Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:43   #106
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I have absolutely no idea where the finishing point is. Wouldnt the finishing point for a BOAT race be in water rather than on land, though?
Good point. though, the boat guy probably means a jetty of some sort. Will meet ashvin this AM and see if we can find out.

Quote:
Which means we will have to meet up for breakfast at sometime around 8 am (waiting for the usual latecomers, finishing off breakfast, cigarettes, photos, ICE demos etc would mean that we start off by about 10).
8AM? Us? Have you started medicating yourself in anticipation already?
Seriously though, that seems to be the only way to do it.
If we are to start at 12, we should set off at 10 atleast, to set aside time for getting lost. which means, our day should start at 8 like steer said.
the time at which we plan to travel from COK to allepey- 10-12 is the favourite for sunday drivers and marriage parties to dawdle in the passing lane, we should allow time wastage for that too.

Quote:
The plan was to meet up for breakfast at Kashi Art Cafe in Fort Cochin - is this too much of a deviation for most people?
It might be. especially for the CBE and TCR guys.
also- kashi opens at 10AM methinks(ASHVIN maybe able to fix that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Hey ripper i am not familiar with the place, though i am carrying the map along. Can you pm me your phone no please so that i can contact you if you dont mind. And what time are you guys planning to leave from COK?

@ KB100, veelubai how are your plans?
No map necessary- veelubhai is going to be with you.I'll PM my number to you anyways. we plan to link up with you guys in COK and then drive as convoy to allepey. so, no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
RipperGEO since most of our time we will be on WATER/in Water/waterinside us should this be called 'drive' at all since we/he would be piloting the boat most of the time.
Village Science: Piloting a Boat
How about- Team BHP D R I V E November 08- C R U I S E Control.

Old 23rd November 2008, 10:34   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post

How about- Team BHP D R I V E November 08- C R U I S E Control.

I really liked the C R U I S E Control

Nice
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

HI guys,

Finishing point is some point to which cars could go (sorry I can't be too sure though having stayed here close to the whole of my life), but will confirm tomorrow. You could have parking problems also. I will find more details and exact location tomorrow and put it up.

Or I would meet you guys and take you there.

Roughly how many cars would be there?
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:49   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
HI guys,

Finishing point is some point to which cars could go (sorry I can't be too sure though having stayed here close to the whole of my life), but will confirm tomorrow. You could have parking problems also. I will find more details and exact location tomorrow and put it up.

Or I would meet you guys and take you there.

Here is the finishing/starting point -->
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

-- Wind
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:00   #110
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
HI guys,

there's probably going to be atleast 10. maybe more.this is off the top of my head.
can we have a headcount of rides please?

I'll be in the Swift
Steer's safari?
Mansidea's scorpio?
KB100's accent
Srikant's swift
2 cars from tvm?
ram hyundai's verna
govigov?
maserq?
nikki's mile munching swift
sujith's beemer?
drpull's palio/indica(please palio please palio please palio)

Last edited by rippergeo : 23rd November 2008 at 12:02.

Old 23rd November 2008, 12:00   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Here is the finishing/starting point -->

-- Wind
Oh this is the usual houseboat parking lot - next to the tourist office!

Why dont they just call it that instead of calling it the finishing point of a boat race that occurs once a year?????

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd November 2008 at 12:01.
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:11   #112
rippergeo

@steer- the map didnt help me much
is this on the AC road?

Old 23rd November 2008, 12:14   #113
BHPian

Quote:
is this on the AC road?
Perhaps this would -->

-- Wind
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:25   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is this on the AC road?
If I remember right from my last houseboat ride (and trrk sir should be able to confirm) you take a left JUST BEFORE the first bridge when you enter Alleppey (from Cochin) and keep going straight down that road - I think its called CNB Road or Canal North Bank - alongside the canal.

Those coming from Trivandrum continue straight on through town on the NH, which crosses the Iron Bridge (Irumbu Paalam - Seematti) and becomes the YMCA Road until you come to the next bridge which is called the YMCA bridge or something like that. Cross the bridge and take right, you're on the same CNB Road.

If you have Google Earth, you can trace this road till it curves to the left and then there's a right turn that ends up at the houseboat boarding point. You'll see a lot of houseboats parked there even on Google Earth.
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:47   #115
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
If I remember right from my last houseboat ride (and trrk sir should be able to confirm) you take a left JUST BEFORE the first bridge when you enter Alleppey (from Cochin) and keep going straight down that road - I think its called CNB Road or Canal North Bank - alongside the canal.
Steer sir has given absolutely correct directions for people coming from either side of Alleppey. Except the canal is called as the Vada Canal and the specific road is on the north bank and is called VCNB Road.

From the north, you take a left without crossing the Power House Bridge (the one with lights just as you enter the town, the lights don't work anymore after a freak accident in which the control tower was ripped off and thrown into the canal). You cross a small bridge and come to a 3 road junction with a bridge (Vazhicerry bridge),continue straight and after crossing a tiny bridge come to a similar junction and bridge (YMCA bridge). Cross it and continue. The next point is a 4 way junction with bridge (High Court bridge) which you cross and continue. After a gentler right turn for the road, you will eventually come to a 90 degree left take it and from the map it is the first right that takes you to the finishing point.

The people from TVM side should continue straight through the town and junctions until you hit the T junction after the YMCA bridge. Take a right here and follow route as above.

Folks, I have just repeated Steer sir's route!

Welcome to Alleppey & 'Cruise Control'!!

@ripper: No, it is not the AC road.
Old 23rd November 2008, 13:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there's probably going to be atleast 10. maybe more.this is off the top of my head.
can we have a headcount of rides please?

I'll be in the Swift
Steer's safari?
Mansidea's scorpio?
KB100's accent
Srikant's swift
2 cars from tvm?
ram hyundai's verna
govigov?
maserq?
nikki's mile munching swift
sujith's beemer?
drpull's palio/indica(please palio please palio please palio)
Only one car from Tvm, since there's only four of us. It'll either be Jk's Safari or Srijit's Baleno.

I had a look at the wikimap. The Nehru Trophy finishing point is near to the Alapuzha KSRTC bus stand. If you know the KSRTC bus stand, the road to the Nehru Trophy finishing point is at the opposite side of the canal from the Bus stand.

From Tvm we have to keep going straight into the town as the road takes us then cross first canal, then second canal and soon take a right after the second canal and keep following the road till the end and then take a left and then right.
Old 23rd November 2008, 13:22   #117
BHPian

Ripper - Add my Pete'd Elantra to the list but its running on a worn out clutch...not sure wether I will take my car[thanks to financial crisis] but if there is a shortage or need I can definitely make it.
Old 23rd November 2008, 13:30   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
Hi Srikant - No great plans as of now.Guess what?IAm thinking of hitching a ride from either you or KB100 .If I have any of my friends accompanying me I will take my car[Elantra] but for some reasons none of my friends can confirm now.
Hey you can join me with all my pleasure, but how about one more car?? i would love to see another elantra too in the convoy, more over, whats the fun in a drive when you dont drive?? If you have problems driving alone you can always contact me. I have send you my phone no as PM.

But if at all you bring your car, please do go a bit slow as my swift cant catch up with your elantra, let me see you tail atleast.

@ kb100 : are you joining myself and veelubai from TCR, or will you join directly at COK?

@rippergeo : Thanks ripper, i ll call you and find out about the meeting point at COK. Veelu may be with me.

However, i think i have to leave home at 6am atleast, i have to wake up so early, that too on a Sunday.. But since its for a TBHP meet and a drive, i dont mind. I have even told my brother that i wont let him drive and it would be me single on the drivers seat.

Last edited by srikant : 23rd November 2008 at 13:48.
Old 23rd November 2008, 13:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steer's safari?
Unlikely - Safari is with my parents now and they've planned a long trip to Sabarimala followed by Trivandrum and Kanyakumari. Dunno if it will be back by then. Perhaps we will take the Landmaster along if the (mechanical) work on it is complete - this is completely Nikkibike's call, though. I wont be driving for reasons stated before.

Here is the updated list:
We have 3 veggies so far(srijit, prabhuav & self).

1 .jkdas (TVM)
2 .Sankar (TVM)
3 .Srijit(TVM)
4 .Greenhorn(TVM)

5 .kb100 (CBE)

6 .Veelubhai(TCR)
7 .srikant (TCR)

8 .rippergeo (COK)
9 .A S H V I N (COK) +2
12.Steeroid (COK)
13.govigov (COK)
14.ram_hyundai (COK)
15.nikkibike (COK)
16.MalluDude (COK
17.Mansidea (COK)
18.JayD(COK)

19.johnda (TVLLA)- not included in head count, since he wont be on the boat.
19.MaserQ(COK)

20.srikant's guest (TCR)
21.nikki's guest (COK)
22.nikki's guest (COK)
23. sujithnk+1 (COK)
25.dr.pullockaran (COK)
26.aditya.86 (COK)
27.muneemmk (COK)
28.prabhuav (BLR, honorary COK member)

2 spaces left (Officially - though I still think we can take in 5-7 more comfortably).

jaguar(not confirmed)
Quicksilver(not confirmed)
rippergeo's guest(not confirmed)
kartikumar (BLR) not confirmed

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd November 2008 at 13:55.
Old 23rd November 2008, 13:43   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post

@ kb100 : are you joining myself and veelubai from TCR, or will you join directly at COK?

I have some work in Cochin - I might reach Cochin the previous day. I will be coming by train - the Walayar-Trichur stretch is a nightmare!

I will need to hitch a ride with Steer/ Ripper or one of the Cok boys!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks