Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 16:04   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scorpio Mhawk Clutch Failure & Break Down

Put the oil on your fingers and test for consistency. Compare with engine oil and clutch oil. The latter is much less slippery and more viscous. Given your upcoming trip a check at service center is a must.

Could it be diesel that is leaking? Reduced average could be a pointer of leaking return pipe.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 16:25   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
I've started getting some oil leakage under my almost 3 month old Scorpio LX 4WD over the last few days.
Can you pinpoint the origin of the leak? Lie down underneath the vehicle with a torch and see. Get a mech to check the engine oil level, GB and Tcase level, also the 2 diffs. See if any leak from turbo plumbing or fuel pump. Also check for leaks from Clutch Master, slave, same with brake master and slave.

Does the residue appear like oil, fuel, brake fluid or water?
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 16:33   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All, This matter is a bit urgent for me given that I have the Ladakh trip next week. Request you to please respond on the above.
If it's very urgent, please message members "gd1418" or "SS-Traveller". Both of them have 4WD Scorpios and are based in the Delhi/NCR region. They will be able to advise you as to which service center is better.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 17:39   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi All,

I've started getting some oil leakage under my almost 3 month old Scorpio LX 4WD over the last few days, and it seems to me that the mileage of the vehicle appears to have dropped drastically (I used to get about 10 km/l in the city, and now am getting only about 8 km/l). The vehicle has not even completed 5000 km so far. Though I'm not seeing any other clutch wear symptoms, such as reduced pick-up, reading this thread has me concerned that there might be clutch trouble in the offing.

I would be undertaking a Ladakh trip next week, and need the vehicle in perfect shape for that.

I'm based in Gurgaon. Do let me know whether you guys recommend Sterling Motors, Gurgaon, or Koncept, Noida for this service. Obviously, Koncept is a very long drive for me, but I'm willing to make it if the service quality is several notches better. I don't want to chance anything where the safety of family and friends is concerned.
You are having oil leak. Can you make out what oil it is? In any case, any sort of leak is worrysome. Try inspecting the engine bay hoses etc., to see if anything is leaking. Clutch oil reservoir(in some cars same as brake oil reservoir) should have level near max in a new car. Also check engine oil levels.
For Scorpio, you can PM Gd1418, he is in Gurgaon and owns a LX 4x4 just like you.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 18:06   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
Have not heard of premature clutch failure in the newer lot of m-Hawks, guess its better to go to ASC and have the cause of oil leakage checked up.
My question was more about whether I would be better suited taking the vehicle to Koncept Noida or Sterling Motors Gurgaon. Given that I live in Gurgaon, Sterling is quite easy for me to get to, but I've been given to understand that the Koncept workshop in Sector 60, Noida provides superior services. My question was on whether the services are that good at Koncept as to justify the incovenience involved for me.

Do let me know if you have any thoughts on this
Old 25th June 2013, 18:17   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...oil leakage...
I'm based in Gurgaon.
Quote:
...bit urgent...
Since you are pressed for time, why don't you first take it to gd1418's FNG Rakesh on Sheetla Mandir Road at Gurgaon, or my FNG Imtiaz at GK2 for diagnosis about what exactly is leaking. Once diagnosis is done, you can book with Sterling or Koncept (I use Koncept's C-50 Okhla service centre) to address the issue and fix whatever is required under warranty. Ask the ASS call centre person to book you for emergency running repairs rather than for routine service.
Old 26th June 2013, 01:53   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Since you are pressed for time, why don't you first take it to gd1418's FNG Rakesh on Sheetla Mandir Road at Gurgaon.
Thanks. I'll do just that tomorrow.
Old 26th June 2013, 09:32   #128
BHPian

I believe all post Nov 2011 M hawks come with a modified clutch slave cylinder. You could confirm from the dealer. Could be some other issue too.
princey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 10:15   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
I believe all post Nov 2011 M hawks come with a modified clutch slave cylinder. You could confirm from the dealer. Could be some other issue too.
Took the vehicle to FNG yesterday and was told that leakage is in main seal. Time to invoke the warranty. Headed now to Sterling Gurgaon
Old 28th June 2013, 13:40   #130
BHPian

Quote:

Took the vehicle to FNG yesterday and was told that leakage is in main seal. Time to invoke the warranty. Headed now to Sterling Gurgaon
We're you able to get the vehicle repaired to your satisfaction?
princey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 14:01   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post

We're you able to get the vehicle repaired to your satisfaction?
I've left it at Sterling Motors, Gurgaon. Waiting to hear back from them. The service advisor mentioned it would take at least 2 to 3 days.
Old 28th June 2013, 18:37   #132
BHPian

Thanks all for you inputs- turns out it was a leak from the tappet cover, that Sterling Motors claims to have fixed. The proof of the pudding would be in the eating. I'm going to receive the vehicle back tomorrow and will check both whether the leak has actually been repaired, as well as the mileage. I'll probably drive down to Agra tomorrow on Yamuna Expressway, which ought to be a great test for mileage.

I also got all the other systems checked by them, and have ensured that any oil lost in the leak has been topped up.

Fingers crossed people- hope everything is good.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 11:59   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...leak from the tappet cover...
...there are no tappets in that engine of yours... I'd expect Sterling to use formal terminology at least (though perhaps not the FNG ).

Which FNG did you visit first? If there's oil leakage from the cam cover gasket, which FNG got confused between that and a 'main seal' oil leakage?
Old 29th June 2013, 13:11   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
...there are no tappets in that engine of yours... I'd expect Sterling to use formal terminology at least (though perhaps not the FNG ).

Which FNG did you visit first? If there's oil leakage from the cam cover gasket, which FNG got confused between that and a 'main seal' oil leakage?
Well- I'm relatively new to the Scorpio and don't have that much knowledge about the MHawk.

The FNG was the Bosch service center off Sheetla Mata Mandir road, since I didn't have time to get anyone else's contacts. The guy just got under the vehicle with a torch and checked very cursorily for the leak. So I can see why he got that wrong.

On the actual leak, what I was told was that it is a tappet cover leak due to the bolts not having been tightened to the right torque. I asked specifically if he had checked the gasket and he said it is fine.

Going now to Sterling and will probably do a run on Yamuna Expressway to check the mileage issue.

Fingers crossed folks!
Old 29th June 2013, 15:02   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Bosch service center off Sheetla Mata Mandir road...
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Ultimately chose Total Car Solution, better known as Bosch Car Service Gurgaon.
I'm certainly not going!
If they are the same place, I'm not surprised about their incompetence.
Quote:
I didn't have time to get anyone else's contacts.
Check the directory. My FNG is listed here. Reference to gd1418's FNG (Rakesh) appears here & here & here. Don't see a dedicated Directory entry for Rakesh Automobiles, but plenty of folks on the forum vouch for the guy's competence.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 29th June 2013 at 15:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks