Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 14:47   #7741
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Is this the product you ordered: Carware

Please share the pics once you are done.
Yes, it is the same product that I had ordered. Will post pics soon. Currently have pics taken on my mobile but those will not do justice to the quality of output hence not posting them.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 23:57   #7742
BHPian

It looks like this has not been asked much before, the search gets a few hits but no solutions.

Problem: fungus or mold.

Where : plastics and upholstery. Dashboard, door sills, seats, steering wheel

How bad : initial stages , small patches of white fungus over several places. I check the car at least every 3 days. So far it's mild and no smell as yet, but I cleaned it once and it reappeared, cleaned again 2 days ago.

I will try bathing the car in sunlight at next opportunity, but as far as cleaning goes, are there any products that will get rid of the fungus and prevent quick regrowth ?
Old 6th August 2013, 00:17   #7743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
It looks like this has not been asked much before, the search gets a few hits but no solutions.

How bad : initial stages , small patches of white fungus over several places. I check the car at least every 3 days. So far it's mild and no smell as yet, but I cleaned it once and it reappeared, cleaned again 2 days ago.

I will try bathing the car in sunlight at next opportunity, but as far as cleaning goes, are there any products that will get rid of the fungus and prevent quick regrowth ?
Wipe using dettol or Savlon. I had a major fungus/mold problem when I had put the car into storage. Wiped all surfaces using dettol, fungus did not appear when the car went into storage the next time.

Get a steam cleaning/treatment done for the interiors, gets rid of the moldy smell.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 09:08   #7744
BHPian

Quote:

Lysol diluted 1:1 with water. You can use the concentrated form directly for the carpet too. Besides being a very good anti-microbial/fungicide it is a very good cleaning agent too. Pick your choice of fragrance .
Dettol/savlon would also do but the car will smell like hospital.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 11:11   #7745
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Lysol diluted 1:1 with water. You can use the concentrated form directly for the carpet too. Besides being a very good anti-microbial/fungicide it is a very good cleaning agent too. Pick your choice of fragrance .
Have you used Lysol in your car ? Is it too heavy for the car's interiors including the dash ?
Old 8th August 2013, 13:26   #7746
BHPian

How about 70% ethanol diluted with water. Fill it in an empty colin spray bottle and voila, u can reach the most difficult corners and eradication of fungus/bacteria/molds guaranteed. This is the handy solution, widely used in laminar air flow for cell culturing.
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 15:27   #7747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Have you used Lysol in your car ? Is it too heavy for the car's interiors including the dash ?
I used to treat fungus on my carpet. Very effective. And yes ethanol/iso propyl alcohol can also be used.
People use APC for cleaning interiors. Compared to APC Lysol is a much milder product.

Last edited by archat68 : 8th August 2013 at 15:39.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 18:04   #7748
Senior - BHPian

Received my Kestrel/Deltalyo DAS6 Power+ today from greenzcarcare.com
Thumbs up to Hari for a transparent buying experience & for keeping in touch throughout the process.

In the box:

850w Machine
5" / 6" Backing Plate
Adjustable 'D' Handle / nuts / washers / allen key
2 Spare Motor Brushes
Wrench

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20130809_175754.jpg

Next step is to get some pads and break this one out. Hopefully the monsoons subside soon!
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 21:56   #7749
BHPian

Hi, We have a new TVS Wego scooter in metallic grey colour. Can you suggest some products to preserve the looks? Like a polish, wax, hand pad etc for the paint and plastic preserver also. Is the Formula 1 brand good? I've seen it around quite a bit in the shops.
Old 10th August 2013, 10:08   #7750
BHPian

Guys - other than Carpro Eraser available with Greenzcarcare.com, any other leading brand IPA/Panel Wipe is available in India? Eraser is expensive but I don't want to use the medical grade IPA available at medical stores. Would like something like Eraser, Gtechniq Panel Wipe or Bilt Hamber Cleanser Fluid if available at a better price locally.
Old 11th August 2013, 12:54   #7751
Senior - BHPian

I use generic IPA as panel wipe and it works great. Sealants after IPA wipe down last a lot longer as you know.
Old 11th August 2013, 19:48   #7752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Wipe using dettol or Savlon. I had a major fungus/mold problem when I had put the car into storage. Wiped all surfaces using dettol, fungus did not appear when the car went into storage the next time.

Get a steam cleaning/treatment done for the interiors, gets rid of the moldy smell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Thanks guys, I didn't think of Dettol and Lysol, but that's mainly because some of the mold infestation is on the (leather) seats, and I don't know if that is safe to use on leather. Plastics should not be an issue to use Dettol/Lysol.

Same with steam treatment - how does leather hold up ?
No odor as of now, the infestation is mild and in patches. Used Turtlewax leather cleaner/conditioner yesterday and wiped the seats.
Old 11th August 2013, 23:33   #7753
Senior - BHPian

A touch of bonnet detailing, still lots of scratches though which aren't showing in this pic

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-car2.jpg
bottle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 11:31   #7754
BHPian

my car is covered with scratches big and small, funny thing is i have no idea how it happened and i dont feel any impacts whatsoever so i am beginning to suspect some foul play by the kids in my flats. Ill post pictures later and wait for your suggestions.
Old 12th August 2013, 11:57   #7755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys, I didn't think of Dettol and Lysol, but that's mainly because some of the mold infestation is on the (leather) seats, and I don't know if that is safe to use on leather. Plastics should not be an issue to use Dettol/Lysol.

Same with steam treatment - how does leather hold up ?
Dettol is safe on leather, I've used it myself. Steam treatment as well, but its best used on carpets and AC vents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks