Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 10:56   #5326
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
My Query may sound off topic here.

But wanted to know, how can the Old Aluminum Parts / Accessories can get back their shine, without motorised buffing.

Are any polishes available that do a decent job ?
I reckon crossing eyes over a Aluminium polish at Reliance Autozone a month ago. Can't re-collect the name of the brand. Give it a shot though!
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 10:59   #5327
Senior - BHPian

The age old formula was white Colgate tooth powder mixed with a little vinegar.

However, there is a polish available by the name of "Silvo", it really brings out a neat shine on aluminium, silver & chromed objects. Try it out, I am sure you would be happy.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
My Query may sound off topic here.

But wanted to know, how can the Old Aluminum Parts / Accessories can get back their shine, without motorised buffing.

Are any polishes available that do a decent job ?
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 11:59   #5328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Just wanted to know the reason behind this point. Can you please tell as to how this practice can help?
I use Collinite 915 wax, so my view is in respect to any paste or liquid wax.

Whenever you buff the wax it gives out white fine particles which is the excess wax and it gets flown over to all the parts. Say for instance if you buff the doors first the white articles just fall down on ground.
Than if you start applying wax on the roof and than buff it, the white particles have the tendency to get spread over on all the four side of the car.
So now that you have had the doors buffed you again need to clean it because the white particles have stuck to the doors which came when you buffed the roof.

So its always better to have top to down approach. I have learned it the hard way. Even when you wash the car always follow the top to down approach.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 12:54   #5329
BHPian

Quote:
But wanted to know, how can the Old Aluminum Parts / Accessories can get back their shine, without motorised buffing. Are any polishes available that do a decent job ?
Quote:
The age old formula was white Colgate tooth powder mixed with a little vinegar.

there is a polish available by the name of "Silvo", it really brings out a neat shine on aluminium, silver & chromed objects. Try it out, I am sure you would be happy.
When you start thing out of the box, many things will come to your mind. Essentially, you can use use most polishes creatively. 'Brasso' & 'Silvo' were old favourites. Very effective too.

For metals and stainless steel, you can get 'Jewelers Rouge' (a fine Iron oxide dust used to polish Gold & Silver) and fine brass brushes from jewelers supply shops. The trick is to go from the coarser medium to the finest till you get the desired effect. Protect all polished surfaces from oxidation with whatever is appropriate - wax is good.

Try things out and have fun.
Old 12th January 2012, 14:50   #5330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
When you start thing out of the box, many things will come to your mind. Essentially, you can use use most polishes creatively. 'Brasso' & 'Silvo' were old favourites. Very effective too.

For metals and stainless steel, you can get 'Jewelers Rouge' (a fine Iron oxide dust used to polish Gold & Silver) and fine brass brushes from jewelers supply shops. The trick is to go from the coarser medium to the finest till you get the desired effect. Protect all polished surfaces from oxidation with whatever is appropriate - wax is good.

Try things out and have fun.
Thanks for the inputs Basky * Blackfire.

I think i will go ahead with the Brasso & Silvo and try them out.

Will post the update after use.
Old 12th January 2012, 15:30   #5331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Just ordered Mother Clay bar kit from Ebay Mothers California Gold® Clay Bar System | eBay
The kit contains 2 clay bars, one detailer and micro-fibre towel. Price:1350/-. Is it a OK deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Got this delivered finally!
Will post my experience with the clay bars over the weekend.
Hey Ajay,
Do post how good the product is after you are done detailing your Vista. I was too looking at ebay for car detailing products and this thing had my attention for a while.
Somehow, I didn't order it. Make sure to have before and after pics, although your Vista is already spic and span.
Old 12th January 2012, 16:00   #5332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hey Ajay,
Do post how good the product is after you are done detailing your Vista. I was too looking at ebay for car detailing products and this thing had my attention for a while.
Somehow, I didn't order it. Make sure to have before and after pics, although your Vista is already spic and span.
Thank you for the compliments Sir ji. Even though I try to maintain the shine, I can see a few tar/oil marks and also I have a prominent mark on the bonnet of some sort of sticky thing fallen from a tree. I hope the clay removes that for me. Will surely post some pics.
Old 12th January 2012, 16:15   #5333
BHPian

Thanks to some roadian FOOL, I have a scratch on the bonnet of my fabia and stretched all along the driver's door side of Candy White Fabia. ARRGH ! Been swearing at whoever that raskull is so much so that his forefathers must be up from their graves by now.. Pardon my frustration guys.

It appears to me that some guy who's been keeping watch couldn't bear the sight of my car gleaming, and decided to scratch it with a piece of stone or some metal. There's a scratch mark on the side window too.

Is there something you guys think I can do about it? It's not a deep one. And thankfully, it's not so visible from a distance because of the WHITE. Please don't tell me that repainting is the only option. :-(
Old 12th January 2012, 16:24   #5334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Thanks to some roadian FOOL, I have a scratch on the bonnet of my fabia and stretched all along the driver's door side of Candy White Fabia. ARRGH ! Been swearing at whoever that raskull is so much so that his forefathers must be up from their graves by now.. Pardon my frustration guys.
If it is not a deep scratch, you can easily get rid of it with any scratch remover, such as Formula One Scratch remover. It works well for me. Only where you can see the metal, you can not do anything but repaint. What I do is apply a good quantity of Scratch remover liquid on the scratch, leave it for a few minutes and then use a a cloth to remove it.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 20:28   #5335
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way to remove or reduce the appearance of a scrratch on the interior grey plastics ? The rough finish type
Old 12th January 2012, 20:33   #5336
Senior - BHPian

Do not use Brasso for aluminium objects.....use that strictly for copper utensils. It doesn't work that well for aluminium.

Also if possible, try to take pictures 'before' & 'after' the process.

Drive safe.

Quote:
I think i will go ahead with the Brasso & Silvo and try them out.

Will post the update after use.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 12th January 2012 at 20:35.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 11:07   #5337
BHPian

Quote:
Do not use Brasso for aluminium objects.....use that strictly for copper utensils. It doesn't work that well for aluminium.
It works, my friend, it works - I have used it since my school days in the '70s when hardly anything was available. You can get a near mirror finish with some effort. It is a low cost solution with the only major problem being the solvent which can be harsh on the skin.

I now use a product known as Blue- B-Gone which is far superior, expensive and not easily available.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-bluebgone.jpg
Old 13th January 2012, 13:39   #5338
Senior - BHPian

I know it works mate, but all I am saying is that it's not the best bet for aluminium objects.

Quote:
It works, my friend, it works - I have used it since my school days in the '70s when hardly anything was available. You can get a near mirror finish with some effort. It is a low cost solution with the only major problem being the solvent which can be harsh on the skin.

I now use a product known as Blue- B-Gone which is far superior, expensive and not easily available.
Old 13th January 2012, 16:08   #5339
BHPian

Quote:
Polishing Aluminum is a tedious & lengthy task. You will have to use different grade sand papers ranging from 400 till 1200 along with a liquid chrome polish step-by-step.

Quote:
Protect all polished surfaces from oxidation with whatever is appropriate - wax is good.
You mean to say if wax is applied, it prevents oxidation? I don't think so. Which wax you are referring?
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 16:35   #5340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Polishing Aluminum is a tedious & lengthy task. You will have to use different grade sand papers ranging from 400 till 1200 along with a liquid chrome polish step-by-step.

You mean to say if wax is applied, it prevents oxidation? I don't think so. Which wax you are referring?
From my personal experience waxing does slows the process of oxidation. If you want to prevent it then you can get it lacquered.
BTW I have experimented waxing(old school Waxpol) on my old gramophone horn leaving only half the horn waxed and the other half exposed to air.

Most Viewed