seltos).
I was strongly considering CITY but finally eliminated it from list after Seeing the rev limiter problem in Team BHP
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-lakhs-62.html

I did not TD Harrier at all as I heard it's steering and clutch are quite heavy/Hard. My 70% usage will be in City(Bangalore),but once in 3-4 months get into Highway driving.Somehow I see Harrier i shighly popular within BHP-ians!
In between, I somehow addicted to the torque of Diesel .( CIAZ ZDI+, Verna SX CRDI was my earlier possessions)
Any thoughts /Inputs on this decision?

Thanks and Regards
surechim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 20:17   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surechim View Post

I did not TD Harrier at all as I heard it's steering and clutch are quite heavy/Hard.
Would definitely recommend you to TD the automatic variant of the Harrier. You may still end up buying the Seltos but at least you'll know the positives/negatives and would have the satisfaction of making an informed decision. Personally I didn't find the steering to be hard (at low speeds) or sensitive (at high speeds).
rags.singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 00:34   #114

Okay, I have requested TD on Harrier this saturday..Will share my experience..In between, I still remember my old experience with Tata: My TD request for Tiago 4-5 years back. They took almost 45 days just for TD It had lot of good reviews during that time!By then I already decided --CIAZ!
Old 13th October 2020, 23:05   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Not that it mattered in the end but the sales experience at Kia (Crystal Auto Baner) was significantly superior to that at Hyundai (Kundan Motors, Bavdhan). The SAs were more knowledgeable, didn't oversell and incredibly responsive to requests for test drives. They even came home at 10 minutes notice to complete the booking formalities and made us a fair offer on the Swift exchange which we ended up accepting.
Hey i have booked the Seltos at Crystal kia as well. Did they give you an ETA on the delivery? I have booked mine on 22nd september. The staff has been quite professional so far but they clueless on when to expect a factory dispatch.
Old 14th October 2020, 11:31   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Hey i have booked the Seltos at Crystal kia as well. Did they give you an ETA on the delivery? I have booked mine on 22nd september. The staff has been quite professional so far but they clueless on when to expect a factory dispatch.
Nope, the booking receipt says 30-45 days and the SA made a vague promise of delivering it by Dassera (that’s just a week away now). Am following up every 2-3 days but no commitment yet.
Old 14th October 2020, 17:15   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

I test drove the hector, harrier and Seltos side by side.
Quality of interiors: hector
Cabin space: hector
Looks: Harrier
Boot: Harrier
Engine: Hector
Features: Hector
Price: Hector.

The Seltos is way too small when compared here, even if it is loaded to the top spec.
The harrier is way too overpriced for what's on offer, or maybe when seen in comparison to the hector. However, for sheer presence, the Harrier beats everything here. But for everything else, its the hector.
Old 14th October 2020, 18:32   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Quality of interiors: hector
Cabin space: hector
Looks: Harrier
Boot: Harrier
Engine: Hector
Features: Hector
Price: Hector.
Harrier have advantages in
1. Diesel Automatic
2. Riding dynamics

Last edited by greyhound82 : 14th October 2020 at 18:42.
Old 14th October 2020, 18:47   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Harrier have advantages in
1. Diesel Automatic
2. Riding dynamics
One, yep. Two, maybe. Thing is, having lived a more than capable sedan and an SUV, I've come to realize that for an average Joe traveling with his family or commuting to office, even if he's an out and out enthusiast, handling is not a deal breaker. However, I think you may be talking more from a comfort pov. I found both to be at par. The seltos reminded me of my old Tucson.
Second, having been burnt by the ngt, quite badly, I wouldn't touch a diesel In ncr with a two barge poles screwed together.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 13:14   #120
BHPian

Tata Sales staff are cashing in on this thread

A Sales Executive in Trivandrum has used a video mentioning this very thread as her Whatsapp Status. These staff usually share Promo videos and offers through their status updates.
Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others-screenshot_20201015130017.jpg

I've made a collection of all info that was shared in the video:
Tata Harrier Automatic vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs others-picsart_101501.04.27.jpg

Great to see manufacturers using customer voices in their promos (selectively ofcourse)
janakiram_m is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks