Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2008, 21:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, since the main engine fan is constantly running unlike that of in Marutis and other cars where they are battery operated and come on after reaching certain temperature, there is no thermostatic valve to regulate the coolant flow.

Experts please comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Apart from what has already been suggested:

AC condenser fins dirty.

Thermostatic valve in coolant circuit malfunctioning, or partially choked.
Old 15th June 2008, 21:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, a thermostatic valve would be in order as per good engineering practice.
Old 18th June 2008, 21:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Any update on your Scorpio's heating issues?
Old 18th June 2008, 23:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Any update on your Scorpio's heating issues?
Will be visiting a.s.s this saturday. will update then.
Old 19th June 2008, 11:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
anupmathur,
Does the following describe the function of this valve?
- Closed: The coolant doesn't go to radiator allowing the engine to quickly reach (or remain in) the operating temp range.
- Open: Allows coolant to reach the radiator and keeps the engine temp from going too high.

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 19th June 2008, 11:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2008 at 14:15.
anupmathur is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th June 2008, 13:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Indeed it is a good engineering practice but not present in pre-CRDe Scorpio & pre-DICOR Safari.

Quote:
Old 24th June 2008, 12:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i visited the m.a.s.s last weekend, got the vehicle checked. Service adviser said the engine heat is still under normal level(since mine is a 1st gen scorpio) so no need to worry.

i didnt give it for a full service though since i was in a hurry. they just did a general checkup and these parts were replaced:

hose clip - rs:10
cover thermostat housing - rs:189
nef-o ring breather cap- rs:9
seal thermostat - rs:12
nef-assembly breather cap - rs:208
Old 24th June 2008, 13:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
anupmathur,
Does the following describe the function of this valve?
- Closed: The coolant doesn't go to radiator allowing the engine to quickly reach (or remain in) the operating temp range.
- Open: Allows coolant to reach the radiator and keeps the engine temp from going too high.

Cheers,
Su-47
Sorry Su-47, if you are thinking I did not answer your question!

My exact answer was: "Exactly!.................................".

Got me an infraction, LOL!!
Old 10th December 2008, 17:26   #25
SYJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
For the past one month, i feel that my scorpio's engine is overheating and i dont know the reason. So please share your knowledge about this and let me know what could have went wrong. im attaching a picture of the heat gauge.

Attachment 21050

The needle goes upto the red mark that i've made, is this normal?

even i noticed the same prob recently. here is the pic.but mine is a crde engine
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-dsc02546.jpg  

Last edited by SYJ : 10th December 2008 at 17:27.
Old 20th December 2008, 21:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Guys, im having a weird problem with my scorpio's(non-crde) idle rpm. What happened is, few days ago, i gave the scorp for an oil service(asked them to change all oils and filters) and upon receiving the vehicle after the service, i noticed that idle rpm was higher than it used to be for so many years.

The high rpm affected the drivability a lot. The vehicle started to guzzle a lot of diesel, couldnt drive slowly with higher gear(previously it can run at 30 to 40kmph in the 3rd gear, but after the hihg rpm issue, i had to shift down to 2nd and 1st very often in city driving). So i sent the scorp back to the garage to correct the rpm issue.

I dont know what they did, but this time they reduced the rpm too low and starting problem creeped in(it is much worse during cold start). And the most annoying problem that exists now is whenever i press the clutch(after the engine heats up) while starting off from traffic signals are when i keep the clutch pressed for 5 to 10 seconds in bumper to bumper traffic, the falls below 500 and the vehicle tends to shut off.

i took the scorp to a local garage, the checked the diesel pump and tweaked the rpm settings but no use.

Now, what do you guys think the problem might be?

Green mark shows the point at which the idle rpm used to stay before the service and red mark shows the higher rpm level after the service.
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-rpm.jpg

Here, the red mark shows the rpm after cold start(it raises very LITTLE after the engine heats up)
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-rpm-2.jpg

PS: i was not able to notice the rpm issue immediately after each service because i was out of city during those times.

Last edited by badboyscad : 20th December 2008 at 21:36.
Old 31st January 2009, 15:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

hi badboyscad, has your rpm problem solved?

and why did you boycott mHawk owners from this thread?
Old 8th March 2009, 10:20   #28
BHPian

Engine vibration revisited...Interesting observation

Thought I should share this with you'll: Scorpio non Crde 2005

I had a very very mild (almost unnoticeable) engine related vibration between 1200 to 1400 rpm. Would happen under all conditions ie. acceleration, decceleration, gear engaged (clutch depressed) etc etc. So chasing that got me new engine / gear mounts, fuel delivery tweaks etc. and though the engine was much smoother (obviously) that original vibration, though much less was still present.

Went to the ASC and they told me it was present in all the 2.6 engines !!! They further got me into a couple to demonstrate and sure enough, I found that every 2.6 non Crde and Crde had this mild vibration. Further went on to try the 2.2s (M-Hawk) and there was no vibration.

Isn't it odd that the 2.6s passed R&D and went into production with this vibration.

Would appreciate comment, if any, on this.

Last edited by Mohnish : 8th March 2009 at 10:21.
Old 8th March 2009, 12:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
Isn't it odd that the 2.6s passed R&D and went into production with this vibration.

Would appreciate comment, if any, on this.
Mohnish, my take on this is slightly different: I do not expect the NVH of a petrol engine in a diesel. Maybe my car also has it, but I have probably considered this as normal. Maybe, you should drive mine to gauge what you consider acceptable. Seems to be no other way around it.

And, very importantly, I am strongly against having things 'touched' in my car. I like 'stock' and will bear minor issues as long as the grease monkeys at the authorized service centres do not get their hands on my car!

Most diesel engined vehicles have a vibration issue somewhere in their rev band. I read reports about the mHawk gear lever vibrations.
Tolerance levels have to be higher for mild vibrations in diesel engines. And the fact that on the outside they make quite a clatter! Thoughtfully quiet nocturnal arrivals & departures in quiet neighbourhoods are not afforded by these vehicles, LOL!
Old 8th March 2009, 13:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

& mohnish: is you other car a petrol?
as anup sir said, you should expect some amount of vibration in a mahindra diesel! but to be frank, the scorpio CRDe engine is very refined & smooth, so i feel you will have to adjust with that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks