Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2009, 12:01   #151
Senior - BHPian

Thanks HappyWheels,

I have no issues with the replacements, the gear box has already been changed once, the issue was that the 5th gear used to slip out while driving.
Next time the clutch was adjusted.
The gear stick heats up, last time I reported, I was told it is normal .

Now so many issues have started in one go starting from engine noise, stiff gears, loose clutch, stuttering brakes, faulty ignition assembly this time round.

If I start from all the issues which I have faced since I brought this car in Sep '08 it will cover a few A4 sheets with a whole laundry list of mechanical faults every where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Seems like Sideways has also faced issues with his gear box. Check his post, which I am quoting entirely here for reference.
Sideways, maybe you can add how you got the service center to get all these things done. Might help out M_Upreti too.
EDIT: And he has, just above:
Old 4th April 2009, 12:20   #152
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mohnish,
This was taken care by the A.S.S. they did some adjustments in the clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
How was it taken care off, by whom and what was the defect?
Old 6th April 2009, 11:04   #153
BHPian

chennai scorpio owners.

i used to service at MPL and the service used to be good.Of late i find they overcharge and all the ok types advisors and good mechanics have vanished. The two senior mechanics there currently are also known to me and they are only average in my view.
Where do you all go for service? simple issues?
pls advice.
Old 7th April 2009, 12:06   #154
Senior - BHPian

Hi Update on the issues afrer the car was inspected by the Mahindra Area Office Incharge & the A.S.S:

1. For the last few days I am feeling that the Car is literally dragging itself and begging for more power. Usually in 5th gear between 90-100 KMPH the tech is showing 2300-2500 RPM, earlier it used to be under 2000.
In the 4th if I near 80 it climbs up to 3000 rpm.

No change, I am told it is normal.

2. The average the down to 9 from 11+ i was getting earlier.

Filled yeaterday, will monitor and update.

3. The engine noice has also increased (noisier than my neighbours old CRDE) and so have the viberations in the car.

Noise seems to be lesser but still more than what it used to be earlier. Viberations have lessened.

4. The gears have become extremely hard and stiff, and it is taking an effort to change.

The issue was attributed to the packing around the gear lever rod to keep it in place & prevent it from heating. No change. The gears are still not smooth.

5. The clutch has become extremly soft, and more often than not i need to pump before I can change the gear.

The play in the clutch is still there, I am told it is normal. I tried 3 more Scorpio Vlx parked with the *** (Not new), the same issues persist.

6. Ignition key assembly

This has been replaced and working perfectly.

Over all I am at loss for words, I would request fellow BHPIAN's in and around Navi Mumbai do a TD of my Scorpio and provide a verdict.

Last edited by m_upreti : 7th April 2009 at 12:11.
Old 7th April 2009, 12:21   #155
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be an improvement to the earlier situation. But then I do not buy the 'it's normal' answer unless it is checked and verified. Especially the one about the gear packing.

Why don't you have a drive in their TD vehicle and check? You should see more or less the same characters, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
... Over all I am at loss for words, I would request fellow BHPIAN's in and around Navi Mumbai do a TD of my Scorpio and provide a verdict.
A good idea!

EDIT: One person I can immediately think of from Mumbai is Raj_5004. Why don't you PM Raj_5004 and ask him? He has spend a good amount of time with Scorpio's to give you a good feedback.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 7th April 2009 at 12:24.
Old 7th April 2009, 13:48   #156
Senior - BHPian

M_upreti, I think this matter needs to be escalated.
Nothing seems to be right!

Do see if Raj might be willing to use his good offices to help sort out these issues.
Old 7th April 2009, 13:57   #157
Senior - BHPian

Hi, You are right but I am no expert.

I had dirven the TD vehicle prior to purchasing this car but if I compare my Scorpio to that TD vehicle it is miles ahead probably due to the reason that the TD vehicles pass through so many hands.

There was one more issue that felt was there:

The Brake pedals and the front part of the body made strange noises and viberations once on hard braking (this I can simulate & even showed to the A.S.S. person).

This was attributed to the working of the ABS which was preventing the wheels from locking. I have accepted the explanation since this is my first vehicle with ABS and again I am no expert.
So if some experts can comment I would be thankful.

Quote:
This seems to be an improvement to the earlier situation. But then I do not buy the 'it's normal' answer unless it is checked and verified. Especially the one about the gear packing.

Why don't you have a drive in their TD vehicle and check? You should see more or less the same characters, isn't it?
Old 7th April 2009, 14:02   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Brake pedals and the front part of the body made strange noises and viberations once on hard braking (this I can simulate & even showed to the A.S.S. person).

This was attributed to the working of the ABS which was preventing the wheels from locking.
If you felt the brake pedal pulsing violently on hard braking, that would be the ABS
Old 7th April 2009, 14:03   #159
Senior - BHPian

^^ When ABS is working, what will happen is that you will get the knocking feeling (or noticeable vibration) on the brake pedal. You will also have the related noise of the brakes being pumped fastly to prevent the locking. But, this should ONLY be there in case you are near wheel locking state and not under ordinary hard braking situation (difference between hard braking and panic braking).

So, was it panic braking where you just stood on the brakes or were you well in control that you just wanted to hard brake and stop with a clear distance to brake?

Last edited by HappyWheels : 7th April 2009 at 14:23. Reason: Break vs Brake!!! English!!!
Old 7th April 2009, 14:13   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, was it panic braking where you just stood on the brakes or were you well in control that you just wanted to hard brake and stop with a clear distance to break?
Sometimes, its a wee bit more pressure that converts "hard" to "panic" braking - as far as the ABS is concerned. Many a time, I've left the braking for far too late, say at a speedbreaker - decide at the last minute that I will stop & go over gently (rather than fly over it). So - hard braking & ABS kicks in..........
Old 7th April 2009, 14:34   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
M_upreti, I think this matter needs to be escalated. Nothing seems to be right!
Do see if Raj might be willing to use his good offices to help sort out these issues.
Hi Anup,

I have already escalated the matter to the highest in M&M.

As always the response was prompt and the vehicle was checked yesterday and all explanations received.
But somehow I still have a doubt as the car is still not performing the way it used to earlier. The feeling of a lack of power and high amount of engine noise still remain (which was not there earlier).

But as of now I have given up until I get a neutral opinion (apart from mine & M&M) before I blame the Car and the the manufacturer any more.

Raj seems to be busy these days as I have not seen him around for some time. I will get in touch with him once he is active again.
Old 7th April 2009, 15:07   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
If you felt the brake pedal pulsing violently on hard braking, that would be the ABS
Quote:
^^ When ABS is working, what will happen is that you will get the knocking feeling (or noticeable vibration) on the brake pedal. You will also have the related noise of the brakes being pumped fastly to prevent the locking. But, this should ONLY be there in case you are near wheel locking state and not under ordinary hard braking situation (difference between hard braking and panic braking).
So, was it panic braking where you just stood on the brakes or were you well in control that you just wanted to hard brake and stop with a clear distance to brake?
Thanks Suman, HappyWheels,
Thanks for the expert opinion.
The same explanation came from M&M, so this was my ignorance I stand corrected. I have been able to simulate this issue 100 % of the times with some hard braking, even during the TD with the A.S.S. Service manager. His explanation was quiet detailed and logical.

This issue came up first when I braked harder than usual, it was not exactly panic braking but yes hard.
Old 7th April 2009, 15:16   #163
Senior - BHPian

All seems to be fine on the ABS front.

Quote:
...This issue came up first when I braked harder than usual, it was not exactly panic braking but yes hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sometimes, its a wee bit more pressure that converts "hard" to "panic" braking - as far as the ABS is concerned...
Old 7th April 2009, 20:19   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Over all I am at loss for words, I would request fellow BHPIAN's in and around Navi Mumbai do a TD of my Scorpio and provide a verdict.
Quote:
A good idea!

EDIT: One person I can immediately think of from Mumbai is Raj_5004. Why don't you PM Raj_5004 and ask him? He has spend a good amount of time with Scorpio's to give you a good feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Quote:
Raj seems to be busy these days as I have not seen him around for some time. I will get in touch with him once he is active again.
hi upreti, sorry for the delay in response buddy.
i am not so busy that i cant help you out with this issue. infact, i would be glad if i can be of some help to you.
we can definitely meet sometime and drive your car or you can drive my car to come to a fair conclusion.
i think we can definitely come to a vedict after that.
also, which mahindra A.S.S. attends your scorpio?
good luck.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 7th April 2009 at 20:23.
Old 7th April 2009, 20:31   #165
Senior - BHPian

The problem, dear Raj, is that no one can even send a PM to you!
Tried it many moons ago and was told Raj does not accept!

Have you enabled it now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks