Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 21:05   #4801
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

A query to all detailing experts and those knowledgable,

I've bought a synthetic Chamois cloth when I went to Reliance Autozone today [poor quality phone pic attached; sorry]. I saw a leather chamois but didn't want to buy as the brand wasn't prominent and it costed Rs.575.

Q1. How should the synthetic chamois be used? Similar to a leather chamois, which is making it a light wet and wipe down the car after final water wash [it already comes pre-wet]? I'm a li'l unsure so thoutght I'd ask before using.

Q2. How to evaluate a good leather chamois? Has anyone purchased leather chamois from Reliance Autozone [Autoxxxx something brand]? Aren't genuine leather chamois costlier [than Rs.800]?

Thank you for your response[s].
aK

Pic of the box
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-synthetic-chamois-reliance-autozone.jpg
Old 27th August 2011, 10:43   #4802
Senior - BHPian

Chamois is a great to blot dry the car after a wash!

I have use a similar chamois in the past when I didnt know about waffle weave microfiber towels and they used to work great for blot drying!

When wet, they become extremely soft and slither on the surface. But dont slide it across the surface!(as it'll pick up dirt and drag it across the paint, leading to micro-marring or even tiny lil' scratches!)

You should try microfiber towels!
waffle weave absorbs loads of water and a ideal for drying the car!
Old 27th August 2011, 23:33   #4803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Aghosht,
Just to inform you and other bhpians, the system 3M uses to brand themselves is to supply their products to dealerships. They have obtained approval for their products.
Everyone is not aware of the standards they should get, hence this forum of education will slowly ensure we are not getting lesser than what we deserve.
+1, I guess most of us here are aware that 3M acquired Meguiar`s. Still, not all Meguiar`s product are available for sale in few 3M showrooms in India (Bangalore, Pune). For some strange reason, the 3M guys do not sell their product to customers!

For all who are expecting 100% perfection in 3m showrooms - please note its NOT always going to happen this way.

The guys working in the showroom (3M) are not always fully trained and specialized in these car detailing jobs. I would prefer to be absolutely certain that the guys working on my car is knowledgeable and experienced.
Please ensure this before giving your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I've bought a synthetic Chamois cloth when I went to Reliance Autozone today

Q1. How should the synthetic chamois be used?
aK
I use the same one (as noticed from your pic, size - 43 x 33 x 0.2cm) and bought it at 250/- an year ago.

It is very efficient to dry the car after a wash. It can be squeezed to remove water, make it dry before using it in the next portion of the car.
Washing - any mild detergent, dip the chamois for few minutes, wash it in clean water (tap water), squeeze it to remove excess water, put it inside the plastic cover while its still wet (somewhat, and not entirely dry) and put it inside the plastic case - better not to dry the chamois 100% before packing it inside the case for next use.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 27th August 2011 at 23:58. Reason: edit - addition
Old 28th August 2011, 08:48   #4804
BHPian

Most of what is sold as Chamois is below par and do move freely - too much friction. The better ones glide over wet surface. 3M has good chamois -not seen it India as yet. There are other brands which are better. It is important not to wring chamois when washing - just squeeze it between both hands.

I prefer microfiber towels for washing and wiping down. The waffle weave microfiber towels are the best for the windshield and glass in general. Keep a minimum of two micofiber towels for washing and drying. A third will be very useful if you use a quick detail at the end of a wash.
Keep the microfiber clean after use. Wash microfiber towels with gentle detergent in warm water- it opens up the microfiber to release entrapped dirt.
Old 29th August 2011, 11:17   #4805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
For all who are expecting 100% perfection in 3m showrooms - please note its NOT always going to happen this way.

The guys working in the showroom (3M) are not always fully trained and specialized in these car detailing jobs. I would prefer to be absolutely certain that the guys working on my car is knowledgeable and experienced.
Please ensure this before giving your car.
Very right. Detailing is simply that - close attention to detail. 99.99% of the places have semi-literate guys on the job with no commitment to quality. They are under pressure for a quick turnaround of cars

Quality requires attention and time. Good surface preparation at the cleaning stage is the most important factor. On an average, a thorough cleaning takes 10 man hours. All stages from claying onwards become easy after that.

When we want a quick turnaround in 3-5 hours at low costs, it simply does not work. There will be compromises.
Old 29th August 2011, 18:34   #4806
Senior - BHPian

Hi Detailing experts,

Can anyone comment on Turtle Wax Clear Vue Glass Polish, if you have used it or seen someone using it? Is it a good product to apply on the windshield for good water beading and keeping the windscreen and rear hatchdoor window clean?

I've used 3M window clear, was a good product and currently I'm using Armor All glass cleaner and it has worked well too.

cheers,
aK
Old 30th August 2011, 03:17   #4807
Senior - BHPian

Just to clarify that polishes cant protect a surface from anything. Clearvue one is just for removing stubborn stains on the glass.

For protection and easy cleaning, you have to use a dedicated sealant or wax.

I'd suggest you stick to the 3m, sonax or AA glass cleaner, whichever works best for you and use vinegar for tough jobs!

Last edited by sohail99 : 30th August 2011 at 03:19.
Old 30th August 2011, 07:31   #4808
BHPian

Sohail is the authority on detailing especially with all the products available in the metros. I am learning from him and all of you too about the products used there. I use a different product range.

We had earlier posts regarding windshields - best for general use is the clay and detail routine done at intervals to keep the glass squeaky clean. The difference is amazing especially when you drive at night in the rain. While at it don't forget to keep the wiper blades clean too.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 09:49   #4809
Senior - BHPian

Being a newbie to car detailing, it is very easy to get lost given the number of products available. I am trying to procure the products required to start off and believe me, it's not an easy task. Also, none of the products are available locally.

Now, the normal detailing process involves wash with shampoo, clay and wax.
Apart from these, what all additional products are required? There are specialized products for each of the following -
Plastics (dashboard etc)
Tire cleaner and gloss
Wheel cleaner
Fabric cleaner
Glass cleaner
Quick detailer etc etc

My question is - Does one require to have so many products? I am on a limited budget. So, what would be the suggestion of the experts?
Old 30th August 2011, 12:27   #4810
BHPian

My contribution to the thread:-

I recently bought the Mother's Protectant Spray for the Dash,plastic,rubber.

It costed me Rs.500 shipped from auto mall ebay(decent service)

My review:-

It's good!! Has a bubble gum fragrance to it, doesn't shine too much, easy application, It is far better than the crap that is applied when car goes in for service,which makes the dash all gooey and gives you a headache after a while.

Though,I dont know for how long it'll stay on, lets see, and yeah, It's not exactly cheap @ 500, but the bubble gum smell makes up for it

TIP:Clean you dash thoroughly with something like colin before application of this Protectant.

Cheers

GT

Last edited by GT500 : 30th August 2011 at 12:31.
Old 30th August 2011, 13:19   #4811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
There are specialized products for each of the following -
Plastics (dashboard etc)
Tire cleaner and gloss
Wheel cleaner
Fabric cleaner
Glass cleaner
Quick detailer etc etc

My question is - Does one require to have so many products?
There are two main categories - retail and professional range.

In both you will have many products which overlap but with slightly different features. Normally, you will need just the shampoo, clay, quick detail and a wax for the bodywork. Something for the plastics and Tyre gel should complete your immediate requirement. You will get very good results with this range itself.

The pro range has many cutting compounds and polishes, different waxes, different finishing products with multiple overlaps and depends on the effect you'll want to get in the final finish. Mind you the range is vast. Pro range is fabulous. But DIY done with attention to detail is good enough.

Anything worthwhile is imported. Get the best ORIGINAL material available. Too many dupes in the market.
basky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 13:40   #4812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra
Being a newbie to car detailing, it is very easy to get lost given the number of products available. I am trying to procure the products required to start off and believe me, it's not an easy task. Also, none of the products are available locally.

Apart from these, what all additional products are required? There are specialized products for each of the following -
Plastics (dashboard etc)
Tire cleaner and gloss
Wheel cleaner
Fabric cleaner
Glass cleaner
Quick detailer etc etc

My question is - Does one require to have so many products? I am on a limited budget. So, what would be the suggestion of the experts?
You can get eagle one a to z all wheel and tire cleaner for cleaning both the rims and tire sidewalls, even wheel wells!

Its easily available locally and safe too!

Fabric cleaner - Sonax is good. I use tw interior1. It isnt that powerful but then my interiors are always clean! Its easily available locally and gets the job done!

Glass cleaner - I mostly use sonax clear glass in case the glass is really dirty. Otherwise I just use a quick detailer on it. or ONR qd

Eagleone 20/20(glass cleaner) is great too.

Eagle one are easily available near my place and their cleaning products work well enough thats why I get them.

You can also try generic household glass cleaners, if they work for you.
(its all about, what product works best for you)

QD - I use ONR in qd dilution as a qd and clay lubricant. ONR is the best thing i've come across in a long time. For more gloss, you can try other QDs like megs UQD.

One locally available from formula1 is pearl glow auto polish spray! Works ok. Great for keeping in car for emergency bird bomb removal.

Last edited by sohail99 : 30th August 2011 at 13:56.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 13:58   #4813
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for your replies.
I am getting the following for exterior
Car shampoo? Any suggestions for brands which are easily available?
Mother's clay bar
Colinite 845

And ONR for regular cleaning and also plan to use it as a quick detailer.

For interiors, can you suggest something which is easily available for cleaning dashboard, doorpad etc? How are Amor All products? they have some products for interiors and tires which are readily available in Reliance Autozone.
Old 30th August 2011, 14:47   #4814
BHPian

Do not forget the humble toothbrush, wooden toothpick and the ear-buds. Cleans the edges of the glass, rubber beading and all the hard to reach areas. Keep the Baby tooth brush too - very handy!
Old 30th August 2011, 15:30   #4815
Senior - BHPian

Trust the Brand, Professionals put their trust in.....3M/Meg

best of the clay bars are from Meguiar's. now you can get the best of both brands under one roof, since 3M bought over Meguiar's.

MODS: please dont take it as an advert for 3M by me.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-time-enjoy.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 30th August 2011 at 15:42.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed