Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 14:31   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
The next big issue with my wife's taste!
After the Glove box, now she is after the faux wood finish. "She doesn;t like it!" Man!
How do married people buy stuff?!

Is there any way I can stick some later of plastic panels on the wood finished areas. I think the panels used in LX version, the gray ones will do fine. The sales guy has no clue and said he never had handled any such request. I need to source this after market. If anyone has any lead on this, please pass on!
Its tough to convince wives at times. Try what i did. I used to have the autographix faux wood vinyl on the dash of my indica and was really keen to have the same on the safari though she didnt like it a bit. Got them pasted on the safari before she even realized that its not part of the standard equipment. I guess with you its not the case.
Show her this, may be this 'mera waala wood' might go with her taste. its obviously aftermarket but still much better than the standard fitment.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-p1060109.jpg
Old 17th April 2009, 18:12   #32
BHPian

Update

Hi Guys,
There are two recent developments worth mentioning -

1. I got a call from Michelin Sales Office. (I left my name and number through the contact form on their website). I enquired on the website if they have 235/70 R15 LTX A/T. The relevant web page Michelin India - LTX A/T says it is not available on this size.

However, the sales guy assured me that it is indeed available. (Same was told to me by the Tyre dealer also, but I got sceptical due to the website). But the sales guy says that LTX tyres are though very good for off-roading usage, should not be driven at high speed (120-130 kph) on highways.
This info is getting me slightly on the edge as I was under the impression that A/T means all terrain which would as such include Highways as well. Plus the speed rating of this tyre is "S" which I think is suitable for speeds upto 180 kph.

Guys, please give me suggession on this. Especially the LTX users like GTO. As always, thanks in advance.

2. My Tata Motors sales guy mistakenly told me that Tata Motors generates a chassis number soon after the booking is placed. Hence, I started making his life hell asking for the chassis number, so that I could follow up the regional office in case of delivery delays.
I got a call from some senior guy (I Guess Sales Manager) from the showroom who said it is against company policy to share the chassis number before the car is delivered to dealers stock yard.
Has anyone tried this before, I mean trying to procure the chassis number during the waiting period? Please let me know if you have had any experience with such a thing.
As such I don't think I need the chassis number. I am just doing all this to keep a continuing pressure on the showroom people, so that they would want to clear my order ASAP and get rid of me. :-)
I guess I need not be so paranoid!
Old 17th April 2009, 18:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

sen2009,

Since the 4x4 are made to order, why is it difficult for them to share the number. Instead of chassis number, ask them for the VIN number. I think they can share that.
Old 17th April 2009, 20:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi Guys,
There are two recent developments worth mentioning -

1. I got a call from Michelin Sales Office. (I left my name and number through the contact form on their website). I enquired on the website if they have 235/70 R15 LTX A/T. The relevant web page Michelin India - LTX A/T says it is not available on this size.

However, the sales guy assured me that it is indeed available. (Same was told to me by the Tyre dealer also, but I got sceptical due to the website). But the sales guy says that LTX tyres are though very good for off-roading usage, should not be driven at high speed (120-130 kph) on highways.
This info is getting me slightly on the edge as I was under the impression that A/T means all terrain which would as such include Highways as well. Plus the speed rating of this tyre is "S" which I think is suitable for speeds upto 180 kph.

Guys, please give me suggession on this. Especially the LTX users like GTO. As always, thanks in advance.
Regarding the speeds you can do on LTX, you are abolutely right. These are "S" rated tires capable of speeds way more than the Safari is capable off so don't worry about that front.

Michellin does not make LTX in the 235/70/16 which is the Safari OEM Tire size.

If you absolutely want Michellin LTX then you will have to go to 15 inch after market rims and buy the 235/75/15 tire which will match your OEM tire diameter. However, I suggest going with BF Goodrich TKO all terrain ties or Yokohama Geolander AT tires. Both these tires have been used by Safari members on Team-bhp and they are happy with the tires. Besides they come in Safari OEM size, i.e 235/70/16 so you can use your OEM alloys.
Old 17th April 2009, 20:41   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats to another incoming 4x4 addict. Looking forward to your exploits.

@tanwaramit:
Bull bars are typically attached directly to the chasis members of the engine bay. In such a situation when a frontal impact occurs the forces are passed on to the chassis members where bull bar is anchored. This bye passes the crumple zones and hence compromises safety.
Also in case of pedestrian hit the chances of a small radius bull bar causing fracture in lower body increases many folds. Compare this with hitting a comparatively flat and yielding surface of plastic bumper.
Old 17th April 2009, 20:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. My Tata Motors sales guy mistakenly told me that Tata Motors generates a chassis number soon after the booking is placed. Hence, I started making his life hell asking for the chassis number, so that I could follow up the regional office in case of delivery delays.
I got a call from some senior guy (I Guess Sales Manager) from the showroom who said it is against company policy to share the chassis number before the car is delivered to dealers stock yard.
Has anyone tried this before, I mean trying to procure the chassis number during the waiting period? Please let me know if you have had any experience with such a thing.
As such I don't think I need the chassis number. I am just doing all this to keep a continuing pressure on the showroom people, so that they would want to clear my order ASAP and get rid of me. :-)
I guess I need not be so paranoid!
First of All congrats Sen on you booking the The King and i hope your wife is happy.

I don't think they give the Chassis number,and whatever the sales guy has told about the Tata generating Chassis number is a true lie.

It is like this the vehicle is shipped as per the orders placed by the Dealer and dealer decides on which vehicle goes to whom, in my case when we took the vehicle it was a vehicle which was reserved for a sitting MLA at that time.

Due to some reasons the vehicle was not delivered to them and we got the vehicle registered in our name.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:38   #37
BHPian

Yuppiii!

My Car is at the dealers stock yard!!
And my bank loan also is passed.

All that remains now is to go and do a PDI at Kalyan Stock Yard of Wasan Motors, get it RTOed and Insured and drive home the baby!

Am I missing something in the excitement?

It's really a pleasant surprise to find that the dealer got the car two weeks before the promised delivery! That too after reading about so many frustrating delays.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Let me be the first to congratulate you!

I guess you got it all covered.

Do take the PDI list.

All the best!
Old 21st April 2009, 18:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sen, on your Safari VX 4x4 and let me know when you are taking the delivery.

Are you planning to get the registration done by yourself or dealer is getting it done.

Please post your pictures here and on our other thread where it is dedictated only for the Safari.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Sen, congrats and do post some pictures. I am quite keen to know about this " mountain green" shade )
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:21   #41
BHPian

PDI Done

Completed the PDI at the Stock Yard.
The in-charge at Wasan Motor Stock Yard in Kalyan, someone named Mr. Vijay Kadam was not present there. I was attended by some dude named Santosh. A real cool dude!
He was mighty impressed with my list. We (Me, This Santosh and our Driver) did a thorough inspection point by point.
Could not find anything wrong. Everything works as expected. Engine sounds normal. Steering does not give out any hissing sound on full turns. Checked the operation of 4x4 by driving it 10 meters on 4H and 4L. No abnormal sound comes out of the transfer case.
Electricals are also all fine.
I guess its the beginners luck, the music will start once I get the car delivered.

I am attaching a picture here. More will follow once I get it on road and can take it to some photogenic locale.

I have created a printable PDI file in Excel. I am attaching it here. Anyone going for a PDI at stock yard may use a print of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Mountain Green Tata Safari VX 4x4 Booked. EDIT : Now driving it!-edit.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: xls PDI - excel.xls (48.5 KB, 11533 views)
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:14   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Really nice color shade...very low maintenance - perfect for a 4x4!
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:29   #43
BHPian

Congrats on the new buy. The color suits the vehicle well. Happy 4x4ing!!!
Old 22nd April 2009, 18:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Congrats Sen, on your Safari VX 4x4 and let me know when you are taking the delivery.

Are you planning to get the registration done by yourself or dealer is getting it done.

Please post your pictures here and on our other thread where it is dedictated only for the Safari.
Initially I planned to take delivery on 30th April, 2009. This date happens to be the fifth birthday of my Enfield Electra 2004.
But, that is the date Elections will be held in Mumbai. Although the sales guy says they would keep open, I am not willing to risk my new car out there on a day which can easily turn violent.
Hence, our chosen date is 29th April. However I shall not touch the ignition key till 30th Morning.

Registration and Insurance will be done by the dealer. I could have haggled a better rate for the Insurance from outside, but I gave that up due to two reasons -
1. Freebeis (Floor Mats, Sun Film, anti Rust Coating and Teflon Coating) flowed more freely that way.
2. I would not get much lower Insurance rates unless I am reasy to change my insurer. Now, that may cause troubles while making claims as this dealer has tie ups with only one insurer.

Queries - (Relating to the ICE)
The head unit is Alpine DVA 9861E. With stock speakers it sounds pretty nice. I guess I found it nice due to my overwhelming happyness to see my car and because I normally listen a Sony Xplod in my Santro.
The details of this unit can be found here - Alpine Electronics of Asia Pacific Co., Ltd.

The Alpine website says it is -
a) IPOD Ready
b)Bluetooth Ready

Have anyone of Safari Owners used these features?
Can I plug in a USB Drive instead to the IPOD using some accessory or cables?
Can I connect my phone to the ICE using bluetooth so that I can make and receive calls using the ICE speakers? (Is this very stupid?)
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Great color! As mentioned above, suites the 4x4 usage. Less maintenance!
Quote:
...Could not find anything wrong. Everything works as expected. Engine sounds normal. Steering does not give out any hissing sound on full turns. Checked the operation of 4x4 by driving it 10 meters on 4H and 4L. No abnormal sound comes out of the transfer case.
Electricals are also all fine.
I guess its the beginners luck, the music will start once I get the car delivered...
I hope not! May it remain as it is for a very long time!

Quote:
... Hence, our chosen date is 29th April. However I shall not touch the ignition key till 30th Morning...
May your ride bring you a very safe and pleasant journey ahead.

Few question: Did you get the new spare tire cover or the old 3L cover?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks