Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 14:52   #76
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
c) Available - I just cannot seem to find used 2.2s - have been looking for months now!
What is the search result for a 2006 or 2007 Safari 3.0 [sold till Aug/Sept 2007] rather than TCIC - plus still will have warranty for sometime. Safari 3.0 power sure is still a very good one.

Last edited by adc : 20th March 2009 at 14:54.
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:00   #77
BHPian

Friends,

My two cents, here are few tips from an ex TCIC owner, before you decide on a Used Safari TCIC

- Ensure the car is thoroughly checked, but then its a used car, a check might not be 100 % successful but still worth it.
- Its like any other fuel pump based diesel car.
- A well mantained car can touch about 115kmph without much efforts otherwise it will lag behind.
- The turbo kicks in after about 2500rpm or so and this makes the car very slow initially, so that would irritate most of the petrol drivers, til they get used to it.
- Ensure you get a "very good" diesel mechanic, *do not ever depend on TATA Service stations except for emergencies* They charge outrageously for fixing issues related to Gearbox, clutch, engine etc. Even a fuel pump service quote was for about 7k and the job was really sad. I had to then use a contact of mine to get it serviced from a Mico authorised guy for about 2k and it was an excellent job. They are very poor in fixing issues related to clutch and gearbox (they are not doing any good job on the dicor's either) and charges exhorbitant amounts. But i had very good success with a local diesel mechanic (he is very young but talented) and i was really happy.

Overall, its a cheap package with its own small niggles. A well kept specimen won't give much trouble. However, go for this car, if you want more space for cheap and do not want a fast car. (something like a Mahindra jeep or a Sumo) It's easy to maintain, spares are easily available as safari tcic shares some parts with Sumo/207 series of vehicles.
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:25   #78
BHPian

Quote:
do not want a fast car. (something like a Mahindra jeep or a Sumo)
I do not Agree this any more. My TCIC Safari easily crosses 140 at highway and I used to win a SUMO at race.
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:45   #79
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, 115 is quite adequate. If it does 90-110 without stress I'm good! damn, the options keep changing But the Safari is proving to be an elusive beast....
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:53   #80
BHPian

Max speed varies depends on vehicle conditions, i just mentioned a decent figure.

The TCIC isn't a bad buy and i know of some good maintained specimens available for cheap. I wish TATA took some time to fix the turbo issue, (i mean the turbo kicking in after 2500 is sad) then it would have been a good buy and for sure it would have been cheap. Something like the scorpio turbo. But then, only if wishes were true !
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:58   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I'm planning to go in for an old SAFARI. One of the earliest ones, because my budget is meagre.

Have a mechanical bent of mind, so don't mind getting my hands and clothes dirty and making the mechanics my best friends

Shortlisted 2 98 model ones. The first one a light blue one looks like its nearly been to hell and back. All the interior fittings are loose and seem like someone took them out and put them back. The engine was quiet for more than 5 hours, but was still hot when I touched the radiator (means engine
Please avoid Safari TCIC before 2003 as much you can. most of them had quality issues like electrical problems, starter conking off and many more (but this varies from person to person), pay lil more and get the models later than 2003 or 2004. They range from 3-4.5L.

Thanks,
Sunish
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:21   #82
Senior - BHPian

sameer, why dont you just go in for a new TCIC. sonce you do not want to use the safari at insane speeds, and it seems that you are ok with a little sluggishness in the lower gears, always better to pick up a new vehicle.

a decent 3.0 would not cost you less than 6.5 in Bangalore. a new TCIC is about 6.6 ex-showroom, which works out to about 7.3 OTR. Plus you will gets good discounts depending on your bargaining capacity, and a new car is always a safer bet with the 4 year warranty that you will get with it.

Also over the years, TML would surely have improved the TCIC, if nothing else than to make it meet ever tightening emission norms.
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:34   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
I used to win a SUMO at race.
Congratulations! Where was this race and do they do this quite often?
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:24   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Congratulations! Where was this race and do they do this quite often?

+1 . I would like to join this contest if possible...
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:01   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Where was this race and do they do this quite often?
No man, its with my friend's. It may be because my Safari used to stay in the workshop than it with me.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:58   #86
BHPian

Folks,
Purchased the old 04 TCIC bull for 3.35. Got it serviced at Manipal motors . Pushed the price down from 3.5 to 3.35L because of the worn out clutch, need change the clutch system ASAP as its currently very hard and shifting from 1 to 2 is killing me , got a sore back from just 60-70Km of city driving.

Like you guys mentioned, its very sluggesh at <2.5K RPM, just learning the nuances of a diesel engine, used a petrol for the last 10+ yrs.

My wife was commenting that i was driving a flintshone-type vehicle :( .

On hard braking, the pedal is slightly pulsing just like it does when ABS is activated, it it normal for a vacuum assisted system ?

Would appreciate if any one could recommend a good mech. for the clutch master work ? TASS guys were saying the total work would be 12~13 K !!.

Love the vehicle, the engine is very smooth, the suspension is amazing, the comfort is superlative !! planning to take her to Coonoor (my native ) as my first sortie,once the clutch issue is sorted out
Old 30th March 2009, 13:14   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpatrol View Post
Folks,
Purchased the old 04 TCIC bull for 3.35. ...

CP,

Congrats!

Wish you many miles of happy motoring!

Please do take some time and pen down your buying experience, in your own thread.

And do include some photos, while at it.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:15   #88
BHPian

Quote:
need change the clutch system
You can also buy an imported Taiwan Make clutch, its far better then TATA OEM Clutch plate. Don't forget to change the release bearings too.

CLUTCH:

Clutch Plate & Cover (Imported/Korian) – Rs. 3650 + 2465 (Better than OEM)

OEM Clutch Plate & Cover – Rs. 4300 + 3210

Clutch Release bearing: 980

Clutch Release Fork: 280

O/H Labour: 1500 – 2000

Quote:
its very sluggesh at <2.5K RPM
You may consider doing a engine decarb.

Quote:
On hard braking, the pedal is slightly pulsing just like it does when ABS is activated,
Is the brakes becomes like stone, if you pump the brake 4-5 times continuously?
Old 30th March 2009, 13:38   #89
BHPian

Congratulations Cyberpatrol. I come from ooty close to your coonoor. I owned a TCIC Safari too earlier and covered most mountains in south India. You may find your Safari a handful in narrow roads in the ghat roads near our place. I took the Kotagiri route when I went up and came down by the Coonoor - mettupalayam road. In a narrow road, Safari occupies the entire road leaving little space for the oncoming vehicles. Your engine is powerful enough to reverse into the gradient. Only thing is you must have the nerve to back up when you need to.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:46   #90
BHPian

Thanks folks , will post a thread on the buying experience . Btw, used a mahandra mech. who hates TATA vehicles to do the vehicle inspection just what the doctor ordered .

[quote=

You may consider doing a engine decarb.

Is the brakes becomes like stone, if you pump the brake 4-5 times continuously?[/quote]

got a question on the decarb, do i need to just do the flushing or does the cylinder needs to be opened up and manually de-carbed considering that its run ~70K

Mmmm, the brake pedal does not become hard on pumping !! , are you suspecting low pressure on the master ?? , Will check on the brake and revert just to be sure

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks