Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:11   #5386
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
SUN - PLease check is that PC7424XP the 240 V version for International customers ?

Also - Meguiars India have updated their site & will start selling quite a good range, which also includes the G220. I hear distribution channel is being worked out currently.

G220V2 Dual Action Polisher - Meguiars India
Thanks.
The PC tool is 120 V - I was just checking it out - no intention to buy that.

The Indian price for G220V2 is Rs. 14288. Hope the price comes down in the future.
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:43   #5387
BHPian

@Thoma,

Sorry i cant help you on chipping. but the small tar particles, its pretty easy, i got the same on driving over newly laid road on my White Fluidic Verna.. just dip a dry cloth in petrol and wipe it off.. its comes out very easily.. No need for polish or rubbing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
She has also attracted small tar particles towards her side bottom.

Last edited by esranjith : 3rd February 2012 at 14:47.
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:39   #5388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esranjith View Post
@Thoma,
just dip a dry cloth in petrol and wipe it off.. its comes out very easily.. No need for polish or rubbing..
Thanks, but petrol! Alright, I have heard of wiping with diesel, are you sure petrol won't take away any paint or make it dull? Moreover, I wanted to give the car a polish more for the swirls than the tar. Since I have read in many post suggesting claying, polishing, applying sealant and/or waxing in that order, my doubt was that if we are anyway going for a polish, then is there a real use claying?
Old 5th February 2012, 13:22   #5389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have noticed tiny (1-2 mm diameter) chipping of paint on her sides towards the back (nothing towards the front door) every time she comes after a wash from the service center. The adviser is so sure that the chipping has happened due to small stones being hit on the vehicle! How true is this? Why is it happening only towards the side backs? Even the body panel has got exposed in these tiny chipping.
So the only solution seems to go for a re-paint? But then how do I protect her thereafter? Would teflon (or whatever is available from 3M) coating have prevented this?

The re-paint is gonna hurt my pocket big as I have the chipping on both left and right back door panels. I think I might settle with a wax, just to protect the body panel from rusting.

But then, does the chipping suggest that the paint quality on the Beat is inferior? I never had this issue on other cars like the i10, Matiz and Baleno all which were never babied like the Beat! Sad!
Old 5th February 2012, 14:34   #5390
Distinguished - BHPian

Stone is harder than paint. Throw stones at paint, it chips. Small pieces of grit, gravel etc: stones.

Whilst some paint is better at resisting than other paint, ultimately, there is not a lot we can do to prevent it. This is true anywhere in the world, but expecially in a a city like Chennai where they don't even bother to clear away gravel from building, road works, etc. I think your Kerala roads are a bit better in this respect.

Teflon won't help. Teflon is largely a waste of time (my opinion: there is better-informed info here on T-BHP). All it is is slippery, like a non-stick pan, so, in theory, the surface doesn't hold dirt and is easier to clean.

I'm just buying a new car (and with the resolution that I'll look after it better than the old one), and I am not interested in teflon but may well let 3M sell me their paint sealer and UV-resist coating.

There is a major trade, in UK, in touch-up kits in specific, correct, colours and including clear coats. There is also availability of door-step-service scratch and chip touch-up guys-in-vans who do good work. We need this! Business opportunity, guys!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 13:48   #5391
Senior - BHPian

I think someone here posted a link about some sort of a protective clear film that could be applied to a car to prevent from such scratches, but I am unable to locate that.

However, if I am thinking correct, Lumar has such a product & when I met their representatives at the Auto Expo this year, it seemed that the company was keen on launching it in India. And this film could be applied to plastic or metal parts alike.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 6th February 2012 at 13:50.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:29   #5392
BHPian

Guys, is it possible to remove swirls by hand without a buffing machine? There are no professional detailers in my town so DIY is the only route. My 8 months old Punto has minor swirls in certain areas (thanks to the lousy dealership). Now I plan to do the complete detailing exercise myself and looking for swirl removal products and techniques for the DIY.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:45   #5393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Guys, is it possible to remove swirls by hand without a buffing machine? There are no professional detailers in my town so DIY is the only route. My 8 months old Punto has minor swirls in certain areas (thanks to the lousy dealership). Now I plan to do the complete detailing exercise myself and looking for swirl removal products and techniques for the DIY.
Here ya go:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...Swirls-By-Hand
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 18:46   #5394
Senior - BHPian

My Karcher K2.180:

Back after an oblivion. During a recent trip to Melbourne purchased Karcher K2.180 from Bunnings Warehouse. It costed me A$135. Even purchased a few accessories for it too.
1. Karcher 0.3l Foam Nozzle
2. Karcher Water Filter
3. Hose Connector Set.

Karcher is the best one could get and the quality is good even though it is Made in China. Where I stayed at my relatives place in Melbourne tried it on their 3 cars Subaru Liberty, Honda Accord Euro and Mazda MX3 sedan. In Australia people don't wash their car that often due to scarcity of water. Karcher did a fab job. Mazda was not washed in 2yrs and after using Karcher and a bit of elbow grease it was back to its showroom condition. My relatives were impressed and they were getting themselves a Karcher too.

Only thing remaining is Torin 3 Ton jack stands to have a nice detailing on my Vento.

Here are a few pictures of the Karcher.

The Pandora box.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01957.jpg

All the parts after opening up the Pandora box.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc01964.jpg

Water filter
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02003.jpg

Foam Nozzle 0.3L
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc02004.jpg

After assembling it all up. View from all the sides.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03111.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03112.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03113.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03114.jpg

The hose connector.
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-dsc03115.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 19:18   #5395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
My Karcher K2.180:

Back after an oblivion. During a recent trip to Melbourne purchased Karcher K2.180 from Bunnings Warehouse. It costed me A$135. Even purchased a few accessories for it too.
1. Karcher 0.3l Foam Nozzle
2. Karcher Water Filter
3. Hose Connector Set.
Super.

Thanks for the pics, when can I drop in ?
Old 9th February 2012, 20:13   #5396
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice-looking machine, and good accessories. I'm sure the filter will pay off, given our impure water; I got a similar for my Bosch from UK.

Let's all cry together: why are these devices so overpriced in India?

I'm sure yours is a higher model with better spec/features than the Bosch that paid around 8,000 for here, several years ago.

By the way, speaking of impure water, I installed a Rs.2,000 filter in the supply to our roof tank. It has a wool-wound inner core. This is not going to remove any micro-oranisms, let alone minerals (so I don't know if it will improve car washing), but at least the water to our taps will be physically cleaner, with no grit, or even sand, in it.
Old 10th February 2012, 10:08   #5397
Senior - BHPian

Off-topic:
@Thad: I am searching for a water filter for our tank (they are all really dirty with all sorts of impurities).
Can you give me some pointers?

@el lobo: Very nice machine.
Bottle jacks are available at Opera House starting Rs. 450 (though bottle jacks need higer clearance).
Old 10th February 2012, 13:02   #5398
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but petrol! Alright, I have heard of wiping with diesel, are you sure petrol won't take away any paint or make it dull? Moreover, I wanted to give the car a polish more for the swirls than the tar. Since I have read in many post suggesting claying, polishing, applying sealant and/or waxing in that order, my doubt was that if we are anyway going for a polish, then is there a real use claying?
Sorry for the delayed response. For the stone chipping, you dont need to paint the entire panel. Also, if you paint the entire panel it will set you back by a nice amount and be a pain when you resell.

Here is what you can do, locate a DuPont paint shop in your city. They stock some material which you will need. you will need a 1000 and 2000 sand paper, putty, paint and clear coat with hardener kit. And a small can of zorrik 88 (available at most hardware stores).

First clean out the spots. Let it dry for some time. Use Cotton buds to clean it, ensure that you dont leave cotton strands behind. (tip- dont use johnsons, use local brands they are more tightly wound). After this spray the spot with Zorrik. Ensure that the area around the spot is covered *(masking tape + paper). Zorrik typically does not harm paint. Leave zorrik for 2-3 hours. Then clean again with the cotton bud. You dont need to dry it completely, typicallyy it should evaporate. The Zorrik will protect from further rusting.

Next use the 2000 and 1000 sand papers to smoothen out the paint spot. DONT smoothen out everything, use a finger or some thing and only sand INSIDE the hole. Clean out the dust by blowing with a dry blower (hair dryer is a nice option) dont blow with your mouth as you are putting moisture in it.After this use the putty and fill the hole keep pressing the putty with a cotton bud without the cotton tip (cut off) so that it goes in every crevice. Be liberal with the putty. Use the back of a spoon to flatten it against the hole, leave it to dry - typically overnight. Once Dry use the sand papers to get it to the level of the rest of the paint, then sand a little more so you can just feel a small difference between the rest of the paint at this. Blow the residue off.

Use the paint - Stir well, put in some thinner (available at the same paint shop) stir it really well. If you have a spray gun (like you get with vaccum cleaner) you can use that as well or a artists paint brush will do. Touch up the spot with this. Ensure there is no dripping. I do this by dipping the paint brush in paint then wiping it on a tissue to take of the excess and then just touch touch. Dont do too much. One coat only. If you still see a little gaps in the paint DONT try to fill it. Let it dry for 3-4 hours. Do another coat. Let dry overnight. Next day you will be able to see the difference in paint. In case it darker compared to the rest of the paint, dont worry you did good, if it is lighter just do one thin dark coat (less thinner).

After this, give two - layers of clear coat using the same method. Ensure that you mix hardner with the clear coat. typically the ratio is 1:2:3 - clear coat:hardner:thinner.

Let the coats dry for at least 3-4 hours between coats. And overnight finally.

Though it sounds a long process, it does not take really long (except for the drying paint) Then all you need is a coat of collinite845!

About claying, there is a difference in claying and polishing. Polishing removes a very thin layer of clear coat. If you put too much pressure while applying you can leave swirls behind. Claying on the other hand will remove any stuck on impurities including tar without scratching the paint. Just ensure that you knead the clay bar while claying.

hope it helps.
torquecurve is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 13:34   #5399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Thanks for the pics, when can I drop in ?
Whenever you wish. Let me know via PM any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very nice-looking machine, and good accessories. I'm sure the filter will pay off, given our impure water; I got a similar for my Bosch from UK.

Let's all cry together: [i]why are these devices so overpriced in India?
The only reason for getting water filter was the impurities and dirt present in the municipal water. Karcher K2.180 does come with fine mesh water filter but for added protection to motor got an external water filter. In Melbourne the water is so clean that you can drink it directly from tap no purification needed.

The reason for the high pressure washer to be overpriced are the duties that are applicable here. Had previously inquired about the basic model of Karcher it was nearly Rs. 20,000. For once I had a heart attack listening to the cost but did some search and it comes way cheaper with better features in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@el lobo: Very nice machine.
Bottle jacks are available at Opera House starting Rs. 450 (though bottle jacks need higer clearance).
I'm planning to get jack stands instead of Torin 3 Ton from Opera House. Should be able to make the purchase this weekend.
Old 10th February 2012, 13:52   #5400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Off-topic:
@Thad: I am searching for a water filter for our tank (they are all really dirty with all sorts of impurities).
Can you give me some pointers?
Not so off-topic For those who desire a good result from washing their car, water impurities are an issue. Even in countries where the tap water is drinkable, there will still be mineral content. London water, for instance, is very "hard" and will leave marks all over your paintwork and glass if allowed to evaporate.

On sourcing the filter to at least get the grit out (since learnt from the net that we should call this a sediment filter), I can't help. We got a RO purifier from Zero-B five years ago; our maintenance man went indipendent, and we stayed with him. He got, and fitted the filter for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
The only reason for getting water filter was the impurities and dirt present in the municipal water. ... In Melbourne the water is so clean that you can drink it directly from tap no purification needed.
Likewise in London, of course. Crazy that the filter is not on sale here! It could be a must-have small extra sale for every machine sold. Every little counts, as retail management here seems yet to learn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks