Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2022, 16:29   #106
BHPian

re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Driven Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700 & Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Replacing the Optra Magnum...Please share your thoughts.[/i]
Very well put Poitive!! I am also, sort of, in the same boat as you are but couldn't have written it down any better!! Am currently driving a Scorpio but want to buy a new car as I have driven it for more than 10 years and want to drive a new car now.

I am looking to keep the car for at least 10 years and want to go on long drives/in the hills etc. so am looking for a Diesel AT although my monthly usage is not even 100 kms. My kids have grown taller than me and wouldn't fit in the 3rd row so a 7 seater is ruled out and I am now looking for a 4-5 seater. And not to be left behind, I booked an XUV700 AX5 Diesel AT before I test drove it!!

I also test drove Taigun/Kicks but found them to be a little small/unsafe for highway trips/excursions. Don't want to look at Hector, given its China angle, and Innova as it looks like a Van to me. Creta/Seltos/S-Cross have question marls on their Safety and XUV 300 doesn't have a proper AT (it has an AMT)

So, in essence, I have to choose between a Harrier and an XUV700 AX5. But recently a friend of mine in Automotive Industry told me about the software issues coming up in XUV700 which has made me to think again.

Last edited by JKBKS : 2nd January 2022 at 16:35.
Old 2nd January 2022, 17:30   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Choosing an SUV up to 22L | Driven Seltos, Harrier / Safari, Hector Plus, Compass, XUV700 & Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
So, in essence, I have to choose between a Harrier and an XUV700 AX5. But recently a friend of mine in Automotive Industry told me about the software issues coming up in XUV700 which has made me to think again.
None of those cars will survive the distance if you drive it like a Scorpio on the hills

Wait for the new Scorpio - my sources tell me that it would be very well worth it, good things come to those who wait , of course.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 17:45   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
None of those cars will survive the distance if you drive it like a Scorpio on the hills

Wait for the new Scorpio - my sources tell me that it would be very well worth it, good things come to those who wait , of course.
I am aware of the new Scorpio being launched but its ride will be on the rugged side as compared to XUV700/Harrier's ride. And I am about to turn 50 so want to have some comfort while driving. As it will be my last IC car, I wanted something that is car-like to drive. Scorpio will be there in any case as I will be keeping it too
Old 2nd January 2022, 21:50   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- true but primarily the target audience, they wouldn't dare to touch the Golf GTI or any of its signature traits since the target customers are more mature and niche. So would've been the case with the Jetta but was probably worth the risk due to low sales and non niche category.
- True the Taigun and the Tiguan especially.
From an auto-maker's perspective, it makes sense to create brands and sub-brands (of models of their cars) as it helps attract and retain customers; and to not touch much of what works, and play around with what they think can work better. I get what you're saying, mate.

- Yes! Those were the ones in my mind. Also how variants are named! Could be more logical. Also less similar. Look at Hector - they have all variants starting with the same letter 'S'. Easy to mix up.

Quote:
Exactly that, GM's usual lineup is North America specific and to an extent the western world including mid east. Daewoo products gave them meaningful presence in Asian markets.
As you said before, a good acquisition for GM.

Quote:
Agree I was talking about getting something a size bigger so that the front seats work for you and the rear isn't cramped, hence the disclaimer for cost since that might be venturing into the European territory
Just that that territory often comes at a much more expensive range. As you roughly said in other words before: life can be simpler with a smaller size

Quote:
Any currently available cars that you've been driven in which were a good fit regardless of sedan/hatch/suv.
In the sub-40L category, acceptable comfort for casual use: Innova/Crysta, Hector, Superb, Passat, Octavia, City, Seltos, Scorpio, Ertiga, i10/20, Corolla Altis, Camary and some more. Some were primarily in the front seat, some mainly in the rear. Also that one is less forgiving for a car one expects to use daily for a long time ahead.

Quote:
Very well put Poitive!! I am also, sort of, in the same boat as you are but couldn't have written it down any better!! Am currently driving a Scorpio but want to buy a new car as I have driven it for more than 10 years and want to drive a new car now.

I am looking to keep the car for at least 10 years and want to go on long drives/in the hills etc. so am looking for a Diesel AT although my monthly usage is not even 100 kms. My kids have grown taller than me and wouldn't fit in the 3rd row so a 7 seater is ruled out and I am now looking for a 4-5 seater. And not to be left behind, I booked an XUV700 AX5 Diesel AT before I test drove it!!

I also test drove Taigun/Kicks but found them to be a little small/unsafe for highway trips/excursions. Don't want to look at Hector, given its China angle, and Innova as it looks like a Van to me. Creta/Seltos/S-Cross have question marls on their Safety and XUV 300 doesn't have a proper AT (it has an AMT)

Quote:
I am aware of the new Scorpio being launched but its ride will be on the rugged side as compared to XUV700/Harrier's ride. And I am about to turn 50 so want to have some comfort while driving. As it will be my last IC car, I wanted something that is car-like to drive. Scorpio will be there in any case as I will be keeping it too
Thanks, mate The idea was that a collective resource might get built with everyone pooling in with their thoughts and Test Drive experiences. Opinions on different cars by the came person adds value, IMO. It is a better comparison than reading reports by different individuals. Hope to hear more on the Tiagun and Kicks you checked.

With your low usage, I'm surprised you didn't go for a petrol XUV700, with the immense torque and power it provides. I find it a pity that the 5 seater versions have not been given due attention. They don't even have a rear centre armrest even in the highest available variant! I take it as a lost opportunity by Mahindra. They could well have made a lavish 5 seater premium version, and have less of a people mover feel. It could have a sliding rear bench for more lavish legroom than the 7 seater version, with reclining seats and so on.

Back to your SUV choice. When Shancz brought up the Scorpio before, I had similar apprehensions - that the ride might not be good enough, besides the apprehension of taking an early batch of a car (especially Tata-Mahindra). Based on the TDs, I expect both XUV and Harrier to do well on the suspension front on bends on hills.

As my recent post(s) on the XUV700 makes me think, not everyone related to the 'feel of a steering'. If it is mainly about hardness-softness, then the XUV700 would be good enough. But if steering feel is important to you and you relate to it, the XUV is totally devoid of it, and the Harrier is likely to be a lot more satisfying; especially on bends.

If the ergonomics of the Harrier work for you, and NVH isn't bothersome, the Harrier might make a better partner, also considering it has been in the market longer.

I don't dismiss the Hector as a "Chinese product", especially after experiencing it. It is a competent and well thought out product. It is a matter of what fits whom. For someone looking for a comfort based experience, it is one worth checking. For someone regularly on the hills, it might not be a great buy though, considering it's soft suspension and increased bodyroll felt more in the rear bench.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 07:36   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also that one is less forgiving for a car one expects to use daily for a long time ahead.
Agree, the general perception is that we take a lot of time in selecting if we don't know what we want but IMO we take even longer time in selection if we know exactly what we want and can't find anything close enough.
Especially if its something which we'll experience everyday for years.

As for the SUV, based only on reviews I would club the Kushaq, Taigun and the S-Cross in same category based on driving dynamics alone with a clear edge to the twins
on power(1.5 TSi) and modernity. The S-Cross update, whenever it comes isn't going to change the dimensions much but the powertrain.
Space and seating remains to be checked but only after you get back to the TDs post the surge.

Stay Safe.
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:47   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As my recent post(s) on the XUV700 makes me think, not everyone related to the 'feel of a steering'. If it is mainly about hardness-softness, then the XUV700 would be good enough. But if steering feel is important to you and you relate to it, the XUV is totally devoid of it, and the Harrier is likely to be a lot more satisfying; especially on bends.
Harrier / Safari steering is perhaps very well detailed in their own respective threads, it is heavy at low speeds and unpredictable as the speed goes up.

Steering does not function on its own , the entire suspension setup has to play along, else you will get that feeling like in a sedan where you have 5 passengers and a few bags of coconut in the boot.

Take the XUV to the hills, you would love it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:44   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Harrier / Safari steering is perhaps very well detailed in their own respective threads, it is heavy at low speeds and unpredictable as the speed goes up.

Steering does not function on its own , the entire suspension setup has to play along, else you will get that feeling like in a sedan where you have 5 passengers and a few bags of coconut in the boot.

Yes, XUV700 is more pleasurable to drive with car like dynamics as compared to heavy truck like dynamics of Harrier. No offence to Harrier owners but XUV700 trumps Harrier overall.

Last edited by Turbojet : 3rd January 2022 at 11:46.
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:02   #113
BHPian

Quote:
It is a better comparison than reading reports by different individuals. Hope to hear more on the Tiagun and Kicks you checked.With your low usage, I'm surprised you didn't go for a petrol XUV700, with the immense torque and power it provides. Back to your SUV choice. I don't dismiss the Hector as a "Chinese product", especially after experiencing it. It is a competent and well thought out product.
I drove both Taigun 1.0 and 1.5 ltr AT with 5 people in it!! Although the cars are fine when driving normally, I could sense slight Turbo lag when accelerating in both the cars with the effect more prominent in the 1 ltr engine. This should be fine for most people but my driving style is still on the aggressive side and I sometimes overtake with fine margins when head-on traffic is present. This could result in a tricky situation on a highway at least for me. Another issue with 1.5 ltr is that it has DSG that could be troublesome per our experts here. Then Taigun's smaller size does not inspire enough confidence if one is looking to go on a long trips frequently. I didn't find any other issues with Taigun.
Now on to Kicks. Actually I have always liked Duster for its looks, ride/handling and perfect size (neither small nor large) and would have bought 1.3 ltr turbo Petrol if its interiors were not that dated. Kicks is the same with newer/better interiors. Only issue is with its quirky looks that i cant stand for long. Otherwise there is no issue with Kicks. Its CVT works fine and is no TC but I could have worked with it!!

A dear friend is a senior purchasing exec in Automotive industry and I went by his feedback reg components quality in Hector. Chinese origin is my theory but i don't think it will be a factor in the long run . This guy told me to go ahead with XUV700 booking but his latest feedback is to wait and watch given number of software related problems coming up

Another friend has a 15 month old Harrier and has done 15k on it already with couple of Delhi-Bangalore trips thrown in. He swears by its ride/handling, highway performance and consistent high speed (at 140-150 kmph) stability.

As for not going ahead with Petrol, the torque in XUV700 is only 250nm and ard 450n,m in diesel version. The cost difference is ard 60k i think between diesel and petrol variants. This shdnt matter if one intends to keep a car for 10+ years. And from my Scorpio exp., I feel one may not see much of a difference in torque figures when driving in plains/highways but this will be visible when accelerating on inclines/hills with a loaded car. So thats why i want to buy a Diesel AT. Sorry for the long post!

Last edited by JKBKS : 3rd January 2022 at 14:04.
JKBKS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:26   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- but IMO we take even longer time in selection if we know exactly what we want and can't find anything close enough.
Especially if its something which we'll experience everyday for years.

- As for the SUV, based only on reviews I would club the Kushaq, Taigun and the S-Cross in same category based on driving dynamics alone...

- Space and seating remains to be checked but only after you get back to the TDs post the surge.

Stay Safe.
- Much agree. Knowing less can often be an advantage in life!

- In terms of road presence, the one time I saw a Taigun I thought it was kind of large. It was a pretty brief view, and I now wonder if I misread Tiguan as Taigun . Damn the nomenclature!

- Not sure what should be TD next. Duster/Kicks, perhaps. Don't know. The VAG twins seem small based on comments. Many find them smaller than the Korean twins, which isn't encouraging.
Thanks.

Quote:
It is differing views on subjective matters which make a forum read interesting. Could you please point us to your test drive reports, mate. It might help many readers of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojet View Post
Yes, XUV700 is more pleasurable to drive with car like dynamics as compared to heavy truck like dynamics of Harrier. No offence to Harrier owners but XUV700 trumps Harrier overall.
I liked both of them, but in different ways. Comparable, while being very different. I guess a lot also depends on what one is used to and what one expects. To me, the XUV700 felt like a heavier vehicle, but softer to control. Harrier felt more direct and involving in it's feel. The brutish and smooth engine of the XUV700 would be enjoyable by all, I'd imagine.

Quote:
- I drove both Taigun 1.0 and 1.5 ltr AT with 5 people in it!!

-but my driving style is still on the aggressive side and I sometimes overtake with fine margins when head-on traffic is present.

- Now on to Kicks.

- A dear friend is a senior purchasing exec in Automotive industry and I went by his feedback reg components quality in Hector.

- This guy told me to go ahead with XUV700 booking but his latest feedback is to wait and watch given number of software related problems coming up

- Another friend has a 15 month old Harrier and has done 15k on it already with couple of Delhi-Bangalore trips thrown in. He swears by its ride/handling, highway performance and consistent high speed (at 140-150 kmph) stability.

- As for not going ahead with Petrol, the torque in XUV700 is only 250nm and ard 450n,m in diesel version.

- And from my Scorpio exp., I feel one may not see much of a difference in torque figures when driving in plains/highways but this will be visible when accelerating on inclines/hills with a loaded car. So thats why i want to buy a Diesel AT.
- Thanks for sharing your experience with the Taigun and Kicks, JKBKS mate. Coming from a Scorpio, the 1.0 not working for you is hardly a surprise, but imagined the 1.5 to be more impressive. In my case, I have generally tried to keep the car just into the turbo range, and have rarely felt an issue with turbo-lag when many other's have complained. It allows one to 'shoot' as needed.

- I also relate to your idea of tight overtakes, with a lot of my earlier year's driving having been on undivided highways. This is another of the reasons I only feel at ease with a manual transmission. To not get another unknown of when a gear might be changed by the auto - god forbid at the wrong time during such an overtake; worse so in the hills.

- I too find the Kicks a little odd looking. More like an expanded hatch. However, if all else works, might just overlook that aspect. How did you find the suspension setup in terms of ride and handling? Any idea how it compares to the old famed Duster's independent suspension setup before they dropped it? Pardon my asking as many questions. I do so because with Corona around, one needs to minimize TDs, and also ask for the readers of the thread (many who would not be members, and might have similar concerns).

- In case it is okay to share more about your friend's comments about component quality on the Hector, it would help. As of now, that is the one with least deal-breakers in my case. Totally understandable, in case it is inconvenient to share.

- Based only on low to mid-speed test drives, as mentioned in them, the Harrier would be my pick for the highway, so am not at all surprised with your friend's experience.

- Mate, please recheck the petrol XUV700's torque figures. AFAIK, fit is 380Nm for petrol, with Diesel at 420Nm for MT and 450Nm for AT. It is the VW twins which are 250Nm in their 1.5 liter avatars. I do agree with your logic of the extra spend being over a long period and it being seen as a non-issue. Petrol does give higher peak power too, though I suspect it'd hardly be used such.

Quote:
Sorry for the long post!
Long well thought out posts are a delight in times of quick tweet post-count based readings. Please feel free to share in as long and elaborate manner as you please.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:56   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Not sure what should be TD next.
VAG twins aren't very large on the outside but I have read that their rear cabin space isn't very far from the Tiguan but will it work for you, not sure.

Kicks won't work IMO, I have seen one from the outside (didn't sit though) but didn't stand out as a spacious car, you'll be better off with the S-Cross in this regard.
Its roof slopes back quite unlike a SUV and has 210mm ground clearance so the space in between seems limited which you need.
Plus I am not confident about its future in India.

Duster might work but its older than I would prefer a new car to be. I have travelled in the rear seat of the Duster but didn't find it very spacious.

Last edited by shancz : 3rd January 2022 at 20:58.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 00:09   #116
BHPian

I sat in a Taigun and Kushaq. Both felt smaller from inside and not worth 19 L for the kind of interior they were providing. They are good if you want to seat only 4 passengers. Boot is not that large either.
Metallicar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 11:17   #117
BHPian

Quote:
- Much agree. Knowing less can often be an advantage in life!
- Not sure what should be TD next. Duster/Kicks, perhaps. I liked both of them, but in different ways.
- I also relate to your idea of tight overtakes, with a lot of my earlier year's driving having been on undivided highways.
- In case it is okay to share more about your friend's comments about component quality on the Hector, it would help.
Based only on low to mid-speed test drives, as mentioned in them, the Harrier would be my pick for the highway, so am not at all surprised with your friend's experience.

- Mate, please recheck the petrol XUV700's torque figures. AFAIK, fit is 380Nm for petrol, with Diesel at 420Nm for MT and 450Nm for AT. It is the VW twins which are 250Nm in their 1.5 liter avatars. I do agree with your logic of the extra spend being over a long period and it being seen as a non-issue. Petrol does give higher peak power too, though I suspect it'd hardly be used such.
Duster and Kicks share same underpinnings so their driving behavior is very similar. I like Duster's shape but Kicks more modern interiors. Wish Duster had similar interiors. I then would have easily bought the Duster!! Now theirs news of current Duster being discontinued so there it goes...My aggressive driving style is what is keeping me from going in for ADAS/Tech systems as they might prove more of a hinderance than help during tight overtakes. And if i have to drive with ADAS off then the point of paying huge money for that is another thought that is with me.

Just checked and you are right on XUV700 Petrol specs and i will give it a thought but I have a Diesel bias and price diff between similar price and diesel variants (AX5 AT) is only 60k so lets see if could convince myself about this

Reg Hector components quality, my friend told me this in passing and i didn't question him further since I was never interested in it and that is his expertise, given 30+ years of experience in this field. And this conversation is at least a year old so things might have improved. Who knows!!

On another note, I will be getting a comparo done between XUV700, to be launched New Scorpio and the Current Scorpio just to so how much of of difference is between New Scorpio and XUV700 in terms of ride/handling and comfort. I know both will be far better than my current scorpio but it will give me a good idea on relative strength of XUV700 and new Scorpio. And I might switch to new Scorpio if its not too much of a difference (on the things i like in my car) and I could get a 4x4 or AWD in the bargain.

Last edited by JKBKS : 4th January 2022 at 11:25.
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 21:47   #118
BHPian

Hey guys.. just wanted to update that I eventually ended up buying a Jeep Compass Limited Diesel MT. I couldn't buy a creta or the vdubs.. Loving the jeep so far.. yes the rattling has come up and i think its from the dashboard windscreen vents. Heard a bit of foam tape should do the trick. But that isn't really bothering me and I am just enjoying the beautiful 2 L diesel to the core now. Will start an ownership thread soon. Thanks.
Saint_Krish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 21:35   #119
BHPian

Sold almost new Kia Seltos. Now Adventure with EV or the reliable Innova

It’s just 3 stars and scores very poor on child safety. One thought and the amazing ownership experience of my Kia Seltos HTK+ D AT had started turning sour. Here’s what I loved and disliked and why I sold my car after a year and only 10000kms on the odo. Now sitting on the fence to decide on a new car. All options from 15 to 25 lakhs are open.

My car
Kia Seltos HTK + D AT
Bought the car in Oct 2020 with self insurance, extend warranty and without the accessories pack from kia for 16.5 lakhs on road in Pune. Upgraded and upsized the tyres from Goodyear to Michelin primacy St 215/65/16 for better ride and purchased 4 year service pack from Kia for 25k.

1. The engine and gearbox. Perfectly suits the car and the NVH is just fantastic.
2. Space for 5. Did a drive to Bengaluru from Pune. No complaints and no fatigue. Ample boot space.
3. Looks. Never got bored of them. Less bling in htk models suited my tastes and the grey colour too. The alloys finished in gun metal also helped.
4. Interiors. Awesome look of the interior. But the build quality is not as great as the looks. More in the dislikes.
5. After sales. Aman Kia motors was very good at solving the minor issues. Car always pulled to the left post delivery. They changed the left front shock under warranty which solved the issue.
6. Handling. The stiff suspension helped here. The steering feedback is good both in city and on highway. Minimal body roll too at corners.

Dislikes
1. The ride quality. Although the tyre upgrade helped to a great extent, the road imperfections always make their presence felt. Maintained a tyre pressure of 30 in city and 32 on highways. The ride quality got liveable.
2. Brakes and The ABS calibration. On rough surfaces the ABS is very sensitive and the brake feels wooden and unresponsive. Complained to KIA but they always assumed this is my first ABS car and replied saying this is how ABS works. Having driven all my cars with abs from swift, Fabia, jetta, Vento, Audi A4 and Q5, I never felt such behaviour with ABS.
3. Build quality. Having been used to build quality of cars like the A4 and Q5, I was disappointed on this front. The interiors developed minor rattling at the doors, parcel tray and the suspension have got nosier too with more kms.
4. The deal breaker. 3 star crash rating. I was aware I already bought a version with just 2 airbags and no esp (due to availability and budget constraints at the time) but the unstable body threw the ball out of the park. This was also backed by the deteriorating build quality as more kms were covered.

The sale and advent of EV
I still decided to keep the car due to limited availability of new cars and having mostly city use with one long distance trip in 6 months. Being in aviation I prefer flying to most places where my airline flew which it does almost to every city in India. Then came two things at the same time
1. The rise in fuel prices and
2. The focus on EV and general acceptability with subsidy, noiseless cockpit, low running costs and a suitability to my use of mostly in city.
The final nail in the coffin came when I received an irresistible deal for my Seltos. Explained all the reasons for not liking the car but guess the long waiting periods of all cars helped my case. Sold it at 16 lakhs. That’s roughly 1 lakh less than what it costed me with the tyre upgrade a year back and after using the car for 10000 kms. Although a service pack for 4 years, tyre upgrade and extended warranty seemed like a fair deal for the buyer.

So here I am using a beater amaze diesel in the family until I get a new car. We are a family of 3 and very soon to be 4. We do travel once in a while with parents too for dinners, get together, weddings and one odd trip in 6 months. I request all with their experiences and inputs to come to a decision. Here are the options I have tried

1. NEXON EV
I am just hooked onto the idea of EVs. I can charge at home and can rent a car for long drives. Agreed there are some issues but I have a Tata dealership in the family which should fare better than for others. Test drive experience was in line with expectations. Noiseless cockpit, low running costs, better ride and handling package than the Seltos, better sounding music system and 5 star rated. Although the ev misses on esp which should alter the safety rating. Lack of cruise control is also a big omission in ev. Another con is the general lack of finesse with Tata cars. (The test drive cars were a proof). With subsidies in place the xz+ should cost about 15 lakhs on road with accessories. Will be an outright purchase. This is the top of my list.

2. Innova Crysta GX AT
Pros-One car for all. Buy it and don’t have to think of a new car for at least 7 to 8 years. Reliable and comfortable for all. I might even undertake more road trips if I buy this car.
Cons- Running costs with single digit mileage in city.
Cumbersome to drive in city. (Although it’s a matter of getting used to).
Spartan Interiors and lack of upmarket feel inside than the competition. On road price in pune is around 25 lakhs now. This would be on loan so will turn out even more expensive with interest. I am also considering buying an electric scooter for errands so the running costs would likely be balanced.

MG ZS EV facelift 2022
All the positives of EVs minus the negatives of the nexon ev. Expected better range and a global product sold in many countries outside with good reliability. With practical range of around 400 kms and more acceptable to DC fast charging than the nexon, this is close to replacing the ice vehicles.
Con- Price. No subsidy and with bigger battery the expected on road price will be close to 27 lakhs on road in Pune.

Hyundai Creta SX O D AT
I know the body structure is shared with Seltos but with 6 airbags and other safety features I am assuming this should fare better in safety. Budget permits extending to the top version. All the likes of my previous car is bettered with slightly better nvh, smoother gear transitions in eco mode and the famous plethora of features. The suspensions felt smoother than the Seltos and the build quality too. Thoroughly modern car with great resale. Better options for after sales with Hyundai network second best in the country. On road price 21.5 lakhs with a facelift coming soon which should touch 23 lakhs. This will be on loan again.

Kia Sonet gtx at
The iffy build quality and safety concerns still hold. But again with 6 airbags and more safety features than my previous car, this car also suits all my requirements barring the one odd long distance trip where I can rent a car. The nvh is a level down to Seltos but the suspension is more accommodating. Less space is a major con. On road price around 16 lakhs. This will be an outright purchase.

Other options not in contention
1. Tata safari. Putting a fight to innova is this price range still has some way to go for Tata. Lack of boot space with three rows, not as good a resale like innova and long term reliability is still unknown. Moreover for a car costing between 24 to 28 lakhs on road for the xta and xza models, more finesse is required. The steering felt disconnected. Heavy at low speeds and light at high speeds. The infotainment system still feels behind time and lack of boot space with three rows limits the use on long trips which in essence defeats the purpose of buying a car in this price bracket.
2. Tata harrier. Solid build and suspension but 2.5 lakhs over the top end creta does not seem justifiable with many niggles reported by existing owners.
3. XUV 700. Did I hear a waiting period of 1 year plus? Also the test drive was not as good as the media reports. I felt the ride quality below the harrier /safari. The dealers are already seen developing an attitude and I don’t know how they would handle the new gizmos in the service centre.
4. Thar. Impractical in the current form to be a primary car. More than the ev as well.
5. Used Q3/X1. The high waiting period of new cars have driven the used car prices unreasonably high. After using the Q5 I want to avoid the high maintenance costs.
6. No petrol cars. With EVs blooming I see very little sense in buying a petrol suv giving single digit fuel economy with petrol prices only expected to increase. The price of a Honda city gets the diesel sonet. Creta diesel is available in Kushaq and Taigun prices.

I can wait for the 2022 Creta(expected in March) and the MG ZS EV facelift before the decision process. All your valuable inputs are welcomed. Thank you.
Sagar.Agarwal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 22:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sold almost new Kia Seltos. Now Adventure with EV or the reliable Innova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagar.Agarwal View Post
scores very poor on child safety
A large part of the Kia Seltos' poor rating for child occupant protection was the fact that Kia refused to recommend a child restraint to use in the test. The child protection rating is always for a combination of the car and the recommended child restraints, so when the manufacturer does not recommend one, the dynamic test score (based on dummy readings) is considered zero and it raises serious questions about the level of attention the manufacturer pays to child occupant protection. Even with the restraints that Global NCAP picked themselves (Chicco Key Fit Group 0 and Chicco Cosmos Group 1) it showed poor protection to the three year-old's head.

I am not sure what CRS/what group you use but in case you have an i-Size child restraint (I believe some of the Britax-Römer ones on sale in India are i-Size approved, not sure about others) then you might want to consider the Toyota Innova and the MG ZS EV which have i-Size approved anchorages which reduces the risk of incorrect installation when compared to standard ISOFIX anchorages. Find out more here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagar.Agarwal View Post
better sounding music system and 5 star rated. Although the ev misses on esp which should alter the safety rating.
The Tata Nexon EV does not share the 5-star adult protection rating of the ICE version. In any NCAP, full-scale frontal offset and side pole tests must be repeated to extend the rating to a hybrid or EV version. Tata did not sponsor a test on the Nexon EV voluntarily and Global NCAP has not yet been able to test it out of their own funds.

ESC is not part of Global NCAP's evaluations yet (it will be starting July) so it would not make a difference to the rating even if it was valid for the EV, but yes, ESC is a very important safety system and not having it might be a deal-breaker.

I am not well qualified to help you with the rest but good luck with your purchase.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks