Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 23:32   #4921
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
there is jopasu duster for the dusty conditions in our city. so no need to wash your car everyday.
Precisely! Isn't thats what a duster is supposed to do?
I too have a Jopasu and it works really well but heard that the California duster is even better.
Particularly after waxing your car, a duster and some QD should be the daily maintenance and washing every 2-3 weeks (except rainy season when more frequent washes are required).
Giving the car for a daily wash and that too by those awful car washing guys is sure to cause more harm than good.

Get a duster, ONR (for QD), a good wax (colinite/meguiars) and few good quality MF clothes.

Last edited by adimicra : 22nd September 2011 at 23:36.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:55   #4922
BHPian

I have a doubt on claybar. How do you store an unused claybar and a claybar after use?
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:28   #4923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I have a doubt on claybar. How do you store an unused claybar and a claybar after use?
Benzinblut,

Unused clay bar will usually come packed in a skin tight plastic cover. It's safe to store it the same way in any box or a detailing bag.

Used claybar, you can put it in a ziplock cover or self seal cover, after spraying some Quik detailer/clay lube solution into that cover you're using.

Cheers
aK
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:46   #4924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Benzinblut,

Unused clay bar will usually come packed in a skin tight plastic cover. It's safe to store it the same way in any box or a detailing bag.

Used claybar, you can put it in a ziplock cover or self seal cover, after spraying some Quik detailer/clay lube solution into that cover you're using.

Cheers
aK
I have a set of claybar, wrapped in a single packet. After opening the packet, I will be using only 1 and will store the other.

I understadnd that I will store the used claybar in wet condition in a ziplock bag. And store it in the refrigerator?

How should I store the unused one? Can it be stored dry, in a ziplock at room temp?
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:36   #4925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post

Suggestions to make a good job even better -Perhaps if you use a medium cut compound before polishing and waxing the next time, you will be able to correct the hint of a swirl ..
Quick question,

After claying, and waxing the surface with collinite, the surface is smooth, but I see swirls, lot of 'em infact.

How do I get rid of them? I guess this "medium cut compound" required, what is this ?

And , the windshield of our car took a beating when one of wiper blades rubber came off during the rainy season, the scratches are not too deep but are prominent none the less , any solution?

Cheers

GT
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:50   #4926
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I have a set of claybar, wrapped in a single packet. After opening the packet, I will be using only 1 and will store the other.

I understadnd that I will store the used claybar in wet condition in a ziplock bag. And store it in the refrigerator?

How should I store the unused one? Can it be stored dry, in a ziplock at room temp?
Please store the ziplock cover away from sunlight or heat sources, they will dry out the bar & the lube. Dont ever use water, only clay lube or ONR.
Old 24th September 2011, 22:30   #4927
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Knowledge gathered from you all , you may refer below link for the outcome on my ride -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2518489

Last edited by AvonA7 : 24th September 2011 at 22:31.
Old 24th September 2011, 22:55   #4928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Refrigerator??? No, of course not. Just store it in some cool, dry place. I keep mine in a cupboard. Just check the pack every 10 days to see if clay lube has evaporated or is still there.

Unused one, yes ziplock cover or any small plastic box, like Nirmail mentioned, away from sunlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post
Quick question,

After claying, and waxing the surface with collinite, the surface is smooth, but I see swirls, lot of 'em infact.

How do I get rid of them? GT
Removing swirls is very tough to achieve by hand. For this job, its best to have a professional paint corrector or a detailer work on your car, to remove the swirls.

The professional detailer will know what product to use to remove the swirls, depending upon the level and intensity of paint damage [swirls, scratches, etc].

If it's important to do this by hand and by yourself, products 'like' Meguiar's Scratch X and Ultimate Compound will partially help [again, keep the expectations realistic].

aK
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 23:15   #4929
BHPian

I bought a couple of products from auto-mall thru ebay and had a terrible experience dealing with them.

At first there was a delay in replying to shipping and then no replies to emails. When the products finally reached me, I was in for a bigger shock.

I had ordered the mothers metallic polish, glass cleaner and upholstery cleaner. The first two products were good. But the upholstery cleaner was definitely used. Right out from the carton, the cleaner had a nozzle which had the liquid dried on it. Further more on opening the bottle, it was half empty. I have filed a ebay resolution for this - but just a heads up for other users. Just double check once you receive the products
Old 26th September 2011, 23:42   #4930
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverhick View Post
I bought a couple of products from auto-mall thru ebay and had a terrible experience dealing with them.

At first there was a delay in replying to shipping and then no replies to emails. When the products finally reached me, I was in for a bigger shock.

I had ordered the mothers metallic polish, glass cleaner and upholstery cleaner. The first two products were good. But the upholstery cleaner was definitely used. Right out from the carton, the cleaner had a nozzle which had the liquid dried on it. Further more on opening the bottle, it was half empty. I have filed a ebay resolution for this - but just a heads up for other users. Just double check once you receive the products
Surprising. I have had good experiences till now. Automall definitely is slow in shipping, but I doubt they would ship you used products. I purchased 3 things from them till now: 2 Mothers wash and wax shampoo and 1 wheel cleaner. Their shipping is slow but the products were new.

The only problem I see is the shoddy surface transport through DTDC. IMHO, they are probably one of the worst shippers and 1 product arrived with slight damage due to transportation, although automall packed it well. It was the 2litre car shampoo bottle, whose cover had a crack. but the seal was intact.
Old 27th September 2011, 01:01   #4931
Senior - BHPian

Apart from tiny tar spots and some swirl marks, there is a third kind of spots in my car... looks like dirt or something embedded in the surface.
These are not scratches for sure - the surface is smooth.
Attaching a couple of pics (excuse for the poor quality and dark pics). If required, I will post couple of better snaps tomorrow.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-26092011003.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-26092011.jpg

Claying did not help to remove these.

All experts, can you please tell me what are these and how to get rid of them?

On a different note, I have decided to try some diesel for removing tar spots. I know it is a strong solvent but after having read the feedback at many different places, I feel it should be safe.

Last edited by adimicra : 27th September 2011 at 01:03.
Old 27th September 2011, 03:09   #4932
BHPian

How do you guys remove rust? Say car parts or general house hold items and then what do you use to protect it so that it won't rust again?

I think the fanatics on this thread are the right folks to answer this Q and so didn't ask it on any other thread
Old 27th September 2011, 09:20   #4933
Senior - BHPian

If its frank rust, you can try a rust converter spray, usually available at hw shops, or you can use sandpaper to abrade the rust away and expose fresh metal, then clean it thoroughly with IPA and apply touch up paint to fully cover the area!

I had a tiny rust spot behind my right tail lamp(due to irresponsibility of bodyshop guys!) I sanded it down to bare metal and sealed it with some touch up paint!

Last edited by sohail99 : 27th September 2011 at 09:28.
Old 27th September 2011, 10:50   #4934
Senior - BHPian

I have a Formula 1 Wash and Wax bottle (suitable for 100 washes as per the instructions).
I tried using this yesterday. The procedure on the bottle is not very clear to me and probably the results could be better if I learn to use it the right way.
The instructions indicate that I need to add one squeeze worth of liquid in a gallon of water and then rinse and wash and then dry.
Once you add water to the liquid, the whole bucket is filled with lather - just like the way washing powder would turn into lather.

What I have done so far is to use a sponge and apply it over one part of the car. Then I have used another damp cloth to get rid of the soap solution which is now on the car (I can even see some soap bubbles at a few places. Then finally I have used another cloth to wipe dry.

Is it right to get rid of this soap solution from the car exterior? Or am I wiping off the wax in this process?

Last edited by S_U_N : 27th September 2011 at 10:53.
Old 27th September 2011, 11:12   #4935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
If its frank rust, you can try a rust converter spray, usually available at hw shops, or you can use sandpaper to abrade the rust away and expose fresh metal, then clean it thoroughly with IPA and apply touch up paint to fully cover the area!
Say its a bathroom fitting. Can't paint it then. So once the rust is removed and IPA is applied, what can we coat the fittings with since paint can't be applied?

Most Viewed