Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 23:15   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, did any of us try to get a workshop manual for the Scorpio? I mean does M&M part with workshop manuals of the Scorpio freely? If yes I would be quite interested in buying one.The manual is quite an asset for DIY people like me who can get straightened niggling faults as and when they are found.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:31   #767
BHPian

Scorpio SLX 2006 : Cold Start taking time & giving white fume from Exhaust??

Dear BHPians,

From last 4 months my scorpio usage has decreased ( SLX july 2006 70000kms), now when my usage cam back to normal, it has started having a strange issue.
When try to start the car on a cold morning (last 10 days) it takes a lot of self revving, some times up to 4-5 time of long conitnous revvs. After starting it emits a lot of White fume from exhaust which appears to unburnt fuel. This problem is not when the car is run for some time & is hot or during the day!!

I am afraid of draining my battery some day & find myself stranded.

Any help??

PS : Service is due in next 1000kms.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:40   #768
Senior - BHPian

Sametheleo,

This query should be posted in Mahindra Scorpio-Issues & Solutions thread. You would get more appropriate solutions.
Mods,

Request you to move it there.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:38   #769
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Hey, did any of us try to get a workshop manual for the Scorpio? I mean does M&M part with workshop manuals of the Scorpio freely? If yes I would be quite interested in buying one.The manual is quite an asset for DIY people like me who can get straightened niggling faults as and when they are found.
I ve been trying to get one but have had no luck so far. In case M&M sells these manuals, it would be mighty useful to all of us.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:39   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sam, dont rev a cold engine. Instead, let it idle for a minute in the mornings. At other times, idle atleast 30 seconds before starting.

If servicing is due in 1k km, why not go for an early service and get things resolved ? Psycho has also suggested this.

Last edited by condor : 25th November 2009 at 14:40.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:16   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Sam, dont rev a cold engine. Instead, let it idle for a minute in the mornings. At other times, idle atleast 30 seconds before starting.

If servicing is due in 1k km, why not go for an early service and get things resolved ? Psycho has also suggested this.

Dear Condor,

Pardon my unability to explain but by revvving i meant it does not start just keep craking up long continous self till the time I drop the key & i have to do it atleast 4-5 times to be able to start the car. When the is hot or even cold but during the day this problem never comes. It only happens after a long cold over night stand & a early morning start...

Also
No Carwash or water in Exhaust
Car is parked on Level Marbled surface.

Will check coolant today for sure..

I feel more scared because such long cranking may drain the battery & I have to start in early morning around 8 everyday.

Last edited by SamtheLeo : 25th November 2009 at 15:21.
Old 25th November 2009, 16:47   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Dear BHPians,

From last 4 months my scorpio usage has decreased ( SLX july 2006 70000kms), now when my usage cam back to normal, it has started having a strange issue.
When try to start the car on a cold morning (last 10 days) it takes a lot of self revving, some times up to 4-5 time of long conitnous revvs. After starting it emits a lot of White fume from exhaust which appears to unburnt fuel. This problem is not when the car is run for some time & is hot or during the day!!

I am afraid of draining my battery some day & find myself stranded.

Any help??

PS : Service is due in next 1000kms.
If you are not using it much then put the battery on a trickle charger. You can get those solar trickle chargers which you can plug into the cigarette lighter socket .

There might be air in your fuel system and the fuel filter might need changing. Get the fuel filter changed and the system primed for air.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:02   #773
Senior - BHPian

In other words you have cold start issues ask the service advisor do do the following in the order give.

1. check alternator voltage and condition of battery.
2. Check cat con / exhast is clean or not . in case cat con is clogged your accelaration should suffer as well.
3. Check glow plugs if your model has glow plugs.
4. Ask them to check Injectors / HP fuel lines in case above is OK.
High milage / dirty fuel may clog the injectors.

Quote:
Dear Condor,

Pardon my unability to explain but by revvving i meant it does not start just keep craking up long continous self till the time I drop the key & i have to do it atleast 4-5 times to be able to start the car. When the is hot or even cold but during the day this problem never comes. It only happens after a long cold over night stand & a early morning start...

Also
No Carwash or water in Exhaust
Car is parked on Level Marbled surface.

Will check coolant today for sure..

I feel more scared because such long cranking may drain the battery & I have to start in early morning around 8 everyday.
Old 27th November 2009, 11:59   #774
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Some minor issues cropping up in the recent times:

The car has done about 8000 Kms in 1 yrs 2 months.

1. The front part of the suspension is squeaking & creaking rather loudly when I go over a pot hole or a speedbreaker.

I had this issue originally when the *** replaced the front bushes, any suggestions whether I should go back to them again with the same problem?

2. Lot of rattling and viberations are there mostly from the drivers side door and rear seats, the rear seat issue have been located to a missing nut in the second row base, (the nut has come loose on its own and is now missing) and the base is now rattling. The cause of driver side door viberation is not tracable, i checked the nuts, they are all tight and in place.

3. The driver side window makes a creaking sound when it reaches the top, as if the motor is trying to force the glass up even touugh it has reached the full distance.

4. The rear wiper makes a "thuk" "thuk" noise while in motion and if you see the pic it does not go down completely on the right hand side.

5. The volume control reduction button on the steering wheel has come loose and it would not set back whatever I tried, so have tired to fix it in place with a piece of cello tape.

Hi Shankar,

Youu seem to be luckier of the lot to get a replacement.

I had problems with almost everything except the engine when i bought my VLX last year, complaints to top management ensured that all the faulty parts (gear box, clutch assembly, suspension bushes, etc etc were changed).

But in the bargain the interior was spoilt beyond redemption due to so much time being spent at the ***.

However, those were the last of the problems and the car runs exceptionally well now but the bitter taste that leaves in you mouth when the new car is continuously in and out of the service station remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankarcv View Post
Dear Sudhir,

i think you should complain to M&M and they do respond to the complaints pretty fast. I had bought a Scorpio in June and i had serious problem with my clutch. It failed 6 times in less than 40 days of on the road. I had to complain to M&M and their technical head inspected the vehicle and said it is not road worthy and gave me a new replacement of vehicle.

It would be better that you keep your dealership informed with a CC of the complaint mail to customercare@mahindra.com. They would respond to you immediately.

Try and ask for a replacement of ABS.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-100_2033.jpg  

Last edited by bblost : 2nd December 2009 at 11:21. Reason: back 2 back posts, use edit when posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 27th November 2009, 12:12   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
4. The rear wiper makes a "thuk" "thuk" noise while in motion and if you see the pic it does not go down completely on the right hand side.
This seems to be hard rubber and you need replacement , I think wiper life is about 1 - 2 year max.
Old 27th November 2009, 12:24   #776
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi, Some minor issues cropping up in the recent times:

The car has done about 8000 Kms in 1 yrs 2 months.

1. The front part of the suspension is squeaking & creaking rather loudly when I go over a pot hole or a speedbreaker.

I had this issue originally when the *** replaced the front bushes, any suggestions whether I should go back to them again with the same problem?

2. Lot of rattling and viberations are there mostly from the drivers side door and rear seats, the rear seat issue have been located to a missing nut in the second row base, (the nut has come loose on its own and is now missing) and the base is now rattling. The cause of driver side door viberation is not tracable, i checked the nuts, they are all tight and in place.

3. The driver side window makes a creaking sound when it reaches the top, as if the motor is trying to force the glass up even touugh it has reached the full distance.

5. The volume control reduction button on the steering wheel has come loose and it would not set back whatever I tried, so have tired to fix it in place with a piece of cello tape.
The squeak from suspension is a greasing issue. Get the Jumping rod/anti roll bar bushes checked.
As for the wiper, replace it, normally indian vehicles use syndicate wipers, and its a miracle if they last 2 years
Old 27th November 2009, 16:18   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In other words you have cold start issues ask the service advisor do do the following in the order give.

1. check alternator voltage and condition of battery.
2. Check cat con / exhast is clean or not . in case cat con is clogged your accelaration should suffer as well.
3. Check glow plugs if your model has glow plugs.
4. Ask them to check Injectors / HP fuel lines in case above is OK.
High milage / dirty fuel may clog the injectors.

Dear All,

There is no oil in Coolant. However just notice a peculiar phenomenon. When i Switch on the Key & Engine check light goes Off, after that if i wait 15 - 30 sec no matter what temperature the car starts normally. However if I try to start it immediately when Engine check light goes off then there is a delayed start.
Any body please help to understand.
Old 27th November 2009, 16:41   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

There is no oil in Coolant. However just notice a peculiar phenomenon. When i Switch on the Key & Engine check light goes Off, after that if i wait 15 - 30 sec no matter what temperature the car starts normally. However if I try to start it immediately when Engine check light goes off then there is a delayed start.
Any body please help to understand.
Check if the diesel filter is clogged. Also check if the rubber 'O' rings around the filer housing have become hard, in which case it might be sucking in air when the car is stopped for long periods of time.

@m_upreti - Wiper travel seems fine, nothing to worry about. About the noise, like the opther have said, either the rubber has become hard or the milling on the shaft holding the blade has worn off.

Last edited by Sideways : 27th November 2009 at 16:43.
Old 27th November 2009, 16:49   #779
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
If you are not using it much then put the battery on a trickle charger. You can get those solar trickle chargers which you can plug into the cigarette lighter socket .
Trickle Charger, that is interesting. I too am with Hariya only on weekends and at times on alternate weekends only. But he is covered using a car cover when idle.
Will this "Trickle Charger" work even if it does not "see" the sun directly?
Also, if it does, any links, addresses or other such info to source it from
Old 30th November 2009, 10:15   #780
Senior - BHPian

Thanks tsk,

I plan to visit the *** this weekend to get the suspension issue looked into, the sound is getting on my nerves.

As for the wiper I may need a replacement.

Thre is one more thing I have been noticing, rather hearing for the last few days, sometimes while braking there is a sound of a click from the pedal.

This morning I drove for about 10 Km or so and the sound came twince, then after parking I waited for about 10 mts or so and then pressed the pedal again & I could hear the distinct Click again but only once, after that on pressing the pedal it did not come on.

Later while driving to the office I could hear it once during the journey of 5 Kms.

Any inputs / ideas from the gurus on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The squeak from suspension is a greasing issue. Get the Jumping rod/anti roll bar bushes checked.
As for the wiper, replace it, normally indian vehicles use syndicate wipers, and its a miracle if they last 2 years

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks