Mahindra XUV500 15 2.38%
Volkswagen T-Roc 61 9.68%
Other (please specify in your post) 35 5.56%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2021, 18:31   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs Jeep Compass vs others

I voted for my own Creta, but come to think of it, if 2 airbags and ESP are a minimum criteria, why not include the Duster and Kicks in the main conversation? Yes the ICE (Duster) feels outdated and some feel good features are missing but a CVT Duster or manual top end Kicks would be as enjoyable, probably more than a Kushaq for performance , comfort , reliability and ruggedness isnt it?
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 18:53   #62
BHPian

M choice he compass for its manual and go anywhere capability. if the kushaq had an offroad package it would have become my first
Old 15th July 2021, 20:04   #63
BHPian

Voted for the Harrier.

Reason: As much as I hate Tata for not upping its QC game, they are spot on with the powertrain combo for this car. The creamy MJD with a decent 6AT - I find this to be a car which is VFM. Not to forget- it looks dope and has presence which is something I look for after shelling 20 lakhs plus.

Last edited by The Riddler : 15th July 2021 at 20:06.
The Riddler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 21:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Creta, owned by me. Overall, it ticks all the marks with respect to space, looks, space, features, interiors.

Kia Seltos is better in looks, but lose out on features, ride quality and service network compared to Creta.

Kushaq - I admire the driving dynamics, looks and build quality of Skoda. but it lost big time in providing the basics with respect to value luxury that Skoda advocates. Basis features like good quality rear view camera, electronic parking brake, auto hold are missed out. Missing 6 airbags on top end automatic is a serious lapse from Skoda. The interior quality is not typical Skoda. The rear with and height make it impractical as a single family car, especially for long drives.

Harrier - I like the looks, space and the package. But the number of issues reported on the forums is the deal breaker.

Compass/ Hector - They are yet to be proven in Indian market. Compass is a great product, but the service network, resale value and long term commitment of the brand are unknown.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 15th July 2021 at 21:15.
Old 15th July 2021, 23:50   #65
BHPian

Voted others. I'd pick the S Cross over all these for the sheer value and the bullet proof reliability that it comes with. Especially with the 1.5L NA petrol, things have gotten much better.
A no-nonsense car with a decent engine, adequate grunt on offer and an old yet super reliable AT, this car isn't complicated like the feature loaded Koreans.

In terms of pricing, almost all the options on the poll have base automatic gearbox prices starting at over 17L OTR Bangalore. The SCross can be had within 15.5L and the premium on the
others aren't justified..

To put into perspective, the Seltos IVT is 18L, the Kushaq 1.0 TSI is 17.8L, Creta IVT at 19L, Jeep over 25-30 big ones, the TRoc and Karoq being close to 30L as well. None of these seem to have justified pricing. (All Bangalore OTR prices)

I'd personally prefer to sticking to a car that is mechanically reliable and does not fail me over a period of time. I'm looking at ownership purely from this point of view.
advenk999 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 11:50   #66
BHPian

My first choice XUV 500 and second choice Skoda Kushaq.

I am using Skoda Rapid TDI DSG for last 5 years and pleasure of driving that car is unmatched. Yes there are one or two pain days but remaining time has been bliss, touchwood.

XUV 500 because by now its got very sorted and has minimal problems for Mahindra product. Lot of features are there and it still looks very good. Yes interiors are bit dated but so what one can always change up. Also I never understand people saying its a old product so dont buy. Most brands in world are old, Polo has been around for decades etc. XUV 500 has got modified with times and that is fine.

Jeep Compass AT is pathetic else that could be considered. For MT runner-up nomination.
Old 16th July 2021, 13:09   #67
BHPian

On some more thought, I would actually pick Sonet (Diesel AT) over Kushaq. Sure, it is lower on interior space, but looks nearly as big on the road, would be equally fun to drive (lower weight and 115 PS CRDi from 2 segments above) and still more equipment. The reliability of the Diesel TC combo and the money saved would be icing on the cake.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 14:09   #68
BHPian

The only reason I would pick a crossover or CSUV is for highway duty, should I want to do a major roadtrip.

Quite disappointed that the S-Cross is not an option. IMO the best all rounder crossover, and my car of choice that's easy to drive in the city, and is capable of doing an all-India road trip.

Pros:
- low cost of maintenance
- great fuel economy (which matters when racking up km on the highway)
- comfortable seating for 5
- enough luggage can be stacked vertically
- extremely reliable. It just will not break down or leave you stranded ever. And even if it does, Maruti's excellent ASS has you covered.
- sedan like driving dynamics. Extremely stable at high speed

Cons:
- no diesel option anymore
- more power would be nice. Shame they discontinued the 1.6 ddis

Should Maruti bring back their 1.5 diesel in BS6 form, the choice would be a no-brainer.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 14:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

If I were in the market for a crossover/uv in the 12 to 20 lac range, I would probably go for the XL6 Alpha AT - which would give me all the creature comforts, space, convenience and ASS that I need plus save me 3 lacs or so.
So voted for others.
Old 16th July 2021, 15:13   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
On some more thought, I would actually pick Sonet (Diesel AT) over Kushaq. Sure, it is lower on interior space, but looks nearly as big on the road, would be equally fun to drive (lower weight and 115 PS CRDi from 2 segments above) and still more equipment. The reliability of the Diesel TC combo and the money saved would be icing on the cake.
I also think this comparison is worth considering. Sonet gives you a 4 cylinder diesel engine with more torque, and other features and dimensions are largely similar in both the cars.
sidhnik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 15:37   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhnik View Post
I also think this comparison is worth considering. Sonet gives you a 4 cylinder diesel engine with more torque, and other features and dimensions are largely similar in both the cars.
But wouldnt that comparison hold true for Seltos and Creta too as they share the same diesel engine and even the dimensions are not much different.
Old 16th July 2021, 16:38   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
But wouldnt that comparison hold true for Seltos and Creta too as they share the same diesel engine and even the dimensions are not much different.
True, but comparison with Sonet becomes relevant because of the cost difference (whereas not much difference on paper in other respects other than marginal difference in size).
Old 16th July 2021, 17:02   #73
BHPian

Voted Other.

Waited... Waited and waited even more for Kushaq to lay its cards on the table. Then waited again for the pricing. And then waited a little more for the availability of a TD vehicle.

I have owned a Honda City - gen 3 since Dec. 2011 and it has been the most stress-free ownership experience of all the vehicles I have owned. There is something that the Japanese companies know as far as the quality of ownership goes.

Criteria for the new car was to have a little more power on tap, to have a reliable AT gearbox, to have the best possible safety for the buck.

Had made up my mind to get a Kushaq AT if the price was right.

Drove a Kushaq AT with the 1.0 L tsi engine and found the experience to be decent. Drove the Kicks 1.3 Turbo right after that drive and it blew me away!
I can honestly compare only the 1.0 Tsi AT with the Kicks 1.3 CVT due to the pricing chosen by Skoda. (The kicks XV Premium Turbo CVT is still cheaper and somehow Skoda decided to omit the side and curtain airbags from the AT bringing both vehicles on similar footing)

Criteria Scorecard -
More Power - Check
Reliable Gearbox - CVT v/s DQ200 historically - check
Safety Kit - ABS, EBD, 2 - airbags, BA, Hill Start Assist, ESC, Traction Control, VDC, Cruise Control, 210mm Ground Clearance, iSPVT, Graphene Body Structure with multiple crumple zones etc.. - Check
Japanese - Check

The Kushaq looks better, the doors feel heavier, the DSG will most probably be more exciting to drive than the Kicks. But I felt I have waited enough. I can't expect the Taigun to undercut the Kushaq with more kit as is being reported (Digital Cockpit). I am not a fan of stretched-out staggered launches. I understand I might end up looking like a fool if we get a better product from the VW stable, but that is a risk I am willing to take.

So I ended up booking a Kicks turbo this month. The car landed in the stockyard yesterday and am expecting it to be delivered early next week. Thanks for bearing with me through this rant.

Skoda Kushaq vs Hyundai Creta vs Kia Seltos vs Jeep Compass vs others-whatsapp-image-20210713-5.56.05-pm.jpeg
prafulasher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 17:17   #74
BHPian

The AT gearbox in 1.0 TSI from Skoda/VW is a torque converter unit, supplied by Aisin. It is not the Dual clutch DQ200
Old 16th July 2021, 19:17   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr001 View Post
The AT gearbox in 1.0 TSI from Skoda/VW is a torque converter unit, supplied by Aisin. It is not the Dual clutch DQ200
I know that. And my original plan was to get the Kushaq DSG. To be honest, I can't compare the 1.5 DSG to the Kicks as a 4 Lac + on-road warrants a separate segment IMHO.

Most Viewed