Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 21:28   #5521
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
From you pics (the first couple) it seems to be scratches. Dont try the Scratch Out vigorously, you can do more damage than good. Use a small brush and touchup with some paint (nailpolish willl also do).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I would suggest not to touch-up if he is getting it re-painted for free by the dealer. No matter how much finishing you give but a "touch-up" will "show-up"
How about Com-Paint? Does that show up too? I ordered some Caviar Black Com Paint a few days ago, but I haven't had a chance to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
@ darthvader, From the pics, I guess these spots/ spray dots are due to the spillage of some acid (probably the 1, used as Battery water).. Somebody might have spilled it over & then have tried to remove it in a 'hurry' by rubbing it, making all the mess more visible & complicated.. Even if you investigate properly, may come to know the facts.. That's what I think..
Now, I would suggest you to leave the 'repair' job up to the dealer just asking him to get everything done as good as he can.. and of course, for FoC.. All the Best!!
My worry is that every time I give the car for a paint repair or body repair, I end up discovering a new set of scratches in the neighbourhood, i.e. collateral damage. The workshop has poor illumination, and everything becomes clear only after the car is taken out in the sun (which invariably happens only during delivery ). I can't really blame the workshop guys as a Meguiar-like paint perfection is not heard of in a city like this (and asking for it makes people laugh at you). I see more swirl marks on my car after it comes out of a workshop wash than I see when I clean it myself.

For the hard-water like white marks, I guess I will get the panel repainted by the workshop, but given that one of the white marks I discovered today can be felt slightly with a finger, I am filled with hope that one of the following products will help clean it up: ScratchX 2.0, Clay Bar, Formula 1 Scratch Out.

After your suggestions, I have taken off the car cover and am now searching for a bigger, better one with a non-abrasive inner surface. A cover will be necessary during the upcoming summer and monsoon. Any suggestions?
Old 12th March 2012, 23:07   #5522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
After your suggestions, I have taken off the car cover and am now searching for a bigger, better one with a non-abrasive inner surface. A cover will be necessary during the upcoming summer and monsoon. Any suggestions?
Vivek, try asking your GM dealer if he has DuPont Tyvek cover for Cruze. That's the best known one and cost almost the double of any normal silver cover and is water proof and heat resistant too.
Old 12th March 2012, 23:39   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Vivek, try asking your GM dealer if he has DuPont Tyvek cover for Cruze. That's the best known one and cost almost the double of any normal silver cover and is water proof and heat resistant too.
Thanks Rohaan, I was thinking about the DuPont cover myself...but I hope it is not a skin-fit (because the SilverTech Car cover - Coverite Silvertech Car Cover is). Does it cost about 4 grand as listed on EBay (cruze car cover | eBay)

Last edited by darthvader : 13th March 2012 at 00:00.
Old 12th March 2012, 23:45   #5524
Distinguished - BHPian

I have the Tyvek cover for my Polo. As it is a VW supplied part (complete with VW logo over the windscreen) it is tailored to the car. No, it is not skin tight. It cost about 3,000 from the dealership.
Old 13th March 2012, 11:02   #5525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rohaan, I was thinking about the DuPont cover myself...but I hope it is not a skin-fit (because the SilverTech Car cover - Coverite Silvertech Car Cover is). Does it cost about 4 grand as listed on EBay (cruze car cover | eBay)
Vivek, the Silvertech car cover may be skin tight but it is not tailor made to your car. If you could anyway get a demo of it onto your Cruze, then it makes perfect sense as you would have seen how it fits up, but it may be hardly possible.
I had purchased a DuPont Tyvek cover for my VW Vento from VW dealer which costs Rs. 3500 and it fits almost like skin tight as it is tailor made for Vento.
Here is the link, do go through, it may help you in your decision.
The DuPont Tyvek cover from GM for Cruze would perfectly fit over as it is tailor made and would be better than any silver cover. No idea about Silvertech covers, but I don't think it would be skin tight as it is also a cover at the end of the day.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 13th March 2012 at 11:04.
Old 13th March 2012, 14:41   #5526
BHPian

Quote:
How about Com-Paint? Does that show up too? I ordered some Caviar Black Com Paint a few days ago, but I haven't had a chance to try it out.
I am not sure about com-paint but I don't think it will blend-in with the current paint. As the damage is on the C-pillar (if I am not mistaken) then you will have to see that the paint blends-in with the rest. Is your Cruze the same 'Caviar Black' as your com-paint? For that also i would suggest to try the shade on a sample & check in daylight before making the final spray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have the Tyvek cover for my Polo. As it is a VW supplied part (complete with VW logo over the windscreen) it is tailored to the car. No, it is not skin tight. It cost about 3,000 from the dealership.
What is the cover make, I mean does it mention "Tyvek by DuPont"? Is it manufactured in India as most of the parts VW offers are imported!
Old 13th March 2012, 15:31   #5527
Distinguished - BHPian

I found there is a whole thread about Tyvek covers! You can see mine here.

As mentioned in that post, from comparing the packing with another post, although VW branded, it appears to be a Polco cover.
Old 13th March 2012, 17:44   #5528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I found there is a whole thread about Tyvek covers! You can see mine here.

As mentioned in that post, from comparing the packing with another post, although VW branded, it appears to be a Polco cover.
Yes I saw your link. I had a similar cover (Tyvek by Polco) for my Bullet. I feel they are overpriced (Rs. 900/-) & poor quality as it was torn in 3 years. Got another sturdy one for half the price (non-tyvek but silver in colour) from RE dealer itself & its going good since more than 1 year.
Old 15th March 2012, 21:48   #5529
BHPian

I have a 5 year old Swift, Ozone Blue color. Recently the bug of DIY detailing bit me after seeing this thread and i decided to get few things from someone traveling to US.

I am getting Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant and Few applicators and MF towels. I also plan to get Collinite 845 from Ebay.

I have a question. Since i would be spending a lot of time in doing the detailing, was wondering if Claying would be required or not.

Currently i will follow:
1. Wash car with Mothers Car Wash
2. Use Klasse AIO
3. Use Klasse Sealant
4. Use Collinite 845

and then continue to top up collinite every 3-4 months depending on how water is beading in Bangalore rains.

Please advice, should i do claying as a step between 1 and 2 mentioned above?
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 22:28   #5530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Please advice, should i do claying as a step between 1 and 2 mentioned above?
Yes, claying is an important step and shouldn't be skipped. There are contaminants which get bonded to paint surface and cannot be removed by just shampooing, so it is advised to clay the surface to make it smooth and contaminants free.
Try Mothers clay bar kit. AutoMall Ebay. or Carpolish.in. Both of them are same people but carpolish.in is tad cheaper.

You could even add another step after claying and before step 2 which is scrtach & swirls removal. If your car has scratches and swirls its a good idea to remove them. You can use Meguiars ScratchX 2.0.

Enjoy detailing your Swift and do post before and after pictures.
Old 15th March 2012, 22:38   #5531
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, claying is an important step and shouldn't be skipped. There are contaminants which get bonded to paint surface and cannot be removed by just shampooing, so it is advised to clay the surface to make it smooth and contaminants free.
Try Mothers clay bar kit. AutoMall Ebay. or Carpolish.in. Both of them are same people but carpolish.in is tad cheaper.

You could even add another step after claying and before step 2 which is scrtach & swirls removal. If your car has scratches and swirls its a good idea to remove them. You can use Meguiars ScratchX 2.0.

Enjoy detailing your Swift and do post before and after pictures.
Thank you.

But i was under the impression that Klasse AIO would remove some (not all) scratches as well. Newbie me :-)

And in case i want to do this over 2 days (Sat + Sun) what would be a logical break?

Day 1:
1. Shampoo
2. Clay
3. ScratchX

Day 2:
1. Klasse AIO
2. Klasse Selant
3. Collinite
Old 15th March 2012, 23:22   #5532
Senior - BHPian

You are welcome.

Quote:
But i was under the impression that Klasse AIO would remove some (not all) scratches as well.
Klasse AIO will take care of some scratches and swirls whereas ScrtachX will help you to take care of any heavy duty scratch or swirls removal which wont be possible by Klasse AIO.

Quote:
And in case i want to do this over 2 days (Sat + Sun) what would be a logical break?

Day 1:
1. Shampoo
2. Clay
3. ScratchX

Day 2:
1. Klasse AIO
2. Klasse Sealant
3. Collinite
The above breakup looks fine. Just before you start the work on day 2 see to that the surface is absolutely clean and there is no speck of dust on surface. By the way which color is your Swift?
Old 16th March 2012, 07:31   #5533
BHPian

Quote:
The above breakup looks fine. Just before you start the work on day 2 see to that the surface is absolutely clean and there is no speck of dust on surface. By the way which color is your Swift?
Ozone Blue. It is one of those rare colors.

Ordered Megs ScratchX and Mothers Calif Clay Bar :-)

So second day, i will use my Jopasu duster to carefully remove all visible dust. I also cleaned my Jopasu with Genteel this week, so it should do a good job.

Wife would not be happy seeing all these beauty products for her "sauten".
Old 16th March 2012, 07:37   #5534
BHPian

Quote:
The DuPont Tyvek cover from GM for Cruze would perfectly fit over as it is tailor made and would be better than any silver cover. No idea about Silvertech covers, but I don't think it would be skin tight as it is also a cover at the end of the day.
I contacted DuPoint, and received an email from Polco, advising me to book the cover through this website: Polco India - Car Cover Manufacturers in India, Bike Covers, Car Covers India. As I have some concerns and questions, I'll talk to them later today before booking.

Also, curiously enough, Cruze is not listed in the C+ or D segment cars on their website. In fact, it isn't listed anywhere in their segment guide (http://www.polcoindia.com/pdf/Segment%20Guide.pdf). I suppose it would be safest (albeit more expensive) to go with a D segment cover, so it'll be larger, though the closest would probably be a Civic.

By the way, what are the correct procedures to wash the following:

(a) Chamois (I keep it immersed in lukewarm water for some time before putting it back in the box in a slightly moist condition; but this doesn't get rid of the stains)

(b) Eurow Microfibre Towel (just used it once this morning, its not very dirty yet)

Incidentally, the Eurow Towel is awesome..I strongly recommend it.

While I anxiously wait for all the detailing/scratch/swirl removing products to arrive, I am keeping the car uncovered and since it is a major dust attractor, I use a wet chamois to clean the car, and then use the Eurow towel to dry wipe it soon afterwards.
Old 16th March 2012, 11:43   #5535
Senior - BHPian

Is it ok to polish the windscreen with, say a Sonax polish?

Most Viewed