Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 13:52   #76
Senior - BHPian

Your stock ICE setup should be good. Check if your speakers are also Alpine. the Head Unit is a good one. At most change the speakers to better speakers from JBL - GT5 components for front and back, or any others that sound good to you, and you should be good to go.
Old 24th April 2009, 15:44   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Your stock ICE setup should be good. Check if your speakers are also Alpine. the Head Unit is a good one. At most change the speakers to better speakers from JBL - GT5 components for front and back, or any others that sound good to you, and you should be good to go.
I think the speakers are also Alpine. That's what the sales guy says. I have check them out myself once I get the car.
I think the sound is not bad. I need a sub woofer the first think. I like Tub Thumping like RedLiner, who almost bought a San storm for doing that in Church Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Congrats Sen.
Nice color. Will look better with lots of mud on it.
Hope to see your Safari in more natural habitat.
Cheers,
J
That's the first priority. Places around Mumbai are less scenic in this weather. Once the rain starts, I just drool to think the kind of photos I could shoot of the green car with the Lonavala green as a backdrop.
Other than that, I will catch up with you guys for OTRs soon. Only thing to hinder me there is to do the running in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Sen,

Can feel the excitement in your posts! It is truly a wonderful feeling!

And where are the remaining 43 photos???

Bring 'em on!
Ok Sir. I have some interior photos and a few exterior photos from other angles. Will post them in a few hours (have to edit them down to the recommended size).

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Nah, don't do that - would be better to go and swim with the whales
That's not a bad idea. Maybe I could also offer a lift to a rowing girl stranded on a river bed. (Have to ask my wife about her views on this. Not that she would approve of quitting or swimming, but this might me a tougher ask."

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Wow great pre-delivery emotional account out here. Like the way you made your presence felt during PDI, that in turn among all things make the service fellows take you as a customer much more seriously.

Congrats for the ultimate Safari variant.
Dude, nothing beats you taking your car out to the Himalayas straight from the showroom. I am planning a drive to Kolkata sometime after Durga Puja. Will surely try to catch up with you. In fact we are thinking of a sikkim trip from Kolkata during then as well.
Old 24th April 2009, 15:57   #78
Team-BHP Support

Do not forget to idle atleast 30 seconds before giving any throttle while starting the vehicle every time.
Ditto for turning it off.
It can be annoying at times, but mostly I overcome that by puttering along the last 100 meters at idle when I reach my destination.

In running in stay below 2500rpm(1500kms)
Old 24th April 2009, 20:48   #79
BHPian

Engine Oil and Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Do not forget to idle atleast 30 seconds before giving any throttle while starting the vehicle every time.
Ditto for turning it off.
It can be annoying at times, but mostly I overcome that by puttering along the last 100 meters at idle when I reach my destination.

In running in stay below 2500rpm(1500kms)
The owners manual also states this (the 30 sec idling). however, what I am not clear about is, whether to do this during running in or to do this always.

I also want to know the kind of fuel to be used, normal diesel or the premium diesels? The sales guy said using normal diesel is better as the premium diesels have some detergent type things which corrode the engine valve etc.

If what he says is correct, will it not be better to use premium diesel periodically, say once very ten fills. Or will the change in fuel quality do more worse than good? help!

Need advice on synthetic engine oils also.
I have seen a TV Commercial (the long ones where people come and give testimony and all that crap! .. Man! Do I have some free time!), where they were advertising on something called Motor Up. This product has some polymer or some kinda stuff giving it a much higher lubricating properties than normal engine oils. I understand that these should not be used during Running In phase, but how about later?

Does someone in the community have used it for Safari with tangible good results. (I would rather not deviate from the owners' manual for vague advantages).
Old 25th April 2009, 00:46   #80
Team-BHP Support

Always idle for 30 seconds, every time you start her, and every time before you shut down. Irrespective of running in or not.
As for premium diesel, people from Tata tell me to use normal diesel only
Always change engine oil as per manufacturer recommendations API-CH4 and above
Old 25th April 2009, 00:57   #81
BANNED

Sir, kindly always idle for 1 minute after starting & before switching off. Normal diesel works best. Keep it stock - works best. Anything else, PM me and I will guide you in tatality

Did I congratulate you? Hearty congratulations!
Old 25th April 2009, 04:20   #82
BHPian

Congratulations on the new buy Sen. I can easily relate to your feelings, have been a Tata vehicle owner for more than a decade and would have had a Safari now but have been waiting for the official launch of the new version. Am sure this feeling is difficult to put words to. Seems like ages to me while I wait for the new vehicle.

Tata seems to be upgrading the Safari continuously without really creating a big bang on the minor changes or addon's they do with time. The SUV has really evolved over time and continuously gets better at the job.
Old 25th April 2009, 05:13   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin View Post
Congratulations on the new buy Sen. I can easily relate to your feelings, have been a Tata vehicle owner for more than a decade and would have had a Safari now but have been waiting for the official launch of the new version. Am sure this feeling is difficult to put words to. Seems like ages to me while I wait for the new vehicle.

Tata seems to be upgrading the Safari continuously without really creating a big bang on the minor changes or addon's they do with time. The SUV has really evolved over time and continuously gets better at the job.
Nishant:

Tata is always continuously refining their vehicles. The same is the case with the Safari. However with their focus on indica and sumo they let Mahindra eat their lunch by ignoring their most flagship model.

I recall when the Sumo turbo was launched with the same 2.0 TCIC engine as the Safari the sumo turbo actually was faster than the Safari being lighter so you have your mid priced UV that has got better performance than your flagship SUV.

They have finally gotten their act together with the lauch of the 2.2 VVTI, but looks like thy still need to iron out some issues with the Common Rail Unit. But with launch of the new VFM Mahindra Scorpio range, they need to readjust their pricing or offer more standard stuff in the LX variant.
Old 25th April 2009, 22:17   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Sir, kindly always idle for 1 minute after starting & before switching off. Normal diesel works best. Keep it stock - works best. Anything else, PM me and I will guide you in tatality

Thanks Dude! Your exploits in the south indian OTRs are a confidence booster for all SUV owners.
How do i wish I had a 4x4 during the 3 years I stayed in Bangalore. Back then (Dharam Singh period - no offence to anyone please) Sarjapura Road and Bannerghata Road from Dairy Circle to IIM were pretty tough 4x4 sections by themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Always idle for 30 seconds, every time you start her, and every time before you shut down. Irrespective of running in or not.
As for premium diesel, people from Tata tell me to use normal diesel only
Always change engine oil as per manufacturer recommendations API-CH4 and above
Normal Diesel it is then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin View Post

Hey, thanks man! You should have bought a Safari long back. I mean having such a "Gangsta" ID, you need a bold ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

They have finally gotten their act together with the lauch of the 2.2 VVTI, but looks like thy still need to iron out some issues with the Common Rail Unit.
What kind of problems are we talking about here?
Should I, as a new owner, take any additional precautions due to such problems. I am not much with engine, technical and stuff.
Old 25th April 2009, 23:23   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
...What kind of problems are we talking about here?
Should I, as a new owner, take any additional precautions due to such problems. I am not much with engine, technical and stuff.
Follow the manual religiously, especially the 4x4 part!

Idle before and after at all times, in or out of run-in period.

I do not think there is anything else you should be concerned about.
Old 26th April 2009, 00:54   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Follow the manual religiously, especially the 4x4 part!

Idle before and after at all times, in or out of run-in period.

I do not think there is anything else you should be concerned about.

Congrats Sen. Wishing you many great miles ahead.

About the idling part. If I have to go to a normal groceries store to pick up stuff which takes like less than 5 minutes. Even then I need to idle the car before the stop and start?

I do the idling routine while starting after a good amount of rest and when I know I am shutting the engine for a good amount of time. But I dont follow this routine in frequent start stops.
What will be the consequences?
Old 26th April 2009, 04:00   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
What kind of problems are we talking about here?
Some owners are having the service light come on and the dealership hasn't been able to completely diagnose the problem. It seems to be related to the common rail unit from Lucas. But don't worry about Tata is pretty good about helping the customer resolve these issues, if it does arise in your vehicle. It may also have been with the earlier batches.
Old 26th April 2009, 08:03   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
...I do the idling routine while starting after a good amount of rest and when I know I am shutting the engine for a good amount of time. But I dont follow this routine in frequent start stops.
What will be the consequences?
I reckon the turbo can take some amount of abuse (if it can be called that). But, would suggest that, going forward, you keep the 1minute (or 30 seconds) timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
... It seems to be related to the common rail unit from Lucas. But don't worry about Tata is pretty good about helping the customer resolve these issues, if it does arise in your vehicle. It may also have been with the earlier batches.
I hope you last statement is true. But then again, there is nothing much a owner can do to avoid this. If it happens, it happens!
Old 27th April 2009, 10:50   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The owners manual also states this (the 30 sec idling). however, what I am not clear about is, whether to do this during running in or to do this always.
Do it always, treat it like a prayer at the beginning or end of the drive

I have been guilty of not following this strictly earlier - my Turbo gave way at around 45k & I'm not sure how much of it was due to not following this half minute bit. Nowadays, its second nature.

So, better not to take a chance.

Last edited by suman : 27th April 2009 at 10:51.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:18   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think the speakers are also Alpine. That's what the sales guy says. I have check them out myself once I get the car.
I think the sound is not bad. I need a sub woofer the first think. I like Tub Thumping like RedLiner, who almost bought a San storm for doing that in Church Street.
I thank the lord I did not follow that *advice* from an old timer Safarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post

Pray why? I figured modern engines do not need this kind of care? I did not read anywhere about the Scorpio mHawk having to be put under such rigorous care? This is not a comparison, but considering both engines were developed by the same supplier - what gives?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks