Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 17:14   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
I agree.

Have you test driven the 2009 Verna CRDI SX AT (automatic) yet? That's going to be one hell of a diesel performer with AT with Hyundai's AT reliability!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Now that would not be fun for someone whose been driving around a Benz and a Scorpio. IMO the verna feels like a downgrade from the Scorpio simply because of the lack of space even by sedan standards.
The motor is superb, the build quality and finish isn't the best but is quit good.

manson.
Honestly, I really really appreciate the Scorp...The Benz is, in my opinion a wonderful car but pretty overpriced considering the current standards of engineering which I feel are not way ahead of other manufacturers as they used to be till about the mid nineties. Anyhow, thats what you pay for the marquee I guess, but still I wouldn't trade my loyalties for the Benz or the Scorpio for any other make.

Having said that...In comparison to a Verna or even the Pajero, my requirement is definately a solid All purpose vehicle with all the luxuries thrown in at a comparitively throw away price that would not cost me a bomb in maintainence and which can be repaired (if need be) practically anyhere in India...Given the current scenario and my smitten state, that in my opinion is the Scorp VLX AT. Sure my current 2005 SLX fits the bill of repair anywhere, but then it isn't an AT.

I certainly hope my Mahindra dealership isn't reading this, else I ain't going to get any discounts that I am bargaining for !!!
Old 30th March 2009, 17:22   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt you will get any discounts beyond the namesake corporate discount. This is a new model, and most dealer think they're doing YOU a favor by selling the car!
Old 30th March 2009, 17:53   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I doubt you will get any discounts beyond the namesake corporate discount. This is a new model, and most dealer think they're doing YOU a favor by selling the car!
corporate discount = ??? please explain so that I have another weapon in my bargain arsenal.

Regards the new model I agree with the theory but on the other hand, I haven't seen too many of the new Scorps on the road and the ASC in Mumbai said that they do not have a noticeable or regular number of ATs (old as well as new) coming in for service etc., which makes me conclude that sales are not too hot in the AT segment. Also there is a waiting period of 4 weeks for delivery for the AT which according to me is cause they assemble them on order/booking and which according to the dealer is cause they are selling like 'hot cakes' and they cannot keep up with the orders !!! ...Yeah sure...
Old 30th March 2009, 18:04   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
corporate discount = ??? please explain so that I have another weapon in my bargain arsenal.

Regards the new model I agree with the theory but on the other hand, I haven't seen too many of the new Scorps on the road and the ASC in Mumbai said that they do not have a noticeable or regular number of ATs (old as well as new) coming in for service etc., which makes me conclude that sales are not too hot in the AT segment. Also there is a waiting period of 4 weeks for delivery for the AT which according to me is cause they assemble them on order/booking and which according to the dealer is cause they are selling like 'hot cakes' and they cannot keep up with the orders !!! ...Yeah sure...
All vehicle manufacturers maintain a list of Top companies and offer a "corporate discount" if you work there. Check if your company figures in the dealer's list.

Secondly, all the orders for the new Scorps are made to order. M&M is not making new vehicles and shipping them unless and until a dealer places an order. Thus, the dealer is actually "collecting" orders and placing them on one billing date. All dealers in Bangalore cited this to me and mentioned a 4 week waiting period. 2 months in the case of a Xylo.

Thirdly, I doubt they are very keen on pushing their AT. I dont think they are bothered really. For them its a case of selling sheet metal and as long as that metal pays, then its fine. So bargain hard saying that you are old customer of M&M etc and pull out all the tricks from your hat. I wish you the best
Old 30th March 2009, 18:47   #125
BHPian

Quote:
All vehicle manufacturers maintain a list of Top companies and offer a "corporate discount" if you work there... Check if your company figures in the dealer's list.

Secondly, all the orders for the new Scorps are made to order. M&M is not making new vehicles and shipping them unless and until a dealer places an order. Thus, the dealer is actually "collecting" orders and placing them on one billing date. All dealers in Bangalore cited this to me and mentioned a 4 week waiting period. 2 months in the case of a Xylo...
...I wish you the best
Unfortunately, I am self employed !!! So thats as far as the corporate discount goes. The other stuff you wrote is really informative and atleast now I am aware that whatever 'deal' I manage will be the best possible....Thanks again...!
Old 30th March 2009, 20:07   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

I am self-employed too...but someday I will get my company into that forbidden "corporate-list" :P
Old 30th March 2009, 20:28   #127
BHPian

Quote:
I am self-employed too...but someday I will get my company into that forbidden "corporate-list" :P
All the best ... Good luck
Old 31st March 2009, 13:41   #128
BANNED

Mohnish,

Considering that you need a powerful diesel with a reliable AT, that can be serviced virtually in any town in India, the Verna CRDI SX AT should fit the bill.

However, it is not an off roader. So perhaps on that front it may not be the right choice and you must stick to the Scorpio automatic.

Warm regards,
Sandeep
Old 31st March 2009, 14:20   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Considering that you need a powerful diesel with a reliable AT, that can be serviced virtually in any town in India, the Verna CRDI SX AT should fit the bill...
Sandeep,

Mohnish requirement is for vehicle that has a very good on-road presence; the mean, rough and muscular look.

What other than Scorpio will fit?
Old 31st March 2009, 14:31   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Sandeep,

Mohnish requirement is for vehicle that has a very good on-road presence; the mean, rough and muscular look.

Well, on those parameters the Scorpio certainly fits the bill.

I nearly booked the Scorpio VLX with mHawk after knowing it from specs and road tests, and looking at it from the outside.

But one look at the interiors and seats, I felt that I was sitting in a Mahindra jeep. It looked too cheap for the 12 Lakhs on road cost.

I changed my mind, and decided to go for the powerful Verna - and have been very happy with the decision.

This of course is my individual opinion, and anyway road presence and muscular looks are the best in a Scorpio! But somehow, its interiors were a big turn off for me!
Old 31st March 2009, 20:10   #131
Senior - BHPian

Let alone AT's I am yet to see the New "Mighty Muscular" Scorpio on the NAvi Mumbai roads, I have see couple of Xylos around (2 to be exact). Won der where the sales have gone despite the reports that the RTO collected a record registration fees last week.

Seems to be a rather long wait period for Mahindra Vehicles

Quote:

Old 31st March 2009, 22:14   #132
BHPian

Quote:
...However, it is not an off roader. So perhaps on that front it may not be the right choice and you must stick to the Scorpio automatic...
Sandeep, its not the semi off road capabilities (2WD) that I require...its more for the horrble flooding and road conditions ( I figure that is what semi off road is!!!) and the aggresive rickshaws etc...Need something that "makes its own road"!!! SUV definately...and at the price, considering the other options available, I think its a steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Sandeep,

Absolutely, thats why I stand smitten.

Quote:
...But one look at the interiors and seats, I felt that I was sitting in a Mahindra jeep. It looked too cheap for the 12 Lakhs on road cost...But somehow, its interiors were a big turn off for me!
I agree, they could have done a much better job with the 'finish' and doubt it would have cost much more...but then that would probably mean retooling and that should have been done in the first place. But again, you get a lot of great stuff for the 12L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Let alone AT's I am yet to see the New "Mighty Muscular" Scorpio on the NAvi Mumbai roads, I have see couple of Xylos around (2 to be exact). Won der where the sales have gone despite the reports that the RTO collected a record registration fees last week....
I have actually seen only one of the New "Mighty Muscular" and only a couple of Xylos around!!! Yeah where are they???

Anyhow, I have decided...for my requirement its the VLX AT ... Now to get things rolling...!
Old 1st April 2009, 08:19   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Anyhow, I have decided...for my requirement its the VLX AT ... Now to get things rolling...!
Congrats Mohnish! Once you get delivery, please post you review on how the Scorpio AT performed.
Old 1st April 2009, 09:41   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Mohnish! Once you get delivery, please post you review on how the Scorpio AT performed.
Hold on there Sandeep not so fast!!! I still have the initial issue of raising funds going on!!! Really hope that area can be worked out. If I get to that stage of posting a review, believe me, I will be elated
Old 1st April 2009, 10:36   #135
BANNED

I'm curious to know what the current car loan interest rates are?

Mohnish? Are you going through a loan?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks