Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 06:51   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hondadude, Which sales centre in bangalore was this?
Sireesh, Hosur Road.
Old 29th March 2009, 10:08   #107
Senior - BHPian

M&M not giving extended warranty on the autobox can only mean one thing to a customer - that sufficient field tests have not been done!
The customer is the one who is expected to do these with his hard earned money!
So that the Americans can finally be given that warranty?

I'd definitely stay away from such a product! Though of course, it's all a matter of perceived value and the costs that might be incurred. Might still suit some.
Old 30th March 2009, 03:53   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
So, while other versions of Scorpio are selling like hot cakes, AT doesn't seem to be doing all that well. This is ofcourse my deduction based on my observations.
My view is that Automatics make sense for cars that are predominantly used in the city. I would guess the people generally buy MUV/SUVs for long distance cruising and I would much prefer the sporty drivability of a manual transmission on the highways than an automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Apparently, after the face-lift, SLE version seems to be in big demand now that it comes with MHawk and without the silly stuff (IMO, no offense) like rain sensing wipers, cruise control and tyre pressure sensor.
I totally agree with this. I had pretty much finalized on a Safar GX but the SLE with Mhawk engine and ABS and none of the electronic junk made me re-consider the Scorpio. With the revised pricing it is definitely VFM option.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:31   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Mahindra is getting into the US market which is more a AT country than MT. So, if they are not sure of their AT, that too when selling in America, they are asking for trouble. So, I will be less worried about that....
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
M&M not giving extended warranty on the autobox can only mean one thing to a customer - that sufficient field tests have not been done!
The customer is the one who is expected to do these with his hard earned money!
So that the Americans can finally be given that warranty?...
I checked out the M&M U.S. web site and they have the Scorpio AT slated for Fall 2010 debut...with driver & front passenger dual stage air bags.

So, I figure either we are the subjects of beta testing R&D? Or maybe M&M keeping the costs low enough to introduce the AT in the AT resistant Indian markets thereby not introducing the airbags?...I'm not sure, but I think the airbags are a legal requirement in the U.S.

@Anup: About field tests Anup, the AT box is an extensively tried and tested unit, commonly used in the Australian Fords and some Korean SUV. So I doubt the reliability of the box is an issue. If at all, it may be the mating of the M-Hawk 2.2 with the AT box which was done locally...?

All very confusing, makes one want to wait a bit and get a market report prior to purchase, but then if it sells well the price would go up, and if it doesn't, one will never know the reality.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:38   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
I checked out the M&M U.S. web site and they have the Scorpio AT slated for Fall 2010 debut...with driver & front passenger dual stage air bags...
As Anup said earlier, so are we the guinea pigs here?

Quote:
... the AT box is an extensively tried and tested unit, commonly used in the Australian Fords and some Korean SUV. So I doubt the reliability of the box is an issue. If at all, it may be the mating of the M-Hawk 2.2 with the AT box which was done locally...?
True. The gears themselves are a reliable unit. The engine is also reliable. Now the concern is how these two have been matched and fit! We all are now aware of the high rate of gear change when in city traffic. Now, is this alright or a bad thing in the long run? If this is a bad thing, we will have gear issues, purely due to a design issue.

Quote:
...All very confusing, makes one want to wait a bit and get a market report prior to purchase, but then if it sells well the price would go up, and if it doesn't, one will never know the reality.
Mohnish, why don't you test drive the MT, just for the heck of it, and see if driving it in your daily run is as bad as you think it is. You will need to let go for the lesser evil here. Either the pain of driving a MT in city traffic or getting into AT territory with so many doubts.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 30th March 2009 at 10:40.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:46   #111
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes, it is better to just take the plunge with the heart!
It's easy to forgive when you're in love!
Old 30th March 2009, 11:10   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Scorpio AT Review - BS Motoring

Have a look at this review I managed to dig and read yesterday: Top Story - Geared up - Business Standard Motoring
Old 30th March 2009, 11:32   #113
BHPian

Quote:
...Mohnish, why don't you test drive the MT, just for the heck of it...
I currently have the 2005 non Crde SLX and am using it regularly...My other car is an E220CDI Benz (Automatic)...So I have got pretty spoilt with the autobox habit!!! Really quite fed up of the traffic snarls in Mumbai, and my daily commute is well into 35km in city....The Benz is a pleasure to drive, but then for this kind of traffic you need something more dominating...and what more than a Scorp with the luxuries of a Benz??? Sure the 'finish' is not 'upto' the mark...but you win some you loose some.

Quote:
Love is blind eh??!? As I said earlier..I am smitten !

Quote:
Have a look at this review I managed to dig and read yesterday: Top Story - Geared up - Business Standard Motoring
Going by that review...pretty much seals the deal...Now to raise the finds..what say Anup?

Last edited by Mohnish : 30th March 2009 at 11:33.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a neat review. Lays to rest most of Mohnish's doubts.

So Mohnish, when is it happening?
Old 30th March 2009, 12:21   #115
BANNED

Quote:
------------------
I'd definitely stay away from such a product! Though of course, it's all a matter of perceived value and the costs that might be incurred. Might still suit some.
I agree.

Have you test driven the 2009 Verna CRDI SX AT (automatic) yet? That's going to be one hell of a diesel performer with AT with Hyundai's AT reliability!
Old 30th March 2009, 12:50   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mags said it was very good. BUT.... T-BHP seems to suggest that it is a total no-no!
Quote:
Quote:
.My other car is an E220CDI Benz (Automatic)...
...Now to raise the finds..what say Anup?
LOL, Mohnish, you are well heeled already!
I'd say go ahead and buy it!
Most Auto mags were quite impressed with the autobox Scorpio.
There's a good chance it'll work out well.
If it gives you pleasure for two years and asks for some money to fix her, it really will not hurt much!
Old 30th March 2009, 13:14   #117
BHPian

Quote:
...So Mohnish, when is it happening?
HappyWheels, will do as soon as I can work out the Funds, funds .... funds!!!
Am in the process of selling my current 2005 non Crde SLX...lets see what I get for it, then will take the next step. Don't want to purchase the AT VLX and then try to sell off the 2005 SLX..

Quote:
LOL, Mohnish, you are well heeled already!
I'd say go ahead and buy it!
Anup, that Benz didn't come cheap....now you know why the funds funds funds thing going on!!!

Quote:
Most Auto mags were quite impressed with the autobox Scorpio.
There's a good chance it'll work out well.
If it gives you pleasure for two years and asks for some money to fix her, it really will not hurt much!
You know Anup, I seriously doubt that anything should really go wrong if well taken care off...right? After all, M&M is not some start up company and nor is the AT manufacturer...The history with both are pretty good and reliable.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:36   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Am in the process of selling my current 2005 non Crde SLX...lets see what I get for it, then will take the next step. Don't want to purchase the AT VLX and then try to sell off the 2005 SLX...
I do not see much difficulty in selling this one. Though not sure, aren't this some of the highly sort after makes?

Quote:
...You know Anup, I seriously doubt that anything should really go wrong if well taken care off...right? After all, M&M is not some start up company and nor is the AT manufacturer...The history with both are pretty good and reliable.
That is true. Both are reliable manufacturers. But, it is not that at question here, its the technology that is holding them both together. But then, lets us be the optimists here. For all we know, they might be going the extra mile and making sure things are top-notch now, at least to gain market acceptance.
Old 30th March 2009, 14:04   #119
BHPian

Quote:
I do not see much difficulty in selling this one. Though not sure, aren't this some of the highly sort after makes?
No difficulty in finding buyers...The fact that I have alloys and a Pioneer HU with amp and X-plodes limits the buyers to those who are willing to pay for these extras. The 'regular' buyers don't appreciate the condition and these extras...So either I wait for the right buyer with the price or just sell at the regular 'going rate'...

Quote:
That is true. Both are reliable manufacturers. But, it is not that at question here, its the technology that is holding them both together. But then, lets us be the optimists here. For all we know, they might be going the extra mile and making sure things are top-notch now, at least to gain market acceptance.
I figure, as they are intending to market in the U.S. this same setup, they must be going the extra mile.
Old 30th March 2009, 15:13   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
I agree.

Have you test driven the 2009 Verna CRDI SX AT (automatic) yet? That's going to be one hell of a diesel performer with AT with Hyundai's AT reliability!
Now that would not be fun for someone whose been driving around a Benz and a Scorpio. IMO the verna feels like a downgrade from the Scorpio simply because of the lack of space even by sedan standards.
The motor is superb, the build quality and finish isn't the best but is quit good.

manson.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks