Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2012, 13:43   #5701
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
you could try mother's metal polish - it is liquidy and makes you batches shine. Cheaper options are using Brasso which will makes them shine.
Which of these are you referring to: mothers metal polish | eBay

By the way, I use Collinite 845 on my car, but I don't see the kind of wet, shiny luster that some people attribute to it, certainly nothing like the XUV 500 displayed a few posts ago. Does one have to use a polish/spray after Collinite 845 to get that kind of look? Just curious...
Old 14th April 2012, 16:44   #5702
BHPian

Collinite is just a good sealant even though the package says it is a wax. On applying this, you need to follow this up by waxing and polishing to get the shine you are looking for.
Old 14th April 2012, 17:20   #5703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Even I'm looking for a replacement/alternative for ONR as I too have just 2 oz left from my 8 oz ONR bottle. If you do find an alternative or a place to source ONR let us know too.
I called Auto Mall. They confirmed that stock for ONR would come 1st or 2nd week of May. Will call them 1st week and confirm back here.

But May end rains will start in south. I am thinking what would be the quick way to detail our cars during rains. Currently a shampoo wash a week and 1-2 quick details (using ONR 1:16) in between, does the trick, but what in rains?

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 14th April 2012 at 17:23.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 18:18   #5704
BHPian

Quote:
Collinite is just a good sealant even though the package says it is a wax. On applying this, you need to follow this up by waxing and polishing to get the shine you are looking for.
Hmm. All this while I thought Collinite 845 would be the last thing I would need to apply. This is the procedure I follow (courtest el lobo):

1. Wash the car with car shampoo (currently, Formula 1 Wax and Wash, but I have ordered Amway), dry with microfiber/chamois.
2. Wax with Mothers California Gold Clay Bar system.
3. Apply FinishKare 415 cleaner and sealant.
4. Apply Collinite 845 'wax'.

After Collinite what should I do, according to you? Which products to use? I should mention here that my car is a black Cruze (purchased in August 2011).

Last edited by darthvader : 14th April 2012 at 18:19.
Old 14th April 2012, 19:17   #5705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Collinite 915, 845 & 476 are all carnuaba based waxes. They are not sealant. Products like BlackFire Wet Diamond, FinishKare 415 & Opti-Seal are sealant. Any reason to attribute 845 as sealant?

@Hyper-Vtec.
Even I too follow the same method, wash once a week and quick detail at least once or at most twice a week. During the rains car would surely get way too dirty and mud/dirt will deposit around the doors. Might need to wash the car twice a week with shampoo depending on how dirty it gets.
As this would be first rain I would be washing my car myself as earlier car washer used to do it for me. Lets see how it turns out.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 14th April 2012 at 19:22. Reason: Quoted Hyper-Vtec
Old 14th April 2012, 19:32   #5706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Hmm. All this while I thought Collinite 845 would be the last thing I would need to apply. This is the procedure I follow (courtest el lobo):

1. Wash the car with car shampoo (currently, Formula 1 Wax and Wash, but I have ordered Amway), dry with microfiber/chamois.
2. Wax with Mothers California Gold Clay Bar system.
3. Apply FinishKare 415 cleaner and sealant.
4. Apply Collinite 845 'wax'.

After Collinite what should I do, according to you? Which products to use? I should mention here that my car is a black Cruze (purchased in August 2011).
Hey vader the method which you had followed is perfect. I suggest you clay the surface before applying Finishkare 415.

The order similar to the one which you had posted.

1. Wash using any car shampoo.
2. Dry using a good microfiber towel
3. clay the surface to remove surface impurities. Actual claying can be done either with water or quick detailer (mist & wipe). Make sure you have sufficient lub on the clay, else your clay with scratch the surface.
4. Wax the surface with generous amount of whatever wax you have (natural or synthetic).
5. Apply finishkare sealant.
6. Finally apply Collinite using a microfiber cloth.

once this has been done, further cleaning will generally be dusting using Jopasu duster and waxing.

Claying is extremely important since it will remove all surface impurities, if it isnt done correctly then the surface wouldnt be even. Generally the above steps will make sure your shine lasts long but of course you need proper care, dusting and regular waxing (non-collinite wax) once in 2 weeks. This will keep your car shining for a long time (say 6 months). After which, you need to repeat the same procedure.
Old 14th April 2012, 20:41   #5707
BHPian

Quote:
Hey vader the method which you had followed is perfect. I suggest you clay the surface before applying Finishkare 415.
Sorry, I mentioned 'wax' instead of 'clay' in step 2. To be sure, I meant claying.

What is to be done after applying (and buffing) Collinite 845? You mentioned some other wax or polish for getting a shinier look than what 845 usually imparts...what about that?
Old 14th April 2012, 20:55   #5708
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I mentioned 'wax' instead of 'clay' in step 2. To be sure, I meant claying.

What is to be done after applying (and buffing) Collinite 845? You mentioned some other wax or polish for getting a shinier look than what 845 usually imparts...what about that?
Vader, you can allow 12 hours between Collinite coats. After which you apply your normal wax on the cured collinite coat. do post pictures of you car's surface. Also let me know how the surface feels when you run your fingers on the waxed surface?
Old 14th April 2012, 21:05   #5709
BHPian

Quote:
Vader, you can allow 12 hours between Collinite coats. After which you apply your normal wax on the cured collinite coat. do post pictures of you car's surface. Also let me know how the surface feels when you run your fingers on the waxed surface?
The surface feels smooth after Collinite is buffed away. But what is this 'normal wax'? Any suggestions for polish and wax (post Collinite), esp. for the shine/glaze?
Old 17th April 2012, 21:13   #5710
Distinguished - BHPian

Washing Microfibre cloths

Only one thing to worry about: never use fabric conditioner. On the pack, or the label, or somewhere, it will be stated that this renders them ineffective. Apart from that: wash as anything else. This is a fairly tough fabric, not a silk sari!
Old 18th April 2012, 19:26   #5711
Senior - BHPian

I use a little bit of pril/vim liquid in warm water to wash mine and it works great
Old 19th April 2012, 09:21   #5712
BHPian

I just came across a website which sells Meguiars stuff online in India. Here is the link: Meguiars.

Does anyone have any experience of buying from them?

There is an interesting product from Meguiars called All Purpose Cleaner, which is available from this website for Rs. 290 (Rs. 220 + Rs. 70 shipping). Has anyone used it?

Btw, I recently tried applying some Formula 1 Carnauba paste wax after Collinite 845 and the shine is much more than what Collinite produces. Normally I would apply Collinite after buffing out Finishkare 215 cleaner and sealant (which is applied after claying). If I want to use Formula 1 or Meguiar paste wax or Meguiar Ultimate Polish, should it be before or after Collinite? My understanding is that polishing should precede waxing, and that the overall procedure should be:

1. Wash and dry
2. Clay to remove surface deposits.
3. Use Swirl X, Scratch X or Ultimate Compound if necessary to remove any surface scratches, swirls, etc. (I only have Scratch X which I rarely use.)
4. Apply polish
5. Apply Finishkare sealant.
6. Apply Collinite 845.
7. Apply paste wax.

Is the order correct?

Step 7 is more of a cosmetic step though it seems that paste wax does improve the shine, luster and also the water sheeting property significantly.

Last edited by darthvader : 19th April 2012 at 09:28.
Old 19th April 2012, 09:46   #5713
BHPian

Quote:
I just came across a website which sells Meguiars stuff online in India. Here is the link: Meguiars.

There is an interesting product from Meguiars called All Purpose Cleaner, which is available from this website for Rs. 290 (Rs. 220 + Rs. 70 shipping). Has anyone used it?

Btw, I recently tried applying some Formula 1 Carnauba paste wax after Collinite 845 and the shine is much more than what Collinite produces. Normally I would apply Collinite after buffing out Finishkare 215 cleaner and sealant (which is applied after claying). If I want to use Formula 1 or Meguiar paste wax or Meguiar Ultimate Polish, should it be before or after Collinite? My understanding is that polishing should precede waxing, and that the overall procedure should be:

1. Wash and dry
2. Clay to remove surface deposits.
3. Use Swirl X, Scratch X or Ultimate Compound if necessary to remove any surface scratches, swirls, etc. (I only have Scratch X which I rarely use.)
4. Apply polish
5. Apply Finishkare sealant.
6. Apply Collinite 845.
7. Apply paste wax.

Is the order correct?

Step 7 is more of a cosmetic step though it seems that paste wax does improve the shine, luster and also the water sheeting property significantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX

The surface feels smooth after Collinite is buffed away. But what is this 'normal wax'? Any suggestions for polish and wax (post Collinite), esp. for the shine/glaze?
-------------------
Vader - I did tell you that, using normal wax after collinite will help. Paste wax (Carnauba or synthetic like meguires Nxt) will improve the shine. Many people say collinite is a carnauba durable wax, but it acts more like a sealant rather than a wax.

Collinite is highly durable wax cum sealant. Top it off with formula 1 or meguires Nxt synthetic wax. It will surely enhance the gloss and shine of the car, especially dark colored.
Old 19th April 2012, 10:06   #5714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader

Some products are remarkably cheap while others are exorbitantly costly!!!

Dunno how reliable the site is. Probably those who have used their services can comment.

The all purpose cleaner is really good for carpets and seats. Worth it.
Old 19th April 2012, 22:59   #5715
Senior - BHPian

Avoid Vicky.in for now. While I dont have first hand experience with them there is a thread on tbhp about how awful it is

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks