Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 12:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
About the idling part. If I have to go to a normal groceries store to pick up stuff which takes like less than 5 minutes. Even then I need to idle the car before the stop and start?
It usually helps at cold startup and again after a long run when the engine is really hot - so your grocery store trip should not require except at start if you're starting the engine cold.

The worst that can be done is the 'RTC Bus Driver' routine - I watched in horror once as one of the 'drivers' hired by my wife blipped the throttle hard (twice !) before shutting the engine off. "Sir it clears the exhaust" was the reason he gave . I have noticed the same routine being followed by bus and truck drivers.

BTW - once you start driving this around you ARE a bus/truck driver.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:28   #92
BANNED

Venky, read your owner's manual carefully - there WILL be a mention of this somewhere. They don't put stickers on the dashboard anymore but they still mention it.

The initial lot of turbo diesels (most manufacturers) had a sticker on the dash or the door (inside) advising you to idle for at least 30 seconds after starting and before switching off.
The initial lot of MPFI petrols (most manufacturers) had stickers cautioning you against using the accelerator while cranking.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:03   #93
Team-BHP Support

All turbo cars. petrol or diesel, unless equipped with a turbo timer need idling of 30 seconds(or near idle speeds for 30 seconds) before starting or stopping.
The reason is that oil flow to turbo stops as soon as engine is shut off. Under boost, turbos go at 20K rpm, you do not want to stop lubrication to something spinning so fast.
So its always better to idle, and let turbo spool down to lower rpm before shutting off. Even when you start, always wait before giving full throttle. Let turbo lubricate, and then rev
Old 28th April 2009, 09:53   #94
BHPian

Help!

The car is ready at the dealer and all paperwork (RTO, Insurance etc.) are completed.
They have tied a ribbon over the roof of the car as requested by my mom (against normal V shaped ribbon pasted on the bonnet).
I have ordered the cake and bought Champaign.
Also bought a large Ice box to keep it chilled.
Fridge is also ready with enough ice.
A purohit is arranged who will travel from Thane to Chembur for doing the Puja.
I have bought a big lemon which will be crushed under the first roll of the wheels.
We are all set to take delivery tomorrow evening.

But, now my wife and sister come and tell me that both of them have loads and loads of work to complete till Wednesday night as the rest of the week is holiday.
If I miss Wednesday, Thursday is election, Friday is May Day, Saturday is inauspicious, Sunday we have to visit some relatives, Monday being the first workday after long holiday everyone will be busy... and so on.

I am on the verge of suffering a nervous breakdown. help!

PS:- I figured out a great way to make ice for the ice box. I am half filling a lot of zip lock plastic packets and stashing them in the fridge. Once frozen, I am putting them in the ice box. Then after use when they melt, simply putting them back into the fridge. This has two great advantages over keeping normal uncovered ice. One, they melt slower than normal ice and two, they don't create a mess inside the ice box and can be very conveniently recycled.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:28   #95
Senior - BHPian

all set for great day huh !

Well, look forward to the delivery report of the vehicle. Hope you get it this week.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:46   #96
BANNED

Hey, a true Tata dealer will deliver (either new or after service) only after sundown . Go ahead and take delivery on Wednesday - tell the Sales Manager that you would like to take delivery late on Wednesday night and I'm sure he'll oblige.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:49   #97
Senior - BHPian

So, all set!

Seems like there is a whole set of arrangements that you have made, isn't it!

Hope to see some photos tomorrow, with all that ribbon and cake.

And what do you plan to do with the champagne? Hope nothing similar to lauching a ship!

All the best.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:53   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
The car is ready at the dealer and all paperwork (RTO, Insurance etc.) are completed.
They have tied a ribbon over the roof of the car as requested by my mom (against normal V shaped ribbon pasted on the bonnet).
I have ordered the cake and bought Champagne.
Also bought a large Ice box to keep it chilled.
Fridge is also ready with enough ice.
A purohit is arranged who will travel from Thane to Chembur for doing the Puja.
I have bought a big lemon which will be crushed under the first roll of the wheels. .

thats a lot of home coming preparation !
Old 28th April 2009, 11:10   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And 1st of a kind on T-BHP, everyone waiting to see the pictures of the celebration .
Old 28th April 2009, 11:18   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Hey, a true Tata dealer will deliver (either new or after service) only after sundown . Go ahead and take delivery on Wednesday - tell the Sales Manager that you would like to take delivery late on Wednesday night and I'm sure he'll oblige.
I have spoken to the sales guy. he is fine till 10:30 PM. Wife will be able to reach showroom till 9-9:30, doubt looms over sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
So, all set!

Seems like there is a whole set of arrangements that you have made, isn't it!

Hope to see some photos tomorrow, with all that ribbon and cake.

And what do you plan to do with the champagne? Hope nothing similar to lauching a ship!

All the best.
I am planning to shake the bottle for good and spray it in the eyes of the boss of my sales guy. One smart reared guy! Has an opinion on everything personal to me. Went as far as suggesting the flavour of the cake I should buy (with reference to his opinions on what goes with Safari!)
But, if doing that is not possible, i'll surely pour some water into the glass of champaign I pass him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
all set for great day huh !

Well, look forward to the delivery report of the vehicle. Hope you get it this week.
I hope so too... desperately!
Old 28th April 2009, 13:24   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
And 1st of a kind on T-BHP, everyone waiting to see the pictures of the celebration .
Will upload as soon as I am back home. Have arranged for two still and one video camera with three people to operate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Surely it is. Did I mention that all of us (Family members) have bought new clothes and shoes as well. Plus I have also written 4 DVDs full of MP3 for listening to while heading back home from the showroom (about 40 min drive).

The snap below is not Team-BHP standard, but I still like it.
Mountain Green Tata Safari VX 4x4 Booked. EDIT : Now driving it!-dsc04932.jpg
Old 28th April 2009, 13:39   #102
evo
BHPian

Thats a hell lot of preparation!
Brilliant. Congratulations.
Old 28th April 2009, 14:52   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post

Quote:
I am planning to shake the bottle for good and spray it in the eyes of the boss of my sales guy. One smart reared guy! Has an opinion on everything personal to me. Went as far as suggesting the flavour of the cake I should buy

One of the many different things associated with owning a Safari is the TASS experience. They just never cease to amaze you with their idiosyncrasies.

So far the Safari has never ditched me, so whatever twists and turns that TASS adds in my life, I tend to look at it in a lighter way in hindsight. But Boy, while they are it, they are so able to raise the BP of even a perfectly healthy young man.
Old 28th April 2009, 16:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will upload as soon as I am back home. Have arranged for two still and one video camera with three people to operate them.

Surely it is. Did I mention that all of us (Family members) have bought new clothes and shoes as well. Plus I have also written 4 DVDs full of MP3 for listening to while heading back home from the showroom (about 40 min drive).

The snap below is not Team-BHP standard, but I still like it.
Attachment 130235
Hey Sen you are enjoying the purchase of your Safari at the max and did like it.

So you are going to make them sit on the top of your Safari and your family inside the Safari.

Man this is one huge festival Occassion for you, enjoy it.
Old 28th April 2009, 17:16   #105
Senior - BHPian

Sen,

Pardon the ignorance, but if:
- 2 still & one video camera

must have surely got a lot many people thinking of the same...

Are you getting married all over again!!!

And 4 DVD (my GOD, DVD's) of music for a 40 kms drive: are you planing to cover these 40kms as part of the last leg of the journey from the showroom to the neighbouring state, to the one after that and then the return back home???

Waiting for tomorrow!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks