Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 22:35   #5626
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Could someone please tell me what these yellow spots are. I find them everyday on my car. I first thought they were paint spots. But I find them on my car pretty much everywhere. So I assume they are some form of bird dropping?
They dont just wipe off, they need to be 'semi-peeled off' with some force.

Apologies in advance for the 'not so clear'pic. I couldn't find an area which had several of these spots close together. Will try to get a better picture again.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20120327_163559.jpg

Last edited by superutp : 27th March 2012 at 22:39.
Old 27th March 2012, 22:52   #5627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Could someone please tell me what these yellow spots are. I find them everyday on my car. I first thought they were paint spots. But I find them on my car pretty much everywhere. So I assume they are some form of bird dropping?
Those yellow marks are honey bee poop. Use a wet cloth to wipe it off and if you have quick detailer, even better.
More details on those yellow marks. Link.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 18:07   #5628
BHPian

Quote:
I find these on my car too. I think it is one kind of tree sap.
Old 28th March 2012, 19:40   #5629
BHPian

Quote:
They dont just wipe off, they need to be 'semi-peeled off' with some force.

Apologies in advance for the 'not so clear'pic. I couldn't find an area which had several of these spots close together. Will try to get a better picture again.
Attachment 908207
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Those yellow marks are honey bee poop. Use a wet cloth to wipe it off and if you have quick detailer, even better.
More details on those yellow marks. Link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I find these on my car too. I think it is one kind of tree sap.
This is tree sap, and not honey bee poop. I speak from "experience" of dealing with them on almost a daily basis . Whenever my car is parked on my university campus near a tree for more than an hour or so, one finds a lot of these deposits.

I usually clean them by carefully picking them out with a moist chamois, and wiping off with a clean microfiber cloth. I don't have any chemical to get rid of them, but I saw a video on Youtube where a chemical called bird drop/stain remover is applied on these stains, allowed to stay for a minute (so they become 'loose') and then wiped off with a microfiber cloth. If you can find something this (I assume el lobo is referring to a Quick Detailer for this purpose), do let us know.

The only problem with these stains (apart from the fact that they could have detrimental effects on the paint in the long run if you let them be, as is the case with anything) is that when you clean them, they sometimes get deposited on other parts of the car through the cloth.

Bird droppings on the other hand can cause scratches, especially if dry wiped after they have dried up.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:42   #5630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
This is tree sap, and not honey bee poop. I speak from "experience" of dealing with them on almost a daily basis . Whenever my car is parked on my university campus near a tree for more than an hour or so, one finds a lot of these deposits.
I too park my car in my college campus where there are no trees and I still find those marks on my cars. I still say those are honey bee poop at least at my college campus.

On a side note received my Jopasu Car Duster & Mini Duster for interiors which I had ordered from E-Bay through Jopasu Car Care. Would be using it once I have waxed my car in 1st week of April.
Old 29th March 2012, 20:43   #5631
BHPian

Eagle One car care products

My SONAX car wash shampoo was finally over after a good long year, and I was eager to look out for something different this time. Not because SONAX did not meet expectations, but the desire for change.

Made a trip to Reliance Autozone at HSR, and thankfully they were out of SONAX products too. So, now I had TWO motivating factors.

Some other products I saw were:
1. Forumla 1 - the easily available car care product (somehow I feel their products are gimmicks. And that's just my opinion)
2. ArmorAll - Their waxes and tire shines and protectant gels have been more than satisfactory to me. In fact, satisfactory is an under-statement. Slighly on the expensive side in comparison to F1, but I feel it's worth it.
3. And this time, I saw a BULK of products from another company called "EAGLE ONE". I had never heard of them before. But, their product descriptions sure did make them look like they knew what they were doing. I picked up their EASI-DRI car wash (Eagle One Easi-Dri Car Wash). Planning to give this a try over the coming weekend. Paid about 550rs for a 1.9litre bottle.

In the interim, if any of you have tried their products, please share your experience.
Old 30th March 2012, 10:36   #5632
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Eagle One car care products

I have used only one Eagle1 product- Wax as you dry. Its a spray wax basically. Must say its a utter waste of 500 bucks for it. Never felt any difference before and after applying the wax. The water beading used to last only a few days

Their tire spray is very good. The gloss was there was around 2 weeks before it started to pale off
Old 30th March 2012, 10:50   #5633
Senior - BHPian

Any experience with Suzanna Care Technologies, Perumbavoor, Kochi

Has anyone used the car care products and services of Suzanna Care (Suzanna Automobile and marine Technologies Pvt. Ltd) based out of Perumbavoor, Kochi? I got to know about them after water stain marks from the windshield of my brother's car was removed using their product, after everything else failed. If anyone has used their services, it would be beneficial to share your experiences and feedback on their products.
Old 30th March 2012, 12:25   #5634
Senior - BHPian

Re: Eagle One car care products

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have used only one Eagle1 product- Wax as you dry. Its a spray wax basically. Must say its a utter waste of 500 bucks for it. Never felt any difference before and after applying the wax. The water beading used to last only a few days

Their tire spray is very good. The gloss was there was around 2 weeks before it started to pale off

+1 to that, even i used their tire shiner once and it lasted for a week or so but after the wax wears off the tires look really dry, not sure how good are these on the rubber over long term.
Old 1st April 2012, 09:24   #5635
BHPian

Did a quick session of detailing on my one month old Swfit yesterday. A detailed car wash followed by a wax session. I must admit that waxing is really tiring! Took me more than 3 hours for the entire process and left me with a tight deltoids in my right arm. Guess I need to wax more often rather than hitting the gym

I used Formula one carnuba wax, formula one tyre shiner and meguiar's car wash.

How does the end result look?
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1090061.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1090074.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1090084.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1090088.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1090090.jpg  

jingaboysr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 22:54   #5636
Senior - BHPian

Problem : Paste wax deposits on the black plastic trim on side door protector of my Vento.

Solution : WD40, Tooth Brush, Wet Microfiber towel.

There had been some paste wax read Collinite 915, deposits on the black plastic trim on side door protector. As I didn't mask it, so ultimately paid the price with those white marks all over the black trim.
Washing with car shampoo didn't do any difference. So did some Googling and the idea suggested was use of WD40 to remove it.

So today evening, during the weekend wash gave it a dry. Washed and dried the car. Took a old toothbrush with soft bristles and sprayed some WD40 solution directly onto the toothbrush, as spraying directly onto the trim would result some being sprayed onto the paint. Used the brush against the plastic trim and brushed it. Wiped it with wet microfiber towel instantly.
End result, no more white paste wax marks and the the surface appeared to get a slight matte look to it. Impressed with the result.

So whenever you get paste wax residue which haven't been wiped off when it was wet, use WD40 with a toothbrush and should help you get rid of those paste wax deposits.

Sorry no pics as it was dark and images wouldn't have done any justice to the work done from my mobile camera.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 23:46   #5637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Problem : Paste wax deposits on the black plastic trim on side door protector of my Vento.

Solution : WD40, Tooth Brush, Wet Microfiber towel.
By WD40, do you mean this: WD-40 MULTIFUNCTION LUBRICANT SPRAY CAN - 400 ml | eBay

I don't remember if the Vento has this, but the Cruze has plastic trims between the window rails and all 4 pillars.

One such plastic panel on one side of the car on the passenger's side, has become discolored (it has white deposits of some putty-like chemical which the workshop generously uses every time the car goes to them). But the workshop folks said that plastic becomes discolored after the first time the car is washed. White streaks on the black plastic do not look good. I am wondering if WD40 will have any effect because isopropyl alcohol and petrol have had no effect.

I will try and post the results here.
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:11   #5638
BHPian

Quote:

I usually clean them by carefully picking them out with a moist chamois, and wiping off with a clean microfiber cloth. I don't have any chemical to get rid of them, but I saw a video on Youtube where a chemical called bird drop/stain remover is applied on these stains, allowed to stay for a minute (so they become 'loose') and then wiped off with a microfiber cloth. If you can find something this (I assume el lobo is referring to a Quick Detailer for this purpose), do let us know.

The only problem with these stains (apart from the fact that they could have detrimental effects on the paint in the long run if you let them be, as is the case with anything) is that when you clean them, they sometimes get deposited on other parts of the car through the cloth.

Bird droppings on the other hand can cause scratches, especially if dry wiped after they have dried up.
I think I have the same problem too - dried up yellow spots about 2-3mm in diameter on my metallic beige car. The problem is - they don't seem to go away after I wipe them - they have left a light yellow stain into the paint which sort of looks like turmeric stains on paint after a puja session. I will post pics of the wiped "stains" in my next post.

I also noticed one thing - after washing the car, I had left the water to drip off before I could wipe the excess with a cloth. In that time frame, I noticed a fresh yellow spot on the water film over the paint. Thinking its the annoying yellow dot again, I wiped it off with my wet finger and surprise surprise - I ended up smudging it all over the paint. Turns out that its more of a thickish "oil" like waxy substance than something that's soluble in water. I realized this immediately and took some soap water and cleaned up the entire area on which this stain had spread. After some conscious and gentle scrubbing, it went away completely.

Does any body else have a clue what this could be? I doubt that it's bee droppings .. may be something to do with birds / trees ? And the big question now - how do I clean up the yellow stains that seem to have gotten "fused" in to the paint job?
Old 2nd April 2012, 00:23   #5639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Does any body else have a clue what this could be? I doubt that it's bee droppings .. may be something to do with birds / trees ? And the big question now - how do I clean up the yellow stains that seem to have gotten "fused" in to the paint job?
There seems to be some disagreement as to what these stains are (bee droppings, or tree/plant sap -- latter is what I feel). But irrespective of what they are, you know how they behave, so I would suggest you follow the procedure I outlined for routine cleaning.

As for the hard spots, try a quick detailer. If that doesn't work, try Scratch X 2.0. There are lots of "household remedies" but I personally do not prefer them. What you use to wipe is a key...you should use a combination of chamois (so you can press slightly harder) and a microfiber towel (to dry wipe as you go along) imho.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:51   #5640
BHPian

Quote:
There seems to be some disagreement as to what these stains are (bee droppings, or tree/plant sap -- latter is what I feel). But irrespective of what they are, you know how they behave, so I would suggest you follow the procedure I outlined for routine cleaning.

As for the hard spots, try a quick detailer. If that doesn't work, try Scratch X 2.0. There are lots of "household remedies" but I personally do not prefer them. What you use to wipe is a key...you should use a combination of chamois (so you can press slightly harder) and a microfiber towel (to dry wipe as you go along) imho.
Could you recommend some genuine brand / method to identify a true chamois cloth? All I see is packed plastic tubes with wet cloth in them.. no idea whether they are genuine or fake. Any good recommended brands / shops where i can get genuine stuff ? Same goes for micro fiber towels. All I have come across are like 9"x9" which is pretty small. Anything bigger & practical enough for a car wash scenario?

Btw, here's the picture of the yellow stain - Coincidentally, there was a new stain right next to the older stain that;s been wiped / cleaned up. Notice that the fresh stain is dark yellow, almost mustard in colour while the cleaned up stain is pale. I have no idea how to get rid of those pale yellow "cleaned" up stains. I'm afraid I'll rub too much and remove the glossy coat / paint work and end up getting ugly rough patches on the body.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these?
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks