Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 19:25   #76
BANNED

Re: Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
I am well aware of the difference in quality between both the brands, but i can't do much in this regard now. Regarding the color code you have already helped me a lot in this regard and i really appreciate it Pavan ji. Atleast with your help now i have some cross ref. codes which i can use at a later stage maybe after 5 yrs. BTW thanks a lot for the codes.
Will be checking the shade card tomorrow and hopefully choose the nearest shade. White background, you mean the base coat.
You are most welcome..

Yes, i meant the Base coat......

You dont have to spray a base coat.... Simple, purchase a White Surfacer That avoids a few bucks too.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 09:25   #77
BANNED

Hey Sagar, firstly post some pics of finished body work please!
Old 21st May 2011, 20:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

The body work is still in progress. There was some dent identified by the painter on the roof so first it has to be tackled. Surfacer is applied on the whole car except the roof and currently the putty job is being done. Will click some pics on Monday as the first coat is due on the same.

I need some help with reference to a coupler which is used with a Konkorde meter. I would be changing the casing along with the meter as the current one is damaged. Electrician told that with out the coupler the meter won't work. I need some suggestions and even open to some jugaad if any one can suggest.
I am attaching some pics of the socket for which i need the coupler.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0949.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0950.jpg  

Last edited by samsag12 : 21st May 2011 at 20:17.
Old 24th May 2011, 08:29   #79
BANNED

Hey Sagar. Whats the update buddy? Got a solution to the meter issue?
Old 24th May 2011, 09:08   #80
Senior - BHPian

Pre paint work on the car has started. Have bought the 2ltrs base coat, thinner, putty, and all. Work is going on at a fast pace. The base coat must have been applied. Wasn't able to click pics due to shortage of time. Will post some when i visit the workshop tomorrow.

Regarding the meter coupler, i am unable to find it here as many Fiats scrapped here have old type meter. Frequency of scraping of 118NE is very low. Do let me know if you can help me in any way regarding this matter. I really need help on this.

Last edited by samsag12 : 24th May 2011 at 09:10.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:48   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pre paint work on the car has started. Have bought the 2ltrs base coat, thinner, putty, and all. Work is going on at a fast pace. The base coat must have been applied. Wasn't able to click pics due to shortage of time. Will post some when i visit the workshop tomorrow.

Regarding the meter coupler, i am unable to find it here as many Fiats scrapped here have old type meter. Frequency of scraping of 118NE is very low. Do let me know if you can help me in any way regarding this matter. I really need help on this.
Sagar,

What are you doing for rust prevention??? Any pitch or any other stuff that you have applied. I have one good product for you.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:59   #82
Senior - BHPian

Manish bhai rust prevention on which part of the car are you referring to. Please share the name of the good product.
BTW would be using 3M underbody seal for the floor, mudguard and inners of doors after the paint has been applied on the same area.
whats the update on your select. Its been a lot of time since last update.

Last edited by samsag12 : 24th May 2011 at 11:03.
Old 24th May 2011, 20:59   #83
Senior - BHPian

I need some assistance in locating the correct sealant for the Windshield beading. No one here seems to understand the use of sealant to seal the gaps in windshield. BTW what about Anabond 666T+. tube states its a silicon gasket maker. Can it be used for this purpose.

Last edited by samsag12 : 24th May 2011 at 21:00.
Old 24th May 2011, 22:14   #84
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

as i remember a decade back, my previous mechanic put some black ink kind of thing all around the windshield rubber. i don't know the name of it. the liquid material works as a waterproof sealant. you can also use GE 2000 silicon sealant
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 08:32   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manish bhai rust prevention on which part of the car are you referring to. Please share the name of the good product.
BTW would be using 3M underbody seal for the floor, mudguard and inners of doors after the paint has been applied on the same area.
whats the update on your select. Its been a lot of time since last update.
I am suggesting Wurth Rust Guard on every possible interior area, should be done before any paint. use seam sealer for the joints. Benifits of Rust guard I have pointed in my thread.

Quote:
I need some assistance in locating the correct sealant for the Windshield beading. No one here seems to understand the use of sealant to seal the gaps in windshield. BTW what about Anabond 666T+. tube states its a silicon gasket maker. Can it be used for this purpose.
Here is the link to 3M solution for windshield glass sealent

3M
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 13:52   #86
Senior - BHPian

Today went to inquire about the glass sealant and as Manish bhai suggested 3M one is available here for Rs 450. Was shocked to hear that 3M Seam sealer is available here too for some 600 odd rupees. Anyways i am attaching the pics of the car.

Update on W.I.P.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0961.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0963.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0964.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0965.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0966.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0968.jpg  

Old 25th May 2011, 14:22   #87
BANNED

Hey Sagar,
Nice to see the progress. What about the mechanical work man? Like suspension, brakes etc.

Good pace of work!
Old 25th May 2011, 14:49   #88
Senior - BHPian

Luckily all mechinicals are working fine except engine where few packings are leaking. Suspension, brakes GB clutch all are in good nick though i suspect a leak in one of the wheel cylinders as i can see oil traces on the rim.
I refrain from doing any mechanical job because of the non availability of decent quality spares.I won't touch any mechanical part unless i have a decent replacement for the same.
BTW any help on the coupler part. Suggest any jugaad if possible.

Last edited by samsag12 : 25th May 2011 at 14:51.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 20:47   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Today went to inquire about the glass sealant and as Manish bhai suggested 3M one is available here for Rs 450. Was shocked to hear that 3M Seam sealer is available here too for some 600 odd rupees. Anyways i am attaching the pics of the car.

Update on W.I.P.
Sagar,

The Base coat used is WRONG

You might have to use a lighter shade like Pink or a simple White would have really Helped.

With this combo you will never really get the actual shade, the final color will turn Dark Brown. Very simply saying, the Royal Maroon will not be Royal.

You will not find the difference immediately after the final paint spray, but once the paint starts drying up, the shade will start to FADE and will turn to a different color altogether.

All the Best.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 25th May 2011 at 20:50.
Old 26th May 2011, 08:27   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Sagar,

The Base coat used is WRONG

You might have to use a lighter shade like Pink or a simple White would have really Helped.

With this combo you will never really get the actual shade, the final color will turn Dark Brown. Very simply saying, the Royal Maroon will not be Royal.

You will not find the difference immediately after the final paint spray, but once the paint starts drying up, the shade will start to FADE and will turn to a different color altogether.

All the Best.
I appreciate your effort in pointing out the consequences but the constant niggling issues with painter are keeping me off from suggesting or directing anything. He seemed furious the moment i told him i have bought the kit and material as he was strongly urging me to purchase the kit from his source that too at half rate. Have bought the paint kit for 4000 Rs + 1800 more for other material.
Regarding the shade i am not worried about it as i will get it repainted as per my specs in the coming 2 to 3 years using the correct shade, material and technique. I really can't stop myself from thanking you for the cross ref. nos.
I am attaching a pic of the car with the surfacer. Just found it on my memory card.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-image0947.jpg  

Last edited by samsag12 : 26th May 2011 at 08:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks