Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 21:35   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
Ok...I'm back...hard disk crashed
Welcome back, Mohnish!
How on earth do you get back with a crashed hard disk?
Errrr...you do mean the computer's HDD and not the front brake hard disk?

LOL, what's your take on these recent happenings?
Old 27th March 2009, 22:06   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Welcome back, Mohnish!
How on earth do you get back with a crashed hard disk?
Errrr...you do mean the computer's HDD and not the front brake hard disk?

LOL, what's your take on these recent happenings?
LOL !!! The take my friend is that I am pretty smitten by the automatic VLX...yep I know, I am "going away" from the "beast" in its original form...but then a beast, which is more comfortable, is still a beast !!!

Getting really tired of the driving conditions in Mumbai ... and then I really don't do the kind of off roading that you and other scorpers here do. My main running is on "roads". Ok all the excuses are done!!! ..So am seriously thinking of trading my current 2005 non Crde SLX and raising the funds to reach the magic figure of approximately 11.5L for the VLX AT....

All the conveniences / luxuries and build quality for the price is really a steal when you compare to what else is available. Then again, irrespective of what else is available, nothing compares to the Scorp!

Hope I am not debarred by Anup for this !!!!
Old 27th March 2009, 22:14   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL !!! The take my friend is that I am pretty smitten by the automatic VLX...yep I know, I am "going away" from the "beast" in its original form...
Again, LOL!!!

Debarred, as though I am lord of all I survey??

Mohnish, have you tried out the Automatic? Would love to hear a first hand evaluation. The mags said it was very good. BUT.... T-BHP seems to suggest that it is a total no-no!

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2009 at 13:40. Reason: Lets not turn every thread into a Safari versus Scorpio debate
Old 27th March 2009, 22:23   #94
BHPian

Quote:
...Mohnish, have you tried out the Automatic? Would love to hear a first hand evaluation. The mags said it was very good. BUT.... T-BHP seems to suggest that it is a total no-no!...
Yep, test drove it for about 10 kms, but that was not enough at all...I found the gear box extremely smooth in shifting. Even when you engage drive from neutral, you actually cannot "feel" the gear engage, which is quite amazing. The ratios are excellent. The 2.2 power plant is extremely refined...and the amount of littles electronic goodies (cruise control / parktronic etc etc) gove a feel of a luxuru sedan in a true solid built all purpose vehicle. Honestly, if I could have comfortable raise the funds, I would have bougfht it...am in the process of raising the funds .

About other opinions...well to each their own. I personally find it ridiculous that people expect the steadiness of a sedan in an SUV !!!
Old 27th March 2009, 22:25   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, if I could have comfortable raise the funds, I would have bougfht it...am in the process of raising the funds .
How dare you steal the story of MY life, LOL??!!
Old 28th March 2009, 06:44   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Getting really tired of the driving conditions in Mumbai ... and then I really don't do the kind of off roading that you and other scorpers here do. My main running is on "roads". Ok all the excuses are done!!! ..So am seriously thinking of trading my current 2005 non Crde SLX and raising the funds to reach the magic figure of approximately 11.5L for the VLX AT...
You are the perfect candidate for the AT. I guess, when you take delivery, you will the first one here at T-BHP.

Do have a longer test drive and have a feel. We have lots of comments here saying that the gears as all over the place and has not be properly set.

Quote:
....but then team bhp also suggests the safari to be the ultimate beast which is at least as reliable as a scorpio! I dare not LOL!
Sigh!
Old 28th March 2009, 10:03   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, test drove it for about 10 kms, but that was not enough at all...I found the gear box extremely smooth in shifting. Even when you engage drive from neutral, you actually cannot "feel" the gear engage, which is quite amazing. The ratios are excellent. The 2.2 power plant is extremely refined...and the amount of littles electronic goodies (cruise control / parktronic etc etc) gove a feel of a luxuru sedan in a true solid built all purpose vehicle.
I test drove Scorpio AT last Saturday. The first thing I noticed was that the shift lever was making sort of a grinding/squeaky noise when I was shifting it from Park to Drive. May be the case of abused car but something to watch out for. The other thing that I noticed was that the transmission upshifts very very quickly so if at the speed of 30/40, you try to accelerate the lag is very very perceptible and it seems to take some time before it finds the right gear to downshift into. I was quite disappointed because I was seriously considering it.

The other point to note here is that AT does not have the option of extended warranty.
Old 28th March 2009, 11:53   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I test drove Scorpio AT last Saturday. The first thing I noticed was that the shift lever was making sort of a grinding/squeaky noise when I was shifting it from Park to Drive. May be the case of abused car but something to watch out for. The other thing that I noticed was that the transmission upshifts very very quickly so if at the speed of 30/40, you try to accelerate the lag is very very perceptible and it seems to take some time before it finds the right gear to downshift into. I was quite disappointed because I was seriously considering it.

The other point to note here is that AT does not have the option of extended warranty.
did you try the 'sport' mode? or what is it called in the scorpio?
Old 28th March 2009, 12:02   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
did you try the 'sport' mode? or what is it called in the scorpio?
It is called 'M' mode. No, I did not try that. I was planning to do another test drive to see if I feel the same about the transmission. However, once I found out that there is no extended warranty for AT, I dropped the idea.
Old 28th March 2009, 13:06   #100
Senior - BHPian

ok, i read in 'autocar india' that in the normal mode, the gearbox has been designed to upshift quickly in interests of fuel economy & low noise levels. however, in the 'M' mode, it drags till the redline.
Old 28th March 2009, 13:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

It'll be a fatal mistake not to offer extended warranty on this model!
Old 28th March 2009, 22:19   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
...Do have a longer test drive and have a feel...
Yeah absolutely, am planing to do a full day out to my regular runs before I do the booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I test drove Scorpio AT last Saturday. The first thing I noticed was that the shift lever was making sort of a grinding/squeaky noise when I was shifting it from Park to Drive. May be the case of abused car but something to watch out for.
I figure the test car is really abused....the one I drove had 12K on the odo and ran like new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
ok, i read in 'autocar india' that in the normal mode, the gearbox has been designed to upshift quickly in interests of fuel economy & low noise levels. however, in the 'M' mode, it drags till the redline.
Yep that is correct, I did try the "M" mode and it gives excellent control with the engine, though I did miss the fact that I could not change the gear "manually"...It goes to redline everytime...

Quote:
It'll be a fatal mistake not to offer extended warranty on this model!
What does this mean...they are not sure of the longevity...and then is it really expensive to repair/replace

Having said all that...I still stand smitten...Its the auto box + all the goodies at the price and all this in a Scorp...(sone pe suhaaga!!!). Its a great buy for my kind of use...but the lack of extended warranty sounds worrying, specially if the reason is as I suspect above. But then, the only difference between the VLX AT & the VLX MT is the AT box, and the extended warranty is available on the VLX MT (I presume), so does it mean that there are doubts on the AT box??? Again, the AT is an Australian box of reputed manufacture...Drivetrain International Systems ...WHOA READ UPDATE BELOW...The reason for no extended warranty?

Anyone know how good the sales are for the VLX AT compared to the VLX MT and compared to other ATs in the similar segment (if there are any)?

UPDATE:

Drivetrain International Systems in Receivership | Global Insolency
Australia’s ailing car industry has taken another blow, with Albury manufacturer Drivetrain International Systems falling into receivership with debts of $30 million to $40 million, SmartCompany.com.au reported. Production has been suspended for a week, with the company’s 400 workers stood down. Receivers and manager Stephen Longley from PricewaterhouseCooopers will assess the company’s financial position and attempt to sell the business as a going concern. Production is expected to resume next week in a reduced form. The Australian Manufacturing Workers Union expects at least 200 workers will lose their jobs, and are concerned there may not be enough money to pay workers’ entitlements, which are believed to be around $25 million for the entire 400-strong workforce. DSI has been hit hard by the collapse of Korean car marker Ssangyong, not long after DSI had invested heavily in tooling to support its contract with the Korean giant. Customers in India and Russia have also cut back in recent months as the global car industry has stalled

FURTHER UPDATE:

Geely buys Drivetrain Systems International

Geely has acquired Australian automatic transmission manufacturer Drivetrain Systems International. Drivetrain Systems International is the company that supplies the 6-speed automatic transmission to Korean car company Ssangyong, truck sold here in Malaysia. It also supplies transmissions for the Australian-built Ford Falcon and the important Territory...

Last edited by Mohnish : 28th March 2009 at 22:35.
Old 28th March 2009, 23:19   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone know how good the sales are for the VLX AT compared to the VLX MT and compared to other ATs in the similar segment (if there are any)?
I am guessing that sales of AT isn't doing well because

- When I asked for TD of AT, the salesperson told me that they share one AT car among two dealership so they would have to check and call me back. After some time she called me back saying that it is actually with them so I can come for the TD. I am assuming that if AT was being TD'ed frequently, she would have known the whereabouts of that car without the need for looking for it.

- When I went for the TD, it took them some time to get the AT car out. It was in third row (there were two other scorps ahead of it) and extremely dusty. This implies that the car hasn't been used for some time. There was no fuel in it too and I had to wait for some more time before they got some fuel for it.

So, while other versions of Scorpio are selling like hot cakes, AT doesn't seem to be doing all that well. This is ofcourse my deduction based on my observations.

Apparently, after the face-lift, SLE version seems to be in big demand now that it comes with MHawk and without the silly stuff (IMO, no offense) like rain sensing wipers, cruise control and tyre pressure sensor.
Old 29th March 2009, 01:08   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Hondadude, Which sales centre in bangalore was this?

Last edited by Red Liner : 29th March 2009 at 01:10.
Old 29th March 2009, 06:44   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...What does this mean...they are not sure of the longevity...and then is it really expensive to repair/replace

Having said all that...I still stand smitten...Its the auto box + all the goodies at the price and all this in a Scorp...(sone pe suhaaga!!!). Its a great buy for my kind of use...but the lack of extended warranty sounds worrying, specially if the reason is as I suspect above. ...
Mahindra is getting into the US market which is more a AT country than MT. So, if they are not sure of their AT, that too when selling in America, they are asking for trouble. So, I will be less worried about that.

And yes, from your point of view, the lack of extended warranty is surely a damper! Were you able to get any answer from the dealer as to why the extended warranty is not offered? Or maybe write to M&M customer care and ask.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks