Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 20:36   #5491
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Sorry didn't see your response, else would have multiquoted.
1. Rubbing compound is not paint specific.
2. You need to use it carefully and sparingly and only on small areas / touch up jobs with little pressure. For larger areas, use a polish like either SwirlX, Sonax polish or Autoglym super resin. All the above have minor abrasives which should help remove the swirls and paint defects like scratches, hard water marks, etc.
3. The stains should easily be removed with a rubbing compound. However apply it slowly / carefully. The preferred route would be to use a polish mentioned above like Sonax car polish or autoglym.
4. Motomax 2k rubbing compound should be available at any car accessory shop (it's by Pidilite, so should be widely available). If not available, use any compatible rubbing compound for 2k paint
Isn't SwirlX a swirl remover? I suppose you are referring to it for treating the marks on the D pillar and boot. Is it useful for a superficial scratch?

I will look for Motomax. In Kanpur, not many people are familiar with these compounds, so while one gets local compounds very easily, others have to be sourced. I usually prefer online stores for this reason. People (including some showroom folks) laugh at you if you insist on getting genuine wax, polish, etc.
Old 7th March 2012, 21:30   #5492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I prefer not to disclose the products/techniques I use
That's cheating, whats the use of posting your work when you can't even share the details which may help others. Knowledge is all about sharing and not keeping to yourself. Its like owing a Supercar and saying, I don't own one for others may know it.

The work you have done is good and the car is the same Yellow Palio on which you did engine detailing earlier. I was waiting for your reply on which products you used to attain the result, but it seems you don't like sharing your bundle of knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
The 2 products ineffective products were Scratch out liquid rubbing compound and the "fix it pro pen" from Simoniz. Both are pretty useless.

Yes, I too would recommend Quixx. It's a German product and is very effective. It should be available on Ebay..
Scratch Out is a good product. I have used it earlier, it takes care of very slight scratch, nothing better. It's a very light rubbing compound. Tele Marketing products like "fix it pro pen" will always be a fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Isn't SwirlX a swirl remover? I suppose you are referring to it for treating the marks on the D pillar and boot. Is it useful for a superficial scratch?

I will look for Motomax. In Kanpur, not many people are familiar with these compounds, so while one gets local compounds very easily, others have to be sourced. I usually prefer online stores for this reason. People (including some showroom folks) laugh at you if you insist on getting genuine wax, polish, etc.
SwirlsX does remove swirl with hand, you just need to use proper technique. Use a foam applicator pad from Pinnacle or Meguiar and pour some of SwirlX onto it. Go about in circular motions and always do a 50% overlap. After the product has hazed, use a clean MF to just wipe it off.

If anyone plans to purchase SwirlX for swirls, I would suggest to for ScratchX 2.0, it would be even better than SwirlsX at removing scratches.
DarthVader finding products in Kanpur(My hometown) would be very difficult. When I ask shops in Navi Mumbai about car products they are all clueless, can't imagine what Kanpur be like. I would suggest to get the product shipped rather than searching in Kanpur.

This video should help understand better.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 7th March 2012 at 21:42.
Old 7th March 2012, 23:45   #5493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
SwirlsX does remove swirl with hand, you just need to use proper technique. Use a foam applicator pad from Pinnacle or Meguiar and pour some of SwirlX onto it. Go about in circular motions and always do a 50% overlap. After the product has hazed, use a clean MF to just wipe it off.

If anyone plans to purchase SwirlX for swirls, I would suggest to for ScratchX 2.0, it would be even better than SwirlsX

This video should help understand better.
Hi I have both the Meg products and can say taking swirls off by hand is almost not possible. I followed their videos and infact posted on their online forum on this, you can only hide the swirls not eliminate. To eliminate you need to cut the paint which is not possible by hand.

I was happy to see the results by hand initially but after few washes, I wash my car all by myself and exactly after 2-3 car washes swirls would be back.

You need professional touch once with the products(machine) and then the trick is to maintaine.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th March 2012 at 02:35. Reason: removed quoted video, thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 00:21   #5494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Scratch Out is a good product. I have used it earlier, it takes care of very slight scratch, nothing better. It's a very light rubbing compound. Tele Marketing products like "fix it pro pen" will always be a fraud.
Hmm, well Scratch Out hasn't worked in any case for me over the past 6 months of my owning a black car. I'll check out the other products you suggested. It's just that these things are quite expensive and it pinches if they don't work. So if it's a swirl remover, I'd want one that works, and if it's a scratch remover, I'd want one that removes a scratch.

As I am new to detailing, I won't use rubbing compound until I've read more about it and seen some videos. Don't want to do more harm than good.

SAS, here are 'Quixx' products on EBay Inida: http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=...All-Categories. There's an acrylic scratch remover, and a scratch remover which is worth Rs. 2733. I guess it is the latter you were referring to?

Last edited by darthvader : 8th March 2012 at 00:27.
Old 8th March 2012, 02:11   #5495
BHPian

My Accent door handles have some black spots on them which are not getting removed. Since the handle is of beige colour its even more visible. Out of four one got absolutely cleaned with bang spray but its not working on other three. Till now I have tried the following with no luck:

1. Petrol
2. Turpentine oil
3. Vim liquid
4. Bleach
5. Surf excel
6. Ether
Old 8th March 2012, 02:33   #5496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
My Accent door handles have some black spots on them which are not getting removed. Since the handle is of beige colour its even more visible. Out of four one got absolutely cleaned with bang spray but its not working on other three. Till now I have tried the following with no luck:

1. Petrol
2. Turpentine oil
3. Vim liquid
4. Bleach
5. Surf excel
6. Ether
Can you post a picture? Try using Colin or a car shampoo such as Formula 1 Wax and Wash.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:45   #5497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, well Scratch Out hasn't worked in any case for me over the past 6 months of my owning a black car. I'll check out the other products you suggested. It's just that these things are quite expensive and it pinches if they don't work. So if it's a swirl remover, I'd want one that works, and if it's a scratch remover, I'd want one that removes a scratch.

As I am new to detailing, I won't use rubbing compound until I've read more about it and seen some videos. Don't want to do more harm than good.

SAS, here are 'Quixx' products on EBay Inida: quixx | eBay. There's an acrylic scratch remover, and a scratch remover which is worth Rs. 2733. I guess it is the latter you were referring to?
You can buy the Quixx Scratch remover from Here which won't pinch your pocket :
Quixx Paint Scratch Remover
samsag12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 11:15   #5498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
You can buy the Quixx Scratch remover from Here which won't pinch your pocket :
Quixx Paint Scratch Remover
Oh wow! I didn't even know of this website before. Thanks!

There are way too many products from all these reputed manufacturers to confuse a novice like myself.

Right now, I already have Formula 1 Wax & Wash (shampoo), Formula 1 Scratch Out (useless), Formula 1 Shine It All (supposedly a sealant which should maintain luster), Formula 1 Carnuaba Wax (paste) and have ordered Collinite 845 Wax.

I am looking for a guide which would help in taking care of my black car before the paint becomes irreparable and fades away. I plan to invest a little more in some of these compounds, evolve some kind of an algorithm for maintaining black cars (which would, by way of empirical verification, work at least for a black Cruze ) with the help of other BHPians which I will put online, as I think its important to keep all this knowledge open source.

So far, this is what I think is a good procedure -- suggestions/criticisms/comments are welcome. I specify what I currently use in brackets.

This is pre-polish and pre-wax, and describes only how a black car should be washed imho. Never use a dry cloth to wipe a black car in the first step, as dust particles and other deposits tend to be abrasive and can result in swirls, and even mild scratches. This is something the folks at the GM dealership recently told me when I asked them how they maintain swanky black Beats.

1. Dissolve 30 mL of car shampoo (Formula 1 Wax and Wash liquid) in 2-3 L of soft water in a bucket. If possible, use filtered water. Normal water supply water tends to be hard and can cause scaling. Avoid using a high pressure hose at home to clean the car (this is a debatable issue), as this water may really not be as pure as you believe it is (think "black paint").

2. Immerse a clean chamois cloth (available from EBay India with a plastic box for anywhere from Rs. 96 to Rs. 120) in the bucket and after it is saturated with water, squeeze it first so that when you use it on the car there are no streaks of shampoo water dripping into crevices or leaving moisture stains on doors, etc.

3. Now, with a very gentle motion of the chamois, wipe the black car panel by panel. In the second round, on portions which have undergone one such gentle wipe, you can be a little more vigorous after turning the chamois over. This will take care of any residual spots or marks that the shampoo may have left.

4. Use another dry and clean chamois cloth to dry wipe the car.

Remember to leave both chamois pieces in lukewarm water for a few minutes before putting them back into their respective cases in a slightly moist condition. Never leave a chamois hanging dry -- it becomes very hard. Also, avoid cutting chamois into pieces as there are fibers inside which come off and can get flake off as you clean the car, or get stuck in crevices.

Items required for washing:

1. Dry bucket
2. 3 L of soft water (preferably lukewarm so that the shampoo dissolves quickly, but not hot)
3. Formula 1 Car Shampoo (liquid) - costs Rs. 215
4. TWO clean chamois cloth pieces - cost Rs. 96-120 each

After this one has to apply polish, wax or other compounds depending on the need and preference. This is where I'm hoping our discussion about maintaining black paint luster, and taking care of swirls, scratches etc. will converge to help complete this algorithm.

For the time being, I am thinking of the following application route post-washing

Meguiar Quik Detailer -> Meguiar Ultimate Polish -> Meguiar Quik Wax or Collinite 845

Don't know where the Formula 1 Shine It All fits in with all this. Of course, I don't have the Meguiar products yet.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by darthvader : 8th March 2012 at 11:38.
Old 8th March 2012, 13:32   #5499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the time being, I am thinking of the following application route post-washing

Meguiar Quik Detailer -> Meguiar Ultimate Polish -> Meguiar Quik Wax or Collinite 845
Any suggestions?
The steps you have put up are all wrong and the result would not be any good, but wastage of the products. Sorry for the harsh words.

The steps to proper detailing of a car are.
1. Washing and shampooing it. (e.g. Amway Car Shampoo)
2. Claying, it with a clay bar to remove to contaminants attached to it. (e.g. Mothers/Meguiars Clay bar)
3. Swirls and scratch removal using a rubbing compound. (e.g. Meguiars SwirlsX, Scratch 2.0.)
4. Sealing the paint surface with a sealant. (e.g. BlackFire WetDiamond)
5. Final step, waxing using a paste wax. (e.g. Collinite 915 or 845)

If you miss the second step, doing all the next step would be useless, since many of the contaminants remain attached to the paint surface even after shampooing.

I too own a Black Vento TDi, so I know what it takes to keep the car in mirror finish shine. I had done a small detailing on it back in Dec'11. Do have a go through it, it may be of some help to you. Link..
The result of it are posted in the very first post of the ownership thread.

Meguiar Quik Detailer is used when your car has been waxed and you plan to go out but want to give it a quick shine on to it. That's the purpose of Meguiar Quik Detailer.

Meguiar Ultimate Polish would be a very good sealant, to be used in step 4.

Meguiar Quik Wax is for when the paste wax you applied feels a bit harsh, and the surface isn't that smooth, so you use Meguiar Quik Wax to restore that smoothness.

Hope this helps and you have a very good detailing session on your Black Beauty.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 14:24   #5500
BHPian

Quote:
Can you post a picture? Try using Colin or a car shampoo such as Formula 1 Wax and Wash.
here it is, slightly clean after rigorous cleaning with bang.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_0161.jpg

Looks like mould spots to me since vehicle was standing for 2 - 3 months unused.
Old 8th March 2012, 14:38   #5501
BHPian

Quote:
The steps you have put up are all wrong and the result would not be any good, but wastage of the products. Sorry for the harsh words.
Thanks for pointing out (no hard feelings about the 'harsh words'). It seems everything after the cleaning part is wrong. I wasn't very confident about the waxing and polishing anyway since I am yet to acquire the products and haven't done anything yet (as I indicated in another post, Meguiar products aren't available locally, and they're too expensive to buy from EBay).

What you said makes sense, but what I wrote in the end was based on something that a person I spoke to at Meguiars suggested, since I did not have clay bars or swirl removers. He said these things would be best left to professional detailers as they are supposed to use these compounds with good quality buffing machines (I have a modest Coido polisher (220 V version), which has been severely criticized on TBHP).

But now that you have generously shared all the details, I have many questions..

Quote:
The steps to proper detailing of a car are.
2. Claying, it with a clay bar to remove to contaminants attached to it. (e.g. Mothers/Meguiars Clay bar)
3. Swirls and scratch removal using a rubbing compound. (e.g. Meguiars SwirlsX, Scratch 2.0.)
2. Is the clay abrasive?

3. A rubbing compound does contain abrasives, so how does one know if it is really necessary? Black paint almost always has swirl marks if you look closely. Also, do you recommend using both SwirlX and Scratch 2.0 or just one of them?

4. Would Formula 1 Shine it All suffice as a sealant or should I get the BlackFire? I ask because I already have Formula 1.

Quote:
If you miss the second step, doing all the next step would be useless, since many of the contaminants remain attached to the paint surface even after shampooing.
Good point.

Finally, the place I live in is very dusty. While I keep the car covered when its not in use, it is practically impossible to keep it covered all the time. Besides, even small outings result in the car getting very dirty. The chemicals you have prescribed are all very expensive, and I am just wondering...what should the frequency of application be? (I will most likely have to clean with a moist chamois every time the cover has to be put back on.) What are the maintenance steps here?

Every time the car is washed, do all these products have to be used? Can abrasives be avoided? (PS -- I opted for 'paint protection polish' from GM when the car was purchased.)

Just to confirm, the products you have suggested are

1. SwirlX: MeguiarsDirect.com: SwirlX (Ebay India: Meguiar's G17616 SwirlX-BWB | eBay)

2. ScratchX 2.0: ScratchX 2.0 - Meguiars India (Ebay India: Meguiar's G10307 Scratch X 2.0 | eBay and Meguiar's G10307 Scratch X 2.0-SKB | eBay)

3. Mother's Clay Bar: MOTHERS CALIFORNIA GOLD CLAY BAR SYSTEM (EBay India: Mothers California Gold® Clay Bar System | eBay)

4. Meguiar's Clay Bar: MeguiarsDirect.com: Smooth Surface® Clay Kit (EBay India: meguiar clay | eBay -- which one?)

5. BlackFire WetDiamond sealant: Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - 16 oz | Detailed Image (Couldn't find it anywhere on EBay or Rediff.)

Finally, here is what a Meguiar sales person told me:

Quote:
regular wash and wax will eliminate most
of the issues. I recommend quik detailer to be kept in handy to remove
stubborn contaminants .. say bird droppings or tar.. otherwise....
wash + quik detail (on spots)+ wax.. Done
Quote:
use quik detailer.. then use ultimate polish n then apply wax.. once in 2
months is a good enough frequency ..
but i recommend you also take a good car shampoo for washing..

coz post waxing if you use strong detergent based car shampoo.. all you
effort and money will be stripped off.
Quote:
shampoo->dry->quick detailer->wax
Old 8th March 2012, 16:49   #5502
Senior - BHPian

I'm impressed you did such a good research in no time.

Quote:
Meguiar products aren't available locally, and they're too expensive to buy from EBay.
Had a go through the Meguiars products on Ebay. Woah, they are way too expensive. First and foremost don't but any product which is shipped from USA reason being high import duty & taxes. I had purchased Megs SwirlsX for Rs. 1160 way back in Oct'11 from BBImpex New Delhi.

Quote:
But now that you have generously shared all the details, I have many questions..
That's what happens when you open up a Pandora's Box.

Quote:
2. Is the clay abrasive?
No. I would suggest you to purchase the clay bar kit listed on Carplosh.in, very much worth the price. Auto-Mall listed on Ebay and Carpolish.in are same people. Carpolish is slight cheaper. Clay bar can be used by anyone and you don't need to be a professional. I use it and I ain't any professional.

Quote:
3. A rubbing compound does contain abrasives, so how does one know if it is really necessary? Black paint almost always has swirl marks if you look closely. Also, do you recommend using both SwirlX and Scratch 2.0 or just one of them?
Rubbing compound main use is to get rid of scratches and swirls which is does by cutting the paint and making it smooth. I would suggest ScratchX 2.0 if you haven't still purchased SwirlX.
When ScratchX 2.0 is available for Rs 799 why purchase it for higher cost from those ebay sellers. You would be able to find ScratchX 2.0 at any 3M Car Care detailing shops. Else if you don't get one, you could go with SwirlX which can be bought from BBImpex New Delhi.

Quote:
4. Would Formula 1 Shine it All suffice as a sealant or should I get the BlackFire? I ask because I already have Formula 1.
Try using Formula1 but Formula1 products come at the bottom of the list in preference. If you could get Meguiars Ultimate Polish, nothing better. Else you could get BlackFire WetDiamond from BBImpex. Most of the products I have, have been purchased from them only. Go through their website BBImpex, you would understand better.

Quote:
Finally, the place I live in is very dusty. While I keep the car covered when its not in use, it is practically impossible to keep it covered all the time.
You could use Jopasu Car Duster for cleaning the dust and it is very effective. Ebay.

Now for on how to maintain your car and how to go about waxing.

As I said earlier the steps to proper detailing of a car are.

You can do the following in about once in 3 months or even once in 2 months. When you are done with it, to maintain the car, you can wash it with Meguiars own Car wash or Amway Car Shampoo once in 1 week. You can quick detail it with Optimum No Rinse by making a ratio of 1:16(ONR:Water), to get the shine. Go through the above link and you will understand it better. ONR is one of the best products I have known. Wash you car and quick detail it with ONR, the results would be far superior and surface will become smooth.

You could use Megs Quick Detailer for the shine after you wash your car for the shine just like ONR, but ONR is a multiple products in one and Megs Quick wax when the surface has lost some smoothness since you waxed it few week back.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 8th March 2012 at 16:51.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 21:20   #5503
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 899342

Looks like mould spots to me since vehicle was standing for 2 - 3 months unused.
OHH Good you posted a picture. I thought the spots were on the door handle outside
These are mold spots due to unuse. Did you try a mild soap solution? They are superficial so should go easily. You can use an old toothbrush to scrub it if they are stubborn.
Old 8th March 2012, 21:28   #5504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 899342

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
OHH Good you posted a picture. I thought the spots were on the door handle outside
These are mold spots due to unuse. Did you try a mild soap solution? They are superficial so should go easily. You can use an old toothbrush to scrub it if they are stubborn.
It seems some sort of Fungus. Hashim why don't you get the handle replaced and save time and energy exerted in removing those spots. I think Accent door handle is freely available or is it the other way around.

Last edited by samsag12 : 8th March 2012 at 21:32.
Old 8th March 2012, 21:29   #5505
BHPian

Can anyone help me on how to get a mirror-finish on the transmission case of my Bullet? I tried Turtle Wax Chrome Polish but makes only 2% difference. I had got it professionally done 2 years back & it shined like Chrome! But off-late it has again dulled.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03475.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03476.jpg  

Most Viewed