MG Hector 10 1.58%
Mahindra XUV500 15 2.38%
Volkswagen T-Roc 61 9.67%
Other (please specify in your post) 35 5.55%
Voters: 631. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2023, 19:53   #211
BANNED

Re: Which 16 Lac Car - Another Sedan or SUV ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead23 View Post
Hello BHPians - I am looking for advise on buying our second car in Aug/Sep.

- Kia Seltos'23 : During all the above confusion, Kia unveiled the upcoming facelift for Seltos which also ticks most of our criteria. Considering the pricing of current Seltos & Creta in mind , we expect the pricing of 1.5 HTX IVT & 1.5T HTX+iMT to be between 16 ~ 17 Lacs. Just to be ahead in the queue we have Pre-booked Seltos HTX+ iMT . We are not sure how would be the experience with iMT , looking forward for the Test Drive once they are open.
Since you already have a sedan. Kia Seltos would be the best option among the shortlisted options. Go for a test drive, and make your decision.
aseem23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 20:35   #212
BHPian

How much are you saving by going for the company lease?

Unless you are looking for a very short term ownership period, which I believe you are not given you are looking at the 10yr rule and have driven 175K on the Scross, going for an inferior car by limiting your budget when you can afford and want to spend more is not the wise thing.
anandhsub is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 22:09   #213
BHPian

Mostly daily city use - Automatic - Petrol - Convenience - Luggage space = Seltos IVT

Verna is rejected as you already have a great sedan. Parking and visibility is better in a shorter SUV.

VW Škoda twins is rejected for the lack of luggage space and a jerky slow speed city ride that’s a trademark DSG quality.

Alcazar is straight away rejected as it is MT.

Elevate is yet to come and to its prove its worth against the potent Seltos will take much more time.
CArspeed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 23:00   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians - I am looking for advise on buying our second car in Aug/Sep.

The budget is a constraint on Ex- Showroom price with very limited flexibility (50K ~ 70K), since it will be a purchase via company lease. Myself & Missus , both were certain for XUV700 AX5 AT 7S , however a change in the company car lease policy of no differential payment has brought us back to square one [Earlier an individual can pay the differential amount by self if the car is above the allocated corporate budget ]
I would suggest you can go for Creta SX IVT. It will cost you 18L OTR and you will get all the bells and whistles and fuss free ownership of Hyundai. The facelift is as it is going to be expensive and you will be getting a proper package. Plus the panaromic sunroof is a big thumbs up over the older seltos. Its a beautiful feature for road trips.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th July 2023 at 07:52. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please do not quote entire long posts as it inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank you.
ssoni.1411 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 06:18   #215
BANNED

Quote:
Cars considered :

- Hyundai Verna : We took a test drive of the Turbo DCT variant - as much as the engine performance and feature list impressed us , somehow we felt the interiors are not premium and seating wasn't comfortable as much as it has been in our Civic.

- Hyundai Alcazar Prestige MT : This has been a strong contender in our options right now, ticking almost all the boxes . And the last row can serve as an additional space in need . The only downside is that it is a proper Manual.

- Skoda Kushaq/Slavia 1.5 DSG : Though the Ex-S/R is out of our allocated budget but with the discounts offered and dealer readiness to show additional discount on invoice [ and settle balance payment in other ways]
this made to our list.

- Honda Elevate : Being an existing Honda owner and close association with Honda in past ; we have positive bias for the Brand. Honda's reliability and our experience makes it a strong contender and we are looking forward to see it in metal before making the final call.

- Kia Seltos'23 : During all the above confusion, Kia unveiled the upcoming facelift for Seltos which also ticks most of our criteria. Considering the pricing of current Seltos & Creta in mind , we expect the pricing of 1.5 HTX IVT & 1.5T HTX+iMT to be between 16 ~ 17 Lacs. Just to be ahead in the queue we have Pre-booked Seltos HTX+ iMT . We are not sure how would be the experience with iMT , looking forward for the Test Drive once they are open.
Hi @Motorhead23, hope you are and your family are doing good.

When you are buying a car for yourself to drive, it would be best if you follow your heart. But when you re buying for your family, going to head will be my choice. Since you are buying for your wife, and stated that you will travel occasionally with your newborn, it is best to buy a safe car. If you are looking in the SUV segment, I would suggest you the Taigun and Astor. Why the Taigun and not the Kushaq?

Taigun would be better than Kushaq due to having extra features like all-digital cluster, LED lights at the front, better styling and 10-inch screen.

Astor will be perfect for your scenario due to:
1) Perfect automatic car - AT/CVT.
2) Has ample space, both at front and rear.
3) Safety - 5 star NCAP, 6 airbags, ADAS, ESC.
4) Good seating.
5) Petrol vehicle, so reliable to an extent.

Taigun will be perfect for you due to:
1) Power on offer is insane.
2) Not spacious at rear seat, but manageable.
3) Safety - 5 star NCAP, 6 airbags, ESC.
4) Amazing styling.

If you are going to sedans, go for the City or the Virtus. Virtus over the Slavia due to mentioned features of Taigun over Kushaq.

Hope this helps!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 07:12   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgastor2022grey View Post

Astor will be perfect for your scenario due to:
1) Perfect automatic car - AT/CVT.
2) Has ample space, both at front and rear.
3) Safety - 5 star NCAP, 6 airbags, ADAS, ESC.
4) Good seating.
5) Petrol vehicle, so reliable to an extent.

!
Don’t think India model Astor is NCAP tested yet.
Old 20th July 2023, 07:46   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
iMT is super convenient to drive but just remember that the experience in first gear is lethargic (based on my frequent driving of my colleague’s Sonet iMT HTK+ turbo). After a few days, that won’t be an issue and you won’t notice that lag.

Seltos is seemingly the best option for you. It has all the features that fufill your mentioned requirements. Since you have pre booked it already, you will most probably get it in time too (Aug/Sept).

Lastly, after driving the Civic, I doubt if you will love smaller sedans for your highway trips. And as others have mentioned, you can benefit from a crossover/ SUV since you already have a sedan so the crossover would take care of the GC requirements part well.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 10:30   #218
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs Jeep Compass vs others

Sedans are any day more comfortable than SUV/MUV and the only factor which hinders is the GC of many of them. I recently sat in a skoda slavia of my friend for a drive from Bangalore to a place 200 kms away. It was a small town with two lane highway and jumbo speed breakers of all sizes and shapes in rural areas. Not even once the car scraped and negotiated all of them with ease. Thus you can go for it in case you prefer sedans but worried about ground clearance. It anyway offers all the advantages of a german car with fantastic gearbox, solid build quality and good driving dynamics.
autobahnjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 12:03   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda Kushaq/Slavia 1.5 DSG : Though the Ex-S/R is out of our allocated budget but with the discounts offered and dealer readiness to show additional discount on invoice [ and settle balance payment in other ways]
this made to our list.
I would also suggest to look at VW Taigun / Virtus. The sedan twins are amazing vehicles. With good GC, superb driving dynamics, and competent engines, you won't miss the SUVs.

Last edited by sanjayrozario : 20th July 2023 at 12:05.
sanjayrozario is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 12:11   #220
BHPian

Quote:

Second Car Use Case :
- Should be a petrol only due to 10 year NCR Rule / NGT GRAP Action plan banning diesel vehicles anytime etc.
- It would be a replacement of our S-Cross which we sold after 175K of niggle free ownership.
- Missus would be mostly driving for her office commute [Automatic is preferred & convenient]
- Road Trips that we intend to take with our new born - sufficient space to tuck in Baby Car Seat / Stroller / Luggages etc.
It is easier to tuck in a baby on the child seat on a crossover/SUV given the seat itself is at a higher position, do consider this aspect when you finalize. Among the shortlist you have mentioned I would go for the VW twins with 1.5 TSI or the Honda Elevate for following reasons

- VW Twins have a good safety rating and will be in your budget considering there are mid spec variants of 1.5 TSI DSG that have been introduced recently, these are very enjoyable to drive and are effortless performers, on the flip side long term reliability of DSGs remain a concern and some cost cutting on the MQB A0 IN platform that does not add to the feel good factor (noisy power window motors, below average stiching on the seat edges etc.)

- Honda Elevate is a reliable option and looks like a well conceived product from what I have read and seen in pictures, only issue here is that it will be a bit boring to drive with its naturally aspirated 1.5 motor and the CVT gearbox

Good luck with the hunt
abaliga is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 12:25   #221
RDS
BHPian

Voted for Other - Honda Elevate for reliability and fuss-free ownership. One vehicle, manufacturer, and engine I can trust, irrespective of the location.

I am assuming Structural safety would be better than Hyundai and Kia, as is in the case of City. I have first-hand examples in my known circles where Honda fares much better in case of accidents. This includes an accident where Hyundai Venue suffered in a major accident (one person dead, another severely injured), and Honda city at 100KMPH + protected a fathor and son, nothing major.

Of course, there are Tatas/Mahindras that I would like to recommend, but I cannot recommend them till I see them providing fuss-free ownership experience.

I am not sure how some people mention Hyundai, Kias, and Marutis as safe sometimes whereas usually NCAP and real-world results are opposite.
RDS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 17:48   #222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Don’t think India model Astor is NCAP tested yet.
The Indian-based ZS EV is tested and has received 5 star rating in NCAP. Mg has claimed that the Astor and the ZS are same platform vehicles, with only the powertrain being the difference.

There might be few cosmetic changes to the vehicle, but that adds little or no value.

Also, being an Astor owner, I know that the car feels rigid and has a solid 'thud' when shut.

Hence proved!
mgastor2022grey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 18:07   #223
BHPian

I need some serious help, my fellow members!!!

My head is spinning. I am tired of thinking. Simple math is now simply beyond my understanding. And logic as just shattered my window panes and gone for a stroll!! I need help.

Guys, I have three cars: 1. 19/12/2019 purchased Kia Seltos GTX+ diesel Auto
2. 02/11/2022 Purchased Skoda Slavia Active
3. 05/05/2014 Purchased Wagon- R ( I have now Shifted this at my farm house and serves me well there)

I am a businessman who heads a Systems Integration Company in Mumbai. When I purchased my Seltos in 2019, it was a hasty decision as I had to undergo a surgery on my left knee to remove a lump (sizeable. Read: 8.6cms x 6 cms x 4.8 cms) from there. Doctors advised beforehand not to drive (Read: Manual) for three odd months once I get operated. This prompted me to sell my 2012 Hyundai Verna diesel SX(o) driven 1,70,000 kms till then and straight in got this Kia Seltos (Someone's cancellation) in just a couple of days. I had it pre-booked but had to compromise on color and get the cancellation car due to medical emergency.

Loved the car. The overall buying experience and now driving it for three and half years. The ownership being mostly fuss-free and the extensive features have pampered me all these years. The car is driven for 48,000 kms and with maximum of depreciation claimed and interest converted into cost till last year (as I did a pre-closure), there are not many sops remaining now. Mind you, I am not a real-estate guy and I prefer my money being in flexible instruments than in real-estate. This hinted me to look for a replacement for my Kia Seltos. I am one impulsive seller and buyer. Hence, in just two days I could negotiate a deal with OLX Auto and a local dealer. I am offered 14.7 lakhs after all commissions and service charges deducted. My original purchase inclusive of extended warranty was 20.62 lakhs. I thought, till this point I am getting a reasonably good deal as the facelift Seltos will launch and dampen the older Selto's demand and can prompt a price correction.

But here is where I have lost it. I need a a diesel only- automatic car/SUV. I do not have a fixed budget but will refrain from going inordinate. So here I start: I have made some decent progress in life so let me reward myself with one segment higher car. Checked following cars:

1. Citroen C5 Aircross: Pros: Good Looking. Decently built. Supreme ride comfort. Good Diesel engine and gear box.
Cons: Unknown Service and maintenance hassles, way over-priced, missing features like: Ventilated seats and 360 degree camera, and your money will not have any value when you will decide to sell it.

2. Hyundai Tucson: Ticks most of the boxes in terms of engine and gearbox, decent ride, comfort and features but 40+ lakhs OTR and no badge value. I feel your aspiration takes some hit and will only consider if they offer at least 5 lakhs discount, I felt its that over-priced.

3. Jeep Meridian: I am not sure of Jeep's future in India and that scares me a bit. Engine performance is mediocre and resale value will be bad as well. Not yet a serious contender.

Frustration till now: You are ready to spend 30-40 lakhs and if one car has this, other has got that (I am a Kia Spoilt customer). These cars/suvs do not exactly offer me what I am looking for. They made me enter Toyota showroom and they further pile up my woes.

1. Toyota Fortuner: 47+ OTR and what you primarily get is assured resale value, road presence, good size engine, overall peace of mind. But the ride is not comfortable for that price. Felt the interiors lacked space, are not premium and I feel the climb up will not be appreciated by my family members. The car does feel over-priced and a maximum discount on offer is 1.5 lakhs.

2. Toyota Hycross (Considered because of hybrid): Insane waiting period. 24 months is what I have been told and that too for mid-variants. No bookings accepted for top-end as they are yet to clear pre-booked vehicles is what I heard And 24- months. Who waits for such long period??

Toyota made me fell dizzy yesterday. Head started spinning. Definitely missed Ford Endeavour today. That SUV would have been my top- contender. I had checked my friends' Mercedes A- Limousine. It does not feel a regular Merc but feels more like a compromised Merc at OTR 53 lakhs. And then if a look further, I feel budget would have not stopping then. Now here is the main frustrating bit. The cars have got costly and yes partly because of our insane tax structure but I felt that these manufacturers are also not being fair either. The real question is and this is what I felt: Does our hard-earned money got any value?

I tend to sweat a lot hence I feel ventilated seats is a must especially when it is hot out. Similarly 360 degree feature in SUVs really help. You look a Toyota's 360 degree and you feel like Toyota does not take its customers seriously when it comes to features. They are like, if everyone is offering, we are offering it as well, but do not ask for quality. Don't be too demanding.

Now suddenly what I have started feeling is that, these cars in the price bracket of 10-25 lakhs OTR make so much sense. My eight month old Skoda Slavia which is decently equipped for a base model is worth Rs. 12.72 lakhs that I paid. Similarly, my Rs. 20.62 lakhs 3 and half year old Kia Seltos is luxury on wheels (compromising safety is not expected and should be criticised) when I look around at other cars. But, aren't we Indians deserving of some global cars with good safety and features and globally competitive price? Is it wrong to aspire and at the same time think about value for money preposition? Are we being unfair in demanding certain things or are we being taken for granted? Which Car or what budget shall I have? or Shall I not sell my Seltos and be happy with what I have (that has certainly started making sense) but aspirations and dreams, what about them? Guys, my head is still spinning and I certainly need some help!

Regards,
akshaysawant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 20:17   #224
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaysawant View Post

My head is spinning. I am tired of thinking. Simple math is now simply beyond my understanding. And logic as just shattered my window panes and gone for a stroll!! I need help.
Hello, With this budget, I would suggest Tucson. I bought Tucson Diesel AWD Signature two months back and now I think I made the right choice. If you negotiate, there are some discounts too, but being a CKD and Hyundai global best seller, it ticks all the boxes. Every car seems overpriced these days, and no car is perfect. Tucson will give you good mileage, a super refined engine, segment-best features, and reliable ASS. Fortuner is undoubtedly overpriced for what it offers.

Yes, we do deserve global cars. In international markets, you can find several Tucson variants available too with a lot of accessories to choose from and interior seat color customize options. Palisade, Sante Fe, Kia Sportage, Toyota RAV4, etc are some good options in the global market, but due to high taxes we might never see them in India.
aseem23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 22:36   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaysawant View Post

My advice would be listen to your heart. You only live once. From the current shortlisted vehicles, I would say go with the Hyundai Tucson. It has all the bells and whistles, has credible road presence and comes with the trusted Hyundai badge.

You can even go with the 2023 Tata Harrier/Safari Red Dark Edition. The top model has all the features(360 cam, ADAS, etc.) you need and it's one handsome car. The only downside is TATA's ASS is a hit or a miss.

Jeep and Citroen are struggling to stay afloat in the Indian market and I would suggest you look elsewhere.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st July 2023 at 07:42. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please quote only the relevant bits from a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
ssoni.1411 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks