Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 14:58   #4951
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Just curious. What stops you from buying a good car cover? It's far better than chasing products which is required to correct the chemical damages [bird poop, tree sap, etc].. Think about it..
I already have a car cover - but I avoided putting it on due to the rains. The car used to get wet even with the covers on and never get dried again.
Now that the rains have stopped, I think it is time to get the covers back.

However, washing the covers is also quite a challenge since it will also be covered with sap, bird poo, etc. Plus there are other posts which discourage use of covers since they can potentially scratch your car while removing the covers.
I guess, there is always a plus and minus side to everything.
Old 28th September 2011, 16:19   #4952
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore members,

Anyone keen to buy a DA polisher by Flex? Model is XC 3401 VRG and it's a top rated DA and used by most detailing enthusiasts/even professionals.

Price would work out to about Rs. 17, xxx.. Anyone serious enough to buy, please PM me. I am considering buying one. We can try for a bulk order price if anyone is genuinely interested. [Bulk order = 3 or more units].

Product is available to buy in B'lore itself.

Disclaimer: I am not commercially involved with any product/service and this is just to see if a financial benefit can be made by grouping any such possible purchase plans.

Cheers,
ajay K

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2011 at 14:16. Reason: Sorry, can't delete your post as it's already been replied to. You can repost a clarification if required
Old 28th September 2011, 16:26   #4953
BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore members,

Anyone keen to buy a DA polisher by Flex? Model is XC 3401 VRG and it's a top rated DA and used by most detailing enthusiasts/even professionals.

Price would work out to about Rs. 17, xxx.. Anyone serious enough to buy, please PM me. I am considering buying one. We can try for a bulk order price if anyone is genuinely interested. [Bulk order = 3 or more units].

Cheers,
ajay K
Is it the intro kit or just the polisher? The intro-kit is Amazon.com: FLEX XC3401 VRG Orbital Polisher Intro Kit: Automotive

17.x is a good price considering Amazon lists it at 349$
Old 28th September 2011, 17:07   #4954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverhick View Post
Is it the intro kit or just the polisher? The intro-kit.
17.x is a good price considering Amazon lists it at 349$
Only the polisher unit, with the standard bail handle, the side handle and an included backing plate [to which you attach the velcro buff pads].

Intro kit for this price is like asking for too much, IMO. I find this a very good price. Amazon's price is US$349. Convert from dollars to INR and then add to that shipping cost [US$ 50] and duty cost [27%]. You're looking at a product landing cost of well over 24K.

aK

Last edited by k_ajay : 28th September 2011 at 17:11. Reason: Adding potential landing cost for Amazon purchase.
Old 28th September 2011, 21:04   #4955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post
After claying, and waxing the surface with collinite, the surface is smooth, but I see swirls, lot of 'em infact.

How do I get rid of them? I guess this "medium cut compound" required, what is this ?
When the washing and the claying is over, we can actually see the real state of the paint surface. In 2K painting, most solid colours are not given a clear coat while the metallic colours definitely have a clear coat. Normal wear and tear of the surface create the microscopic swirls on the top or clear coats. Using microfiber cloth and being careful in removing the grit while washing will reduce wear and tear considerably.

Removing swirls require different grades of cutting compounds for optimal final result. These are professional products best used with the proper tools. I use the SMARTWAX range by Chemical Guys and distributed by Pete's in India. In this there are the Hard, Medium and Fine cutting compounds, followed by the Polish, Glaze and the Sealant. The waxes (many grades) follow. Porter Cable orbit sanders are used with the appropriate pads for each function.

For a quick solution, you can use the best cutting compound available with microfiber cloth for application and a separate one for wiping off. Follow this with sealants and waxes available. Use separate microfiber cloth for each application and wipe down - min of 8 required. I use 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post
the windshield of our car took a beating when one of wiper blades rubber came off during the rainy season, the scratches are not too deep but are prominent none the less , any solution?
Try using a cutting compound to see if it goes. Professional windshield restoration involves using a clear cyanoacrylate to fill the damage and then ground level. It wont have the hardness of the original glass but will do.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 23:09   #4956
BHPian

guys 3m opened its shop in mumbai borivali today. check out their fb page. will be going to them next week .
Old 29th September 2011, 10:24   #4957
BHPian

Quote:

BusyBee: You can take a clear picture of these spots too. This is where you should use manual focus. On Auto focus, the camera 'Will' be hunting in full white or black.
Thanks for the information. I am aware of it and use focal lock and manual extensively with my SLR. My post may have suggested otherwise.
Old 29th September 2011, 14:46   #4958
BHPian

Yes, guys!! 3M has opened a store in Mumbai, in Borivali.
You can contact Ms Rekha on 9920700386.
Do see the face book link for pictures of the store on Facebook 3M page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/3M...53581398029195

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th October 2011 at 12:44. Reason: removing font tag
Old 29th September 2011, 14:51   #4959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
you have to use water to get rid of the solution.
It's very much same as we use Shampoo while taking a bath

Dusting -> Wetting with Plain Water -> applying Shampoo -> cleaning with Plain water -> Drying with Chamois.
Perfect way to go. If you can also get the Formula 1 Carnuba wax and apply it every two months, then the F1 shampoo will ensure to retain the water beeding on your car giving it a great shine.
Old 29th September 2011, 15:16   #4960
BHPian

A powerful rule of thumb to find if the paint surface has been clayed properly. Use a thin cellophane foil (ideally the transparent one found on a cigarette cover), slid it over your fingers and move it over the paint surface. The surface imperfections are magnified, u can almost identify how clean the paint surface is. Try a before / After test on claying. I bet, u win........
Old 29th September 2011, 15:21   #4961
BHPian

I also noticed - when putting car covers, there is tendency for creepy crawlies and rats to get around. I guess anything like a blanket is comfy for these critters.
Old 29th September 2011, 17:01   #4962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
A powerful rule of thumb to find if the paint surface has been clayed properly. Use a thin cellophane foil (ideally the transparent one found on a cigarette cover), slid it over your fingers and move it over the paint surface. The surface imperfections are magnified, u can almost identify how clean the paint surface is. Try a before / After test on claying. I bet, u win........
Easy way: Just run your clean hand over the paint. The feel is totally different when clayed -it just glides. Can be done blindfolded.
Old 29th September 2011, 19:18   #4963
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Yes, guys!! 3M has opened a store in Mumbai, [FONT=Helv]in Borivali.
You can contact Ms Rekha on 9920700386.
Do see the face book link for pictures of the store on Facebook 3M page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/3M...53581398029195
I don't know whether you are aware, but majority of car dealerships use the 3M system on the PDI and also detailing needs of the customers. I am not too happy with the kind of service they churn out. What is the difference in this centre, i.e. besides the looks. The product range is same. No new technology.

Let me ask other bhpians, how happy are they with the lasting property (besides the cosmetic shine) of the 3M finish.

Comments welcome, so that we can come to a consensus on the main concern ---of the lasting property.
Old 30th September 2011, 00:02   #4964
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ajay, Nirmal and Sohail for your replies.

I will try to use the clay aggresively this time and see the result.
It is not rust or metallic kind of stuff.

Might be rubber or tar.

If claying does not help, I guess it is time to look for professional help. I do not have any experience in using rubbing compound or polishing. Given that these are abrasive stuff, I do not want to experiment on my car.

Cheers
Aadi
Old 30th September 2011, 08:19   #4965
BHPian

You can definitely use a compound like Megs Ultimate compound safely on your paint by yourself, they use the latest technology of SMAT abrasives which leaves a very good finish.

Search for the videos on youtube, there are instructional videos on how to use UC or Scratch X for spot scratch removal !

nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks