Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 22:23   #5401
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quick question for the gurus, I just got my bumper repainted I was not happy with the finish and they first waxed it and then after I insisted polished it using a rotary.I remember reading that waxing is not recommended for the first month so should I try cleaning it off and let the paint cure properly?
Old 10th February 2012, 22:55   #5402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle
Quick question for the gurus, I just got my bumper repainted I was not happy with the finish and they first waxed it and then after I insisted polished it using a rotary.I remember reading that waxing is not recommended for the first month so should I try cleaning it off and let the paint cure properly?
Can you elaborate on the problem with the paint finish?

And yea, the newly repainted panels have to be bare for ~ 45 days!

Use a light polish/vim wash to remove the wax! New paint is too delicate for IPA as well as tar removers etc.(dupont prepsol also works)

You can use glazes on it in the meantime, they let the paint outgass + provide some gloss and satisfaction of working on the panel
Old 10th February 2012, 23:26   #5403
Senior - BHPian

Oops sorry for not elaborating - full details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2677075

The finish had a powery feel to it like raised dots all over, extreme orange peel look to it and overall dull not the high gloss factory paint.
Old 11th February 2012, 16:26   #5404
BHPian

I just got the Coido 6015 Car Polisher from Buy Coido 6015 Car Polisher (wax & Polish) 230v 50hz | Lowest prices on Automobiles at Rediff Shopping..

I have a black Chevrolet Cruze LTZ. Any recommendations for which polish I should use? I hope it can be ordered online..

Would appreciate inputs. Thanks in advance

Last edited by darthvader : 11th February 2012 at 16:48.
Old 11th February 2012, 19:11   #5405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
I just got the Coido 6015 Car Polisher from Buy Coido 6015 Car Polisher (wax & Polish) 230v 50hz | Lowest prices on Automobiles at Rediff Shopping..

I have a black Chevrolet Cruze LTZ. Any recommendations for which polish I should use? I hope it can be ordered online..

Would appreciate inputs. Thanks in advance
Looks good, Also it's an random orbit one which gets better results.
Polish and Process is based on the swirls you have, If you search in this thread there are lots of good guidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
My Karcher K2.180:

Back after an oblivion. During a recent trip to Melbourne purchased
Congrats, Did you got any wax polisher or not yet?

I'm trying to get AR Blue Clean AR383 from US, but only issue is I have to get step down transformer for it.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 11th February 2012 at 19:18.
Old 11th February 2012, 21:58   #5406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle
Oops sorry for not elaborating - full details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2677075

The finish had a powery feel to it like raised dots all over, extreme orange peel look to it and overall dull not the high gloss factory paint.

Bottle. That is a very poor paint job. Demand a re paint or get few more coats of clear coat on it so that you can sand and polish to get back factory finish
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 22:36   #5407
Senior - BHPian

Yeah sent an e-mail to VW customer care waiting to see how they respond
Old 12th February 2012, 00:17   #5408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Congrats, Did you got any wax polisher or not yet?

I'm trying to get AR Blue Clean AR383 from US, but only issue is I have to get step down transformer for it.
Thanks. DA will need to wait till I have a my own garage to work around. One needs a good expertise in working with DA's as it can cause more trouble if not used properly. Getting pads is not easy in India and the cost is also high. DA is the last remaining on my list for tools for now.
AR Blue Clean AR383 looks good with specs, 1900 psi sounds better than 1595 psi of my Karcher but the only problem there is the 120V. You shall always require a step down converter. Why not try for a 220V high pressure cleaner which will be more versatile and easy to work with.
Old 12th February 2012, 02:09   #5409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is a very poor paint job. Demand a re paint
Indeed. A neighbour of mine resprayed his own car in the street. After several coats, he did one that came out orange-peel. He sanded the whole layer off the whole car.
Quote:
1900 psi sounds better than 1595 psi of my Karcher
You do not want to subject your car to the maximum output of a pressure washer anyway.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 06:55   #5410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
You do not want to subject your car to the maximum output of a pressure washer anyway.

Very very valid point. I have a Bosch aquatec 100plus whose pressure rating is 90 bar. I used a nozzle which shoots out pointed water once at our santro and the paint ripped off clean from the bumper!!!!

ofcourse using the adjustable nozzle when it was set to high pressure pointed stream was purely my oversight. Just wanted to share what damage these pressure washers can cause even with lesser pressure rating!!
Old 12th February 2012, 11:51   #5411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Looks good, Also it's an random orbit one which gets better results.
Polish and Process is based on the swirls you have, If you search in this thread there are lots of good guidelines.
I am looking for a good liquid compound of the kind used here

Video: How to Apply Buffer Polish to a Surface | eHow.com

The closest I got to it is Buy Carnauba Wash & Wax Car Polish | Lowest prices on Automobiles at Rediff Shopping.. The other waxes are solid (like the local waxpol one gets for bikes). Is this a good idea for a buffer?
Old 12th February 2012, 20:29   #5412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This Gentleman writes a step by step guide on how he polished and restored his cars paintwork to look as good as new. The article is really detailed and has pictures to explain each step as well. A real eye opener and a fun read, i think, for anyone who is really serious about taking care of their car. Enjoy...

here's the link:

2006 Acura TL in Nighthawk Black Pearl (part 1) – Detailed Image

Hi there,

Pardon me for this question but I recall another thread on detailing which also was initiated by you and had a long and detailed article by you as its first post.

Now I can not locate it.

Can you please point me to it?
Old 12th February 2012, 21:55   #5413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Can you please point me to it?
Is this the one you're looking for?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...car-clean.html
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 00:00   #5414
BHPian

I cleaned my car today using one of the spray gun used at the barber shop instead of the usual two bucket method which I normally do every weekend. Car was not dirty but there was quite a bit of dust settled on it. This was the procedure followed, mixed 1 part of car shampoo(Amway car wash) with almost 10 parts of water in the spray gun to make something like a quick detailing solution. Sprayed it panel by panel and wiped it off with a MF cloth. Again the panel was wiped with a dry MF cloth. It really saved a lot of time and water. Using one filling of the spray gun I was able to clean the whole car.

Now is there anything wrong that I’m doing here? Because I just used a shampoo solution to clean and never used plain water to clean again Or is the shampoo so much diluted that it really doesn’t matter to clean again with plain water.
Old 13th February 2012, 14:50   #5415
Senior - BHPian

I observed Amway Carwash does a good job. It was recommended that a 5 ml car wash should be mixed with 4 litres of water. Quite cost-effective.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks