Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2012, 17:32   #6241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp

The thought is that ONR has polymers which bond with the car paint. These will prevent the wax from bonding well with the paint, hence not give a good finish.
But almost all detailers will use ONR as lubrication for claying before polish and wax.
Old 12th September 2012, 18:29   #6242
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I have a slightly different experience with ONR and car shampoo.

Living in Mumbai and driving on the highways in the rain, a car becomes pretty picturesque to look at (pun intended). Now I have tried both approaches i.e. washing with shampoo then claying and also washing with ONR then claying. I've actually found, much to my surprise, ONR is equally apt in cleaning the dirt / muck / grime plastered all across the body courtesy the rains. It does the job very very effectively without much fuss.

The same process I had followed on another occasion and used Meg Car shampoo. Meg was good and cleaned the car but I had to use ONR to make a lubricant before claying. Not to mention the excess use of water when you shampoo.

Either ways the desired result is same just that with ONR you use less water & less effort.
Old 12th September 2012, 19:05   #6243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra
I have a slightly different experience with ONR and car shampoo.

Living in Mumbai and driving on the highways in the rain, a car becomes pretty picturesque to look at (pun intended). Now I have tried both approaches i.e. washing with shampoo then claying and also washing with ONR then claying. I've actually found, much to my surprise, ONR is equally apt in cleaning the dirt / muck / grime plastered all across the body courtesy the rains. It does the job very very effectively without much fuss.

The same process I had followed on another occasion and used Meg Car shampoo. Meg was good and cleaned the car but I had to use ONR to make a lubricant before claying. Not to mention the excess use of water when you shampoo.

Either ways the desired result is same just that with ONR you use less water & less effort.
Hey you use ONR as a detailing mix or the cleaning mix. Pls share the dilution ratios. Since I am also in Mumbai and face the same issues I want to know how effective ONR will me for cleaning all the mud. Also how long does it take to wipe the car clean.

I am planning to let go of the car cleaner. All he does is splash water, clean with dirty cloth and leave water marks :(
Old 12th September 2012, 20:34   #6244
Distinguished - BHPian

Good! Your paintwork will thank you, even if you don't always think it looks so good.
Old 12th September 2012, 20:47   #6245
BHPian

Funkyp i had the same problem. Car looks so shining after cleaning. Later when i checked i saw him rubbing with a dirty cloth forcefully. And he uses one bucket water for this. So i told him to do it once in a week at my presence. Now i can monitor the cleaning and make him to do a shampoo wash also.
Old 12th September 2012, 22:00   #6246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Pls share the dilution ratios.
Normal No Rinse car Wash : One Ounce per 2 Gallons of water. i.e. 30 ml every 7.56 lt of water.

Clay bar lubricant : 1:64 (ONR:Water)

Quick detailer : 1:16 (ONR:Water)

Quote:
I am planning to let go of the car cleaner. All he does is splash water, clean with dirty cloth and leave water marks :(
Good decision. Car cleaner do nothing just splash water, wipe with a dirty cloth and leave water marks and some parts of car wet.

You would also contribute to saving water. During normal winter & summer, I wash my car just once in a month. Lots of water saving. Regular cleaning with Jopasu and quick detail with ONR, made the car gleaming new.

In the rains I need to clean it once in a week. But now with rains almost ending, good days ahead again.

I'm also contemplating on asking my society Chairman to have the car washed in our society by car cleaner every alternate day to contribute to water saving. Hell lot of water is wasted for washing a car only and people don't have water to drink.
Old 12th September 2012, 22:07   #6247
BHPian

Hello Comrades!

I will be picking up a Swift Lxi for my brother this Sunday. Please tell me if I need to get some paint protection done right after purchase and about protecting paint in the long run. I know a Wurth sales executive in my city and can get their teflon coating product and a polishing machine to give to my brother for the long run. Please give me your suggestions and I'll be really thankful!
Old 13th September 2012, 00:47   #6248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane
After dusting with Jopasu, I mix 4ml ONR into 1ltr of water spray bottle and spray throughly. Then just wipe it with MF cloth. I do not use buckets of water while cleaning with ONR.
I used to do this in the initial days. What I realized after seeing the pros at work is if you use buckets (half bucket water will do) your being safe and not putting swirls onto the paint since you rinse the cloth each time your done cleaning a panel.
Old 13th September 2012, 11:29   #6249
BHPian

Quote:
I want to know how effective ONR will me for cleaning all the mud. Also how long does it take to wipe the car clean.

ONR works perfectly for me. I use a slightly higher concentrated ratio for normal cleaning. 30ml per 5L of water. It removes all the muck. Honestly I never really timed myself while detailing but I complete the whole process i.e. washing - claying - waxing - sealing in about 5 hours.

For the other days, I have trained my house help to clean my cars with water & 2 MF cloth. He does his job pretty well without scratching the paint or throwing water on the tyres.

For using it as lubricant as el lobo suggested use ratio of 1:64 and for quick detailer 1:16 (though I prefer Mother's showtime detailer over ONR)
Old 13th September 2012, 18:15   #6250
BHPian

Got my first set of detailing products delivered today

Stuff ordered:
1 ONR 8 oz: for cleaning, quick detailing
1 Collinite 845 473.2ml: wax to be used once in 2 months or as required
1 Eurow MF + 3 MF cloth from jopasu
1 DG 905 con. 28 ml : car shampoo for those days when the car is mucky after rains.
1 Blue Carrand MF Pad (buffing after wax)
1 White Carrand Terry Pad (applying wax)

Net expense: 2325

Though I haven't used it yet, the jopasu mf feels much better to touch compared to the eurow mf.

All set for my first detailing session this weekend. Quite excited to see the result
Old 14th September 2012, 08:18   #6251
BHPian

What is the best way to keep the "honeycomb" grill looking matte black. My '07 Swift has them. Although they look very good on beauty shots, are a pain to maintain. Now my car looks great after detailing, but the comb grill stands out with white/grey particles on them. The holes are to small for my big fingers to go and clean and also there must be 100s of them, and will take lot of patience to clean. The grill on the Dzire is so easy to clean, since they have only the horizontal lines.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:30   #6252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
What is the best way to keep the "honeycomb" grill looking matte black. My '07 Swift has them. Although they look very good on beauty shots, are a pain to maintain. Now my car looks great after detailing, but the comb grill stands out with white/grey particles on them. The holes are to small for my big fingers to go and clean and also there must be 100s of them, and will take lot of patience to clean.
I suggest you to get a thick painting brush. The tip should be half an inch and with this you can clean the grill and AC vents for dust.

To look grills clean and fresh, try applying dash board polish, though it may not last longer. For applying, all you need is a thin stick taped with cloth at the tip and apply dashboard vinly polish. Hope it will help and you dont have to keep your big finger in small holes of the grill.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:08   #6253
BHPian

Hi,

I'm mostly a learner(lurker) on the forums, but could not help making an exception on this topic.

I am into a bit of DIY, mostly wood. Therefore I've a lot of power tools to help me in my projects - impact drill/router/saws/planers/sander etc.

One of them is the Bosch Random Orbit Sander - GEX 125-1 A/AE. It's intended for wood sanding, but can be used for waxing/polishing.

I've successfully used it for waxing/polishing my car couple of times, using The Lake Country wax & sealing pad with Turtle Wax.

Now I'm seriously eyeing the Meguiar Cut n Shine Wool Pad for better polishing/buffing. Though I doubt I'll be willing to pay INR 1200 for. Maybe DIY that too.

# Unfortunately the GEX 125-1 A/AE does not come with variable speed option, so one needs to be really really gentle & careful while using it.
# The vibration on it is a little too much, so be sure to use a pair of anti-vibration gloves (e.g. Youngstown available from Amazon).
# GEX series is the cheapest sander that I found after spending half a day in SJP Road, NR Road, Bangalore.

Hope this helps people looking to mechanize their waxing/polishing process!
kumar_gautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 13:33   #6254
BHPian

more query. this time on windscreen upkeep. dont know if this really is the thread for that. have gone through the windscreen forum but did not find any concrete answers.

Is colin a good enough option to clean the windscreen together with a MF cloth or do i need a specialized car windscreen cleaner.

More important, what do i use as the windscreen washer fluid which is more often than not, used to clear the windscreen during rains when the screen is sprayed with muddy water. Can i add colin there too?
Old 15th September 2012, 15:28   #6255
Distinguished - BHPian

Plain water will get the mud off. The additives help to remove grease. Make sure you use plenty of waterto prevent scratching.

Windscreens were mentioned only recently in the thread, and, in more detail, further back. It's a big thread, but the search tool is there to help!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks