Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2021, 04:45   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 45
Thanked: 63 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
I wouldn't take an early call on this. Crysta fit the bill perfectly IMO. I had the same apprehensions when i brought one but everything has been dismissed since I have started using it regularly. It is bulky for sure but for city driving it is same as any other SUV you have shortlisted. Parking is an issue at you cant squeeze it in to tight spaces. I have the AT one and it is completely fuzz free.
For long drives, i don't think any other car-suv-muv can beat the Crysta.
It is a bit expensive but if you look the preowned route, you may get a good deal plus you have the mental peace of reliability that only the Crysta offers you.
I second this opinion.The Crysta is only a little longer than the Honda City and hence the apprehensions about it being unwieldy in the city are perhaps misplaced.The oodles of space and sorted suspension this MPV offers would make it the ideal car for your stated needs.The famed ownership experience offered by Toyota is the bonus.You can give it serious thought.
Narendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 10:30   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: India
Posts: 57
Thanked: 92 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
The Tucson scoring 0 stars in the Latin NCAP has nothing to do with its build quality, but has to do with missing safety features. The base model sold in Latin America is very bare bones compared to the one available in India. Over there, it comes with only 2 airbags, no ESC and no 3-point seat belt for the rear middle passenger. Hyundai also didn't recommend a Child Restraint System (CRS) for the car loosing it more points. Some of these factors made it an automatic 0 stars.
In short, the Latin-NCAP rating doesn't apply to the car sold in India.
Based upon test reports of Latin and Euro NCAP, the missing features on car sent to LatinNCAP for adult occupation rating were selt belt pretensioner and load limiter for rear passenger. That cannot explain the 30% score deviation of Latin from Euro assuming its a CKD kit for both cars. The kerb weight is different as well if you notice carefully. There is already a thread on chasis of Seltos SP2 and SP2i. Koreans needs to treat India at par with other countries when it comes to safety.
Turbojet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 15:40   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 1,220
Thanked: 2,790 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narendranath View Post
I second this opinion.The Crysta is only a little longer than the Honda City and hence the apprehensions about it being unwieldy in the city are perhaps misplaced.The oodles of space and sorted suspension this MPV offers would make it the ideal car for your stated needs.The famed ownership experience offered by Toyota is the bonus.You can give it serious thought.
Than you for your views, Narendra. I did consider the Innova Crysta after @superchamp shared his experience. (points in my quoted post below), and after your post checked dimensions yet again. It is significantly longer and wider than the Honda City, however in terms of width, which I give more consideration to, it is lesser than the Hector, Harrier and XUV700 ! Rather long though. Considering the width, maybe I should reconsider it, and try to get over the mental block I have of driving an MPV regularly (a tough one, this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
I wouldn't take an early call on this. Crysta fit the bill perfectly IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Thank you for your views, superchamp. I really do appreciate the Innova Crysta a lot. Always have,
How does the acceleration feel? What about handling, sense of control, and brake feel?

I've been using the CarDekho app/site for basic stats, and it shows an ARAI milage of only 12kmpl. I suspect it is wrong. For Harrier/Hector/Cimpass I'm expecting 12-13.5 in the city as I have little bumper to bumper use.

What is the expected milage in the city for the Crysta?
.

Last edited by Poitive : 17th December 2021 at 15:48. Reason: Formatting
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 16:07   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 356 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

I can help you with this. Mine is an Innova Crysta 2017 Z AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
How does the acceleration feel? What about handling, sense of control, and brake feel?

Acceleration is smooth and the 2.8 Ltr will floor you. It has a Power mode which drastically changes the behaviour. Brakes are adequate and in spite of the rear drum, haven't faced any issue with hard breaking as well.
The steering feels pretty weighted and responsive on the road north of 100 KMs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I've been using the CarDekho app/site for basic stats, and it shows an ARAI milage of only 12kmpl. I suspect it is wrong. For Harrier/Hector/Cimpass I'm expecting 12-13.5 in the city as I have little bumper to bumper use.

What is the expected milage in the city for the Crysta?
.
I have done multiple calculations for the mileage. Tankful method was used and the average has been around 12 in Bangalore City so far. I have done multiple long drives on highways and have returned an average of 16 KMPL in NH and around 15 in State highways.
superchamp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 00:09   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 1,220
Thanked: 2,790 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
I can help you with this. Mine is an Innova Crysta 2017 Z AT
Thanks for the inputs, superchamp mate. Alas the 2.8 would only be in a per owned one (a route I'm very reluctant to take), and will have to manage with the 2.4 one.

The fuel efficiency is impressive for a vehicle of it's size and bulk, especially as it is an AT. Can expect +1 kmpl on manual, so at par or even slightly better than what one might expect for Harrier/Hector/Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojet View Post
There is already a thread on chasis of Seltos SP2 and SP2i. Koreans needs to treat India at par with other countries when it comes to safety.
The take away from the whole thing is that we shouldn't take crash ratings from other countries at face value and get into the details of what exactly was tested and how. T-Bhpian @ron178 has written quite extensively on the subject on the forum. The kind of cost cutting in such matters (chassis/frame) is sad, but companies really respond to what sells in a market. Those who didn't packed their bags and left (well, of course there are a host of reasons for that to happen).

In other news, a few messages about a possible wave of Corona coming up again built some urgency in me and I managed to test drive the Mahindra XUV700. Will share my impressions as soon as I'm able to pen them down in the right mood; likely in a day or two.

Last edited by Poitive : 18th December 2021 at 00:37. Reason: Minor improvements. Added reply to turbojet
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 11:29   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: India
Posts: 57
Thanked: 92 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
In other news, a few messages about a possible wave of Corona coming up again built some urgency in me and I managed to test drive the Mahindra XUV700. Will share my impressions as soon as I'm able to pen them down in the right mood; likely in a day or two.
I have taken test drive of XUV700, Compass is in a different league with its impeccable road grip and braking. As per the available video XUV 700 was toppled in the crash test on a side impact which means there is a high rollover risk in case of oversteering or otherwise. The crash test of international version of made in India compass has no such issue but again unless Indian version gets tested nothing can be certain.
Turbojet is offline  
Old 18th December 2021, 14:52   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 1,220
Thanked: 2,790 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojet View Post
As per the available video XUV 700 was toppled in the crash test on a side impact...
Could you please share the link to the said video, Turbojet mate. I actually felt some similarities in the drive experience of the two (more on that in the TD report later).
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 15:46   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: India
Posts: 57
Thanked: 92 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Could you please share the link to the said video, Turbojet mate. I actually felt some similarities in the drive experience of the two (more on that in the TD report later).


Go to 1:00 and observe wheels on the impact side being elevated after impact. After this test a detailed behind the scene video was released on social media , in which ORV on other side was broken which could only happen if the car toppled. This is not my observation but based upon inputs provided by someone on the xuv700 thread at team bhp
Turbojet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 07:33   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 174
Thanked: 252 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Congrats on owning one of my favourite cars, the most understated e

1. Hope you have also factored in the +5 years life cycle for the Taigun over others in the copf-bs6-diesel-answered-diesel-calibration-engineer.html"] ninjanayak[/url]
I am going to get the car registered out of Delhi. So life will be 15 years and i plan to sell before the car will reach 10.

I was at work in an offshore location and just returned home. There was a Kushaq at the Mumbai airport. I checked it out but it felt really small from inside. It gave me a feeling of just a bigger/premium hatchback. So Taigun/Kushaq are out of question no matter what engine etc they have.

Gotta TD Jeep and Harrier. Jeep sales representative is trying to push compass really hard. Also giving discounts and all. Currently the price gap for me between Harrier XZA+Dark and Compass limited 2.0 MT has narrowed down to just 1 lacs. That has given me the confusion. Let's this week after TD.
Metallicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 07:58   #70
BHPian
 
greyhound82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: TVM-TIR-DL
Posts: 211
Thanked: 1,163 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Gotta TD Jeep and Harrier. Jeep sales representative is trying to push compass really hard. Also giving discounts and all. Currently the price gap for me between Harrier XZA+Dark and Compass limited 2.0 MT has narrowed down to just 1 lacs. That has given me the confusion. Let's this week after TD
Automatic is a boon in traffic and even for long trips it will help a lot to cover kms with out much effort and fatigue. Considering the clutch to be on heavier side for Compass, try considering automatic counterparts of both
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 09:39   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 49 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Currently the price gap for me between Harrier XZA+Dark and Compass limited 2.0 MT has narrowed down to just 1 lacs. That has given me the confusion. Let's this week after TD.
Wait what? 1L? Can I ask which version of Jeep you are comparing with?
Diesel versions seem out of budget for me and am even considering the petrol. Any thoughts on this too good sir?
Saint_Krish is offline  
Old 19th December 2021, 10:30   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 174
Thanked: 252 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
Wait what? 1L? Can I ask which version of Jeep you are comparing with?
Diesel versions seem out of budget for me and am even considering the petrol. Any thoughts on this too good sir?
Jeep Compass limited 2.0 MT vs Harrier XZA+DARK.
Metallicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 10:51   #73
BHPian
 
irdevanand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 344
Thanked: 920 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Jeep Compass limited 2.0 MT vs Harrier XZA+DARK.
Are you sure? I checked in carwale now and it shows more than 1 L difference? Attaching the picture. BTW in carwale it shows LIMITED (O) and there is no LIMITED. Are we missing something?

Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorpio N-screen-shot-20211219-10.47.42-am.png

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is online now  
Old 19th December 2021, 12:20   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 174
Thanked: 252 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Are you sure? I checked in carwale now and it shows more than 1 L difference? Attaching the picture. BTW in carwale it shows LIMITED (O) and there is no LIMITED. Are we missing something?

Attachment 2246782

Regards
Dev
I am talking about limited (O) only. I am getting it registered in Chandigarh where registration is only 90k INR. I am getting discount on ex showroom prices due to the nature of my job. So in the end Jeep compass limited (o) 2.0 MT + insurance (70k) + RTO + handling + TCS + accessories (25k INR) + EW (40k) = 22.3 Lacs. Harrier I am getting for 21 lacs but without accessories. Tata dealer might give some discount when I meet him face to face.
Metallicar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 21:28   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 1,220
Thanked: 2,790 Times
Re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L (Spacious, Urban) DRIVEN: Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector /Plus, Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojet View Post
After this test a detailed behind the scene video was released on social media , in which ORV on other side was broken which could only happen if the car toppled.
Found the video from Car and Bike, which shows the XUV700 actually toppling over. It is not shown as any hush hush thing, and has been discussed in the video, and a 5 star rating still been given as per their rules. An interesting aspect to consider about the XUV700 and also the testing protocol.

Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700, Kicks, Scorpio N-xuv700-gncap-side-impact-topple.jpg

Link to video:

Last edited by Poitive : 19th December 2021 at 21:33. Reason: Formatting.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks