Are the spots in the paint or glass?
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 08:42   #5177
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
This has created spots on the car due to the salts. The other option I thought was to use a dilute solution of pril
I suppose you are referring to spots on the car bodywork. Don't use Pril, it will strip your finish off essential waxes. If there are spots on the car, a good polish from a professional center like 3M should remove them completely.

A diluted vinegar solution works brilliantly on hard water spots on the glass which you can use to remove spot marks on the glass.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 10:54   #5178
Senior - BHPian

i have bought the poorboysworlds most famous black hole glaze for dark vehicles.

it says its a glaze. so after washing my car throughly can i apply it directly or do i need to clay it first , then polish it, then apply this glaze and then apply collinite 845 wax?

i hope the collinite doesnt have any cleansers, otherwise it will remove this Black hole glaze.

Experts please guide.
Old 30th November 2011, 20:17   #5179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Are the spots in the paint or glass?
Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I suppose you are referring to spots on the car bodywork. Don't use Pril, it will strip your finish off essential waxes. If there are spots on the car, a good polish from a professional center like 3M should remove them completely.

A diluted vinegar solution works brilliantly on hard water spots on the glass which you can use to remove spot marks on the glass.

Cheers,
gpa
Okay, no Pril. I think I am going to clay the car and see if that helps. Probably will put a little vinegar in my clay lube.

Then polish and wax! Wish me luck.
Old 30th November 2011, 22:01   #5180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i have bought the poorboysworlds most famous black hole glaze for dark vehicles.

it says its a glaze. so after washing my car throughly can i apply it directly or do i need to clay it first , then polish it, then apply this glaze and then apply collinite 845 wax?

i hope the collinite doesnt have any cleansers, otherwise it will remove this Black hole glaze.

Experts please guide.
That glaze has fillers which will visually eliminate swirls! Its usually Wash > clay > light polish or paint cleaner(mostly to remove remnant of previous waxes) > glaze(black hole) > wax/seal

Don't worry, collinite 845 wont take anything off! Just mix it up properly before applying!

Do post pics!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 22:07   #5181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
That glaze has fillers which will visually eliminate swirls! Its usually Wash > clay > light polish or paint cleaner(mostly to remove remnant of previous waxes) > glaze(black hole) > wax/seal

Don't worry, collinite 845 wont take anything off! Just mix it up properly before applying!

Do post pics!
the tuscan wine color is very difficult to maintain. swirly enjoy their glory
on my car. my heart sinks to see so many swirls.

but this is the best color to view from distance.

can i follow the below steps as i dont have clay.

1. Wash with eagle 1 nano wash and wax.
2. Use Mag swirl remover/ formula1 swirl remover with rotary buffer + wool pad

3. Apply Black hole glaze
4. Apply collinite 3 layers

Please guide

Million thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 07:03   #5182
BHPian

Re: how to clean Car Sponge effectively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Using running water to hose down a car is a criminal waste of water, unless you are using a pressure washer, which will cut down the use. Irrespective a typical hose wash will use more than 75 litres of water, whereas a bucket wash (2 bucket technique) will use around 25-28 litres.
If you live in a metro, you have little choice but to use 2 buckets of water (or less) especially if your housing apartment block does not recycle its run off water.
In a smaller town like mine, I have the privilege of using my well with good, clean, soft water. Run off water is rerouted to a soak pit and hence recycled. Take it for granted that if you wash your car with 2 buckets of water, you will certainly have more fine grit on your cloth which will, without doubt, be abrasive. Use a soak, lather, pressure wash routine to get an ultra clean car. No bucket wash will clean the wheel wells and the under body like a pressure washer does. Routine maintenance washes with just a pressure wash and a quick detail solution will keep the car sparkling - without any criminal waste of water.
Old 1st December 2011, 10:06   #5183
Senior - BHPian

^@BusyBee: I agree that pressure wash works best with wheel wells and underbody. Also pressure wash is more effective in getting grime off the car. In short it is a much faster way to wash/ clean the car.
However, if you are using chemicals (found in many shampoos and detailing liquids), then will this not contaminate the water that you are planning to recycle?
How exactly do you recycle this contaminated water further down in your process?

Sorry for going slightly off-topic.
Old 1st December 2011, 10:09   #5184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Can you share their email address?
Edit: Apologies for the back to back posts. Did not realize that I was replying in the same thread.
Hey S_U_N, did you get any response from the 3M guys on email? Have you planned a visit to the center in the near future? Please do post your experiences, if and when you visit.
Old 1st December 2011, 10:30   #5185
Senior - BHPian

I had sent them an email asking for pricing for removal of swirls. They said it would depend on the condition of the car/ paint and they cannot quote till they see the car.
The problem is I don't know when I will be able to take the car right across the city from East end to West end, so I have not contacted them again so far.
I am very close to the 3M at Viman Nagar, but I don't want to visit them (been there once just out of curiosity to see what products I can buy and the guy answered a few questions and then disappeared in the middle of the conversation to attend another customer).
Old 1st December 2011, 11:49   #5186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^@BusyBee: However, if you are using chemicals (found in many shampoos and detailing liquids), then will this not contaminate the water that you are planning to recycle?
How exactly do you recycle this contaminated water further down in your process?
In short everything is chemical. Question is if it is bio-degradeable. I mentioned that I use a well for the water supply. My soak pit has a couple of layers of simple cloth and non-woven to pick up any oil grease residue from the wash. This is changed periodically, dried and incinerated in a simple air blown (old hair drier modified) incinerator made from a 15kg square tin. The filtered water is simply allowed to percolate down through a sand, charcoal pit. The oil & grease picked up in a general wash is minuscule. Water coming back from the well is sparkling clean.

One important thing is that I use the current generation water-emulsion based eco-friendly products from SMARTWAX of USA, distributed by Pete's in India. It is more expensive and does not leave any significant residue. Only when the rotary pads are washed after a major detailing job will you get any contaminated water and frankly it is much less than what a normal washing machine generates in waste water.

The car wash shampoos are a delight to use on previously SMARTWAX'd cars. A very minute quantity of carwash, 1/6 bucket of water and a quick wipe down. A quick spray from the pressure washer and a wipe down will finish the job - about 15mins and very little water.

Cheers and have fun!
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:19   #5187
Senior - BHPian

1. Is there a better car polish than Sonax's at 390 rupees? Objective is to polish the car before applying collinite 845, no plans of claying it but would want to clean the surface as much possible as from a polish.

2. I understand that it'd be a little abrasive to the clearcoat, so what precaution should I take while rubbing it on the car, like not applying too much pressure or something like that?
Old 2nd December 2011, 16:50   #5188
Senior - BHPian

You'd want a paint cleaner or a cleaner wax. You can try Megs colorX. Its quite good if you want to do a one step light decontamination and minor swirl and oxidation removal. Make sure you have a few applicators at hand as paint cleaning with cleaner waxes will soil the applicator pads if the paint isnt clayed. Squeaky clean and bonded contaminant free surface will make polishing a lot easier and cleaner!

Whatever wax you use in the end will adhere better too!
Old 2nd December 2011, 17:45   #5189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
2. I understand that it'd be a little abrasive to the clearcoat, so what precaution should I take while rubbing it on the car, like not applying too much pressure or something like that?
Since you asked about pressure to be applied, may I ask: Are you going to polish by hand? or by machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
You'd want a paint cleaner or a cleaner wax. You can try Megs colorX. Its quite good if you want to do a one step light decontamination and minor swirl and oxidation removal.
Is ColorX helpful in removal of swirls by hand?
Old 2nd December 2011, 20:43   #5190
Senior - BHPian

Well I'm planning to do it by hand only. But I think what Sohail says makes sense, about how a wax/sealant would bond more firmly if the surface is cleaner. Another thing part of the plan was getting a WD40 bottle and spray it almost everywhere on the car to get rid of contaminants that are strongly bonded, and then polish it followed by collinite.

I'll give WD40 + Sonax Polish & Collinite 845 a try for now. May be after a couple of months add a clay kit to the set.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks