Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 11:31   #5161
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Is anyone aware of 3M services (like the one listed above) in Mumbai? If someone does not want to do the detailing/washing, etc. themselves and are using their regular car wash guys cleaning it up everyday with a dirty banian cloth, a regular use of such services may help right? Maybe wax every 6 months and wash every month like this.
Here you go:

Contact Information

- Name of the contact person: Bansi/Rekha
- Phone numbers: 9820700386/9920700386
- Postal Address: 3M Car Care, Shop No. 2 to 7, Aditya Building, A-1 Extension, Chikuwadi, New Link Road, Borivali (W), Mumbai - 92.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:10   #5162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartzik View Post
I hope i am addressing this in the right thread.

Since i am new to this forum and do not have much knowledge on this i was wondering if any of you pro's can guide me on what is going wrong here. Is this a clear coat failure ? If so is there any treatment which can fix this other than a complete re-paint of the whole car ? Kindly advise.
This is the right thread, and welcome to Team-BHP.

Though I am not an expert, one of my car had a similar issue. In the photograph appears it as if there are small bubbles (especially on the top white patch - not the one that you have marked!).
If there are bubbles, then it is nothing but rusting underneath. I have a feeling that this is an accident case and it has been repainted after quite some time.

But experts can correct me if I am wrong. I have no idea about that white patch turning into black though - some chemical reaction?
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 14:12   #5163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Believe me, its totally worth the money. I do not have the price list with me, but let me try and get it for everyones' benefit. Will update the thread once I get it. Yes, they do have a treatment to get rid of swirl marks. I..
Can you share their email address?
Edit: Apologies for the back to back posts. Did not realize that I was replying in the same thread.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:14   #5164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Can you share their email address?
Edit: Apologies for the back to back posts. Did not realize that I was replying in the same thread.
Email ID:3mcarcarebaner@gmail.com You can address the email to Mr. Pradip Deohare.
Old 25th November 2011, 15:09   #5165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartzik View Post
Is this a clear coat failure ? If so is there any treatment which can fix this other than a complete re-paint of the whole car ? Kindly advise.
Hello Kartzik: I don't know the details but I had faced a similar problem in my Maruti Zen (now sold). Mine was a Rouge Red and re-paint on the bonnet because of an accident.
Your car has seen a roadside bodyshop and the painter has done it with sloppy putty & Base coat.
You will need to re-paint the whole bonnet (if that is only the affected area). My advice is to go for a reputed body shop, who may charge more then the roadside guy, but worth the money.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 16:57   #5166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Is anyone aware of 3M services (like the one listed above) in Mumbai? If someone does not want to do the detailing/washing, etc. themselves and are using their regular car wash guys cleaning it up everyday with a dirty banian cloth, a regular use of such services may help right? Maybe wax every 6 months and wash every month like this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...re-mumbai.html
Old 25th November 2011, 17:58   #5167
Senior - BHPian

@kartzik - Yes that surely looks like clearcoat failure!

if the cloth or applicator you were using to polish that area tuned black, then thats the base coat showing through! Probably the paint was never cared for by the previous owner!

Only solution for that is getting it repainted from an expert bodyshop!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 13:36   #5168
BHPian

I got my Grit Guard 2 days back from USA. Seems good and sturdy HDPE plastic.
Now next step is get my cars detailed & swirl free & hope not to get the swirls again. I believe swirls are more prone in the monsoon when you get a lot of dirt on the body.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03367.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03368.jpg  

Old 29th November 2011, 09:16   #5169

Thanks SUN, kkvaidya and Sohail99 sir for your valuable inputs.
I think the only option available now is to go for a re-paint.
I see a lot of positive feedback for SAI Colorium in this forum. I'll probably check with them on their quote for a complete car repaint (same color) since my whole car looks a bit faded.
Should wait for bangalore's weather to get a bit sunny before anything is done i guess.
So would they be sanding down the clearcoat, wash it down and lay a new layer of clear coat only ? Or would they also strip the base coat and lay a new one ? I do not see any rusting so i guess its not required to strip the primer as such. Just curious.
Old 29th November 2011, 13:54   #5170
BHPian

Hi Kartzik,

When going for a repaint, its always better to strip down till metal & reapply primer, with putty etc.

The end result also depends on how well the base work is done, its an important step in the whole process.

Sai colorium can be contacted @ - 95384 52724 (Ananth) . There is a thread & you can also check their website.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 18:06   #5171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I received the photos of my Vista through email which were clicked by the 3M guys using their digicam . These are Before/After kinds.
Front view: You can observe that black grill looks actually black in the After photo.
Looks like a decent job. However, look carefully at the lighting of the Befores and the afters and see the after job is highlighted. Good photography by them.

@kartzik : Sorry that you landed with a lemon of a paint job. Is your paint metallic or solid black? The painter will have to paper your car thoroughly to figure out how far deep you have to go. The colour coat seems to affected and not just the clear coat. The original paint should be a 2K job. What they used for the repaint is currently unknown. A good repaint is ideal. Remove all the low quality paint and refinish it. You may be able to get away by applying a 2K sealant coat (used to seal in non 2K undercoats) followed by 2K colour coats saving the trouble of a full repaint from scratch. However that can be judged only after rubbing down a small area and testing it. Depends again on how long you intend to keep the car. Take heart that it can be fixed for sure.

Last edited by basky : 29th November 2011 at 18:29.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 18:23   #5172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
Looks like a decent job. However, look carefully at the lighting of the Befores and the afters and see the after job is highlighted. Good photography by them.
Agreed, but forget the photos. These are just indicators. You can believe what I have mentioned as the owner. So chill.
Old 29th November 2011, 19:56   #5173

Thanks Nirmal and Basky,
The paint is metallic. I'll follow up with Ananth from SAI to see whats the best way to go about it.
Old 29th November 2011, 20:08   #5174
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj2010 View Post
You could be right about the different climates. Not sure about what oils you are referring too however, paint finishes these days are very durable. If you washed and did a full detail I dont think you would experience any issues.

Till very recently, most paints are solvent based (very new ones are water based, but that's another story). Over time the paints become brittle and the resins in them break down due to heat, environment, etc (signs like oxidation, etc), just like how plastics break down and get weathered after several years. A good wax forms a protective layer for the paint and protects it from the elements. A sealant helps but it is recommended to replenish the wax after a detail where you polish the surface and then seal it with a good sealant.
Old 30th November 2011, 01:46   #5175
BHPian

Guys, I need a bit of help.
My dad, trying to be helpful, sprayed the car with borewell water standing in the balcony. This has created spots on the car due to the salts. Despite multiple attempts at washing I havent been able to get them out completely.

Now, I am planning to wash with a vinegar solution (diluted) and then repolish and rewax the car (coll 845).

Is this safe?

The other option I thought was to use a dilute solution of pril and try to get it cleaned. Please give me your inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks