MG Hector Plus 22 3.52%
Other (please specify in your post) 14 2.24%
Voters: 625. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2022, 03:46   #106
BHPian

Re: TATA HARRIER CONS DISCUSSED

Hello Team-BHP Members,

This is my first post in the community and I'm a newbie here.

I have booked the TATA HARRIER XZA+ DARK and currently awaiting delivery for the same, tentatively this April.

Mahindra XUV700 vs Tata Safari vs Toyota Innova Crysta vs others-img_4238.jpg

I had done the test drive twice deliberately as I believe while buying a car, the first test drive a potential buyer takes of the car is simply not enough to make a decision; the first time the buyer sits in the car they just understand the car they just cannot come to a conclusion as there are plenty of cons hidden which one can only decode after a calm second look. However, this may not be true every time as a car can be extremely good and be a "love at first sight" or it can be the rather opposite and one could completely scrap the idea of considering that car at once.

Anyways, getting to the point, I just loved the way the Harrier drove, felt robust, had a very nice pull and it definitely felt like a car with superior driving dynamics at least in SUV standards. Also, the looks of the Dark Edition flattered me and I was sold. Also was even more satisfied the second time I took it for a ride. The Sport Mode just goes bonkers with the performance.

Booked the car right away after the second drive.

Few Concerns:
1. As of now I'm quite skeptical about the final quality of the car in terms of fit and finish and also reliability-wise, as this is the first time I'm going for a TATA CAR.

2. Also I've heard TATA is giving only 1 Remote Key with the car due to chip shortage.Is this true?

3. The Harrier doesn’t get ALL 4 DISCS, Is it a deal-breaker when compared to the braking performance of other SUVs with ALL 4 DISCS?

4. The Harrier also doesn’t get TPMS, like what are you doing TATA?!?!. Any options to get this feature as Safari gets it. I just don’t like AFTERMARKET accessories due to poor fit, finish, and generic quality.

5. The infotainment in the Harrier is often addressed as slow and laggy, is it really such a big issue?

6. Apple Car Play doesn’t utilize the whole display, any OTA coming in near future?

7. Rear Camera quality seems to be low VGA type, any options to better up this as well?

Also if anyone wondering why I didn't consider XUV700, I did. It was my first bet, but the delivery period is in light years so XD.

I know as a newbie in this place, I'm asking lots of questions but hey, this is why I joined TEAM-BHP's helpful community in the first place.

Cheers,
bil.007
bil.007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 21:23   #107
BHPian

Suitable option within 25 lac

Dear BHPians,

After reading this post you’ll realize how confused I’m while selecting my next car. Next car purchase will be after late this year or early next year. Due to current wait period on high sellers, I think it’s prudent to decide now & get it booked. However, if mod’s feel I’m planning way before, please delete this post.

Let’s start with current ride - Grand i10 Magna Auto 2017. I sold off my Honda City Petrol Manual last year as usage was very less owing to WFH situation. Since it was getting old and I needed just 1 push to sell it to make way for new car. Except rusting on almost all part, there was no trouble with car. It was mechanically tight, rattle free.

About us –

We are a family of 6. (Parents, Wife, Myself and 2 kids - 11 yr boy & 5 yr girl). Reason for 7-seater is not because of us, but because of road trips that we do with extended family. Every year 2 road trips are given, so 7-seater is required and does it help in trimming the options, i guess not. Read on.

Requirements –

1. Budget – 25 lac (Can extend max by 5%)

2. Preference is Automatic, with decent fuel efficiency. Plus wife can also drive.

3. Being from Delhi, everyone suggests Petrol because of 10 year rule, but I have an option to get car registered in Gurgaon, Haryana. Yes, I understand I can use it for only 10 years and will then have to sell, but my experience says selling Haryana diesel vehicle is easier than Delhi registered and less trouble.

4. Given, my last ride Honda City 2011 & Grand i10 Auto Manga did not had fancy features, I prefer gadgets & all fancy features this time. However, there is no substitute for reliability (Hang on Crysta lovers). Safety and then fill & forget is top on list, followed by features.

5. New or Pre-owned both will do. Conditions for Pre-owned – Not older than 2 years & less than 30K driven.

6. Last but not least, I love to drive. I'm not an enthusiast driver but a sedate one. On all our road trips, it's me who does majority.

Options –

1. Toyota Crysta – If you’re looking for 7-seater, It’s hard to ignore this car. I like this car, but then there are handful of reasons why I’m looking outside. Firstly, I don’t like G variant. It's too barebones. So I’m left with only Z variant, as V variant does not come in Automatic. Only concern with Crysta is fuel efficiency. I've heard with Auto it's single digit. Given Z variant is out of my budget, I’m ok with Pre-Owned and then i've another concern. Only 10 years in total, so if i go with my list, i'll be left with 8 years only. and while searching on Olx, it seems it will be hard. Does anyone suggest new Petrol Auto ?

2. Xuv700 – I’ve indeed booked this car (White AX7 Diesel AT), as I know I won’t get it anytime soon. As per app, current delivery time is Feb 2024 (Yes, 2024), but basis my interaction with Sales Agent, I get a sense I would get it around Mar 2023 (Hopeful) . In Diesel fuel efficiency is good and I get all fancy features but my only concern with this car is Reliability & rattles. I did not had a single rattle in Honda city even after 10 years and that’s what I want. If that is sorted, I'm ok with this one.

3. Hyundai Alcazar – Somehow I’m unable to connect with this car. I don’t know why but I don’t like the way it looks. And hence did not pursued further. No offence to existing owners. Looks might grow on me, but that’s what I feel today.

4. Kia Carens – Same as Alcazar with better interiors. So, no go.

5. Tata Safari – I’m too scared to take plunge on Safari, given we had Indica episode. I know it’s almost 20 years & things have changed, but I think it will be hard to convince parents. So did not check it till now.

Then there are other options like Fortuner, Upcoming Meridian, Kia Carnival but all above my budget. But next time, I promise (Amen).

Now let’s add confusions

Given 7-seater is only required for trips (almost 3 weeks in year), my friends suggests me to buy 5 seater only and use Taxi / Zoom car etc for that purpose, but when trip happens, these options goes for toss. Plus i feel it's been long we had trips in other family members cars. Now it's our turn. But, if i go for 5 seater, there are multiple options open up -

1. Creta – Yes, I like Creta & not Alcazar.
2. Seltos
3. MG Hector

I can go pre-owned route with these 3 & can save some money. (That will go in equity)

Or If i decide on EV (Nexon or ZS EV) it will remain City only car for now.

So, you see I’m all over the place. I’m more confused than anyone, not sure which one is the right choice & that’s why I need help.
woodstock3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 23:23   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suitable option within 25 lac

You're based in Delhi, where there are some good options for self-drive : fortuner, endeavour, and even the Germans!

If you are open to splurging on these vehicles for your highway trips along with any other issue such self drive options bring with them then it would be worthwhile considering 5 seater vehicles such as the Tucson, Jeep Compass diesel, etc. if you want an SUV; or the Octavia (may require a stretch but I remember a member picking up the style variant for some 28.5L on road Mumbai with higher road tax than HR).

I'd skip the Korean twins (creta and seltos) as they may not meet your requirement for safety thus helping narrow down your shortlist further.

Now, if the 7 seater requirement is non-negotiable, I would strongly recommend the XUV700 in hopes the niggles are addressed, or the Hector Plus.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 06:48   #109

I would strongly recommend you the MG Hector or Hector plus. The cars feel from a segment above with their excellent quality of materials and fit+finish.
The standard 5 seater has incredible space while the hector plus is easily the more comfortable car in its class. Haven’t met a single MG owner dissatisfied with their car. MG service is also top notch. The CVT version is pretty easy to drive in traffic too.
Old 29th April 2022, 07:35   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Given your budget, the best car you can buy is the Skoda Octavia. No two ways about that. Of course, that limits you to 5 seats. If you want to seat 7 people, pls understand that you’ll either seat the extra 2 in the back, or put in the luggage. You can’t have both (7 people + their luggage). It is a compromise. Within your budget, the Kia Carens is the 7 seated to go for. Get the turbo diesel and enjoy 8 years of no tension and efficient family motoring.

I will not recommend Innova Crysta, I find it overpriced and overrated. Yes it is reliable. But do you plan on using it for 2lakh km+ to make that count?
Old 29th April 2022, 18:03   #111
BHPian

Re: TATA HARRIER CONS DISCUSSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil.007 View Post
Few Concerns:
1. As of now I'm quite skeptical about the final quality of the car in terms of fit and finish and also reliability-wise, as this is the first time I'm going for a TATA CAR.
2. Also I've heard TATA is giving only 1 Remote Key with the car due to chip shortage.Is this true?
3. The Harrier doesn’t get ALL 4 DISCS, Is it a deal-breaker when compared to the braking performance of other SUVs with ALL 4 DISCS?
4. The Harrier also doesn’t get TPMS, like what are you doing TATA?!?!. Any options to get this feature as Safari gets it. I just don’t like AFTERMARKET accessories due to poor fit, finish, and generic quality.
5. The infotainment in the Harrier is often addressed as slow and laggy, is it really such a big issue?
6. Apple Car Play doesn’t utilize the whole display, any OTA coming in near future?
7. Rear Camera quality seems to be low VGA type, any options to better up this as well?
1. Tata is again light years away in terms of fit & finish, reliability, infotainment issues, and after sales experience. Especially even after 3 years of launching this product which is supposed to be the flagship product for Tata.
2. This is purely due to chip shortage and so not to worry.
3. No significant difference in terms of braking performance compared to its competition. And it's absolutely not a deal breaker.
4. You may want to check with the dealer about the fitment of the OE product. Otherwise, easy and simple alternative is look out in the aftermarket where you have good quality ones as well (you need to hunt for it).
5. As mentioned in 1, infotainment niggles are a given. Tata is still unable to fix it after 3 years of poor market feedback. Absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable from Tata.
6. This is the maximum full display you will get. No OTA will be able to fix it unless there is an upgrade in the whole system including physical features.
7. The only option is to check in the aftermarket. The problem is the compatibility. An after market high quality rear camera most likely may not be compatible with the infotainment.

As I always say - Harrier is a right product in the wrong hands.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 21:27   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
You're based in Delhi, where there are some good options for self-drive : fortuner, endeavour, and even the Germans!
After posting my query, i thought a little more on why Self-drive not considered. One because i have only used it for within city & 2nd our trips are either last minute, or unplanned. So at times even vehicle of choice was not available. However, given i have 6-8 months with me before purchase, let me try it once more time and make a decision. Thank you for suggesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I'd skip the Korean twins (creta and seltos) as they may not meet your requirement for safety thus helping narrow down your shortlist further.

Now, if the 7 seater requirement is non-negotiable, I would strongly recommend the XUV700 in hopes the niggles are addressed, or the Hector Plus.
Hector is not considered because of unavailability of Diesel Auto. and Good point raised on Korean Twins. This brings me back on 7-seater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod11 View Post
I would strongly recommend you the MG Hector or Hector plus. The cars feel from a segment above with their excellent quality of materials and fit+finish.
Totally agree , but considering Automatic only comes in Petrol and with low mileage i want to stay away from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Given your budget, the best car you can buy is the Skoda Octavia. No two ways about that. Of course, that limits you to 5 seats. If you want to seat 7 people, pls understand that you’ll either seat the extra 2 in the back, or put in the luggage. You can’t have both (7 people + their luggage). It is a compromise. Within your budget, the Kia Carens is the 7 seated to go for. Get the turbo diesel and enjoy 8 years of no tension and efficient family motoring.

I will not recommend Innova Crysta, I find it overpriced and overrated. Yes it is reliable. But do you plan on using it for 2lakh km+ to make that count?
I got your point Shreyans, however it has to be an uchi(height wise) car this time. Will you suggest considering Crysta Petrol Auto ?
Old 29th April 2022, 21:54   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
Will you suggest considering Crysta Petrol Auto ?
The Petrol Crysta will more likely have worse fuel economy than the Hector Plus in my opinion.

How about a pre-owned CRV Diesel if you're able to find a good example?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 00:04   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got your point Shreyans, however it has to be an uchi(height wise) car this time. Will you suggest considering Crysta Petrol Auto ?
If that is the case, pls direct your energies to the nearest Kia showroom. Carnival, base model, will just about make it into your budget. The car may be due for replacement soon, but it is a far more comfortable, sophisticated and luxurious vehicle than the Innova Crysta. If you are keen to have your family travel in style, this is the way to do it. Best part: this is the only car that can actually accommodate the family’s luggage even when the third row is in use. Has about 500 liters of boot space even after all rows up.

I will not suggest the Crysta petrol. It’s a reliable workhorse, but nothing more. For a self driven family car, you’d be better off with the Carens instead. (turbo petrol or diesel is your call)

Carens has some boot space left if the third row is up. XUV700, Safari and Hector Plus have none. Zilch. They will not suit your purpose of long family trips with 6 people.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 30th April 2022 at 00:15.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 10:26   #115
BHPian

Quote:
We are a family of 6. (Parents, Wife, Myself and 2 kids - 11 yr boy & 5 yr girl).Every year 2 road trips are given, so 7-seater is required

Requirements –

1. Budget – 25 lac (Can extend max by 5%)

2. Preference is Automatic, with decent fuel efficiency. Plus wife can also drive.

3. Being from Delhi, everyone suggests Petrol because of 10 year rule, but I have an option to get car registered in Gurgaon, Haryana. Yes, I understand I can use it for only 10 years and will then have to sell, but my experience says selling Haryana diesel vehicle is easier than Delhi registered and less trouble.

4. Given, my last ride Honda City 2011 & Grand i10 Auto Manga did not had fancy features, I prefer gadgets & all fancy features this time.
Dude, I read you posts in the XUV thread too. You're thinking too much.

Just go with what your heart says. You already seem to be on the wrong side of 40. This is not the age to compromise. Ten years down the line, you will look back with either fond automotive memories or regrets.

XUV is a great car and better than all the other options you have listed here. Forget about the petrol/diesel debate. TD both and see what connects with you more.

If you can pull some strings, you can get the car much faster under VIP quota.

Last edited by naru80 : 1st May 2022 at 10:31.
Old 9th May 2022, 21:42   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Dude, I read you posts in the XUV thread too. You're thinking too much.

Just go with what your heart says. You already seem to be on the wrong side of 40. This is not the age to compromise.
Ofcourse yes, I'm thinking too much because I don't want to land with a car that I don't look back and this new car is going to stay for a while. I don't want to compromise except my Budget is 25lac .

After booking Xuv700 and posting it in it's thread, i thought did i considered all options or did i miss out on anything, so let me check with BHPians and next i happen to write another post.

I'm in late 30s , and not sure what does wrong side of 40s is. Please DM if you would like to share more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Carnival, base model, will just about make it into your budget.
I have not yet checked this, but this is a valid suggestion. Will check this car next week. XL6, Carens, Alcazar though are very compotent machines, but somehow i do not connect with them.

Final choice is now between Xuv700 Diesel & Petrol both vs Crysta Diesel and both vehicles in Auto & Top Spec.
Old 10th May 2022, 09:26   #117
BHPian

Quote:
not sure what does wrong side of 40s is
If you've crossed 40, you are on the wrong side of it

Quote:
Final choice is now between Xuv700 Diesel & Petrol both vs Crysta Diesel and both vehicles in Auto & Top Spec.
Crysta is a great vehicle if you are chauffer driven. Not so much if you drive and use it as a daily commuter. In that case I would prefer XUV700.

Also, in Crysta's case, petrol variant is not very popular. Low mileage and poor resale.

Last edited by naru80 : 10th May 2022 at 09:29.
Old 10th May 2022, 10:50   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse yes, I'm thinking too much because I don't want to land with a car that I don't look back
I believe you cannot buy a car like you would buy a white good such as a washing machine where you compare specs and price and after sales support and other such metrics.

A car is an emotional purchase. Something that appeals to the heart. It should bring a smile to your face every time you sit in it. It should make you feel happy when you see it parked outside your house. (This is why features like panoramic sunroof are such a big hit. They have limited utility but unlimited feel good factor.)

I suggest don't get hung up too much on mileage, pros vs cons, comparisons, etc. There is no perfect car or best buy. This approach will make you more confused than anything else. (You've made comparative excels and are still undecided!)

See what makes you feel good. In a car, that should be the deciding factor.
naru80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 14:24   #119
BHPian

Re: To Buy/Not Buy Tata Harrier/Safari in 2022 or Wait for Facelift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver85 View Post
I am seeking guidance from the owners/members in the forum regarding a new car purchase decision.

Surprise surprise!

I have booked Jeep Compass Limited (O), white color (comes with dual tone black roof). I know it is little stretch on my original budget by 4-5L but, I kind of eliminated all other options by exclusion. Eagerly awaiting the delivery. Shall keep you posted Thank you fellow BHPians for your kind suggestions

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th May 2022 at 14:42. Reason: Shortening quoted post to ease reability for our small screen viewers.
Old 15th August 2022, 04:50   #120
BHPian

Forced to buy a car 20-25L - confused

Hello all,

Posting this thread because no amount of reading the forum has been able to help me with my purchase decision. So, let me first post the limitations which make it hyper confusing followed by the requirements of the car. Apologies if this becomes a lengthy question, all suggestions would be appreciated.

Limitations:

1] PRICE (Ex-showroom price = Base Price + 28% GST on base price + 17% Cess on base price)
- My company has a company car policy which makes me eligible to buy (keyword being BUY and not LEASE) a car in the company name up to the ex-showroom price of 20,30,000/- (14 Lakhs base price).
- I can buy a car up to the ex-showroom price of 30,40,000 (base price 21,00,000); however, the amount above 20,30,000 will have to be paid by me along with pro-rated GST+Cess+Registration+Road Tax+Insurance, etc. This means am inclined to buy a car nearest to the 20,30,000 as possible but am not averse to going up to 25L ex-showroom. Any more than 25L starts becoming a difficult financial proposition to digest.

2] URGENCY:
- The urgency to buy the car is because every month that I don't buy the car, I lose out on around 10K in tax savings.
- Also, if I wait for 4-5 months the prices of cars in the segment I am looking for will rise by 40-50K.
Overall waiting 4-5 months will approximately cost me 1L.

Car Functional requirements:
1] Petrol (low running and NGT rule in NCR)
2] Automatic (can't imagine driving a manual now, also, mostly city driving with highway trips once every 2-3 months)
3] High GC (sedans don't tug my heart anymore and high GC is required to get in and out of my locality)
4] 5 Star safety rating (can compromise to 4 stars if other criteria are met)
5] 5-seater preferably since it will primarily be used by me (although not against 7-seaters)
6] City mileage of 10 would suffice
7] Reliability
8] Okay or good ASS
9] Not a deal breaker but half decent resale value

Must have car features:
1] Cruise Control
2] Ventilated seats
3] Adjustable drivers seat
4] Rear viper/Defogger
Not too rigid on gazillion other features like sunroof, heated orvms, 360 camera, Auto headlights, Rain sensing wipers etc. Won't be deal breakers.

Car shortlisted in order of priority:
Need to mention that I currently drive dad's Nexon Petrol AMT so the new car needs to feel like an upgrade.

1] XUV700L AX7L:
PROS: Near perfect car for my needs. Would buy this in an instant.
CONS: Mahindra cannot provide this in an instant. All dealers are quoting upwards of 6 months for delivery.

2] Jeep Compass Limited/Night Eagle:
PROS: Loved the ride, handling, interiors, and build quality.
CONS: Scared of the multiple issues reported by owners on the forum itself, poor ASS, and the dreaded rattling noises. No ventilated seats.
Booked the Night Eagle today but canceled it right away after the dealer refused to remove the handling charges of 23K. (they call is document processing charges now). Prices rise by 3-4% starting 1st September.

3] MG Hector Sharp CVT:
PROS: Good city car, slightly sluggish CVT but manageable, host of features which the parents loved.
CONS: Weird percussion sound from the car on even slightly bad roads (common from test drives of 2 different cars). Poor ASS in NCR as told by a few friends. I have gotten past the Chinese connection but people in my family aren't convinced.
Have booked it with MG with the intent to change the booking to the updated version that shall be out soon but am not entirely sure about this car.

4] Test Drove and Rejected:
VW Taigun GT Plus 1.5L: No ventilated seats and didn't feel like an upgrade.
Skoda Kushaq Style 1.5L: Didn't feel like an upgrade and I couldn't unsee the really poor-quality roof liner.

5] Outright Rejected:
Creta/Seltos: Poor safety ratings. Plus am tired of looking at them on the roads.
Scorpio N - waiting period in years, what a joke.
Alcazar/Innova Crysta: Don't need an MPV.
City/Slavia/Virtus: Need a high GC and good entry and departure angle to get into and out of my locality.

Thanks for bearing with the lengthy post, let me come to the final questions.

1] Should I book and wait out 6 months for XUV700 (assuming the financial loss of approx 1L would most likely be offset in its better resale value over the jeep compass.)

2] Should I pay the handling charges to Landmark Jeep and get the Night Eagle within this month before the 40-50K price rise.

3] Wait out 2 months for the MG Hector refresh with ADAS.

4] Hyundai Tuscon Platinum AT: Can think about it but would be very hard to spend approx 9L over my limits. Can get the V-Strom 650 in that amount.

You know what I really wish, that companies would allow buying a Motorcycle under this program. Would Have picked the Honda Africa Twin in an instant. :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks