Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 08:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirlp View Post
Interesting observation.

Others, comments ?

So, how is the going rate for second hand safari in comparison to other models/make ?
3.0L Dicors are a good choice. The issue is finding a good one like one maintained by Steeroid. 50k, no rattles etc.
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:13   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BMW77 : Does it mean that you won't find any buyer after 4 years for your Safari?
sudhirlp : Interesting observation. Others, comments ?
It's just that we are at a particular point in time & space where the 4 year old TCIC just happens to be two generations old.

If you find a 3.0 Dicor, & it is well maintained, then I would say go for it. Else, the 2.2VTT is the way to go today.
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Dont think too much... coz the more you think the more confused you will be.
New gets you a 4 year warranty and peace of mind.
Secondhand gets you pretty much a lot of headache if you are not lucky.
For most who buy a safari its usually a call of the heart and less of the head.
And if you have your heart set on it then buy new if you can.

As for me, I will be taking delivery of my Ex-4x4 (light gold) later this week.
This is the deal i got - you may find it useful/
HDFC bank 90% finance @10%.
Dealer discount 12000 + 3M anti rust treatment with 4 yr warranty & original 3M teflon.
HDFC has got me bajaj allianz insurance through their tie up for Rs.31655/- as against the dealers printed quote of 38768/-.
So works out to an effective 16000 cash saving minus the freebies.

Good luck with your buy.
Old 2nd April 2008, 09:50   #19
BHPian

Thanks a Ton!

I appreciate and thank each one of you for your valuable inputs regarding this. I would go with buying a NEW SAFARI!

I am currently talking to the sales guys at Concorde & VST motors, Chennai. Will update you soon on the details on the discount & freebies.

With respect to the choice of color, my first preference goes to black and the next is Artic silver.

I know that maintaining a black vehicle is tough. Any inputs on this? Have read something about scratch protection for black vehicle, etc. not sure how tough it would be for a black vehicle.

Thanks Again and will keep you posted on the progress!

Gopal
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
It's just that we are at a particular point in time & space where the 4 year old TCIC just happens to be two generations old.

If you find a 3.0 Dicor, & it is well maintained, then I would say go for it. Else, the 2.2VTT is the way to go today.
What is the general maintainability of TATA product? After 4 years will the niggles cost me a lot. I want to retain my buy for 5+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops View Post
I appreciate and thank each one of you for your valuable inputs regarding this. I would go with buying a NEW SAFARI!

I am currently talking to the sales guys at Concorde & VST motors, Chennai. Will update you soon on the details on the discount & freebies.
Good decision and Congrats. When I enquired about the prices they were giving 10k dealer cash back + 6k corp discount.

They were also hinting at a small price rise due to steel cost raise etc..

Anyways my buy is atleast 3 month away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops View Post
With respect to the choice of color, my first preference goes to black and the next is Artic silver.

I know that maintaining a black vehicle is tough. Any inputs on this? Have read something about scratch protection for black vehicle, etc. not sure how tough it would be for a black vehicle.
Black in Chennai? ... boss you might bake inside. Anyway color choice is personal.. so no further comments.

You may check this excellent thread about car care - on how to maintain

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...esthetics.html

Do ensure you also read in the advice section on pre-delivery checklist.
Old 2nd April 2008, 12:36   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

@gops, Congrats.
Quote:
druva : What is the general maintainability of TATA product? After 4 years will the niggles cost me a lot.
A lot depends on how well it has been used, or how it has been abused. Service your vehicle regularly, maintain it as it should be, and you should not face too many problems.
Quote:
druva : Black in Chennai? ... boss you might bake inside.
Yes, be careful. This can be more painful than maintaining the color & look.Think it over.
Old 2nd April 2008, 13:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

a wise decision gops.

as condor said, the new variant of Safari is a far ahead of it predecessors. just cant wait to see what they might do next to this beast.
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:44   #23
BHPian

Its a great decision Gops.I like tata vechile a lot.First i owned Tata sierra Turbo then a santro(still having) then a scorpio and a tata indigo marina and now iam a proud owner of Black safari lx from december.I have dont bangalore chennai bangalore thrice as of now and no looking back.Done 11000km and this weekend iam driving alone to ooty from bangalore to visit a friend and spend the weekend there while my family is going to chennai.This trip is for my pssion towards my safari(BULL).I have deckedup/charged my Bull fully now.Its great owning a safari.
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
;780662A lot depends on how well it has been used, or how it has been abused. Service your vehicle regularly, maintain it as it should be, and you should not face too many problems.
What you said applies to ALL vehicles. I own my santro for 7 years now. I only visit dealer for the 6 months service. {I have rusting problem - other than that its almost zilch.}

Regarding Safari, after reading the initial reviews, I am gearing myself for the initial niggles. Now when is a reasonable time frame to expect the visits to the dealer come down? Do the niggles settle down after 3rd service? << I still havent got into the long term reviews. I will have to dig there for the answers, right? >>
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:40   #25
BHPian

without any doubt..go for the new 2.2 or if u get the 3.0 Dicor second hand. Both have great common rail engines with good power in the range of 140 bhp. Since you have the money dont even think about the older TCIC. The engine seems underpowered when u see it pull the behemoth.
Old 2nd April 2008, 21:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
...I have rusting problem - other than that its almost zilch...
So! I guess you have been lucky not to have had those light brushes with other vehicles/bikes/cycle rikshaws/small kids with toys in hand going scrrrraaatchchchh, as is so common in large cities, especially Delhi. Unless one lets the car remain in the garage.

Oops, I missed the word 'almost' in your sentence!
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Oops, I missed the word 'almost' in your sentence!
that was below the belt ...

well i was comparing about the niggles...i do have the monuments of city driving. the only 'technical' problem i have is engine raising on its own in neutral.

As I said, I am mentally prepared for Safari. However my family seems to have higher expectations. They are expecting a higher priced car (than Santro) to last longer than it (implies > 7 years and atleast 10). I just grunted yes... l
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:38   #28
anb
BHPian

new safari is better b'cose it got more powerful& refined engine..better tuned suspension,warranty, better build quality
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
that was below the belt ...

well i was comparing about the niggles...i do have the monuments of city driving.
I know...the bonus of driving in the city.

Quote:
As I said, I am mentally prepared for Safari. However my family seems to have higher expectations. They are expecting a higher priced car (than Santro) to last longer than it (implies > 7 years and atleast 10). I just grunted yes... l
Sure! When you reach home from work in the evening, tell them you bought a sedan in the morning but sold it off just before reaching home as it didn't suit you!

And, anyways, Safari will remain L-O-N-G-E-R than any sedan.
Old 2nd April 2008, 23:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If you do decide to go for a used Dicor, TBHP's first Dicor is for sale. I cant stay away from the 2.2 for much longer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks