Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2009, 00:36   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItMyLife View Post
A very prominent hissing sound when the steering wheel is at the extreme left or right
Also I tried to break a little hard when doing 80kmph, and he swayed to the left. Is it normal?
First of all congratulations!!!

The hissing sound is caused by the Power Steering. I am not sure if the Safari comes with Hydraulic or the more advanced EHPS.

As regards the braking problem, there was a thread by someone, can't recall right now, who faced a similar problem for quite some time. Before it got resolved. Try searching for it, would be really helpful.

I just hope you don't have the same problem though.

Happy riding.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:28   #92
BHPian

Alexnazim congratulations!!!! Is your Safari Mountain Green in Colour.It is not very clear from the picture you have uploaded.

I have booked a Mountain green LX and am waiting for delivery.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So finally he has arrived.
Folks you guessed right. Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor LX Quartz Black with the most expensive accessory i.e. "satisfaction" is parked right in front of my door. (err, not exactly in front, I live on the 3rd floor)...
A very big congrats, ItYOURLife!

Quote:
...A couple of observations:
A very prominent hissing sound when the steering wheel is at the extreme left or right
Also I tried to break a little hard when doing 80kmph, and he swayed to the left. Is it normal?
I guess it will take some time to get adjusted to the braking, rather controlling the speed, cuz the ride is so smooth, I did not even realize that I was doing 80.
Reversing and Parking is not that difficult. I could manage in a tight spot without the sensors.
And YES, people do give way on the road...
Hissing sound - ignore it. Part of the pack.

Braking: Be careful about the braking. The vehicle weight and the speed plays a major role in the efficiency of the brakes. I would recommend that you have a look at the speedo at the same frequency as you will look at the RVM, that is couple of times a minute (in places where you have free flow traffic). I had a similar experience but I was way beyond any legal & safe limit, double of your speed!!! As you put in the KM's, you will get used to it, but for the initial period, have an eye out.

Reversing: I always have a physical check before actually reversing, even though I have the sensors. I trust the sensors, but not blindly!

Having said all these, have a great time and do post your experiences as and when they happen.

EDIT: Missed out the thing about the pull to the left when sudden braking - get it checked. It should not pull or push to any side. When you brake, the vehicle is to go straight, unless you skid and the vehicle turns.

EDIT 2: Devil on Wheels - TSK1979 had the issue of his while horse (or was it an elephant at that time???) shaking its booty under panic braking. And yes, it is resolved now.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 28th October 2009 at 09:43.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:53   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Just that my dad says, its too noisy and mom thinks now I will drive even faster.
Guess that is what happens when one drives the Baleno. I have the same issue with my Mom. Small car, less speed; bigger car, more speed. Heck they don't even agree to "with more power comes more responsibility".
Old 28th October 2009, 11:53   #95
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaduri View Post
Alexnazim congratulations!!!! Is your Safari Mountain Green in Colour.It is not very clear from the picture you have uploaded.

Congrats too Alexnazim, looks like Cycus Gray itself though need confirmation.

Sbhaduri when was the date they said, faintly remember the date like being today[?] itself.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:58   #96
BHPian

Quote:
So finally he has arrived.
Folks you guessed right. Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor LX Quartz Black with the most expensive accessory i.e. "satisfaction" is parked right in front of my door. (err, not exactly in front, I live on the 3rd floor).
Got delivery at 8 pm. Way past the official opening hours of any temple close by. So after asking my parents to go home rather than waiting in the temple, I finally drove the "incredible hulk" home. We had dinner and then went out for a ride (long straight stretch from Vasant Kunj to Vasant Vihar). Finally home on time to pen down a few words.

A couple of observations:
I guess it will take some time to get adjusted to the braking, rather controlling the speed, cuz the ride is so smooth, I did not even realize that I was doing 80.
Reversing and Parking is not that difficult. I could manage in a tight spot without the sensors.
And YES, people do give way on the road.

Here are some pics. Enjoy! There is lot more to come.
Heartiest Congrats Sri, on your Beast's home coming!! Takkar takkar khelein?

Haven't faced the swaying to the left problem yet, maybe haven't hit the brakes real hard. The hissing while turning is the same here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaduri View Post

Thank you Sir!! The color is cycus grey, the mountain green and cycus grey look almost similar in the sun except that the green is lighter.

Last edited by alexnazim : 28th October 2009 at 12:13.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:22   #97
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations guys on your new prized possessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnazim View Post
Thank you Sir!! The color is cycus grey, the mountain green and cycus grey look almost similar in the sun except that the green is lighter.
I had a tough time deciding b/w Mountain Green and Cycus Grey - eventually decided on the latter after seeing both vehicles side by side at the dealership.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:29   #98
BHPian

Anyone know what are the drive in limits for the Beast during the initial 1500 Kms? I'll slap the BC who says 50KMPH.

The Beast refuses to accept the 5th gear below 70KMPH and that's what i am worried about.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:35   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone know what are the drive in limits for the Beast during the initial 1500 Kms? I'll slap the BC who says 50KMPH.

The Beast refuses to accept the 5th gear below 70KMPH and that's what i am worried about.
IIRC 80kmph at 5th gear is below turbo kick in rpm and hence 70kmph gonna be an issue. Use 4th gear
Old 28th October 2009, 12:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

Wow man, congratulations. The Safari is really something special, has always made me look twice whenever it passes by. Have lots of fun and drive safe.
Old 28th October 2009, 13:33   #101
Senior - BHPian

It is not 50kmph!

(Phew! Close one!!!)
Quote:

Not sure how this might sound, but to hell with the KMPH, just keep the rev below 2k. With the new ECU software, the turbo kicks in at 1000-1100 RPM, so all is good. (Previously, turbo used to kick in only after 2000RPM).

So, as long as you are within the RPM band, drive on!
Old 28th October 2009, 13:56   #102
BHPian

Quote:

Areeb,

Page 77 of the owners manual documents the TATA recommended speeds during running in.
The 4th gear has 90km/hr
Attached Thumbnails
Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model?-capture.jpg  

Last edited by rideon : 28th October 2009 at 13:57.
Old 28th October 2009, 14:11   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
IIRC 80kmph at 5th gear is below turbo kick in rpm and hence 70kmph gonna be an issue. Use 4th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
It is not 50kmph!

(Phew! Close one!!!)

Not sure how this might sound, but to hell with the KMPH, just keep the rev below 2k. With the new ECU software, the turbo kicks in at 1000-1100 RPM, so all is good. (Previously, turbo used to kick in only after 2000RPM).

So, as long as you are within the RPM band, drive on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
Areeb,

Page 77 of the owners manual documents the TATA recommended speeds during running in.
The 4th gear has 90km/hr
See ! its normal

Happy ! 1000-1100? Where are those people from Pune!

Hope I can be there for today's meet and raise this issue.
Old 28th October 2009, 16:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

JK,

Yup, 1000 - 1100. The idling RPM is 900RPM and once I reach 1100 the turbo starts pooling (what a beautiful sound it is!).
Old 28th October 2009, 18:07   #105
BHPian

Hey adc you remember, great. It was planned for 29th initially but these SBI guys you know.They are just very slow.My patience just ran out and I got them running today after speaking to their GM.Hopefully the loan process will be over tomoroow and further 2 days time for delivery.The car has reached from Pune and waiting at Dealer stock yard.

There are some lucy people in this forum who get to lay their hands on their Safari within 2-3 days of booking. Lucky guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Congrats too Alexnazim, looks like Cycus Gray itself though need confirmation.

Sbhaduri when was the date they said, faintly remember the date like being today[?] itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks