Tata Safari 126 19.03%
Toyota Innova Crysta 162 24.47%
Hyundai Alcazar 10 1.51%
MG Hector Plus 23 3.47%
Other (please specify in your post) 15 2.27%
Voters: 662. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2023, 11:49   #136

Re: How I ended up booking XUV700 MX Petrol, yet seems this search is incomplete.

Thanks.. I am just trying to accommodate future needs by buying a bigger car like XUV700 as I do not plan an upgrade for a decade at the least. Family can grow and so the needs of more space but Car cannot grow. So I am trying to take a call making a presumption that my budget will increase in 2-3 cars and just borrowing from future ..
Old 17th March 2023, 20:39   #137
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 vs Tata Safari vs Toyota Innova Crysta vs others

We are planning to upgrade our XUV500. Visited Toyota, Mahindra and Tata showrooms to check the cars. Below is the observation so far.

I am looking to buy Automatic with safety features. Below are my requirements:

7 seater: May use only in City but good to have the option.
Adaptive Cruise Control: CC on 500 was very hardly used as Indian highways are not build for this. ACC looked more useful during the car reviews.
360 degree camera: Missed it so many times in my 500 during Manali trip.

My usage is 90% highways. City driving would be more or less during off peak hours.

XUV700 (AX 7L D AT):
* Car is super smooth to drive. Steering is very light. Easy to drive in City.
* Adaptive Cruise Control is amazing.
* Overall car is good but in terms of looks it is not as imposing as 500.
* Infotainment system looks good but not a deciding factor for me.
* ADAS features work well but may take some time to get adjust to it.
* Adjustable 2nd row seats would have been good.
* Height is a bit low. I (5.9) almost hit my head while seating (habit of 500 where did not have to worry about it).
* Waiting period is still long. May take minimum 7-8 months.
* Sound system is very good.

Safari (XZA+ AT with ADAS)
* Overall car looks good. Give more of SUV feeling.
* Interiors looks better than previous safari (Personal opinion).
* Steering is harder than 700 but it gives you feeling of SUV. Personally, I was able to drive easily in the Bangalore Traffic, so it is non issue for me.
* Infotainment system is good. Response was good. More than adequate for me.
  • 360 degree camera quality was very good.
  • 2nd row seat felt more comfortable due to recline and sliding.
  • 3rd row is more usable due to 2nd row sliding.
  • Sound system was more than adequate for my liking.
  • Available within 5-6 weeks or earlier.
  • Hhave read in the reviews about keen hitting the console. However, I did not feel it in the automatic variant.
Innova Hycross
  • Definitely a great car. Overall package is very good.
  • 2nd row captain seats are great.
  • Proper 6 seater and can have luggage too.
  • Could not TD as visited very late in evening.
Discarded Innova Hycross for below reasons:
  • Waiting of almost more than 1 year
  • Current on road price 38 lacs. May easily reach 40-42 by the time of delivery. Does not make sense to spend 10L more than safari or 700.
  • Since, the city usage is very limited, will not be able to take advantage of Hybrid.
I have booked 700 AWD to be in queue.

Overall, we are more inclined towards Safari as we feel it would be more comfortable on Highways.

Only thing, I am missing on Safari is ACC which keep my mind leaning towards 700. If only Safari had ACC, would have booked immediately.

Camera quality was definitely better in Safari than 700. Even console display is better while using left/right indicator.

Another advantage of Safari is around 1 month waiting only.

Have asked Tata SA to call me when they have Dark Edition on Display and decide accordingly.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th March 2023 at 20:44. Reason: LIST added.
Old 8th April 2023, 14:46   #138

To change or not change, that is the question!

Hello everyone, this is asc2022 from Hyderabad and this is my very first post in this forum. I am a new member of Team BHP, though I have been following this forum since many years and this has been my go-to forum for all things cars.

I have been driving a Ford Ecosport Petrol manual, since Dec 2016. Prior to that I had a Maruti Suzuki Ritz, petrol manual which served its duty well for 80k km before I decided to part with it after 7 years. I recently got the new Alto K10 AMT for the home ministry, which I too use occasionally for runs to a crowded market. The AMT, though not the best automatic out there, is still super convenient in bumper to bumper traffic. My left knee thanks me each time I drive it. Though, in my opinion, a manual has it’s own charisma and the joy of changing gears and experiencing the rush of power is surreal, but city traffic is a thing .

Coming back to present day - I am facing quite the predicament ever since Ford decided to revisit its priorities for India. This has resulted in an excuse for me to look for a new set of wheels. I have somehow managed to curtail the itch since Sep 2021 convincing myself that my car is in excellent shape (which it still is after 55k km, with 2 years of rest during the pandemic) and that prices for the new generation of cars have skyrocketed (Hyderabad being even more expensive with 19% road tax for a second vehicle) which might burn a big hole in my pocket. However each time I see some of the enticing new breed of cars on the roads, such as Harrier, Compass etc, the itch to upgrade to a new and bigger car with modern day conveniences, and more importantly more space and an automatic gearbox surfaces.

So far, I have contended myself by taking test drives and visiting showrooms. As time has progressed and as my kids are growing up, the need for a bit more space during family trips is gaining importance. Till date, I have seen the following cars in a hope that one of these will present itself as a worthy upgrade and will be an undoubted revelation of being the one: Jeep Compass, Tata Harrier, Tata Safari, Mahindra Scorpio N, Alcazar, Mahindra XUV 700, plus a bunch of Sedans - Slavia, Virtus, Honda City and the new age Verna.

Sadly none of these have tugged at my heart strings so much and I felt that none of them come close to what Ford offered as an overall experience, even today after it is long gone. I’m talking about build quality, driving pleasure, service experience, pricing, overall fit and finish, engine refinement, robustness (no rattles and unnecessary sounds), the satisfaction of sitting in something that you know is reliable and tough. Finding all these in one package and that too at a price that doesn’t sound outrageous looks like history. At least to me it appears that way. Again, no offence to anyone who is driving the cars that I mentioned above, I love every one of them and they are all good cars and preferences are an individual thing.

The Jeep Compass (present day variants) came very close to what I was looking for in a car as an upgrade from my Ecosport, but the OTR prices in Hyd, 35L for the Model S Petrol variant just seems a little overpriced to me, though this one tugs at my heart strings the most, among the list that I mentioned (with a little compromise, narrow cabin at the rear)

The other 2 options that I am considering are, the new Tata Harrier XZA (w/o sunroof, as I don’t really want it) and the XUV700 AX5, diesel auto both of which may be between 25-28L OTR. I feel these 2 may be sensible choices and more VFM too, but I am a bit concerned about the future of diesel motors, specially with the Govt. coming up with stricter norms, and reading about DPF issues and regular niggles related to TATA and Mahindra products. I plan to use the car for at least 6-7 years, if not more. Also, would it make sense to retain the Ford for some more time given Ford exit and long term commitment?

So here I end my monologue and would like to invite all your valuable suggestions / advice/similar experience sharing and outcome :-).

Thank you in advance.

ASC
Asc2022 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 09:05   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: To change or not change, that is the question!

Firstly, you don’t need to worry about the future of diesels. They are not going anywhere and you do not live in Delhi NCR. Second, the 2.0MJD engine has had the least amount of issues with the BS6 transition, with hardly any incident of DPF clogging being reported in any of its applications.

I will suggest that you head to your nearest Jeep showroom, and look for deals on the Meridian. It is likely that that will have some 2022 stock of Meridian lying with them, and definitely a few of the BS6 2023 model cars (pre BS6.2). Either way, there are great deals to be had and you can expect the 4x2 automatic for about the price of a new BS6.2 Compass automatic. For someone not based in Delhi, this is the single best option for a superb premium all rounder at a palpable and fair price.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 10:16   #140
BHPian

To XUV700 or not to XUV700

Hi All,
Long time reader of TeamBHP, first post.
I've booked XUV700 Petrol AX7 and AX7L and at the cusp of getting the car. However, I am developing cold feet, primarily because of this being a guzzler.

Brief background: I'm 6'3 tall and currently drive a 9 year old Ertiga Petrol. My drive pattern is 80 (City)/ 20 (highway) and about 8k km per year. Even 10 years ago, I found the sedans (City, Verna, Vento) limited on leg room with my driving position and particularly, inconvenient egress.

My expectations from the new car: Plan to own the new car for 8-10 years, therefore looking to future proof to the possible extent. Automatic, safety, latest tech (attracted by ADAS). I'm also environmentally conscious - this makes me feel uncomfortable with the thought of owning XUV700 Petrol AT. For my regular driving, I don't need a 2L turbo! I also booked and canceled the Toyota Hyryder as I felt it was cramped for space - second-row headroom/ cant seat five adults comfortably.

My budget has been a sliding scale - started off with around 20L, now standing at 30L. Was trying to justify the cost of an Innova Hycross, given lower running cost and future resale value.

The constraining factors are...
1. Headroom/legroom
2. To seat 5 comfortably
3. A safe car - only owned Maruti and Hyundai.
4. Advanced tech - future proofing - Would love to hear how much of current gen ADAS is useful vs. gimmicky.
5. As environmentally friendly as possible - I'm not on the EV wagon yet.

Appreciate your perspectives.
Old 9th April 2023, 10:41   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: To XUV700 or not to XUV700

For the low running that you expect, don’t fret too much about fuel efficiency. Enjoy the performance and refinement, no other big car is this good for limited running in this price range.

HyCross does not make sense for you as you only plan of seating 5 and don’t really need a third row. In case you are open to pre loved cars, there are great deals to be had on sparingly used Kodiaqs. Do scout online, it is a far superior car and can be had for less than the price of a new HyCross hybrid.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 9th April 2023 at 10:44.
Old 9th April 2023, 12:24   #142
BANNED

I would recommend you spend 75k extra and get the AX7L Diesel AT, the same car and features but added torque and diesel engine. Moreover, mileage would be much better than the petrol model.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 13:39   #143

Hello, fellow BHPian,

I personally have always been averse to selling your 5yr old car without any problems and just keeping the car for eternity if it runs and drives good and serves its purpose.

With you my friend, I feel like you need to upgrade your primary car (2016 Ecosport) to a bigger car due to family needs. As I could assess from your post you prefer a 7 seater car, and I would suggest to go for an XUV700, as it is a better value for money than it's competitors, Harrier is about to be redesigned, which will feel like buying an outdated car. Jeep Compass is a great car, no doubt, but if you're expending 35 lakhs, why not get the new Tucson.

Futher, Diesel cars are viable for the 7yr time you're looking for no doubt. According to me, upto 2030 only will the most cars on offer would be electric, and on the roads 80% would be gas powered.

Keep us posted what you decided !
CA7777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 15:02   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonmus_drivr View Post
Hi All,
Long time reader of TeamBHP, first post.
I've booked XUV700 Petrol AX7 and AX7L and at the cusp of getting the car. However, I am developing cold feet, primarily because of this being a guzzler.

Brief background: I'm 6'3 tall and currently drive a 9 year old Ertiga Petrol. My drive pattern is 80 (City)/ 20 (highway) and about 8k km per year. Even 10 years ago, I found the sedans (City, Verna, Vento) limited on leg room with my driving position and particularly, inconvenient egress.

No doubt XUV is overkill for your usage pattern currently however it's nice to have a vehicle that encourages you to go places than otherwise.

Fuel costs aren't going to be a concern for most people who can afford 30L vehicles , it's just a matter of getting used to. Besides XUV when sensibly driven is as economical as a vehicle of that size can get, in other words it's not a guzzler.
Old 9th April 2023, 18:30   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
I would recommend you spend 75k extra and get the AX7L Diesel AT, the same car and features but added torque and diesel engine. Moreover, mileage would be much better than the petrol model.
Thanks. I didn't consider diesel thinking that the per capital CO2e from Diesel vehicles will be higher than petrol. I tried googling now, and there are some counter intuitive facts coming up. I'm not thinking primarily about the cost of fuel when I say guzzler, more about the environmental impact. Can anyone share more insights on the environmental impact diesel vs petrol?

Also, would be great if anyone could share perspectives on ADAS in XUV700, how useful vs. a shiny toy.
Old 10th April 2023, 08:25   #146

Thank you Sir. Great views and some great advice. Will certainly keep you all posted!
Old 13th June 2024, 18:58   #147
BHPian

Used CRV diesel vs Xuv 700 AXL

Hi,
Before anybody says that its an apple to oranges comparison, let me explain.
I have a diesel ecosport 2017 and I love to drive this car. But now due to its age, 75k odo, ford not in India and requirement of 7 seater, I am planning to upgrade. I would like to drive a fun to drive car preferably diesel.
Regarding budget, I know I cannot stretch beyond 30 in any case.
My annual kms are 10k.
I looked at all options available in new car market.
I don't like look of carens and also the engine options.
Alcazar I can wait for new but again same engine options and questionable safety.
Safari, too many horror stories to venture.
Hycross, I like only top model which is beyond budget and also waiting is unreasonable.
I am left with only XUV 700 top model AXL. I cant take lower models without 360 camera when the car has bad reverse camera and only 2 reverse parking sensors.

On other hand mind says that I should save more money and not spend so much on a depreciating asset. So I looked in used car market. I found that I cant take old luxury seven seater since in my town there is no service option. Old Skoda and Mahindra cannot be trusted much. Only old Toyota and Hondas can be trusted. Toyota there are no old suvs and only option is Crysta. Honda there is one option of 7 seater which is CRV diesel 2018 to 2020 model. There are few CrVs online which are available in 18 to 20 lk range with less than 50k odo. I love the looks amd features available. But I dont have any idea about used car market.
I am confused about what should I do.
1. Go for new Xuv AXL right now.
2. Go for Crv 2019 and take risk
3. Wait for Xuv 700 facelift or Alcazar facelift.

Thank you for your responses.
Old 13th June 2024, 21:04   #148
BHPian

Re: Used CRV diesel vs Xuv 700 AXL

1. Go for new Xuv AXL right now would be my choice.
because facelifted "XUV 700 top model AXL" may not be available in 30L budget.
and facelift may not bring great change in functions but may have cosmetic improvements.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 21:26   #149
BANNED

Re: Used CRV diesel vs Xuv 700 AXL

1. If you're looking for a diesel car that's fun to drive, you should go for the XUV 700.

2. If you're not too familiar with the used car market, it might be better to consider buying a new car instead of going for a used one.

3. Just a heads up - the facelift for the XUV 700 is still at least 1.5 years away. On the other hand, the Alcazar facelift will be coming out soon since the new Creta has already been launched. Between the two, the Alcazar will be slightly less fun to drive, but it'll offer better reliability.
vattyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 17:19   #150

Re: Mahindra XUV700 vs Tata Safari vs Toyota Innova Crysta vs others

I think you should go for used CRV or Crysta. They may not be as fun to drive as XUV 7OO but they'll sure be a bang for your buck. Both of these will be pretty much reliable and will easily serve your purpose.

And since your running is pretty low for a diesel going for a BS-6 diesel can quickly turn into a horror story with DPF clogging and with extra maintenance costs over BS-4 diesel engines.

Even if you are not used to of used car market getting a toyota or honda will be mostly troublefree if bought from trusted seller or platform. This way you can even save some buck for yourself
Overtune26 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks