Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 11:44   #5011
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
I had a query may be sohail can provide some input . How Effective are Autoglym Products specially the polish and Wax/sealant ?
I have used their glass polish for many years. I even gave some here from my last UK trip. It is excellent.

Never used anything else from their range, though: too expensive!
Old 10th October 2011, 12:23   #5012
Senior - BHPian

Just did a survey of Opera House in Mumbai looking for car detailing products and learnt

1. No one stocks Meguiar's products (since they are very expensive and there are no buyers.)
2. I found a clay bar at only one shop and he had only one piece)
3. Formula 1 and Armor All products are available in plenty. Seems they have good local distributions.
4. Forgot to inquire about Micro Fiber cloths (unfortunately)

Checked at 3M, Viman Nagar for Meguiar's products:
1. They don't have clay bars (I am told, Meguiar does not sell clay bars and I am also told that this is not a DIY product so only professionals need to use this)
2. There are some interior cleaning products (e.g. for leather) and some wash/wax products readily available off the shelf.
3. They do not have Micro Fiber cloths
4. They do have a wax (NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0 Paste) available for Rs. 1405/- (US price is $20).

Just thought of putting this together in case someone is interested.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 13:49   #5013
BHPian

Posting the pricing details for the Car Lounge (detailing center) by Madhu Automobiles. The rates are definitely competitive & they use only Meguiar's products. Also posted some post detailing pics.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-shop-1.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx THE CAR LOUNGE RATE CHART.xlsx (11.8 KB, 895 views)
File Type: xlsx PRICE DIFF.xlsx (11.3 KB, 910 views)

Last edited by mb_jg : 10th October 2011 at 13:51.
Old 10th October 2011, 14:13   #5014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, to prevent mist in the first place, you could run the AC with the blower directed towards the windshield.
If it helps, in Jetta the Auto mode opens all flaps to circulate air throughout the car. This specially when it rains creates a foggy/misty wind shield right at the centre just above the vent.

The only way to ensure that this mist is not formed is to now direct air only from the driver and passenger facings vents and allowing internal re-circulation. This completely closes the front, near the windshield vents and prevents mist from forming.

In Swift the only way to achieve this was to switch on the heater every two/three minutes and ensuring the filmy layer is never formed near the windshield as there is no way to stop cold air from going out of the front vent near the windshield.

Most of the indian cars are designed like Swift when it comes to Vents. So we have to find a way to spot the misty formation and immediately switch to heated air in the demister.
Old 11th October 2011, 14:09   #5015
BHPian

Posting a few pics of the work done by The Car Lounge.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-merc-a1.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-merc-a4.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-merc-a5..jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-merc-a5.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-merc.jpg  

Old 11th October 2011, 16:42   #5016
Senior - BHPian

It seems that most of the good products are out of stock (both with AutoMall as well as with Sanjay @Bringing best. I wonder if this is the TeamBHP effect
I have a Pearl White Cedia and I am planning to get the following products:
CALIFORNIA GOLD CLAY BAR SYSTEM (Rs. 1254 includes one QD, 2x 80G clay bars, 1 MF cloth).
Collinite 845 is not in stock (approx. Rs. 950) and hence I have selected
Mothers FX Syn Wax® Liquid - 16oz (Rs. 456).
Is that the right choice for my pearl white colour?

I am planning to get some MF cloths but the medium-good ones are out of stock at the moment.
I gathered that Polish is an optional step and I can skip that.
So, what else do I need to complete the process?

Other products that I am thinking of are:
MOTHERS GLASS CLEANER (24 oz for Rs. 330)
Some other solution that can help enhance my alloys and tires (a good 2-in-1 product is what I am looking for).
Old 11th October 2011, 17:57   #5017
Senior - BHPian

@SUN

For the pearl white i would recommend the 915 or 845 from collinite. But if you can get hold of opti seal(or any other sealant) it would be great.

Clay the car, seal it and then wax it(Wax can be any wax. Just knowing the frequency at which you need to re-wax is what matters). I use a simple wax but i just wax it every week till i get hold of the opti seal.

None of the products are available now in Sanjay or Automall. Seems like a huge delay in shipment.

For alloys and Tyres - I just use a spray cleaner from Formula 1 and i am quite happy with that. Its a wheel care product and you just have to spray it on the wheels and does not foam.

My list of things for a pearl white would be:-
- Clay
- Opti Seal
- 915 or 845 wax(coat it twice)
- No rinse for cleaning
- No rinse as quick detailer.

Micro Fibre cloth for cleaning and a foam applicator for applying the wax.
Old 11th October 2011, 18:01   #5018
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking to give my Punto to 3M car care this weekend. My car is 8 months old & is fairly clean, except a few scratches caused by the cleaner, some dirt on the underside & some tar spots.

I think I will opt for the Powershine package (Rs. 895). In this, they will wash the car with foam gun, then with high pressure jet to loosen grime, then wax the car with rotary machine, then dry vacuum the interiors & boot & then wash & degrease the engine.

They say it will also take care of the tar spots.

I have used a different car spa 4 months back but they use diesel to remove tar spots. Isnt it harmful for the paint? That is the reason my search for a better car spa began, although the other guys are cheaper.

Any suggestion guys?
Old 11th October 2011, 19:27   #5019
Senior - BHPian

Autoglym is pretty good. I have used pretty much their entire range and really recommend the Super resin polish and Extra Gloss Protection combination.

Hope this isnt taken as advertising but I have posted the link from where I get it in Mumbai below. I think they are the main importers :

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000]Autowin International[/COLOR][/SIZE]

8 Mayuresh Cosmos,
Sector-11,CBD Belapur,
New Mumbai - 400614

Tel. : + 22 27566771
Mob.: + 22 27566873
Mob.: + 9820006062
+ 9320206062

email: sales@autoglym.in[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 11th October 2011, 20:23   #5020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Just did a survey of Opera House in Mumbai looking for car detailing products and learnt

1. No one stocks Meguiar's products (since they are very expensive and there are no buyers.)
Just checked, Meguiar products are available on Ebay India.
Old 12th October 2011, 10:23   #5021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@SUN

My list of things for a pearl white would be:-
- Clay
- Opti Seal
- 915 or 845 wax(coat it twice)
- No rinse for cleaning
- No rinse as quick detailer.
Both Opti Seal and the wax are out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moinakg View Post
Just checked, Meguiar products are available on Ebay India.
The ones that you find on ebay are exorbitantly priced. For a beginner like me it probably does not make sense for me to put in that kind of money. I guess, the product may not make much difference until I get more experience with the technique.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 11:34   #5022
Senior - BHPian

Guys how can I remove Tar Spots from the alloy wheels of my civic?
Old 12th October 2011, 11:53   #5023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post

You have many options...Since its alloy wheels,you can use WD40/Zorrik88 .First wash the alloy.Spray on a small part of tar.Allow it to stand for half a minute and use a scrub to rub it off.Later you should rinse the alloy with generous soap water so that all the solvent residue is removed.
You can also use diesel .Cheaper option.

Or if you have some used clay left from your previous detailing session you can use it with a quick detailer too too
Old 12th October 2011, 12:04   #5024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You have many options...Since its alloy wheels,you can use WD40/Zorrik88 .
I am in a similar situation. I tried WD40 since I had it at home, however it didn't help much. I have now purchased a Bug and Tar remover and tried it on the alloy and it did a much better job than WD40. This solution has got kerosene in it and an afterthought was to get kerosene directly and use it if this is cheaper.

Although I was expecting this to be a spray and wipe operation, turns out it is still an effort to get rid of the tar and I still need to scrub even after applying the tar remover solution. I will experiment more, when I have more time at hand.
Old 12th October 2011, 13:09   #5025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am in a similar situation. I tried WD40 since I had it at home, however it didn't help much. I have now purchased a Bug and Tar remover and tried it on the alloy and it did a much better job than WD40. This solution has got kerosene in it and an afterthought was to get kerosene directly and use it if this is cheaper.

Although I was expecting this to be a spray and wipe operation, turns out it is still an effort to get rid of the tar and I still need to scrub even after applying the tar remover solution. I will experiment more, when I have more time at hand.

Yes,the tar spots on the alloys need more work to be removed mainly because they take the direct hit from the road.One more effective solution is the wheel cleaner.What i have learnt is if i use wheel cleaner on the spots and leave it for a minute and then scrub the alloy with a brush,it removes most of the tar spots.Even if it does not remove all the spots,it certainly weakens the remaining ones which can be then easily removed using WD40/Zorrik88/Diesel/Kerosine.

I use Formula 1 wheel gold,which i find is pretty decent at cleaning the wheels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks