Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2021, 15:55   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 1,220
Thanked: 2,790 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky4327 View Post
As the Oracle told Neo "No, you've already made the choice. Now you have to understand it."
Haha, well said Risky. At times, I too felt it, however your next statement captures the other side.

Quote:
I never thought I would ever recommend Hector over Compass or Harrier,...
It just doesn't feel satisfying enough to drive for what is likely to be the last major internal combustion engine I regularly drive. It is that thought which I used to justify the higher spend than initially planned. I don't want to get this wrong, and rue that over the years.

Test driving the Jeep Compass only made me realize what I'd be missing in a 'from the head' Hector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
That was for VW launching the matte editions of the Polo and the Vento at a higher price rather than offering discounts on the cars which will be phased out soon.
Never knew that bit about the Vento and Polo, but not surprised. Thanks, @shancz . Our thoughts about the XUV300 are similar.

~~~~
PS: Will share thoughts on the other views later in the day

Last edited by Poitive : 15th December 2021 at 16:04. Reason: Added the reply to shancz's post
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 17:31   #32
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 508
Thanked: 692 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

I think you will end up with Compass Diesel Manual because 1. Its fun to drive 2. Looks good 3. As you have said in one of your posts this is probably your last normal car before EV then you might want to buy what appeals to heart 4. You are coming from Optra hence choosing a different car from mainstream is ok with you.

Hence my recommendation: go with Jeep Compass. Tucson would be a better choice however you only want MT so it's out. As for XUV 700, I doubt you want to wait for that long and its complex car so do you want to be initial test subject. MG, well upto you however you did say you want mechanically sound car and not too much into bling (I personally don't like its branding with bling and Internet Inside type of lines etc.) One final choice is Tata Hector, so its between Compass/Hector. Get whatever appeals to pocket+ heart.

Or if you really want to buy something that appeals to heart and probably last gasoline vehicle then get Thar and sit next to driver. Its spacious enough for 3-4 people without luggage. (I will end up doing this as in market for a new vehicle).

Last edited by heydj : 15th December 2021 at 17:43.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 17:56   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 174
Thanked: 252 Times
SUV/Sedan upto 22 lacs

I am in market for getting a new car. I am currently driving a 2012 preowned Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG and absolutely love the car. Jetta is a really nice ride, safe with 8 airbags etc but I have to let it go because its going to complete 10 years in 2022 and Delhi doesn't allow vehicles older than 10 years to ply in Delhi.

I would have loved to try the Slavia but its a long wait and no inputs on exact pricing.

Seltos/Creta/MG are out of question.

Options in my mind - Taigun, Jeep Compass, Harrier

Right now if I am getting Taigun top model i.e. 1.5 TSI DSG for X lac rupees then Harrier XZA+DARK is going to cost me X+1.5 lacs and Jeep Compass Limited 2.0 D MT for X+3 lacs.

In my opinion Taigun's pros - Cheapest and a powerful engine with DSG for a low kerb weight.
Cons - Its VW. I have experienced loads of maintenance issues with my Jetta. Though it was fun to drive.
Normal sunroof
Fabric upholstery etc.


Harrier - It has got the looks, size, space, presence and automatic.
Cons - Too many niggles being discussed on Team-BHP and elsewhere.

Jeep Compass - Less weight and same power/torque as Harrier. Better fit and finish but exterior looks little old to me now. Costliest among these three but niggle free (Relatively) and better interiors but I can take the manual only. Auto is out of budget.


My driving is usually Delhi to Gurgaon and mostly highway. I don't drive inside the Delhi much.

So guys can you help me out here in choosing a car ?
Metallicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 18:03   #34
BHPian
 
Tony2298's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: India
Posts: 76
Thanked: 381 Times
Re: Mahindra XUV700 - Thoughts, Impressions, Questions (NOT a TD)

First of all, very delighted to meet another car-crazy die hard diesel head like me and yes once you experience that's immensely torquey Diesels it's very hard going back and even though BS6 has put some challenges on Diesels but before they go completely inexistent it makes sense to experience them for one last time. It's so sad that some OEMs like GM and Ford which had given us great Diesel engines like 2.0TCDi and 3.2Duratorq are no more operational in India and VAG which used to offer us excellent TDi engines has also completely stopped making those.

Among the current lot I would suggest you to go for Tata Harrier 2.0Kryotec if you're interested in Automatics as that 6speed Hyundai AT is even better than 9speed ZF AT in the Jeep but if you want stick shift you're better off with the Jeep as Tata's in-house Gearbox and clutch isn't exactly smooth and feels a touch rubbery.

Another wild-card entry would be the Hyundai Tucson 2.0 R CRDi with that heavenly 8speed TC AT and with 185PS/400Nm it's amongst the best diesel out there not to mention the fact that it's extremely silent just like other Hyundai diesels and even if you go for the entry level GL(O) variant, it's extremely well-equipped just losing out on electric tailgate, electric parking brake, colour MID and Projector LED headlights (it has projector halogens), not a deal breaker at all.

Lastly I would recommend you to go for big diesels with SCR systems rather than small diesels with NSC systems as the latter is more prone to DPF issues. Happy shopping time ahead
Tony2298 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 18:18   #35
AYP
Senior - BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,130
Thanked: 3,192 Times
Re: SUV/Sedan upto 22 lacs

Only the Compass diesel shall be an apt replacement for the Jetta. You can also check out the T-ROC if the stocks are available.

I am surprised that you are getting the Compass Limited for only 3 lakhs more than the Taigun DSG. What is the discount on offer? Hope that you are not talking about the Compass Longitude(O).
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 18:20   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 254
Thanked: 1,120 Times
Re: SUV/Sedan upto 22 lacs

Well, in case of the Harrier, agreed, there is a lot of discussion happening on our forum, but first, most of it is just niggles, could also be personal preferences in some cases, and second, because it is carrying the flagship model (along with the safari) badge, there will always be greater scrutiny and standards it will be benchmarked against, which obviously, is a good thing.
The fact that it continues to be a popular seller inspite of all these issues, proves its overall quality. Those who have issues tend to express them more freely than those who are happy with the vehicle.
THAT SAID, Tata motors does have a not so good past in after sales support. To take care of this, it would be prudent to check your local Tata Authorised service stations, and what experience people have had there.

Coming to the Jeep. It is not without its fair share of niggles, they are mostly less highlighted due to the low overall sales of the vehicle. Plus it is now due for a refresh, so waiting for the refreshed model would be prudent if ur considering the same.

Finally, the Taigun. It is a brand new model, so there will be the wow factor for the same. The lower maintenance and higher brand image will be a plus. In fact, I am surprised VW has given you issues, most VW owners are quite content with their ownership experience.
In a sidenote, you could also consider the Skoda Kushaq, after all it is basically the same vehicle, with better looks (purely subjective tho) and more or less similar after sales experience

In my opinion, you should leave aside the image or the niggles issues, and drive all 3 back to back and decide on the basis of that experience.
kosjam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 18:23   #37
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 508
Thanked: 692 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
One final choice is Tata Hector, so its between Compass/Hector. Get whatever appeals to pocket+ heart.

(I will end up doing this as in market for a new vehicle).
Mods in this line I meant Tata Harrier. However not able to edit as realised late. Thanks to fellow Bhpian for pointing this out. Can you please edit & delete this post.
heydj is offline  
Old 15th December 2021, 19:05   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Banglore
Posts: 185
Thanked: 298 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

I think you should go with XUV 700, but you will get delivery around 2023 which I feel is going to take down any niggles in the product, if you want fast delivery then start making friends with multiple Dealerships 😂

If not then go for Compass, you will never regret it but you will only get the base model😔
Will not recommend Hector because you love driving, Hector isn't great in driving Dynamics so it will always bring a question whether you bought a car or smartphone
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 19:32   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 174
Thanked: 252 Times
Re: SUV/Sedan upto 22 lacs

I do not know how to Multi quote.

@AYP - I am getting Taigun without any discounts but Harrier with a huge discount and Jeep Limited 2.0D MT with even higher discount and thats why the gap final price gap is limited to 3 lacs between Taigun and Compass.

@Kosjam - Jetta I purchased at 33k on odo after certification from VW workshop. Water pump failed and timing belt etc had to be changed. Total - 52k (Including service)

AC failed - Local compressor installed. Failed again and now a unit of Passat has been installed but the car needs condenser change.

Flywheel changed at 72k kms. No DSG issues till now.

Roof headliner costing 12k replaced under insurance though. Jetta is famous for AC compressor failures, water pump failures and sagging roof liners.

In the end it is still fun to drive with economy going upto 22 kmpl on highways. Mindblowing turboboost I did not get the ECU tweaked in diesel gate scandal.

Currently my heart is tilting towards the Harrier but I am scared too. It is going to be my costliest purchase till date.

I agree that niggles and issues get highlighted more in forums like ours. Usually happy customers are busy driving/enjoying their rides.
Metallicar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 19:45   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,230
Thanked: 21,443 Times
Re: SUV/Sedan upto 22 lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
I do not know how to Multi quote...
Moved your thread to relevant forum section.

To learn how to multi-quote, please see here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Good luck with the car search
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 20:38   #41
AZT
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bombay
Posts: 671
Thanked: 2,551 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Any reason why the Astor has been ruled out. You can get the top most variant ~ 20 l and is a good alternative to the Seltos / Creta. Creta is still the GOAT in that segment though so definitely check it out before deciding.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 21:34   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Earth
Posts: 55
Thanked: 68 Times
Re: SUV/Sedan upto 22 lacs

Rank 1: Harrier
Rank 2: Compass
Rank 3: Taigun

Now, why harrier given preference amongst three:

- Domestic Brand: No fear of exit hence, no after sale hassles, be it spares or resale value.

- Street Appearance: Though Compass looks equally good but harrier got it's own unique appeal, dark edition is a head turner.
Taigun looks in the segment of Venue and not even Creta as per dimensions. Just VW logo won't suffice.

- Maintenance: Comparatively less keeping in view VW breakdowns and these locally build models are prone to minor niggles too as cost cutting is evident.
Jeep's spares although durable, might take longer to reach in case of limited/no inventory when replacement needed.
You can also opt for harrier's 5 yrs unlimited KM extended warranty package around 29K, i guess, includes clutch, engine, AC, fuel pump to be taken care free of cost.

- Resale: Harrier (here) wins, undoubtedly.

- FNG Advantage: Comparatively, easily serviceable / repairable from Friendly Neighbourhood Garage or familiar mechanic being Tata unlike VW, the most complex.
Jeep too upto some extent but not as complex to repair as germans.

Other than Harrier, do check out Innova GX and Elantra SX or SX (O) (AT) keeping in view reliability and looks.

Rest, it depends on your usage, personal preferences and allied aspects.

All the best in choosing the best one !

Last edited by i_s_bajwa : 15th December 2021 at 21:53. Reason: Additional point added
i_s_bajwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 22:17   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 49 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

This is a really good thread @Poitive! Thank you from someone who is sitting with a 20L budget and not able to decide on a good SUV! Trust me there are quite a lot of folks stuck with this dilemma with the same budget. So here is what I have tested so far (most of this were automatics)

Mahindra Stable:
I have tested the XUV 700 AX7 L and the first impression is whoa this is definitely a class apart! Space and power wise it will not disappoint you (I am spoilt by a 2014 GT TDI approx. 215 NM/Tonne )
A year and a half of waiting period just completely threw me off this one though.

XUV 300 is pretty powerful as well but the size and the interiors of the car might disappoint you. I just felt it really dated compared to the competition.

VW / Skoda:
Yes it will be a turbo petrol but do try the VW Taigun GT (might be better than Kushaq in terms of the ride). Fit n Finish may not be old VW levels but the drive inspires so much more confidence than many others in this class (read very good power delivery, driving position and stability)
Rear seat knee room should also suit your tall frame which means that you may be able to push the driver's seat back and get a good position there as well?
Only concern for me is that I am inclining towards an automatic and I am truly scared of the DSG.

Hyundai/Kia:
Creta is also something to try, like many have said in this thread, only because it's fit , finish and ride might be something you will like more than the Kia. But yes the torque on tap with the diesel is just "sufficient" as you rightly mentioned.. and well I can't fathom the design language.

TaMo
Safari was the one I tested here but hardly 2 or 3 kms in stop and go traffic for majority of the duration. Not right to comment on this I guess.

What have I decided?
Well i am thinking to stretch that budget to 25L to include Harrier, Safari and the Jeep. For me the drive matters a lot and nothing really ticks all boxes. I have not tested the Jeep just to prevent myself from being drawn to it and ending up tearing my own pockets !

Sorry have not driven the Hector or the Duster so cannot comment. I was a bit apprehensive towards Hector/Astor because of the service network and well the lineage.

Wish you all the very best in your endeavour though! Please take your time and decide based on your needs.

Last edited by Saint_Krish : 15th December 2021 at 22:18. Reason: spelling errors
Saint_Krish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 23:27   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: India
Posts: 57
Thanked: 92 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
This is a really good thread @Poitive! Thank you from someone who is sitting with a 20L budget and not able to decide on a good SUV! Trust me there are quite a lot of folks stuck with this dilemma with the same budget. So here is what I have tested so far (most of this were automatics)

Mahindra Stable:
I have tested the XUV 700 AX7 L and the first impression is whoa this is definitely a class apart! Space and power wise it will not disappoint you (I am spoilt by a 2014 GT TDI approx. 215 NM/Tonne )
A year and a half of waiting period just completely threw me off this one though.

XUV 300 is pretty powerful as well but the size and the interiors of the car might disappoint you. I just felt it really dated compared to the competition.

VW / Skoda:
Yes it will be a turbo petrol but do try the VW Taigun GT (might be better than Kushaq in terms of the ride). Fit n Finish may not be old VW levels but the drive inspires so much more confidence than many others in this class (read very good power delivery, driving position and stability)
Rear seat knee room should also suit your tall frame which means that you may be able to push the driver's seat back and get a good position there as well?
Only concern for me is that I am inclining towards an automatic and I am truly scared of the DSG.

Hyundai/Kia:
Creta is also something to try, like many have said in this thread, only because it's fit , finish and ride might be something you will like more than the Kia. But yes the torque on tap with the diesel is just "sufficient" as you rightly mentioned.. and well I can't fathom the design language.

TaMo
Safari was the one I tested here but hardly 2 or 3 kms in stop and go traffic for majority of the duration. Not right to comment on this I guess.

What have I decided?
Well i am thinking to stretch that budget to 25L to include Harrier, Safari and the Jeep. For me the drive matters a lot and nothing really ticks all boxes. I have not tested the Jeep just to prevent myself from being drawn to it and ending up tearing my own pockets !

Sorry have not driven the Hector or the Duster so cannot comment. I was a bit apprehensive towards Hector/Astor because of the service network and well the lineage.

Wish you all the very best in your endeavour though! Please take your time and decide based on your needs.
Jeep's driving dynamics and handling are class apart
I went to check a fresh car in dealer's stockyard and it had 150kms on the odometer. The plastic on front passenger seat was torn and number plate had a TC sticker. One look at tread was enough to gauge the real condition. The dealer cant be trusted now.

After test driving Harrier, i jad suffered from a bsck pain owing to faulty ergonomics of the driver seat. Tall drivers will be constantly irritated as their left knee will brush against the dash.Same situation in Safari.

On Kushaq, it has 60℅ of Skodas DNA with cost cutting evident everywhere. Moreover DSG has reliability issues.

XUV300 looks like a compact suv with boot chopped off at last minute.

I am yet to decide on the car. But yes i am confuses as well.
Turbojet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 00:27   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 1,220
Thanked: 2,790 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

I truly appreciate the interest and replied, mates; thanks. Since recommendations overlap, replying post by post might make it repetitive and pretty illogical, will try and share thoughts consolidating them. Just in case any gets missed out, do pardon me. Also allow me to reformat some of the replies on this thread hereon (with "..." for the snips, and bold/italic/underline formatting to make it easier to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
I see alot of used Hyundai Tucsons in your budget....
Also, from your reviews of the ride and handling of other cars, it seems the Taigun/Kushaq are the only ones that will make you happy. ...
Thanks Turbolove; your name says a lot. Thoughts on both below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I think you will end up with Compass Diesel Manual because 1. Its fun to drive 2. Looks good 3. As you have said in one of your posts this is probably your last normal car before EV then you might want to buy what appeals to heart 4. You are coming from Optra hence choosing a different car from mainstream is ok with you. Hence my recommendation: go with Jeep Compass.
Thanks, heydj. The last normal car logic is pushing me a lot; probably more than it should ("zindagi na milae gi doobara" types).

Besides issues with the longevity of Jeep in India, and other things, the one thing I'm finding difficult to reconcile to is the knee hitting the dash-console issue. Such flaws also make me wonder how well thought a car is.

In the rush after the tremendously enjoyable TD, and an acceptable colour being readily available, had it not been the knee issue, I might have already been driving a Compass well before the thread was even thought of. I was on that much of a high. When I called for a second TD, I was mentally prepared to sign the cheque. I just might still end up with it!

Quote:
Tucson would be a better choice however you only want MT so it's out. As for XUV 700, I doubt you want to wait for that long and its complex car so do you want to be initial test subject. MG, well upto you however you did say you want mechanically sound car and not too much into bling (I personally don't like its branding with bling and Internet Inside type of lines etc.) One final choice is Tata Hector, so its between Compass/Hector. Get whatever appeals to pocket+ heart.
(evidently you meant Tata Harrier and not Hector, so shall reply accordingly)

The XUV bit with another post later, mate. MG :Though blingy beyond my usual comfort, I did not find it mechanically unsound. Could well be better thought out than competition. With the Harrier, again, it is the knee issue. Life is difficult! (kidding)

Quote:
Or if you really want to buy something that appeals to heart and probably last gasoline vehicle then get Thar and sit next to driver. Its spacious enough for 3-4 people without luggage. (I will end up doing this as in market for a new vehicle).
Thar
I really did consider this - Thar and sitting next to the driver. However how things work at our end, no one will really be willing to topple down seats and go to the next row, and it will largely be a waste, almost making it a two-seater, which really doesn't work out. While 80% odd usage will be with 1-2 people in the car, the rest can't be ignored. Can't even take it to pick/drop family from the airport - and so for a good near decade ahead. If I was to go in for a interim purchase based on an XUV700 selection and consequent wait, Thar would be in the ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2298 View Post
First of all, very delighted to meet another car-crazy die hard diesel head like me and yes once you experience that's immensely torquey Diesels it's very hard going back ...
Haha. A pleasure, Tony. I so resonate with what you say here. Nothing else seems fun enough. Others might have more power, but the character of torquey diesels has a taste of it's own.

Quote:
Among the current lot I would suggest you to go for Tata Harrier 2.0Kryotec if you're interested in Automatics as that 6speed Hyundai AT is even better than 9speed ZF AT in the Jeep but if you want stick shift you're better off with the Jeep as Tata's in-house Gearbox and clutch isn't exactly smooth and feels a touch rubbery.
Interestingly, I have usually been okay with most MT gearboxes for day to day use. Few stand out as being really much better for me. For a MT, gearbox will only be a tiny consideration, amongst many other constraining factors. In case, I do look at AT, will keep your suggestion in mind, mate.

Quote:
Another wild-card entry would be the Hyundai Tucson 2.0 R CRDi ....
entry level GL(O) variant, it's extremely well-equipped just losing out on electric tailgate, electric parking brake, colour MID and Projector LED headlights (it has projector halogens), not a deal breaker at all.
Views on the Tucson below. About the features mentioned, they are really not much of a priority and are mainly taken into consideration while deciding on the trim level, once the basic car has been figured out, or if there is a close context between two satisfying ones. I've happily lived with an Optra LT, after all.

Quote:
Lastly I would recommend you to go for big diesels with SCR systems rather than small diesels with NSC systems as the latter is more prone to DPF issues. Happy shopping time ahead
I didn't really go into enough details of this. In case you or anyone is aware as to which cars being discussed has which, please share. I suppose 2.0 liter ones will be with NSC and 1.5 and below with SCR.

Last edited by Poitive : 16th December 2021 at 00:28.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks