Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 13:11   #5251
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
MEN IN BLACK
A very apt name for car owners with black color cars and who DiY on them.

Quote:
I got better results with the 3M tape. With ABRO I required additional cleaning to remove the adhesive residue, post removal.
ABRO tape is easily available at any hardware shop and bought it at last minute. Next time 3M or Meguiars shall be used.

Quote:
Just buy anything solid for the jackstand. Karcher is expensive. I have their spray extractor too - works like a dream in cleaning the insides of the post vacuuming.
Karcher will be sure be expensive but always like to settle for the best. Collecting vitamin M for the same.
Basky can you suggest me from Karcher range which would be apt for me. Simple and upto the job just like yours.

Quote:
Thanks for the beautiful narration peppered with photos. Your English teacher would be proud! So are we. Am sure many (Men in Black) will follow your footsteps. As all your effort was manual, it is more commendable.
Thanks for the kind work. Would be great to know if I aspire someone.

Quote:
With so many TBHPians into DIY, my suggestion is that small groups (max 12/ group) are formed in each city to pool in and buy and share these tool. Have DIY meets to move things faster.

Why 12? - about that many weekends in 3 months.
A very good idea. Let see if we can work out something here at Mumbai. Only problem is the space constraint and the time.
Old 19th December 2011, 15:26   #5252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Karcher will be sure be expensive but always like to settle for the best. Collecting vitamin M for the same.
Basky can you suggest me from Karcher range which would be apt for me. Simple and upto the job just like yours.
The pressure washer I use is quite old - dont think they make that model now. It is anyway a basic model with about 100psi output. Check your water supply position and co-relate with the model requirement too. If you buy a higher pressure model, your water supply rate should be adequate.

Check the Karcher website for the dealer closest to you. They will have a better idea of what works for you at your location. A demo will be in order. Call in a few TBHP members and the agent will be drooling for your business. The range is simply too vast and confusing.
Frankly, if it is not being used daily, get the cheap Chinese models - they work quite well even when misused!

Re:Tool Sharing
Quote:
A very good idea. Let see if we can work out something here at Mumbai. Only problem is the space constraint and the time.
Space is a major restriction. If there were enough enthusiasts in one apartment block, common facilities would have been a dream. Sigh!
basky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 15:36   #5253
Senior - BHPian

Re: Collinite 845 not withstanding swirls ?

Quote:
How short could be the time frame? Never discouraged always motivated to buy something new to substitute it.
Any idea how much the 3.5 Tonne jack would cost?
To be honest, I don't have an answer.

Quote:

The max you should is to invest in a pair of jackstands - not very expensive. You can get smaller and cheaper trolley jacks or bottle jacks. Else stick to the scissor jack which comes with car. Prop up the car (after lifting with any jack) with the jackstand or at least a couple of old tyres to be safe.
I was looking at this but that was too heavy for anyone to carry from UK for me. So dropped the idea for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post

what i mean is the collinite coat gets swirled very easily.

even wiping with jopasu duster causes lot of marks on this layer.

havent faced this with turtle wax or any other wax
Is this a wax issue? Or is this a cleaning method issue? I think it should be the latter one.

@el: Very nice work. Lots of patience demonstrated. I am surprised that SwirlX was able to get rid of swirls for you, just by hand.

Also, I have the same Viking applicator pad and I think it was a waste of money. It absorbs too much of wax/ polish.

I also need to do de-badging and cleaning. How did you fix the badges back onto the body?
Old 19th December 2011, 15:51   #5254
BHPian

Re: Jackstands
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
but that was too heavy for anyone to carry from UK for me. So dropped the idea for now.
Not worth importing. These things are available at the local auto spare parts shops at fairly low prices. Well made too.

Quote:
I also need to do de-badging and cleaning. How did you fix the badges back onto the body?
I use a surgical suture and a heat gun to de-badge.
You can use 3M's double sided tape or a glue gun to stick it back. But why bother to de-badge and then stick it back? Just use a humble tooth brush - baby's size if possible- and clean up the muck in between the badge(s).
Old 19th December 2011, 15:55   #5255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@el: Very nice work. Lots of patience demonstrated. I am surprised that SwirlX was able to get rid of swirls for you, just by hand.

Also, I have the same Viking applicator pad and I think it was a waste of money. It absorbs too much of wax/ polish.

I can't imagine how much magic a DA would make. But its quite costly, simply for Meguiars DA G220V2 Rs. 14288 and pads for it costing Rs. 1500. I simply can't afford such high cost pads, DA can do for one time investment.
Viking pad is good for SwirlX, didn't absorb much as its quite vicious liquid. I would recommend you AutoShow's QuikPad. It does absorb some wax, but press it hard and all wax comes out. I use it for applying Collinite 915.
I haven't debadged my ride in the first place, so no fixing back comes into the scene. I'm planning to remove Volkswagen and Vento, leaving only TDi for next detailing session.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 19th December 2011 at 15:56.
Old 19th December 2011, 15:55   #5256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i regularly use collinite 845 1-2 layers after polish and swirl removing process.

i have observed that even though collinite 845 gives very good and long protections it does not withstand swirls.

what i mean is the collinite coat gets swirled very easily.

even wiping with jopasu duster causes lot of marks on this layer.

havent faced this with turtle wax or any other wax

Actually,the collinite 845 is a pure wax meaning it does not contain any fillers,which mask the swirls. I think the turtle wax you use contains fillers,so only it hides those swirls.

As you said rightly,its the most durable wax present in market at present suitable for Indian conditions
Old 19th December 2011, 15:56   #5257
Senior - BHPian

@basky: Thanks.
I am going to try WD-40 and tooth brush or something smaller and see how it goes.

The chrome on the badges may need some shine/ polish too. I don't have anything in my arsenal for that at the moment.

Last edited by S_U_N : 19th December 2011 at 15:58.
Old 19th December 2011, 17:52   #5258
BHPian

Quote:
3M any day. They are professional and use Meguiars products. Always ask the detailing shops which products do they use and what all steps they perform for preparing the paint work. Cheaper job is not always the best because of inferior products used.
3M may be costly but you will get peace of mind job and that to with a guarantee, what else would you want.
Thanks,

But i did hear from couple of my friends that Waxoyl is better than 3M
Old 19th December 2011, 20:06   #5259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~VinZ~~ View Post
But i did hear from couple of my friends that Waxoyl is better than 3M
Did some Googling, actually Waxoyl is a Switzerland based company which specializes in making products for car detailing and rust prevention.
Opulent India is the company which imports Waxoyl products.
You can contact or email them and they shall guide you through where you could get your car detailing done in Bangalore:
Opulent Auto Care Pvt. Ltd
Opulent, SR.NO. 33/2/2/1+2
Opp. Shivneri Society
Baner Pune – 411 045
Phone +91 20 272 15050
E-Mail: info@opulentindia.com

I think Waxoyl should also be equivalent or if not better than 3M. Never heard of it. When you will get your car detailed from Waxoyl would give us a better insight. Do let us know of the outcome.
Old 19th December 2011, 22:41   #5260
BHPian

Quote:
@basky: Thanks.
I am going to try WD-40 and tooth brush or something smaller and see how it goes.
Same routine: use any mild car wash but with some concentration and a soft(baby) toothbrush. Wash well when finished and finish off with liquid or paste wax to protect the area.

Quote:
The chrome on the badges may need some shine/ polish too. I don't have anything in my arsenal for that at the moment.
Apply any mild body polish with a microfiber and keep polishing gently. I use a dedicated product which is very good - Blue-b-gone by SMARTWAX. Very effective on chrome exhaust pipes too. Other companies will also have similar products.
Old 20th December 2011, 10:10   #5261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I
However, this one guy I spoke to at Dupont (they mainly specialize in body work) said that wax polish is the worst for your car, .
Where did get in touch with Dupont? Do they have any bodyshop here in India?
Old 20th December 2011, 19:39   #5262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Where did get in touch with Dupont? Do they have any bodyshop here in India?
They have one in Margao, where I stay, in Goa. Specializes in only body work. I had some minor paint touch up job, anti-corrosion coating (underbody as well as inner non-accessible metal parts) and complete interior detailing job done from him. Was highly satisfied with the quality of the job done.

This particular outlet has a website as well, I could PM you the link if you want.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 20th December 2011 at 19:41.
Old 20th December 2011, 21:22   #5263
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if the Black and Decker pressure washer is any good ?
Old 20th December 2011, 23:21   #5264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Any idea if the Black and Decker pressure washer is any good ?
Pressure washer in order of preference Karcher, Bosch and Black & Decker.

I'm too looking for a pressure washer. Looked up at entry level pressure washer by Karcher and inquired for the same.
As Basky had previously said Karcher is way too expensive. Inquired the Mumbai dealer today turns out Karcher K2.120 costs Rs. 20500 whereas in UK it costs less than 100 pounds which translates to Rs. 8300. Reason for high cost being duties and higher import cost, talk about fleecing.

I have a trip for Australia planned in 4th week of Jan, so planning to get Karcher K2.180. Costs roughly A$ 135 which turns out to be Rs. 7200. Which is still better than Rs. 20000 K2.120.
As there is no detergent tank planning to get Foam nozzle 0.6 lt which would take care of that to.

What are the thoughts of Men in Black?

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 20th December 2011 at 23:23.
Old 21st December 2011, 08:36   #5265
BHPian

Quote:
Karcher is way too expensive. Karcher K2.120 costs Rs. 20500 whereas in UK it costs less than 100 pounds which translates to Rs. 8300. Reason for high cost being duties and higher import cost, talk about fleecing.
Men in Black

Quote:
I have a trip for Australia planned in 4th week of Jan, so planning to get Karcher K2.180[/url]. Costs roughly A$ 135 which turns out to be Rs. 7200. Which is still better than Rs. 20000 K2.120.
As there is no detergent tank planning to get Foam nozzle 0.6 lt[/url] which would take care of that to.
Just the right combination. That will be at the price of the 'cheap' Chinese thing. So what is the real cost of the cheap Chinese thing?

The problem of buying abroad is the choice available - you will want everything you see. Warning: If you see the demo of the Puzzi 8/1 C spray extractor which I use, you may be tempted

Have to check the price difference too. It will be another shockker.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks